THE NEW LOOK OF THE NEW OVC 2015

buckeyes41
Riding the Bench

Re: THE NEW LOOK OF THE NEW OVC 2015

Post by buckeyes41 »

Im pretty sure that the previews matchups are; GAHS/PHS, RHS/FHS, CHS/CG AND SP/IHS. As far as the order, not sure. I will assume SP/IHS will be the last game since Ironton is hosting this year.

LetsGoPSU
SE

Post by LetsGoPSU »

change is inevitable, the league should prosper imo, Portsmouth is not the Portsmouth of the 80,s and 90,s and may not reach that level again in football. I think back to the days of the early 80,s when Dawson Bryant was a pre season match up for us , they played us hard each year and walked away with a win in 81. Also South Point beat Portsmouth that year as well.It should be competitive .All leagues have blow out matchups, its up to those programs to strive to be better

Seops123
Riding the Bench

Post by Seops123 »

Change is a difficult thing for tradition. Ironton's history is a little frightening. If you look at the conference on paper you would say Ironton almost every year. But games aren't played on paper and the other OVC schools will want their piece of the pie. In basketball the OVC is a premier conference. There will be some many close games and teams fighting for a the crown every year. I could see the winner having up to three league losses.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

The Ironton thread talks of more transfers from Coal Grove to Ironton. Portsmouth and GAHS were great additions to the OVC. Ironton will continue to beat CG, SP, and RH worse and worse. More kids will transfer to Ironton.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

2trap_4ever wrote:YTB, I haven't been on here for awhile so I will comment for ya. I have always said I like the new additions I just don't want the new additions thinking the own the conference and should have say over everything. I still believe in my Grove and I think we are going to have a very good year. Possibly give Ironton a good game down here in the Grove.

Feels pretty good to be posting again.
it has been a while man. great to hear from ya trap

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

The Guvna wrote:I'm with you Tiger, the additions have done nothing but strengthen the conference in all sports, but especially in football. I guess some would rather us be like the SOC and keep shutting out everyone in our backyard (namely Portsmouth and Ironton), split into two divisions under the guise of "school size and competition" and get stuck with a 4 game league schedule.

Change isn't always a bad thing and there is a lot of it in the league this year. New coaches at Portsmouth, Coal Grove, South Point and Fairland. New teams coming in this year and next. New and old rivalries being born and reborn. A lot of excitement.

Now, I have to admit, I did not initially embrace all this change overnight, and I don't expect everyone else to do so. I did not initially care for the expansion of the league or the coaching change in Grove (it was more how they did it than anything else). That being said, I am thrilled to see the excitement here in the Grove and love the idea of the level of competition that has been introduced to the league. Everyone keeps saying how Ironton/Portsmouth/Gallia will dominate blah blah blah, but I have faith my Hornets (and others) will rise to the occasion against the Big 3 outsiders and do just fine. It's hard to believe football season starts in two days!
great post guvna. i'll admit I was tee totally against it at 1st myself. but have warmed up to it. and it makes more sense to me now.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

seops123 wrote:Change is a difficult thing for tradition. Ironton's history is a little frightening. If you look at the conference on paper you would say Ironton almost every year. But games aren't played on paper and the other OVC schools will want their piece of the pie. In basketball the OVC is a premier conference. There will be some many close games and teams fighting for a the crown every year. I could see the winner having up to three league losses.

great posts seops

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Westfan wrote:The Ironton thread talks of more transfers from Coal Grove to Ironton. Portsmouth and GAHS were great additions to the OVC. Ironton will continue to beat CG, SP, and RH worse and worse. More kids will transfer to Ironton.

westfan I ordered you a bigger stick from amazon fer you to stir the pot. it should be there anyday.---------------juss yankin yer chain ole buddy.

IBTT
All Conference

Post by IBTT »

I believe basketball in the OVC will be one of the toughest conferences in the state of Ohio for many years to come. Great talent in every team in the conference including Gallia for years to come. football wise, this has been a large change for the schools who have been in this league for many years. It was getting to the point where football in that conference was just a filler sport. Not a sport that everyone looked forward to. Heck almost more exciting watching the halftime show than the game itself at times. Fan support was minimal. Talk alone since the change has seemed to revive the desire for these programs to show school pride and to fight for the bragging rights of a conference that now means something to win it. I believe it is way too early to think kids will transfer to Ironton from other schools to be on a winning program in the future. This year was a different year than most. You had a lot of conflict in the grove, some kids didn't want to put their high school careers in jeopardy wondering what might happen next. My opinion, as long as the town gets behind their coach, he will be a winner. Rock Hill has made some good off season changes too. The pieces are there. It's only a matter of how long it takes to put them all together. Ironton has been working for a number of years to get back on top itself. It didn't take a day to get there. It took planning and hard work by the whole coaching staff and the kids.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

IBTT wrote:I believe basketball in the OVC will be one of the toughest conferences in the state of Ohio for many years to come. Great talent in every team in the conference including Gallia for years to come. football wise, this has been a large change for the schools who have been in this league for many years. It was getting to the point where football in that conference was just a filler sport. Not a sport that everyone looked forward to. Heck almost more exciting watching the halftime show than the game itself at times. Fan support was minimal. Talk alone since the change has seemed to revive the desire for these programs to show school pride and to fight for the bragging rights of a conference that now means something to win it. I believe it is way too early to think kids will transfer to Ironton from other schools to be on a winning program in the future. This year was a different year than most. You had a lot of conflict in the grove, some kids didn't want to put their high school careers in jeopardy wondering what might happen next. My opinion, as long as the town gets behind their coach, he will be a winner. Rock Hill has made some good off season changes too. The pieces are there. It's only a matter of how long it takes to put them all together. Ironton has been working for a number of years to get back on top itself. It didn't take a day to get there. It took planning and hard work by the whole coaching staff and the kids.
Basketball should be really good.
But shouldn't teams at least have their first practice before they claim to be back or on top?
If Ironton is as loaded as you say they are, should you really be claiming a freshman is gonna play varsity before the first practice as you have in previous posts?

bubba_smurf
Waterboy

Post by bubba_smurf »

They might be related.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

artisgilmore wrote:They might be related.
Surely not :lol:

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

WESTFAN, DID YER BIGGER STIR STICK EVER ARRIVE THAT I GOT YOU OLE BUDDY.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

You're Tiger Bait wrote:WESTFAN, DID YER BIGGER STIR STICK EVER ARRIVE THAT I GOT YOU OLE BUDDY.
Yes it did. We'll use it to stir IBTT's pot of bull**** soup. :122245

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

I thought you'd enjoy a newer , bigger one.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

how many players are out for the ovc teams. I hear ironton had 48, but I think that includes frosh.

Matt52
JV Team

Post by Matt52 »

Rumor around Coal Grove is that we have around 60 boys come out for the team. (Now remember I said this is a rumor. I think we all know how those small town football rumors go)

Docw
Riding the Bench

Post by Docw »

At the midnight practice there were probably around 45 - 50.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

great turnout for coal grove, even with a coaching change.

IBTT
All Conference

Post by IBTT »

Both Ironton and Coal Grove are at around 50.

Return to “Football”