Vinton Co. Coaching Search - 2015

Dundas
SEOPS

Vinton Co. Coaching Search - 2015

Post by Dundas »

Currently, the Vinton County school board is mulling over whether or not to bring back Coach Burleson. A decision should be made at the next board meeting in January. Burleson has, lead VC for 5 seasons compiling a record of 10-40. His best season was in 2013 as VC ended its long streak of losing seasons. 2014 was a bit if a setback as VC went 2-8 but managed to knock off rival wellston for a second straight year. Thoughts?
Last edited by Dundas on Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Poo Bear
SEOP

Re: New Coach at Vinton County?

Post by Poo Bear »

I would love to see coach O'Rourke or coach Queen , or even better both of them, return and get back to smash mouth football. Hard nosed defense and ball control offense.

louie_15
Freshman Team

Post by louie_15 »

I won't express an opinion whether Burleson should be let go or not. But if a change is decided, bringing back an old coach from the past would not be the answer. I can guarantee Queen would never consider coming back even as an assistant after they fired him in 2000. And coach O'Rourke was a great coach without a doubt, but he also had the best class in V.C. history to work with. The wishbone was new to the area in the early 90's and was successful. Every coach since O'Rourke has tried to mimic O' Rourke's smash mouth offensive mind set and numbers and wins has disappeared.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

What do you think they should do Louie?

louie_15
Freshman Team

Post by louie_15 »

IMO, Looking at V.C. and their situation. I would like think you would want a coach that would bring in some new faces as your assistants with new ideas. Nothing against the assistants now, but bringing in a new coach and him keeping the same faces around the program to help him has proved to be unsuccessful. Then most importantly, try to develop a system to get your athletes involved, especially on the perimeter. Running a ground and pound offense and your athletes on the perimeter blocking every play is why A LOT of V.C.'s athletes are in open gym in october rather than on the football field. Think about the dozens of athletes that has played basketball in past ten years that has not played football. Open things up, get athletes involved in the scheme, and i think kids will get interested. But thats just my opinion, I've never coached a day in my life but been around football long enough to know that if you don't keep kids interested there is to many other things to do now a days.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Well said Lou. If VC does decide to go in a different direction, they should look at some new assistants. I live justy and I think he has taken the program from a zero in his first year to a 3 or maybe even a 4 now. But with that said, the question I have is, is that as far as he can take them? Imo, VC regressed after their 5-5 season in 2013. VC very well could have won 5 games in 2014 and possibly 6. I have seen things during the last couple seasons that leave me scratching my head. But, like I said before, there's np question they are much better than where they were 5 years ago. Another thing that Burleson has on his side is, back to back wins over wellston.

hardhitter ll
Varsity

Post by hardhitter ll »

I hope they don't base the decision on beating Wellston. Didn't they just get rid of their coach? Get someone in there with some experience in a winning program, and one that can get kids to play. Also a strong personalty that can stand up to any coach in the system that encourages kids to specialize in one sport, if that is a problem ;-) ;-) ;-)

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Burleson has been at VC for 5 seasons. Before him, the Vikings were led by Nolan Yates for 4 seasons.

Eaglepapaw
S

Post by Eaglepapaw »

Dundas wrote:Well said Lou. If VC does decide to go in a different direction, they should look at some new assistants. I live justy and I think he has taken the program from a zero in his first year to a 3 or maybe even a 4 now. But with that said, the question I have is, is that as far as he can take them? Imo, VC regressed after their 5-5 season in 2013. VC very well could have won 5 games in 2014 and possibly 6. I have seen things during the last couple seasons that leave me scratching my head. But, like I said before, there's np question they are much better than where they were 5 years ago. Another thing that Burleson has on his side is, back to back wins over wellston.
Isn't it up to the coach to hire assistants?. Assistants can only coach as much as the head coach will let them so you can't blame the problems on them.Assistants also had a hand in the back to back wins over Wellston. JMO

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Completely agree pap. Imo, there are a couple assistants I'd like to see stay if changes are made. I think Mendes brings a lot to the table and a couple others as well. But you are correct, if a change is made, the new head coach will decide who's on his staff.

Bringdanoise
Riding the Bench

Post by Bringdanoise »

I do not know the current coach and I will not say if he should go or stay. I will be the first to say that I do not have the answers to make VC a winning program but I will say this. If the coach is kept or a new hire is made, everyone in VC needs to have realistic expectations. VC has only made the playoffs twice... EVER! So you can't expect a new coach to all of a sudden make VC a playoff team every year. Truth is VC is a .500 caliber team year in and year out, and every now and again they get a group of kids who can win 7+ games. But these years are few and far between. I just think the VC faithful need to be more realistic with their expectations of their football team.

Blue Duck
Freshman Team

Post by Blue Duck »

Bringdanoise wrote:I do not know the current coach and I will not say if he should go or stay. I will be the first to say that I do not have the answers to make VC a winning program but I will say this. If the coach is kept or a new hire is made, everyone in VC needs to have realistic expectations. VC has only made the playoffs twice... EVER! So you can't expect a new coach to all of a sudden make VC a playoff team every year. Truth is VC is a .500 caliber team year in and year out, and every now and again they get a group of kids who can win 7+ games. But these years are few and far between. I just think the VC faithful need to be more realistic with their expectations of their football team.
I agree what your saying about realistic expectations, but your saying VC is a .500 team year in and year out which is wrong. They are 10-40 in the last 5 years averaging 2 wins a year under their current coach. That's hardly a .500 team year in and year out. If he had averaged 5 wins a year this would not be a topic on here. Averaging 2 wins a year at V.C. should not be acceptable.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Averaging 6 wins a year use to be unacceptable lol VC is capable of winning 4-5 games every year if the talent in the county played and were played correctly. The first of those is hard to accomplish. But has been done before.

louie_15
Freshman Team

Post by louie_15 »

Eaglepapaw wrote:
Dundas wrote:Well said Lou. If VC does decide to go in a different direction, they should look at some new assistants. I live justy and I think he has taken the program from a zero in his first year to a 3 or maybe even a 4 now. But with that said, the question I have is, is that as far as he can take them? Imo, VC regressed after their 5-5 season in 2013. VC very well could have won 5 games in 2014 and possibly 6. I have seen things during the last couple seasons that leave me scratching my head. But, like I said before, there's np question they are much better than where they were 5 years ago. Another thing that Burleson has on his side is, back to back wins over wellston.
Isn't it up to the coach to hire assistants?. Assistants can only coach as much as the head coach will let them so you can't blame the problems on them.Assistants also had a hand in the back to back wins over Wellston. JMO
My point was in the 10 years or so it seems a lot of the same assistants have been on the sideline. And yes you give the whole coaching staff credit for the back to back wins over Wellston, but you also have to hold the staff accountable for the 40 losses in 5 years as well.

Bringdanoise
Riding the Bench

Post by Bringdanoise »

I was saying that a .500 record year in and year out would be a realistic expectation. I know they have been down for the past 10-15 years. But I guess what I am really getting at is that they have had some decent coaches over that time but they have been run out of town for not winning. At the high school level, sometimes it is more about the Jimmy and Joe's and not so much the x's and o's.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Bringdanoise wrote:I was saying that a .500 record year in and year out would be a realistic expectation. I know they have been down for the past 10-15 years. But I guess what I am really getting at is that they have had some decent coaches over that time but they have been run out of town for not winning. At the high school level, sometimes it is more about the Jimmy and Joe's and not so much the x's and o's.
Agreed, but O'Rourke coached to win and that's exactly what he did. He also left on his own terms and VC has been looking for the "next" O'Rourke ever since.

Blue Duck
Freshman Team

Post by Blue Duck »

Dundas wrote:
Bringdanoise wrote:I was saying that a .500 record year in and year out would be a realistic expectation. I know they have been down for the past 10-15 years. But I guess what I am really getting at is that they have had some decent coaches over that time but they have been run out of town for not winning. At the high school level, sometimes it is more about the Jimmy and Joe's and not so much the x's and o's.
Agreed, but O'Rourke coached to win and that's exactly what he did. He also left on his own terms and VC has been looking for the "next" O'Rourke ever since.
Bringdanoise, I agree with that. Consistant .500 years should be acceptable at V.C. In the future. I misunderstood you. 2-8 consistantly should not be. Dundas, O'rourke absolutely coached to win, i would hope all coaches do. He was successful, but he also has 20 some seniors that were horses. I remeber missi g wellston games to go watch them. They were talked about like the athens class this year. Im guessing he left on his own term because he didn't have that kind of talent coming up, just a guess. What has O'Rourke done since then? I dont have a clue

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

O'Rourke had 6 winning seasons including a 10-0 and a 9-1 playoff season. To win over a 6 year period at VC was unheard of at the time. Just like it would be if the Vikes started a streak like that today. O'Rourke has taken 3 teams to the playoffs in Ohio. Vc, Springfield Shawnee and Danville. I believe he's also won playoff games at each.

notsurprised
Waterboy

Post by notsurprised »

Dundas, Blue Duck, he also went 0-20 at galion high school, was let go from danville, and had some other average below average stops including his current job. Orourke is a good coach but he needs talent to win just like all other coaches need. VC's schedule and talent level is nothing like it was during Jack's years at Vinton County. his record at vc against belpre 2-4, nelsonvile 2-4. two of the top teams in tvc during that time. Miller, Fed Hock, Trimble, alexander, Wellston, and Meigs were almost guaranteed wins with the level of talent or lack thereof then.
Last edited by notsurprised on Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Blue Duck
Freshman Team

Post by Blue Duck »

notsurprised wrote:Dundas, Blue Duck, he also went 0-20 at galion high school, was let go from danville, and had some other average below average stops including his current job. Orourke is a good coach but he needs talent to win just like all other coaches need. VC's schedule and talent level is nothing like it was during Jack's years at Vinton County. his record at vc against belpre 2-4, nelsonvile 2-4. two of the top teams in tvc during that time.
I agree 100%

Return to “Football”