Vinton Co. Coaching Search - 2015

Blue Duck
Freshman Team

Re: Vinton Co. Coaching Change - 2015

Post by Blue Duck »

Dundas wrote:
Bringdanoise wrote:What I meant by the Jimmy and Joe's comment is not the coaches are concerned with who players or and especially not with who their parents are. I was referring to the fact that sometimes it doesn't matter how much x's and o's you know about football when you go up against a team who has better players and your team does not have the talent to compete.
Agreed but some coaches can beat a team that has more talent. Coach O'Rourke was, 6-0 vs wellston and he will tell you that the rockets had more talent most of those years. He could get everything and more out if his players. One thing he was great at was getting kids to come out and play. That's something VC has been struggling with over the last 10 years. Could he do it again at VC? Who knows...but it could be worth a shot. Like I've said before, there are multiple people who have expressed interest in this job. All would be facing am uphill battle but all three imo could get the job done with the right people in place. There IS talent at VC. Enough to be at worst a 5-5 ball team each year. I remember the days when 6-4 was unacceptable. I just hope we can get the community to buy in more than what they do. Ill be honest, VC football fans arent the worst I've seen, but they aren't anywhere near the best. We as a community, as a county, need to do more. Even if that means just going to a game and clapping. Do your part VC. Even if we are struggling, we should be proud. Its easy to be proud and support a winner. You find out how much pride you have as a county in tough times. Lets do this right this time! Let's get execited about FOOTBALL!
Man, you must be the super or school board president if people are already contacting you and expressing interest to you. Lol

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Lol Blue Duck, I'm not any if those things! I just talk to a lot of people :)

Blue Duck
Freshman Team

Post by Blue Duck »

Dundas wrote:Lol Blue Duck, I'm not any if those things! I just talk to a lot of people :)
I'm just aggravating you Dundas,.. No harm intended. We have our own problems at Wellston. I hope everything works out for you guys

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

Dundas wrote:
Bringdanoise wrote:What I meant by the Jimmy and Joe's comment is not the coaches are concerned with who players or and especially not with who their parents are. I was referring to the fact that sometimes it doesn't matter how much x's and o's you know about football when you go up against a team who has better players and your team does not have the talent to compete.
Agreed but some coaches can beat a team that has more talent. Coach O'Rourke was, 6-0 vs wellston and he will tell you that the rockets had more talent most of those years. He could get everything and more out if his players. One thing he was great at was getting kids to come out and play. That's something VC has been struggling with over the last 10 years. Could he do it again at VC? Who knows...but it could be worth a shot. Like I've said before, there are multiple people who have expressed interest in this job. All would be facing am uphill battle but all three imo could get the job done with the right people in place. There IS talent at VC. Enough to be at worst a 5-5 ball team each year. I remember the days when 6-4 was unacceptable. I just hope we can get the community to buy in more than what they do. Ill be honest, VC football fans arent the worst I've seen, but they aren't anywhere near the best. We as a community, as a county, need to do more. Even if that means just going to a game and clapping. Do your part VC. Even if we are struggling, we should be proud. Its easy to be proud and support a winner. You find out how much pride you have as a county in tough times. Lets do this right this time! Let's get execited about FOOTBALL!
Ol Buddy you have lost your mind if you think wellston had more talent than vc during the O'Rourke years ! A few teams during Queens era ill agree with.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Okay 96, maybe not most years, but a couple. Yet he still lead his teams to victories.

Blue Duck...is it to much to ask for a VC/wellston game in week 10 with a title or playoffs on the line? Lol

doubleplay643
S

Post by doubleplay643 »

Viking96 wrote: Ol Buddy you have lost your mind if you think wellston had more talent than vc during the O'Rourke years ! A few teams during Queens era ill agree with.
Translation for those out here..."During Viking96's playing time and career it would be impossible for there to be more talent on another team...the talent he provided to the Vikings via his presence would have overshadowed all other teams lol"

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

The Vikings will announce a new head coach at the February board meeting. 5 people have expressed interest in the job so far. All 5 would bring a lot to the table.

hsfbfan
Varsity

Post by hsfbfan »

Dundas wrote:The Vikings will announce a new head coach at the February board meeting. 5 people have expressed interest in the job so far. All 5 would bring a lot to the table.
names?

louie_15
Freshman Team

Post by louie_15 »

Has he even officially resigned? The job hasn't been posted yet so i'm guessing not, therefore the application process has not even started yet.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

louie_15 wrote:Has he even officially resigned? The job hasn't been posted yet so i'm guessing not, therefore the application process has not even started yet.
I've talked to Justy. He resigned on the 5th of January.

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

From the names I heard ....some outstanding names !!

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

HSFBFAN wrote:
Dundas wrote:The Vikings will announce a new head coach at the February board meeting. 5 people have expressed interest in the job so far. All 5 would bring a lot to the table.
names?

Ill let the powers that be give the names. Lets just say I would be happy with all 5 and ecstatic if VC got any of 3 in particular.

Jake Roberts
Freshman Team

Post by Jake Roberts »

Let's take a look at some people the hiring committee should be considering:

Jack O'Rourke - had great success in early 90's
Matt Queen - O'Rourke assistant who took over when O'Rourke left. Won several league titles. Why did they get rid of him, again?
Jason Snider - former standout who played for O'Rourke and then Navy. Coached at Georgia Tech.
Nolan Yates - also played for O'Rourke. Was the coach before Burlson. Has some athletic sons.
Jeff Downs - only coach besides O'Rourke to lead VC to the playoffs. Also, led Federal Hocking to the playoffs. Why did they get rid of him, again?
Marcus Games - longtime assistant. Played Division 1 at Ohio University.
Shane Wolford - former Jackson coach whose wife teaches at VC.

Any others?

Blue Duck
Freshman Team

Post by Blue Duck »

Jake Roberts wrote:Let's take a look at some people the hiring committee should be considering:

Matt Queen - O'Rourke assistant who took over when O'Rourke left. Won several league titles. Why did they get rid of him, again?
Jason Snider - former standout who played for O'Rourke and then Navy. Coached at Georgia Tech.
Nolan Yates - also played for O'Rourke. Was the coach before Burlson. Has some athletic sons.
Jeff Downs - only coach besides O'Rourke to lead VC to the playoffs. Also, led Federal Hocking to the playoffs. Why did they get rid of him, again?

Any others?
Travis Bethel without a doubt. We were fortunate to get him as a good assistant during the last hiring process at Wellston in 2010. I know he did not apply for the Wellston job so i assume he applying for the vc job.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Jake Roberts wrote:Let's take a look at some people the hiring committee should be considering:

Any others?
That's a pretty good list! They're may be a few out of towners that are interested as well as some of those on your list. I'm not sure why they fired Queen or Downs. Both were very successfull. Queen had 1 losing season in 7 years and lead VC to 3 TVC Ohio titles and Downs took a program that had won 5 games in the previous 6 years to 6 wins in year one and 8 in year two with a playoff berth like you said. 3-7 in year 3, but to be fair, the talent that was lost from year two was tremendous. I think Downs would've sustained the program for the long haul but we will never know.

louie_15
Freshman Team

Post by louie_15 »

Blue Duck wrote:

Any others?
Travis Bethel without a doubt. We were fortunate to get him as a good assistant during the last hiring process at Wellston in 2010. I know he did not apply for the Wellston job so i assume he applying for the vc job.
I would say Bethel would be a candidate if he is interested. I believe he has 5 or 6 years experience coaching at the college level as a DC and he is a vc alum. The list above is a pretty good list. Two that are listed were let go in the past as head coach. Whether they deserved to or not i cant for the life of me believe they would rehire a coach they let go in the past. Snider would be a good candidate if he's interested but he was not a coach at GA Tech. I know him personally, he held an office job with the football operations dept. o'rourke has probably been the top candidate during the last 4 coaching changes and never came. I don't see it happening now with where he is at in his career. That list is a lot of looking in the past instead of looking forward. Good luck in the hiring process vc. We are in the same mess at Wellston

Bringdanoise
Riding the Bench

Post by Bringdanoise »

Here is my opinion on the list of candidates.
O'rourke- VC does not want to go chasing ghosts. I am not 100% sure, but I think he has struggled with his past few locations.
Queen- Not a good hire at all. He was let go because he was under achieving with the level of talent that he had with the exception of the 99 team. Not very good but was able to win the conference that year. Also, in my opinion, he was not very dedicated to the offseason.
Snider- Could be a good pick up. I'm sure he is very knowledgeable in the sport but has no high school coaching experience. I think he would be a great leader for the kids.
Yates- Was the coach before so not sure how that would look to rehire a former coach. During his years the team did not do that well. If you look at it though, he did have a tougher schedule then the current schedule. Also, Not sure what his sons have to do with him being a candidate.
Downs- Had a few very good years at VC but those teams were loaded! The 04 team went 8-3, should have been 10-0. I am not sure but I think he decided to leave not the school letting him go. Again, not sure how it would look bringing a guy back either way.
Games- Seems to be a very loyal and dedicated coach. Has been a very good assistant for some time now. Has he applied for the head coaching position in prior years? If so, why has he been passed up?
Wolford- Do not know him so I have no opinion.
Bethel- Another good coach who could be a good leader for the kids. I see problem. Has no head coaching experience. I think VC needs someone who has been a head coach with a little experience in winning and building a program.

Just my opinion.

Charles Farquar
JV Team

Post by Charles Farquar »

Downs left by his own choice no one fired him. Remember reading he stepped down because he wanted to spend time with his family and then was hired at Fed Hock, Does Snider want to coach high school football? Last I heard he was working for Paul Johnson at Georgia Tech.

fortdawg
All Conference

Post by fortdawg »

I coached against Down's and O'Rouke and both were the real deal.

DUKE BBALL
Waterboy

Post by DUKE BBALL »

How about Mike Chancey?

Return to “Football”