#4 Athens (12-0) vs #7 DeSales (10-2)

bengals01
JV Team

Re: #4 Athens (12-0) vs #7 DeSales (10-2)

Post by bengals01 »

athens78 wrote:Hartley that would beat anyone in DII Region 9 including Athens. Let's be real here. Region 9 is the weakest region of the four. Period
Don’t see why Region 9 is the weakest in the Division when they have 3 of the top 10 in the AP poll

Final AP Ranking Davison III

1, Hubbard (16)

2, Athens (4)

3, Wapakoneta (2)

4, Dresden Tri-Valley

5, Norwalk

6, Jackson

7, Trotwood-Madison (1)

8, Toledo Central Catholic (2)

9, Aurora

10, Akron SVSM

Others receiving 12 or more points: 11, Louisville 27. 12, Dover 16.

bengals01
JV Team

Post by bengals01 »

Another reason I don’t think 9 is the weakest region
State rankings all divisions by Maxprep of teams left

Hubbard 22
St. Vincent 36

Toledo CC 44
Clyde 75

Athens 32
DeSales 42

Wapakoneta 27
Trotwood 31
Last edited by bengals01 on Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

I'D LOVE TO SEE THE GREEN DOGS TAKE OUT THE STALLIONS.

athens78
All State

Post by athens78 »

One everyone know the AP is a joke and always will be. Two I didn't say Hartley was the same just better and in the playoffs still.

bengals01
JV Team

Post by bengals01 »

athens78 wrote:One everyone know the AP is a joke and always will be. Two I didn't say Hartley was the same just better and in the playoffs still.
How do you know Hartley's a better team?

JasonClaytor
Freshman Team

Post by JasonClaytor »

RAIDER6309 wrote:
athens78 wrote:Hartley that would beat anyone in DII Region 9 including Athens. Let's be real here. Region 9 is the weakest region of the four. Period
Hartley beat Marion Franklin by 1 on the last play. Steubenville beat Marion Franklin by 7. Athens is 30 pts better than Steubenville
When Hartley beat MF, their quarterback didn't play due to injury. He is their best offensive player. On top of that the back up had a broken foot, so they converted a linebacker to quarterback in 3 days. Also, MF was missing their best offensive player against Steubenville, who is going to Oklahoma. Missing key players sometimes can have a big effect on outcomes of games. Just think if Burrow was out for a game against a good playoff team.

DeSales will be able to move the ball. If they control the clock and keep Athens offense off of the field, they have a really good shot at winning.

This will be a tough task for DeSales but I think they win by a touchdown. This could be a lower scoring game than Athens is used to playing. On the other hand, the two teams could be trading scores all night, which is probably more likely. First team to get more than 2 stops on defense wins!

85cruiser
Riding the Bench

Post by 85cruiser »

Nicely put run n shoot 08. But it will also be a tough task for Athens. If our line doesn't get Burrow the 2 or 3 seconds needed to adjust, it will be another MF or Thurgood type of game. Desales has quite a few big strong physically fit young men over 220 some near 240 or more that are fast also.

Green Beagle
JV Team

Post by Green Beagle »

Will Athens have the game stream on the school website? Was pretty cool watching it that way got to hear Gibson and the guys call the game on the net.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Green Beagle wrote:Will Athens have the game stream on the school website? Was pretty cool watching it that way got to hear Gibson and the guys call the game on the net.
I don't think anyone can video stream playoff games.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

93Bulldog wrote:
Green Beagle wrote:Will Athens have the game stream on the school website? Was pretty cool watching it that way got to hear Gibson and the guys call the game on the net.
I don't think anyone can video stream playoff games.

Correct

Bulldog70
Waterboy

Post by Bulldog70 »

Sapientia et Veritas wrote:
G.W.A. wrote:The best QB's in the land are drop back passer guys.
Sure, in the NFL and at some college teams running a pro-style offense, but the dual threat is the predominantly recruited type. Burrow can run in a jam, but he's not any kind of speed guy. TV showed they could contain him to a degree with pressure. I think DeSales can do the same and better. They haven't been tested against a DeSales quality defense. We'll see if he keeps his cool.
Haven't been tested against a De Sales quality defense? What the...? Tri-Valley is a defensive juggernaut. They went 11-0 only allowing something like 48 points in all of those game combined, and served teams several complete shutouts. Just because Athens scored 41 against them does not mean TriValley's defense wasn't fricking tough. Saying that takes away from the fact that Athens offense is just that solid. TriValleys defensive line were giants, and fast too. What I think you should be saying is that Athens defense will once again prove they do what needs done to hold the other time while the Athens offense will be nothing like De Sales has ever seen. :-D

Bulldog
Waterboy

Post by Bulldog »

Stats are always interesting but it's also important to look at the relative difficulty in building them up.

Overall strength of schedule rankings:
DeSales #110
Athens #463
Tri-Valley #295

This game will be a good one on a cold night. It's usually good to have a strong ground game this time of year.

chiefs
Varsity

Post by chiefs »

Bulldog70 wrote:
Sure, in the NFL and at some college teams running a pro-style offense, but the dual threat is the predominantly recruited type. Burrow can run in a jam, but he's not any kind of speed guy. TV showed they could contain him to a degree with pressure. I think DeSales can do the same and better. They haven't been tested against a DeSales quality defense. We'll see if he keeps his cool.
Haven't been tested against a De Sales quality defense? What the...? Tri-Valley is a defensive juggernaut. They went 11-0 only allowing something like 48 points in all of those game combined, and served teams several complete shutouts. Just because Athens scored 41 against them does not mean TriValley's defense wasn't fricking tough. Saying that takes away from the fact that Athens offense is just that solid. TriValleys defensive line were giants, and fast too. What I think you should be saying is that Athens defense will once again prove they do what needs done to hold the other time while the Athens offense will be nothing like De Sales has ever seen. :-D
Most MVL teams do not have good offenses.

Tumble4You
Waterboy

Post by Tumble4You »

Bulldog70 wrote:
Haven't been tested against a De Sales quality defense? What the...? Tri-Valley is a defensive juggernaut. They went 11-0 only allowing something like 48 points in all of those game combined, and served teams several complete shutouts. Just because Athens scored 41 against them does not mean TriValley's defense wasn't fricking tough. Saying that takes away from the fact that Athens offense is just that solid. TriValleys defensive line were giants, and fast too. What I think you should be saying is that Athens defense will once again prove they do what needs done to hold the other time while the Athens offense will be nothing like De Stales has ever seen. :-D
There will be the same people on here next week saying the same crap.The Bulldogs haven't been tested bla bla bla.

fortdawg
All Conference

Post by fortdawg »

Here's a little Wisdom and Truth for my Latin quoting friend----you will have a long (as well as cold) night if you sit around waiting on Burrow's to get rattled.

xxChampionxx 5
Riding the Bench

Post by xxChampionxx 5 »

Fortdawg wrote:Here's a little Wisdom and Truth for my Latin quoting friend----you will have a long (as well as cold) night if you sit around waiting on Burrow's to get rattled.
Hopefully, he'll enter the stadium just a little bit rattled from solid coaching and a studious film review. Invincible QBs throw jump balls. If he thinks "I'm Joe Burrow" like all you star struck fans then someone else will be saying I'm pick six. A little nervousness is the best medicine against presumption and complacency. Puts the edge on one's focus. Have no fear going in, and you might be overwhelmed with it at crunch time. Week 13. Time to dial up the mental preparation.

96stroker
JV Team

Post by 96stroker »

Jackson moved the ball on Desales I don't think Desales defense will be able to stop Athens offense . Athens 49 Desales 27

bengals01
JV Team

Post by bengals01 »

Fortdawg wrote:Here's a little Wisdom and Truth for my Latin quoting friend----you will have a long (as well as cold) night if you sit around waiting on Burrow's to get rattled.
Hopefully, he'll enter the stadium just a little bit rattled from solid coaching and a studious film review. Invincible QBs throw jump balls. If he thinks "I'm Joe Burrow" like all you star struck fans then someone else will be saying I'm pick six. A little nervousness is the best medicine against presumption and complacency. Puts the edge on one's focus. Have no fear going in, and you might be overwhelmed with it at crunch time. Week 13. Time to dial up the mental preparation.
I’m sure Burrow’s is like any competitor getting ready for a big game
He will have some nervousness and excitement to play in the regional finals
But there is a difference nervousness and getting rattled. Like Fortdawg said
If you think he’ll be rattled coming into the game because of who Athens is
Playing you’ll be wrong. He will come into the game well prepared as all the
Athens players will be.

athens78
All State

Post by athens78 »

Any player, coach, official that doesn't have butterflies before any game regular or playoff season isn't into the game at all. There will be butterflies on both sides Friday night it's a natural reactions.

bengals01
JV Team

Post by bengals01 »

Sapientia et Veritas wrote:I think DeSales has an outside chance. I don't see Williams running on that defense like he's run on everybody else. And I think DeSales can rattle Burrow, if they have their heads on straight. I'm counting the Steuby win as a fluke because they are arrogant jerks and they were at home and all that Roll Red Roll crap was getting into the kids' heads. Other than TV, they haven't been tested, and TV rattled Burrow. They didn't have the stamina to do it for four quarters, but DeSales does. They win the head-to-head on strength and conditioning. They win on the line, too. Probably a little smaller, but they always play bigger. If you doubt that, get in the trenches yourself. Shut down Williams. Pressure Burrow. Tom Herman has already scouted the guy, and he's hedging his bets with Gibson. I love a traditional drop-back pocket dude, but the game has passed this type by. If DeSales can do for four quarters (and I think they can) what TV did for one quarter, then this is a whole new ballgame. You got three guys down field, and you've got one second to read the best option. Burrow takes two seconds. Sorry, Bucks. He'll be awesome at signaling the plays. And he'll be a great coach some day. But, this game? A real test. Keep them under 30, and it's a contest with the Stallions having the edge. 17 year old kids. Psychology. I hate that it's a factor, but it is.
Might be DeSales that gets rattled in this game.
The seniors on the team have what 2 playoff games
Under their belt when they were freshman if they played any
2 this year. DeSales hasn’t been in a regional final since 2009.
We all know their history, state titles ,playoff appearances
Anything prier to 2011 (fr to sr) there’s no playoff game experience
Just past history. Will see Friday.
Hope For safe game for all players.

Return to “Football”