Portsmouth Coaching Job

mr.hyde
Riding the Bench

Re: Portsmouth Coaching Job

Post by mr.hyde »

One of the joys of reading PREPS is how everybody believes that their high school can make an Urban Meyer-type hire who will bring in a Tom Hermann and an Ed Warriner in to fix everything about the football program.

Because that's how high school football usually works, right? Those are the priorities of cash-strapped districts, right?

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

The coaching situation at Portsmouth is a cluster.

But another issue is basketball. Portmouth kids care more now about basketball than football and it shows. Just an example, but the best football player at Portmouth doesn't play because of basketball. You put Kyrie Allison at quarterback this year and regardless of coaching, they win more games.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

Sparks resigns as Portsmouth head coach

By Alexander Hider
November 19, 2014
ahider@civitasmedia.com

Portsmouth football coach Jason Sparks has resigned after two seasons.
“It was a mutual decision, and we’re moving on,” he said. “I’m thankful for the opportunity to be here. I’ve met some great people and we’ve done some great things.”
Portsmouth athletic director Joe Albrecht did not comment on the coaching change. The Portsmouth Board of Education is expected to consider Sparks’ resignation at a meeting Thursday evening.

Sparks said he turned in his resignation on Friday, two weeks after the Trojans ended their 2014 season with a 28-6 victory over Cincinnati Hughes. The Trojans finished the 2014 season with a record of 3-7, and amassed a 6-14 record in Sparks’ two seasons at the helm.

Sparks was named head coach in early 2013 following the retirement of legendary Trojan coach Kurt Clifford. According to a 2013 Daily Times article, Sparks served as the defensive coordinator and assistant head coach at Pinecrest High School in Southern Pines, NC prior to coaching at Portsmouth. Sparks has also served on coaching staffs at Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College and Mississippi College.

Sparks says he isn’t sure if or where he’ll be coaching next season.
“I didn’t resign to take another job,” he said.

Prior to Sparks joining the program, Clifford coached the Trojans for 24 seasons from 1989-2012. He led Portsmouth to seven playoff appearances throughout his tenure, including a state semifinal appearance in 2000. Clifford remains the all-time winningest coach in program history.

dr3737
Waterboy

Post by dr3737 »

May be just a rumor... but over heard that some of the players are wanting to leave Portsmouth. Has anyone heard anything and where are they going to go??

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

One of the Portsmouth seniors' mother saw a West shirt on me the other day and started talking football. Lets say she was not happy with how things went this season to say the least. Evidently were many locker room problems besides "the on the field" issues.

Kay
Waterboy

Post by Kay »

mr.hyde wrote:One of the joys of reading PREPS is how everybody believes that their high school can make an Urban Meyer-type hire who will bring in a Tom Hermann and an Ed Warriner in to fix everything about the football program.

Because that's how high school football usually works, right? Those are the priorities of cash-strapped districts, right?
You better watch out, they'll kick you off this site. You just made entirely too much sense LOL

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

dr3737 wrote:May be just a rumor... but over heard that some of the players are wanting to leave Portsmouth. Has anyone heard anything and where are they going to go??
I heard the same thing but it was only about the kid who played QB and his brother.

The General
All State

Post by The General »

Why dont they hire a real Coach. A real winner. Not that hard.

hbk2016
Varsity

Post by hbk2016 »

Who is the next victim?

goUK
Varsity

Post by goUK »

No matter who they hire, they are almost guaranteed 4 wins. They could even be 6-4 and 5-1 in the ovc. CG loses a lot so 5-1 in the ovc is possible

Burg- loss
West- loss
Valley- loss
Waverly- win
Rh- win
Sp- win
Ches- win
Fair- win
Cg- push (cg lost a lot)
Ironton- loss

Buckeye-4-Life
JV Team

Post by Buckeye-4-Life »

My vote..(which of course I dont have one) would be Aaron Duncan! Great guy with a lot invested in the community. He played there and knows the culture there. He could get the kids back out and get the program turned in the right direction!

High Plains Drifter
Freshman Team

Post by High Plains Drifter »

The General wrote:Why dont they hire a real Coach. A real winner. Not that hard.

Ever been on a board or committee where hiring for a position in management or head of a department is the goal. As with most anything, all the real good coaches are usually already employed, and they aren't leaving. Next if you want a coach for the long haul then youth is a factor, then whats too young? and so on and so on and so on.....Its hard. Great advice by the way.

gobigblue12
Freshman Team

Post by gobigblue12 »

The General wrote:Why dont they hire a real Coach. A real winner. Not that hard.

Are you thinking a former Gallia blue devil offensive coordinator?

rxburgfan
All State

Post by rxburgfan »

Maybe the return of "the big red dog". Please o' please. We need more SEOPs fodder. Always good banter with a 2-8 coach. Trojans need some leadership and I hope they find it.

wipala
Varsity

Post by wipala »

For all the teams that play PHS, I would think you would want them to be good. Better gates, better game and more points in state power ranking if you win.

Oaks_Fan_06
Waterboy

Post by Oaks_Fan_06 »

I remember like it was yesterday when the hiring committee brought in King Trojan....I hope they can find a worthy replacement. I, The Reaper, your brother and companion in the suffering and defeat and patient endurance that are ours at PHS, was on the street of Waller because of the word of Captain Trojan and the testimony of the Elders. On that fateful day I was in the Spirit, and I heard behind me a loud voice like a trumpet, which said: “Remember what you see and post it on SEOPS for all to read.”

I turned around to see the voice that was speaking to me. And when I turned I saw seven iron XBox controllers, and among the controllers was someone like a son of a trojan, dressed in a robe reaching down to his feet and with a controller in his hand. The hair on his head was like wool and his beard was like blazing fire. His playbook like bronze glowing in a furnace, and his voice was like the sound of rushing waters. In his right hand he held six victories, and around his neck was a sharp, double-edged whistle. His face was like the sun shining in all its brilliance.

When I first saw him, I fell at his feet as though dead. Then he placed his right hand on me and said: “Do not be afraid. I am the First and the Last Madden Champion. I have the XBox One; My XBox 360 was dead, and now look, I can play for ever and ever! And I hold the keys to the Red Ring of Death.

“Write, therefore, what you have seen, what is now and what will take place later. The mystery of the six victories that you saw in my right hand and of the seven iron controllers is this: The six victories will come in our time in the SEOAL, and the seven controllers shall rule the seven teams of the OVC."

TrojanXplosion
S

Post by TrojanXplosion »

The_Reaper wrote:I remember like it was yesterday when the hiring committee brought in King Trojan....I hope they can find a worthy replacement. I, The Reaper, your brother and companion in the suffering and defeat and patient endurance that are ours at PHS, was on the street of Waller because of the word of Captain Trojan and the testimony of the Elders. On that fateful day I was in the Spirit, and I heard behind me a loud voice like a trumpet, which said: “Remember what you see and post it on SEOPS for all to read.”

I turned around to see the voice that was speaking to me. And when I turned I saw seven iron XBox controllers, and among the controllers was someone like a son of a trojan, dressed in a robe reaching down to his feet and with a controller in his hand. The hair on his head was like wool and his beard was like blazing fire. His playbook like bronze glowing in a furnace, and his voice was like the sound of rushing waters. In his right hand he held six victories, and around his neck was a sharp, double-edged whistle. His face was like the sun shining in all its brilliance.

When I first saw him, I fell at his feet as though dead. Then he placed his right hand on me and said: “Do not be afraid. I am the First and the Last Madden Champion. I have the XBox One; My XBox 360 was dead, and now look, I can play for ever and ever! And I hold the keys to the Red Ring of Death.

“Write, therefore, what you have seen, what is now and what will take place later. The mystery of the six victories that you saw in my right hand and of the seven iron controllers is this: The six victories will come in our time in the SEOAL, and the seven controllers shall rule the seven teams of the OVC."

You are off your rocker. Mindless jibber jabber.

Badboy
Varsity

Post by Badboy »

Bring in Rich Moon. His imaginary friends can be the assistant coaches.

The Oaf
SEO

Post by The Oaf »

Badboy wrote:Bring in Rich Moon. His imaginary friends can be the assistant coaches.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

LetsGoPSU
SE

Post by LetsGoPSU »

Which is more a joke.........this thread or the Portsmouth Football program.........it is a tough answer

Return to “Football”