Ironton
Portsmouth
Fairland

DIV 2
Coal Grove
Chesapeake
South Point
Rock Hill

This way Ironton fans won't cry about all the conference games that won't help with playoffs.
All I can say Fairland, Rock Hill and South Point better make some changes quick or all of them will be fighting for the bottom spot.

Fight for the bottom spot? No need to do that, Rock Hill owns it.
I would agree but South Point took the honors this year.

G.W.A.
All Conference

Re: Gallipolis reportedly headed to OVC

Post by G.W.A. »

Logan
Jackson
Warren
Should all be welcomed into the TVC and a third division be started

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

I wonder if Gallia Academy will continue to play Logan, Jackson and Athens annually? The series with Athens never ended and continues as a non-conference game today. Will all three continue as nonconference games? An 8 team OVC means 7 conference games unless it splits into divisions. This only leaves 3 nonconference games. If Athens/Logan/Jackson held those three slots, that means there would never be variety in the schedule from year to year.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

NYBuckeye96 wrote:I don't think Athens killed the SEOAL. When Athens left, there were still 9 teams remaining. Instead, I think the original expansion to the extreme corners of southeast Ohio is what killed the SEOAL. I always questioned the common sense of that move since it happened. When you add in long bus rides to Zanesville, Chillicothe, Portsmouth and Ironton, that doesn't make much sense. I think Athens was going to go to the TVC regardless, but that expansion made no sense at all.

While that expansion was a mistake, not expanding to two divisions and turning down schools in the 1960s was a huge mistake as well. I believe Vinton County applied to the SEOAL at the time it consolidated and was turned down. Instead, the SEOAL should have jumped on adding the newly consolidated schools that founded the TVC --- Vinton County, Warren, Federal Hocking and Belpre. That would have prevented the TVC from forming in the first place. With the new schools, the SEOAL could have broken up into two divisions based on school size. This means Nelsonville-York would have had no reason to leave in 1970. Neither would Wellston in 1982 or Meigs in 1983. The TVC and SEOAL more or less covered the same geographic territory ---- the TVC ended up with all the schools in the middle of that territory, while the SEOAL ended up with the schools on the extreme outskirts of that territory.

If the SEOAL had the foresight to do what other conferences in Ohio such as the OCC, MSL, etc. did decades ago, they would have created divisions of teams in the same geographical area. Instead, the TVC formed out of necessity because some schools had no where to go when the SEOAL turned them down. This gradually let the TVC grow over the decades. A super conference of multiple teams in a few counties is much different than the super conference the SEOAL tried to create in the last decade by reaching to the outskirts of Zanesville, Chillicothe, Portsmouth and Ironton.

You could have had this in the late 1960s as the SEOAL:

Division 1
Athens
Logan
Gallia Academy
Jackson
Warren
Marietta (I'm assuming they would have accepted the invite back then rather than wait until '85)

Division 2
Nelsonville-York
Vinton County
Belpre
Meigs
Wellston
Federal Hocking

With that setup, I don't think NY, Meigs or Wellston would have felt the need to leave the SEOAL. For full consolidation of territory, a 3rd division could have been formed with other teams in today's TVC and teams could move as school sizes changed if the schools wanted to move up or down. You are essentially eliminating any competition from your turf and consolidating full control of high school athletics in neighboring counties to keep travel reasonable.

This is essentially what would have happened had the TVC expanded with the remaining SEOAL schools............the only difference is the conference would have been under the SEOAL name instead of the TVC.

Maybe the lesson to be learned from the SEOAL is not find a new team when one team leaves your conference. Maybe the lesson to be learned is that when one team wants to leave your conference, find out why they want to leave and see if something can be worked out to make all parties happy so that no one wants to leave in the first place.

The SEOAL expansion in 2006 DID include to separate divisions - North and South in all sports except for football.

Even in football the geographic distances were limited - no one played a 9-game league schedule.

Athens leaving destroyed the geographical balance and started the descent into where they are today.

SEOAL North was:
Athens
Logan
Marietta
Warren
Zanesville

SEOAL South was:
Chillicothe
Gallipolis
Ironton
Jackson
Portsmouth

In football you played the other 4 teams in your division plus three crossover games. Those could have been eliminated or reduced after the recession.

In basketball, you played everyone in your division twice and the other division once for a total of 13 league games. Again, crossover games easily could have been reduced or eliminated, but at the time the ADs all wanted more league games so they would have fewer non-league games to schedule.

While I could write a book on how/why expansion killed the SEOAL, Athens would have left for the TVC with or without expansion. Zanesville and Ironton were never "committed" to being in the SEOAL.

But having Chillicothe & Portsmouth and Warren & Marietta without divisions was the killer.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

NYBuckeye96 wrote:I wonder if Gallia Academy will continue to play Logan, Jackson and Athens annually? The series with Athens never ended and continues as a non-conference game today. Will all three continue as nonconference games? An 8 team OVC means 7 conference games unless it splits into divisions. This only leaves 3 nonconference games. If Athens/Logan/Jackson held those three slots, that means there would never be variety in the schedule from year to year.
Logan and Gallipolis played non-league games in 2008 & 2009 when they were not on each other's SEOAL schedule (b/c of Divisional play).

But Logan's AD until two years ago was a Gallipolis graduate.

I would be surprised if Logan and Gallipolis continued to play in football on a consistent basis.

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

LoganLocos wrote:I would be surprised if Logan and Gallipolis continued to play in football on a consistent basis.

Locos, if Logan joins a new league, who do you think Logan would want to keep on the schedule for nonconference games? I would think that NY/Logan would continue, at least off and on as it has in the past, simply because of geography.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

Depends on where Logan goes, if anywhere (especially in the short term).

I'd like to keep rivalries with Athens and Jackson for sure. The biggest problem with the N-Y game is the size discrepancy between the two schools, but its a $$$ maker on both sides and a traditional rival.

Gallipolis is just another 30 minutes longer of a drive and a smaller school. Not saying Logan would never play them again, but would be surprised if it were a "fixture" on the schedule.

If the Mid-State were to add another division of six teams (for example) and Logan had five non-league games, I'd like to see something like: Chillicothe, Zanesville, Jackson, Athens, Nelsonville-York and then 5-league games. Would have to get Chilli and Zanesville earlier b/c of their league commitments.

For the short term, Logan will play anyone within a reasonable drive I think. Still open in week 6 next year (and week 3 in 2016).

2015 Logan Schedule:

AT Athens (D3)
VS Teays Valley (D2)
VS Meigs (D4)
VS Cambridge (D3)
AT N-Y (D6)
OPEN
VS Jackson (D3)
VS Cols. DeSales (D3)
AT Gallipolis (D4)
VS Warren (D4)

bigbluedad
Freshman Team

Post by bigbluedad »

Orange and Brown wrote:
Greygoose wrote:Jackson wouldn't be accepted into the SOC II. If Portsmouth wasn't accepted there's no way Jackson would be. Honestly for Jackson I do believe if it comes to it you'll see them as an independent. TVC already has one team that shouldn't be in there with Athens they're not going to allow, nor do I think Jackson would even apply, another team to run all over them.
Jackson has no shot of getting in the TVC, they have tried twice (once on their own, and with the whole remaining SEOAL last year) and failed.

Warren has a very small chance, but it's slim to none IMO.....

I think Jackson would do well as an independent for the next couple years.

Warren has no chance of getting back into the TVC right now, I was told and have said this before that there are still hard feelings about them leaving back in 1986 and some members do not want them as one of them said Warren would dominate all sports if they we're allowed back in. They would probably have a better shot at getting in the MVL if it comes to that.

seoconstruction
Freshman Team

Post by seoconstruction »

The expansion in 06 was a terrible idea agreed

BBallin fool
SEOP

Post by BBallin fool »

Sad but BIG MOVE.

knightruner
JV Team

Post by knightruner »

I really can't understand why it has taken this long for them to join the OVC. They are a good fit for it and Jackson would also be a great add too. If Jackson would join the OVC I see a league that will have some power and some great games. No one team I think could win the OVC year in and out. 8)

maniac66
All State

Post by maniac66 »

knightruner wrote:I really can't understand why it has taken this long for them to join the OVC. They are a good fit for it and Jackson would also be a great add too. If Jackson would join the OVC I see a league that will have some power and some great games. No one team I think could win the OVC year in and out. 8)
Right now as stands Ironton would be fav year in and out.
Jackson joined be Ironton Jackson year in and out.
with Coal Grove and Gallia Academy fighting for third.
Key word is as now.
Given a few years down the road the OVC schools has 2 choices.
Become better or lay flat.
I think they will be better and I do hope Jackson gets the invite to.
The OVC could become a power league with schools to recon with.
Right away no but in 3-4 years yes.
And that is what they need not only football but across the board

jottings
SEOPS H

Post by jottings »

Gallipolis has had trouble beating Ironton in football and Portsmouth in basketball. Why would GAHS officials want to join the OVC?

maniac66
All State

Post by maniac66 »

Travel and cost fore most.
natural rivals.
And the simple fact it may help them down the road just like Athens when they left the SEOAL.
Some times change is better sometimes not.
I called this move over two years ago and a lot of people said it would never happen.
Gallia was sold to the SEOAL and the OVC would never accept Ironton.
I think it is a fit for both schools and a great win for the OVC.
And I don't think they are done I believe Jackson will be approached and so will Symmes Valley and maybe Oak Hill.
I believe river valley left to early but they did what was best for them.
The OVC is making moves to improve then self's and all their teams.
The SOC has beat them down and for a reason.
The OVC has been weak and has been for several years.
Now it's not just winning a OVC championship and staying home for the playoffs.
It's compete and win the OVC and if not prove our self's in the playoffs.
I do believe Gallia waited to see if Ironton and Portsmouth was committed.

GalliaGrad78
SEOP

Post by GalliaGrad78 »

I'll believe it when I see it.

goUK
Varsity

Post by goUK »

If the ovc keeps going it will destroy the league just like the seoal did. Jackson is huge compared to symmes valley so i dont think sv would do that. And why add more teams just to go to 2 divisions. With 8 teams all teams will have 3 out of conference games. Some will schedule weak which they probably should and some can schedule strong. If i had to guess ironton will schedule ashland, russell and burg. Every year they will go 2-1 and get big points. A team like RH or SP could schedule down to try to get some confidence. Adding anymore teams makes zero sense.

Geography is not the reason. Its just a more stable league right now. Gallia Academy is going to find out why RV left which was a lot of long trips. I hope all non conference games during the week are not long drives (south gallia, river valley, point pleasant).

To ports 1:27
To ironton 1:15
To RH 1:04
To CG 1:15
TO SP 1:15
TO CHES 1:05
TO FAIR :54

TO WARREN 1:25
TO LOGAN 1:30
To jackson :45
Last edited by goUK on Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:56 am, edited 3 times in total.

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

Go before it is too late!

ji81grad
Riding the Bench

Post by ji81grad »

Interesting debate for sure. I think it's a good move for Gallia.

As for Warren and the TVC I personally think a grudge is the best reason one could ever have to do, or in this case not do something that would be beneficial to your cause.

Jackson to the TVC? NO, NO NO. Moving to the TVC would be good for Jackson in several sports but a really poor fit in football. Athens will graduate their team this season and barring some coaching changes at OU, the foreseeable future isn't so good. Vinton County is in a seemingly endless whirlpool of sub standard football, which is sad. I know they've got kids, just seems they're not playing football.

The best available option for Jackson is the SCOL. Don't know if that's feasible but it would appear to be the best option.

And then there's Logan. They'll have to bite the bullet and try to find a landing spot. Most likely need to look north.

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

I'm a huge fan of this move. Gallia Academy has a long history of playing OVC schools on a regular basis. This will also enable the Ironton/Gallia series to continue. I'm also sick of hearing about gas prices. SE Ohio is a very rural area; if you want to play, you're going to have to drive.

local superstar
All State

Post by local superstar »

Good move. May provide a little more competition to the mix of little if any now.

Return to “Football”