Gibson Going to OSU

ucantcme
Freshman Team

Gibson Going to OSU

Post by ucantcme »

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/index.ssf/ ... _on_f.html

This kid is not going to be a receiver. Looks like the next QB at Ohio State and thats just what the coaches are telling him.
Five-star QB Torrance Gibson committed to Ohio State because 'playing QB means everything': Buckeyes recruiting

JasonClaytor
Freshman Team

Re: Gibson Going to OSU

Post by JasonClaytor »

Knew it was going to happen. Burrow should start looking at other options.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

run n shoot 08 wrote:Knew it was going to happen. Burrow should start looking at other options.
I was thinking the same thing. He will never see the field at OSU

moonshine
SEO

Post by moonshine »

4th n Goal wrote:
run n shoot 08 wrote:Knew it was going to happen. Burrow should start looking at other options.
I was thinking the same thing. He will never see the field at OSU
If he want to compete, then this commitment will make him that much tougher! Or he will go to OU!!!!!!!!

Blackjack
JV Team

Post by Blackjack »

He is a great Quarterback. He should decommit and go to a place that he fits their system (Not Ohio). He is not an Urban kind of QB. Urban got the guy he wanted. Good Luck.

lineman7
All Conference

Post by lineman7 »

OSU is all about extreme competition now. No promises are made to recruits that they will ever start, but only promises that they will be able to compete and prove they are the better player. If Burrow leaves because he doesn't want to compete then it is probably better for both sides to do it now

Buckeye-4-Life
JV Team

Post by Buckeye-4-Life »

I was told that Urban had said to Burrows that there wouldnt be another QB taken in his class. Dont know if that was true or not but if I was the Burrow kid I would be looking to go else where as well. The kid is a stud and doesnt need to sit behind a kid that is going to run around all the time and just fling it!

moonshine
SEO

Post by moonshine »

Buckeye-4-Life wrote:I was told that Urban had said to Burrows that there wouldnt be another QB taken in his class. Dont know if that was true or not but if I was the Burrow kid I would be looking to go else where as well. The kid is a stud and doesnt need to sit behind a kid that is going to run around all the time and just fling it!
If Burrow is a competitor he will honor his commitment to the BUCKEYES! Also, to be the best compete against the best!

At any position you need a pair and a spare!

Bo_Diaz
JV Team

Post by Bo_Diaz »

The opportunity get a scholarship offer to play QB at Ohio State is a dream come true for countless kids in the Buckeye state and across the country. Acting like we have any idea what is best for Burrow and his family, as well as judging his ability to play the QB position at a high level 3-4 years down the road is probably not where SEOPs posters are the authority. The kid is a high level athlete that comes from a coaching/athletic family that knows and understands the college recruiting process. And while Gibson is a big get and a high rated athlete, there have been numerous instances where the scouting services have missed on what a player will become. If Joe Burrow loves the idea of being a Buckeye and competing for the QB position at a marquee school, then who are we to say any different. If things work out, then he's a Buckeye QB or at worst has a degree from one of the top institutions in the US... If they don't, then the kid still has the option of transferring another school where he'll have to compete for the position once again. I see know reason that he should back away from his commitment.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

I don't think anyone is doubting his ability or skill, but he does not fit the mold of the ideal QB for Urban Meyer. If he is looking more at the big picture and to get his education, by all means stay, but if he is interested in getting on the field on Saturdays, that may not be his best option. It's all about what your expectations are and what you want to get out of the college experience.

I just pulled up the OSU rosters. Right now, there are 5 QBs already on the roster (2 freshman, 2 sophs, and Braxton Miller) If you add in Gibson, there are at least 6 others competing for playing time next fall.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

If Burrows is thinking beyond college football he should be in a system that fits into a pro QB. Not saying a QB like Miller can't make it in the pros..just the odds are against the running QB plus the ones that do make it get hurt and are never the same. I would love to see Burrow make it at OSU but i just do not see it happening...............

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

You guys do realize that Urban had an undefeated season with Alex Smith, won a National Championship with Chris Leak and is using JT Barrett now (who is not faster or more elusive than Burrow despite how he looks).

So -

1. Burrow is a dual threat. He just prefers to throw first.

2. Urban has won big time with "pass-first" QBs with decent to limited mobility.

Even Tebow was a distributor without great speed (was a tough runner). Braxton is the only QB Urban has used that is an extremely explosive runner with questionable accuracy as a passer, and Urban didn't recruit him.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Burrow's mind, his attitude, his work ethic and his accuracy will give him every opportunity to compete. He will be fine. All the big schools in SEC country wanted Gibson as an athlete, which is why he chose OSU, because they promised him an opportunity to play QB. But if schools in his own backyard didn't want him under center, there must be a reason.

If in three years Burrow doesn't think he can beat out Gibson (after Barrett graduates) - then transfer - it's not like he will be the first player to ever do such a thing.

Region 15
JV Team

Post by Region 15 »

With Smith and Spencer graduating Gibson might have to be a receiver his freshmen season, although I see him redshirting next season. As for Burrow, do all you can to prove everyone wrong, anything can happen. The worse thing to do is run away from competition.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

Joe is a tough kid and a competitor, at the end of the day he will have had his chance to prove himself.
No one knows what will happen a couple years down the road. Lots of 5 star recruits wash up and never see the field and lots of 3 star recruits prove to be solid players.

I don't think he will go anywhere else because he wants to be a Buckeye,,,

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

This article speaks of the QB cluster. Good read

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/index.ssf/ ... t_and.html

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

So many are giving up on the Athens QB.

He is the best QB, I have watched the last two years.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

4th n Goal wrote:I don't think anyone is doubting his ability or skill, but he does not fit the mold of the ideal QB for Urban Meyer. If he is looking more at the big picture and to get his education, by all means stay, but if he is interested in getting on the field on Saturdays, that may not be his best option. It's all about what your expectations are and what you want to get out of the college experience.

I just pulled up the OSU rosters. Right now, there are 5 QBs already on the roster (2 freshman, 2 sophs, and Braxton Miller) If you add in Gibson, there are at least 6 others competing for playing time next fall.
Blackjack wrote:He is a great Quarterback. He should decommit and go to a place that he fits their system (Not Ohio). He is not an Urban kind of QB. Urban got the guy he wanted. Good Luck.

What is an "Urban Meyer QB"?

At Bowling Green Josh Harris was an "athlete" who played QB.

At Utah, Alex Smith was a pass first, capable runner - went undefeated in 2004.

At Florida, he won a national title with Chris Leak (pocket passer) and Tim Tebow (no one else has ever played QB like him). Tebow certainly is not a Gibson type QB.

His last year at UF he used John Brantley - a guy he recruited - who was a pocket passer.

At Ohio State he has had Braxton Miller and JT Barrett and had pretty equal success.

There is no "ideal" Meyer QB. There is no Urban Meyer "kind" of QB.

He's won with all types. Burrow can absolutely compete, and WIN, the OSU QB job.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

Troy smith wasn't highly recruited, wasnt ranked very high by all the recruiting gurus and was never suppose to see the field because of a 5star qb named Justin zwick, anyone remember how that turned out.

athens78
All State

Post by athens78 »

Burrow will be red shirted not Gibson. I still can't see him making the field but as they have said if you want a quality education and to at least dress he'll be fine. barrett is a better quarterback at this point and will have a huge year of college ball under his belt which is a big plus. Miller? may come back and take over but I doubt it.

Return to “Football”