With days of SEOAL numbered, Jackson looking for new league

doubleplay643
S

Re: With days of SEOAL numbered, Jackson looking for new lea

Post by doubleplay643 »

Regulator wrote:Wouldn't Jackson want to find a conference suitable for Wrestling too. ??

SOC is not a wrestling conference.
Good point, if we could convince the TVC to go to a 4-division format like is currently proposed on another similar thread right now you would eliminate the wrestling void in the SOC.

I am more of a TVC proponent than SOC, but if SOC allows us we probably will take it. Perhaps we could be an affiliate to another league in wrestling similar to what Athens does with the SEOAL in soccer (I think that is what they do ??) since Warren, Jackson, Logan etc. have soccer but some of the other TVC schools do not.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

Jolly P(irate) wrote:I for one would love to see Jackson join the SOC. It will make our conference that much tougher. However, You have to convince Valley, and West of that. You have Waverly, Burg and Minford I would think. Minford has to get a stronger schedule and this will guarantee one more quality opponent year in and year out. I think in terms of Football, that is where Jackson will be fighting from behind getting in the SOC IMO. D3 against D4(1), D5(3) and D6(1). That D6 school will do all they can to prevent it. I know they aren't scared of anyone but considering the size advantage I honestly don't see it happening.
You have to remember that ALL the SOC schools would be voting on this, because it would impact them in other sports. South Webster, Clay, New Boston, etc. all have as much to say about it as the schools you mentioned.

-South Webster has been lobbying to get into the SOCII for soccer, but this would ensure they would stay in the smaller conference, so their vote would likely be no.
-Northwest and Oak Hill want to stay in the SOCI for football, so they would likely be in favor.
-With Eastern adding varsity football next year, one of the SOCI schools (Oak Hill or Northwest) will have to move up for football, which will likely happen without Jackson being in the mix, so my guess is that Notre Dame, East, Green, Symmes Valley would all vote no to increase their odds of winning a title.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

The problem that Jackson is facing with the SOC is that this decision isn't up to Valley, Wheelersburg, West, Minford, and Waverly. All SOC schools have an equal say in who gets in. So, Clay's vote means just as much as Valley's. So if Jackson wants in, and the small schools think that there be may "Division reshuffling", they won't get the votes.

As far as the SOC being scared of Portsmouth....That is just flat laughable. Portsmouth has a strong basketball program and that is it. For the longest time Portsmouth thought they were above the SOC and now that they are not superior, they want in. As far as I'm concerned, I hope the Trojans enjoy their trips to Proctorville and Kitts Hill. The SOC is doing just fine without Portsmouth.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

doubleplay643 wrote:
Regulator wrote:Wouldn't Jackson want to find a conference suitable for Wrestling too. ??

SOC is not a wrestling conference.
Good point, if we could convince the TVC to go to a 4-division format like is currently proposed on another similar thread right now you would eliminate the wrestling void in the SOC.

I am more of a TVC proponent than SOC, but if SOC allows us we probably will take it. Perhaps we could be an affiliate to another league in wrestling similar to what Athens does with the SEOAL in soccer (I think that is what they do ??) since Warren, Jackson, Logan etc. have soccer but some of the other TVC schools do not.

I don't think the administration at Jackson is in a place to convince the TVC of anything. That was the downfall the last time you guys tried to come in as a group. You guys tried to tell the TVC how the league should be aligned and you got shown the door.

I think Jackson needs to send out some emails to the TVC Supers saying how great the TVCis blah blah blah, show up to the league meeting, state their case and cross their fingers.

We may see a 3 division 18 team league at some point, but this whole 4 division talk is ridiculous.

doubleplay643
S

Post by doubleplay643 »

Orange and Brown wrote:That was the downfall the last time you guys tried to come in as a group. You guys tried to tell the TVC how the league should be aligned and you got shown the door.
No one tried to tell anyone anything, that simply is not true.

There were a multitude of ideas being tossed around prior to that meeting (and even after by everyone) on how the addition of those teams attending might work in an expanded TVC, but if you think any of the SEOAL schools administrators walked into that meeting and said here is how it will be and issued some sort of edict you are being ridiculous.

The SEOAL schools or Jackson are attempting to explain what a good member we would be not doing what you just indicated above.

Green Beagle
JV Team

Post by Green Beagle »

I think the tvc should bring them in. Go to three divisions..

NY BUCKS
All State

Post by NY BUCKS »

This is my 2cents worth..add Jackson logan Warren..
Now just for football my league would look like this..
Athens
Logan
Jackson
Warren
NY..before you all state that there would be no computer
Points..that boat don't float..proven the last 3 years..

doubleplay643
S

Post by doubleplay643 »

NY BUCKS wrote:This is my 2cents worth..add Jackson logan Warren..
Now just for football my league would look like this..
Athens
Logan
Jackson
Warren
NY..before you all state that there would be no computer
Points..that boat don't float..proven the last 3 years..
NY BUCKS, question for you in your hypothetical. If Gallia could somehow renege on their OVC commitment would they be better since NY is a D6. Putting NY playing Athens, Logan, Jackson, Warren may be a pretty big disadvantage a lot of years points wise.

But if they are with VC, Wellston, Meigs, etc. and can still play the traditional Week 10 game with Athens it may be better "most" years, not sure, but that is just something to think about.

NY BUCKS
All State

Post by NY BUCKS »

We already play logan Athens ..I don't see what it would
Hurt playing up to the schedule.and I guarantee you Ny
Is worth way more points than Vinton and its just a recent that Ny Athens went to week 10

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

NY BUCKS wrote:We already play logan Athens ..I don't see what it would
Is worth way more points than Vinton and its just a recent that Ny Athens went to week 10
No question NY is worth more points than VC. However, if NY played that kind of schedule and VC was in a middle division, I'd bet they'd be about the same. Lol

doubleplay643
S

Post by doubleplay643 »

Ok I thought Logan was off the NY schedule for a while, maybe I misunderstood that. Gallia not going to renege so having NY in our hypothetical division works best probably and those game 9/10 years between everyone will be very competitive and the winners will hit the Harbin lottery.

Well NY BUCK lol can we count you in me, Dundas and Viking96 corner now lol...we are up to 4 people.

Got to start somewhere to build a consensus.

courier
All Conference

Post by courier »

As a Lucasville Valley and SOC fan, I say bring them in and embrace the competition....Competition makes you work harder to become better or you get left behind...If you can't compete and win tough games in league play how the heck can you compete and win games in tough regional battles? The discussion makes for nice chatter on sports boards but I'm afraid it'll never happen for all the reasons being explained.

Vladd
Freshman Team

Post by Vladd »

doubleplay643 wrote:
Ok I thought Logan was off the NY schedule for a while, maybe I misunderstood that. Gallia not going to renege so having NY in our hypothetical division works best probably and those game 9/10 years between everyone will be very competitive and the winners will hit the Harbin lottery.

Well NY BUCK lol can we count you in me, Dundas and Viking96 corner now lol...we are up to 4 people.

Got to start somewhere to build a consensus.
Count me in Dundas, DP and VC96, on wanting to bring Logan, Warren Local, and Jackson into the TVC. You only get better by playing the better teams. I am sure that the four divisions would work. Lower travel costs and higher gate revenue and could still keep the long time rivalry games could be kept on the schedule. I know a lot of people will not agree with me, but it is fun to think about different teams in different divisions. Traveling in Football season is not as bad as when you have to travel with the weather we have sometimes in our area during Basketball season. Well I can only wish for the schools from the SEOAL to join the TVC. WIll be interesting to see how everything plays out. Good luck to all the schools in finding a League that works out for them and their fans.

This message was approved by Vladd III the Impaler and was approved for discussion use only :lol: :lol:

NY BUCKS
All State

Post by NY BUCKS »

IM in always have been to get better you have to
Play quality teams..I always have said bring Athens in
I thought gallia would follow..I was off on that ..but Ny will
Not dodge anyone..

greyhoundsbob
Waterboy

Post by greyhoundsbob »

Merge the OVC and the TVC OHIO into a north/south league to KEEP THE SEOAL ALIVE! :122245

SEOAL OHIO
Jackson
Athens
Vinton County
Warren
Meigs
Alexander
Wellston
Nelsonville York

SEOAL RIVER
Gallia Academy
South Point
Fairland
Rock Hill
Portsmouth
Chesapeake
Ironton
Coal Grove

The General
All State

Post by The General »

Howard.... what a leader!

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Crab's brother wrote:The problem that Jackson is facing with the SOC is that this decision isn't up to Valley, Wheelersburg, West, Minford, and Waverly. All SOC schools have an equal say in who gets in. So, Clay's vote means just as much as Valley's. So if Jackson wants in, and the small schools think that there be may "Division reshuffling", they won't get the votes.

As far as the SOC being scared of Portsmouth....That is just flat laughable. Portsmouth has a strong basketball program and that is it. For the longest time Portsmouth thought they were above the SOC and now that they are not superior, they want in. As far as I'm concerned, I hope the Trojans enjoy their trips to Proctorville and Kitts Hill. The SOC is doing just fine without Portsmouth.
Good post.
Agree totally on Portsmouth.

Agree on the reshuffling also. Oak Hill will probably be bumped up to the SOC II. If Waverly doesn't leave, that will bump all schools back to 5 conference games, which is a good number. That gives each school flexibility with the 5 non-conference games to bump up or down their schedule strength based on the state of their program.

As far as Jackson. My opinion they won't be admitted and they shouldn't be as they are twice the size of the most of the SOC II schools. That is a huge difference. Just ask Wellston. There is a whole thread about the status of Wellston football and the most common answer is drop Jackson. If schools want to play them in the non-conference that's one thing, but they shouldn't have to. It's no diffence than the joke of Northwest playing in the SOC I.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

THAT LOOKS AWESOME TO ME.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

Prince of Darkness wrote:Merge the OVC and the TVC OHIO into a north/south league to KEEP THE SEOAL ALIVE! :122245

SEOAL OHIO
Jackson
Athens
Vinton County
Warren
Meigs
Alexander
Wellston
Nelsonville York

SEOAL RIVER
Gallia Academy
South Point
Fairland
Rock Hill
Portsmouth
Chesapeake
Ironton
Coal Grove
THAT LOOKS AWESOME TO ME.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Westfan,

Good analysis on the state of the SOC. At some point Waverly will jump ship and join the SVC, Pike Eastern is starting
football so there will be no net loss in football playing membership. Perfect opportunity for the SOC to realign their
football divisions for competitve balance. I beleive Jackson should still be considered for SOC membership as their
community population and school enrollment numbers will eventually decline as has happended in the rest of SE Ohio.

Tiger Bait and Prince.

The super conference looks great, but again you would get into travel problems, relative size problems, and could the
TVC schools left out of the mix still have a workable conference.

I know it is heresy to speak with doing away with conferences and leauges all together because of Ohio's traditions,
but is it time for Buckeye State high school football teams to go to district play like Kentucky and most other states?
Problems of conference affiliation are solved. Schools of similar size play each other, and the travel issue is somwehat
resolved due to geographical grouping of the districts, and you still have goals to achieve, the playoffs.

Return to “Football”