Jackson officially applies to the TVC

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Re: Jackson officially applies to the TVC

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

Mister B wrote:Just to try to steer this back on topic...

Any school that applies to the TVC should NOT be looked at from a football or boys sports only viewpoint. But sadly, I know it is.

Yes, TVC schools have won 2 state championships in football. Nelsonville-York in 1981 and Wahama in 2012. (Regardless of what state you win it in, you are that state's best). The TVC also has 2 football state runners up in Trimble (2013) and Athens (2014).

On the girls side there have also been 2 state championships won by TVC member schools.

Volleyball - Alexander in 2008. I will add that they were state runners up in 2007 and lost in the Final Four to the eventual state champs in 2006.

Girls basketball - Eastern in 2014. They also made the Final Four in 2013.

Adding other quality schools such as Jackson and maybe bringing Warren back into the fold will certainly only strengthen the TVC Ohio especially and the TVC in general in both boys and girls sports. Isn't that what adding a new member should do? And shouldn't we look at ALL sports, not just football, regardless of gender?

One sport or only one gender shouldn't be the deciding factor in conference expansion.

Just my honest opinion.

Great post! I agree 100%.

doubleplay643
S

Post by doubleplay643 »

Yep, ^^^^, I will agree with that Mister B.

Hopefully the tide has turned and there is momentum for Jackson to be accepted into the TVC and for the TVC to gain a new loyal member.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Any school that applies to the TVC should NOT be looked at from a football or boys sports only viewpoint. But sadly, I know it is.

Yes, TVC schools have won 2 state championships in football. Nelsonville-York in 1981 and Wahama in 2012. (Regardless of what state you win it in, you are that state's best). The TVC also has 2 football state runners up in Trimble (2013) and Athens (2014).

On the girls side there have also been 2 state championships won by TVC member schools.

Volleyball - Alexander in 2008. I will add that they were state runners up in 2007 and lost in the Final Four to the eventual state champs in 2006.

Adding other quality schools such as Jackson and maybe bringing Warren back into the fold will certainly only strengthen the TVC Ohio especially and the TVC in general in both boys and girls sports. Isn't that what adding a new member should do? And shouldn't we look at ALL sports, not just football, regardless of gender?

One sport or only one gender shouldn't be the deciding factor in conference expansion.

Just my honest opinion.

Football is the main measuring stick in southeastern Ohio and it is a factor in many decisions

athens78
All State

Post by athens78 »

any word on this from the TVC

fortdawg
All Conference

Post by fortdawg »

If these teams are added---how do you do it? If you just plunk them down in the Ohio I can think of several schools who won't be impressed. I know you can tell me about what they'll bring to the league but.... If the teams in the Ohio wanted to be playing both of these guys? Why aren't they? Is there and Ohio team that plays both? Athens used to and may again but didn't this year and won't next. I don't think you can say there is a demand for these two if they aren't being played now.

Wellston plays Jackson regularly and Athens plays Warren---who else plays Jackson and Warren year end and year out?

If you go to the 3 divisions---again you will have some unhappy teams---unhappy teams leave.

I say we look at the SEOAL and then judge how expansion works---Chilly and Zanesville strengthened the League and so did the rest---it strengthened it right out of existence.

mister b
SEOP

Post by mister b »

Adding members to the SEOAL that brought strength to the league didn't lead to it's current state.

Adding additional travel time and cost for ALL sports, boys and girls, led to it's current state.

Gas is cheap today but it will go back up. Bank on it.

As for lost student time, the only way to save on that is to cut down on travel distance.

mister b
SEOP

Post by mister b »

noreply66 wrote:

Just my honest opinion.

Football is the main measuring stick in southeastern Ohio and it is a factor in many decisions
I agree, but it shouldn't be. Football is a very small percentage of the total games played during a school's entire sports calender.

Time to start thinking outside the box and start looking at the ENTIRE sports program when making these types of decisions.

drunkone
Riding the Bench

Post by drunkone »

If all sports generated the same revenue, I could see thinking of athletic programs as a whole. But, football pays the bills. So, most schools will make decisions based on what effects the moneymaker.

Now, can someone get me a beer. Its almost noon.

mister b
SEOP

Post by mister b »

Football doesn't pay the bills or even floats the boat for the other programs to exist.

Almost every high school football program in the state can't self support itself. Factor in the true cost of a football program, salaries, transportation, equipment, game officials, field upkeep etc, gate revenue simply does not cover this. Therefore, football programs are not self-supporting. Why do you think there are so many booster programs and fund raisers going on?

Football may, and I say may, generate the most gate revenue, per varsity event, because of stadium size vs gym size, but at many schools the basketball program will bring in more gate revenue over the course of a season than football. Plus, their program costs (basketball) are much lower.

If you were to talk to an AD of a school that had both decent football and basketball programs, I think that they would tell you that basketball comes much closer to being self-supporting than football.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

It doesn't take nearly the money to supply basketball as football.

Football, Girls and boys basketball and volleyball are the most popular sports in high school and have TV showing their finals.

In high school football is the king and in some schools it might be a toss up in basketball or volleyball for queen.

TV, Newspapers, magazines football will have the biggest articles.

Football is number one and will always be number one. Schools want to win in football more than any other sport unless they don't have a football program.

When the TVC let Athens in their football and track program were down but were winners in other sports so it might have been easier for the TVC to allow them in. Wonder if Athens was trying to get in now with their football and track program at the top.

If it isn't football that is the determining factor in getting in a new league it is the size of the school. Just like Logan the TVC would never allow them in because of size. They are more scared of Logan getting bigger and bigger.. where the TVC school seem to be getting smaller and smaller.

athens78
All State

Post by athens78 »

My understanding from some Logan friend are yes they are big because they are a county team. One school in the whole County. However they say it's hard to get lots of kids out because of travel home after school because it's so big. Imagine if Athens only had one school?

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

athens78 wrote:My understanding from some Logan friend are yes they are big because they are a county team. One school in the whole County. However they say it's hard to get lots of kids out because of travel home after school because it's so big. Imagine if Athens only had one school?
A lot of kids from Nelsonville, Trimble .Fed Hocking and Alexander would not play at Athens. You would have the kids from the far corners of the county going to other schools. Hocking has kids going to Athens county schools Fairfield county and some go to Logan Elm. It wouldn't shock me if a few wasn't going to Miller. Logan even have kids going to Tri/cty in Nelsonville.The far southern part of Hocking just might go to Vinton Cty. I remember when they closed The Plains and Chancey and kids from those two would play for Athens. I know these are not counted in the top three grades but it is an example how far some kids live from the school. Samething is going on at Vinton Cty. Wonder how they would do if they could get all the kids in that county to play that wanted to.

One of the Logan Hocking school district grade schools is nearly as new as the high school and it is close to old mans cave. All most all students from 7 thur 12 are bused and probably better than 60% of 1 thur 6 are bused.
You could say all kids that play sports at Logan have to have away to get to practice. No walkers here.

athens78
All State

Post by athens78 »

noreplay doesn't the kids at Tri/County in Nelsonville compete in sports or have the chance to at Logan? I know Athens County kids that attend there play for their local school Alex/Fed/Nelsonville etc.

athens78
All State

Post by athens78 »

As there been any official word on this from the TVC?

LHS 72
S

Post by LHS 72 »

noreply66 wrote:
athens78 wrote:My understanding from some Logan friend are yes they are big because they are a county team. One school in the whole County. However they say it's hard to get lots of kids out because of travel home after school because it's so big. Imagine if Athens only had one school?
A lot of kids from Nelsonville, Trimble .Fed Hocking and Alexander would not play at Athens. You would have the kids from the far corners of the county going to other schools. Hocking has kids going to Athens county schools Fairfield county and some go to Logan Elm. It wouldn't shock me if a few wasn't going to Miller. Logan even have kids going to Tri/cty in Nelsonville.The far southern part of Hocking just might go to Vinton Cty. I remember when they closed The Plains and Chancey and kids from those two would play for Athens. I know these are not counted in the top three grades but it is an example how far some kids live from the school. Samething is going on at Vinton Cty. Wonder how they would do if they could get all the kids in that county to play that wanted to.

One of the Logan Hocking school district grade schools is nearly as new as the high school and it is close to old mans cave. All most all students from 7 thur 12 are bused and probably better than 60% of 1 thur 6 are bused.
You could say all kids that play sports at Logan have to have away to get to practice. No walkers here.
FYI Some kids in Ward Twp and Laurel Run area goes to Nels-York

G.W.A.
All Conference

Post by G.W.A. »

Just my honest opinion.
Agree with this post and would like to add the pay to park at Jackson should be lifted.

fortdawg
All Conference

Post by fortdawg »

I would apply the same criteria to other sports that are applied to football. The main thing I look at is do they play Jackson and Warren at home and away in a sport.

If they don't then I wouldn't expect much support. I might see playing up to gauge my strength but that doesn't mean I'd want to compete with that stronger team for a league title.

One of the big supporters of the three divisions plays Wahama and always will---they just would rather it not be a league game.

Wings Teaford
Freshman Team

Post by Wings Teaford »

^^^NOT TRUE! We no longer want to play them in anything. They cheat! We can never beat those guys at their place in any sport.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

G.W.A. wrote:

Just my honest opinion.
Agree with this post and would like to add the pay to park at Jackson should be lifted.
No they shouldn't, because if the TVC accepts Jackson and Warren, then three schools are going to be forced into the Ohio that will probably want no part of that division, thus any school that has the potential to be aligned in the Ohio will vote no. And two of the schools who would be put into the Ohio are significantly smaller than Jackson, Warren or Athens. The TVC bungled this when they didn't take the last four SEOAL schools and then get Marietta to jump into that division to make a six-team division with Athens.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Yep......they blew it big time

Return to “Football”