Athens three year run

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Athens three year run

Post by 93Bulldog »

I was sent these today - pretty impressive numbers.

OHSAA Football - Most Points, Season

1. 861 The Plains - Athens (2014)
2. 822 Clarksville Clinton-Massie (2012)
3. 731 Marion Pleasant (2001)
4. 714 Delphos St. John's (1999)
5. 713 St. Clairsville (2012)
6. 707 The Plains - Athens (2013)
7. 704 Lebanon (1998)
8. 686 Gahanna Columbus Academy (2003)
9. 666 Toledo Waite (1921)
10. 650 Coldwater (2007)
11. 647 The Plains - Athens (2012)

OHSAA FOOTBALL SCORING AVERAGE PER GAME, SEASON
1 74.5 Fostoria (1912)
2 66.8 Dayton Steel (1920)
3 63.7 Newark Catholic (1968)
4 60.6 Miami Trace (1977)
5 60.5 Toledo Waite (1921)
6 57.4 The Plains - Athens (2014)
7 56.4 Covington (1960)
8 55.8 Delphos St. John's (1998)
9 54.8 Clarksville Clinton-Massie (2012)
10 54.4 The Plains - Athens (2013)
11 52.7 Upper Arlington (1968)

Athens Football Team Offensive Stats 2012-2014

------ TD - Pts - Pass Yds - Rush Yds - Total Yds
2014 - 125 - 861 - 4717 - 3601 - 8318
2013 - 103 - 707 - 3981 - 2870 - 6851
2012 - 94 - 647 - 3239 - 3057 - 6296

------ 322 - 2,215 - 11,937 - 9,528 - 21,465

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Athens three year run

Post by noreply66 »

3 out of the top 11 in scoring....take awhile for that to happen

G.W.A.
All Conference

Post by G.W.A. »

UNREAL... They have been very fun to watch

ONE OF A KIND
Varsity

Post by ONE OF A KIND »

And the run is over. Normalcy will return next season with NY putting the annual "L" in the loss column of the Bullpuppies with a somewhat close contest. The following year will be a good ole fashioned beat down but the Bucks. I for one can't wait to get back to normal.

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

Ground Buck wrote:And the run is over. Normalcy will return next season with NY putting the annual "L" in the loss column of the Bullpuppies with a somewhat close contest. The following year will be a good ole fashioned beat down but the Bucks. I for one can't wait to get back to normal.
Is nelsonville getting some transfers or something? Ill take Athens again as TVC favorites with Meigs . Alex , and NY fighting for second

fairlandboi'06
Riding the Bench

Post by fairlandboi'06 »

Ground Buck wrote:And the run is over. Normalcy will return next season with NY putting the annual "L" in the loss column of the Bullpuppies with a somewhat close contest. The following year will be a good ole fashioned beat down but the Bucks. I for one can't wait to get back to normal.

I will say that the run is over. I seriously doubt that Athens will be back to normal. I do believe the train will be slowed down a bit though. Athens will suffer some losses next season and miss the playoffs. I say the following season they will be back to normal.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

What is normal?

2014 ... 10-0
2013 ... 10-0
2012 ... 9-1
2011 ... 10-0
2010 ... 5-5
2009 ... 9-1

Athens had been very successful before Burrow even took a snap. It will be interesting to see how the program responds, it may dip down for a few years (like most schools), but I see it going right back up. I don't think the old 'Athens normal' that you guys are referring to exists anymore.

doubleplay643
S

Post by doubleplay643 »

The new "normal" is an interesting question.

The success of the program has obviously generated a lot of buzz in the school as well as outside of the school. More kids interested in playing from within, and always some kids from the surrounding area perhaps considering transferring into the program.

And by transfers not just referring to those that are frosh through juniors, but 6th and 7th graders that have families from areas outside of Athens (Vinton/Hocking County) that will move to give their son a chance to play at a school with the best "program" in the future. This perception now may lead to the best opportunity to perpetuate that success later, especially if you combine it with kids already there that now want to play. Is there a soccer kid or two in grades 7th-9th that may consider switching sports? The ways to continue the program's success comes from a lot of different factors. But if 2-3 good athletes decide to play that haven't are combined with a couple move-ins and add some younger kids that start to be involved from within and outside Athens all of a sudden you have a recipe for longer term success.

I think next year with what they have returning you are looking at anywhere from an 8-2 record and better, after that well, we will have to see if the excitement from this year reaches down to the existing lower grades and out to the surrounding areas. It is an interesting question though.

Green Beagle
JV Team

Post by Green Beagle »

93Bulldog wrote:What is normal?

2014 ... 10-0
2013 ... 10-0
2012 ... 9-1
2011 ... 10-0
2010 ... 5-5
2009 ... 9-1

Athens had been very successful before Burrow even took a snap. It will be interesting to see how the program responds, it may dip down for a few years (like most schools), but I see it going right back up. I don't think the old 'Athens normal' that you guys are referring to exists anymore.
I wont be the normal with Athens in the TVC. If they were in a league like they use to be it would be the "old" Athens but as long as they stay in the tvc they will be fine. How soon we forget the QB that was there before Burrow. Another coaches son who I believe wasnt too shabby. Isnt he playing college ball somewhere right now? Athens will be ok as long as we dont vote any other schools into the tvc. If we do... Middle of the pack.

G.W.A.
All Conference

Post by G.W.A. »

This post is not about the future or things being back to normal where NY wins league and gets beat in the first round every year. This post is about Athens recent success and I think it has been second to none.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

G.W.A. wrote:This post is not about the future or things being back to normal where NY wins league and gets beat in the first round every year. This post is about Athens recent success and I think it has been second to none.
agree

A lot of recognition needs to be thrown the coaches way too.

Old Athens = revolving door of coaches (mostly outsiders) and no support from a community that seemed like it didn't even like football.
Athens now = Tremendous coaching staff (mostly alumni) with unconditional support and passion for football from the community.

It's a HUGE DIFFERENCE, which is why I don't think you see the 'old' Athens returning for quite some time.

saintsfan
Riding the Bench

Post by saintsfan »

I really hope the community continues to support the program even though this group of seniors is graduating. There are stills some really good football players on the roster not to mention a bunch of younger kids that got second half playing time throughout the majority of the season. As long as the coaching staff stays together I see a bright and consistent future ahead for the Bulldogs. I know a coach on the current staff and he has already told me he is looking forward to getting ready for game one next season. Each season brings new challenges and I think next year one of the challenges will be to prove the doubters wrong as they do every year. This year the doubters kept crying "weak schedule" and how that would not help them prepare for the playoffs, we all saw what happened there. Soon after that it turned to "wait til next season when Burrow and co. are gone". I know that will jsut be more motivation for the coaches and players of 2015. Go Dogs!

2trap_4ever
S

Post by 2trap_4ever »

93Bulldog wrote:
G.W.A. wrote:This post is not about the future or things being back to normal where NY wins league and gets beat in the first round every year. This post is about Athens recent success and I think it has been second to none.
agree

A lot of recognition needs to be thrown the coaches way too.

Old Athens = revolving door of coaches (mostly outsiders) and no support from a community that seemed like it didn't even like football.
Athens now = Tremendous coaching staff (mostly alumni) with unconditional support and passion for football from the community.

It's a HUGE DIFFERENCE, which is why I don't think you see the 'old' Athens returning for quite some time.
Winning breeds winning. You have the support of the community because they see a coaching staff and players out there trying their hardest each Friday night. When things are good they get better each year, more kids want to play so a larger talent pool to choose starters from. The best example of how this is working at Athens is to look at the opposite reaction, when you are losing no one wants anything to do with your football program, take Rock Hill for example, only 26 players this year. Another losing record, fans are angry, parents are angry but no changes will be made. Athens seems to have made the correct changes in its football program and now its reaping he rewards.

Congrats to Athens on a great run and I hope you have continued success.

ONE OF A KIND
Varsity

Post by ONE OF A KIND »

93Bulldog wrote:What is normal?

2014 ... 10-0
2013 ... 10-0
2012 ... 9-1
2011 ... 10-0
2010 ... 5-5
2009 ... 9-1

Were you not one of the ones on here saying, "people need to be patient cause Athens will come back to earth in a few years?" The normal I am talking about is with NY beating them each year. Like in 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, and 2010. Yes those were annual losses for Athens. I hope they go 9-1 from here forward. :mrgreen:

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Come back to Earth, meaning they probably won't be playing in the state championship anytime soon. But I think the days of 0-10, 1-9 or 2-8 are over for Athens.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

If NY beats Athens groundbuck, then so be it. But I for one would just like to see a great rivalry, great games, year in and year out. (like we had 2009, 2010 & 2011). It's good for everyone when that occurs, the area, the teams and the TVC.

fairlandboi'06
Riding the Bench

Post by fairlandboi'06 »

93Bulldog wrote:If NY beats Athens groundbuck, then so be it. But I for one would just like to see a great rivalry, great games, year in and year out. (like we had 2009, 2010 & 2011). It's good for everyone when that occurs, the area, the teams and the TVC.

I think the reason everyone is saying they are excited for Athens to go back to "NORMAL" is the simple fact that all we hear on the radio is A-Train this and A-Train that. I think if you are going to be A-Train when you are throttling teams you should be A-Train when teams are smashing you. Lets face it the bulldogs were a door mat for years. Having winning seasons the past 5 or 6 years does not classify you as having a winning program. Lets see how the dogs look the next couple of years.

ONE OF A KIND
Varsity

Post by ONE OF A KIND »

93Bulldog wrote:If NY beats Athens groundbuck, then so be it. But I for one would just like to see a great rivalry, great games, year in and year out. (like we had 2009, 2010 & 2011). It's good for everyone when that occurs, the area, the teams and the TVC.
I hear you bullpup, and I like that game 10 decides a championship between the two. But this ain't gonna happen if the outsiders get their way. They are proposing a plan that could eliminate this rivalry.

athens78
All State

Post by athens78 »

I agree there will be no more 0-10 or 1-9 years but playing in the TVC has fixed that. They'll be just fine next year.

doubleplay643
S

Post by doubleplay643 »

Ground Buck wrote:
I hear you bullpup, and I like that game 10 decides a championship between the two. But this ain't gonna happen if the outsiders get their way. They are proposing a plan that could eliminate this rivalry.
No, actually the plan would continue to allow rivalry games like Athens and NY to continue as there would be ample opportunity to play cross-divisional opponents or other non-league match-ups that have been traditional to each school.

Return to “Football”