Portsmouth west @ bishop Hartley

Bulldog
Waterboy

Re: Portsmouth west @ bishop Hartley

Post by Bulldog »

Lots of questions while driving home from work, I'll take them on as I remember them.

Loud 4x4s are absolutely welcome on my street. Preferably you will have a full cooler in the back with easy access.

All of the sports seem to have banners hung in the gym with regional and state championship years. I don't pay that much attention but I think the girls volleyball team is always in the mix for a regional or state title. Hartley has nice looking baseball facility at the corner of Livingston and Zettler. It might be a myth but DeSales seems to dominate the soccer scene in the CCL. Golfers go to St. Charles and I've read recently they do well in water polo.

As far as I know, there are no athletic scholarships at Hartley. I don't know anything about open enrollment, vouchers, or anything along those line. My best guess for travel distance would be from 1 mile to 15. I'm 11 miles out.

I get exactly zero support from our parish or any other source. I've never been ask to support a tuition fund, be a booster, or anything along those lines. I don't know if Hartley has a benefactor(s). St. Charles seems to have a lot of wealth support. The campus is beautiful from the curb.

Bulldog
Waterboy

Post by Bulldog »

PirateFan2 wrote:I remember the Burg/ Hartley game....it was back and forth like neither team had a defense! until like you said....Burg fumbled and Hartley went up by 2 tds.
ANYTHING can happen at ANY game!
It was 28-6 at half time and the only drive Hartley didn't score on was when the 2nd qtr. clock expired. Back and forth might be charitable. I don't see where Hartley ever punted or turn it over on downs. Hartley was 2 for 2 on 4th downs and I don't see any turnovers. That tells me the Pirate defense never stopped Hartley. 22 points was the biggest margin in the 1st half and the two teams tied the 2nd half. All I really remember is it was really cold with a nasty wind.

http://www.hsgamecenter.com/football/male/game/2447066

xxChampionxx 5
Riding the Bench

Post by xxChampionxx 5 »

4th n Goal wrote:
run n shoot 08 wrote:Competitive balance crap isn't happening.
It has already passed and will be happening. Bishop Hartley was (conveniently) 2 boys away from being D4 in the last count and will move up when it goes into effect if they don't "adjust" their maximum enrollment.
there are people at Hartley whose job it is to do retention and recruitment in order to keep the school in business and to maintain an enrollment level necessary to keep all the teachers employed. These people are completely oblivious to sports and enrollment numbers necessary to stay in any particular division if it were even possible to predict future cutoffs by sport to find the optimal enrollment levels to compete in some particular football or basketball division. Most of the community was disappointed by the drop in football division. We seemed to like tough games like Kenton, Alter, and Massie. We expect excellence regardless of division, and the boys work their butts off to achieve success just like the kids at your school. It's disrespectful and unsportsmanlike to presume that there is some master manipulator running the school in order to achieve athletic success by gaming the numbers. Thinking that we can out attract (what you mistakenly call "recruit") players from within our OCC division 1 territory is just nuts. In 2009, we could have gotten Godwin Igwebuike. He attended the local Catholic Hartley feeder school. And his family are black Catholics for those fascinated by sociological statistics and whatnot. He would have been been a one for one on the CBP calculations. He lived in Pickerington, an OCC division 1 school. The decision was simple. Free tuition at a school that was the academic peer and maybe superior vs $6-7K per year. (The idea of "boosters" or alumni loaded with wads of cash just ready to hand out by the bagful to prospects just completely craps over the significant personal sacrifice that I and plenty of others had to make to prevent our kids from blowing out their MCLs by stepping into a cavernous sprinkler divots playing Nona-football sports by putting in a synthetic surface that we still don't have the money to replace when it wears out so bohica start scraping them nickels together again because we can't pass a levy to take other people's money or work some public school funding scam with DOE to shake out some Benjamins) A D1 contender vs a (then) D4 school that had last won a state championship 23 years ago. This program was built on hard work, determination, and grit just like yours. Show some respect for the game.

siderman57
Freshman Team

Post by siderman57 »

AHM wrote:
Jolly P(irate) wrote:There is absolutely no way Hartley puts a running clock on Burg or Ironton.
If the running clock rule was in effect last year, Hartley would have had one against wheelersburg.

The last 2 times hartley has played Ironton (the last 2 years) Hartley has asked for shorten quarters. Hartley won handily in what would have been a running clock under the current rules.

Hartley is much better this year than in years past do you can draw your win conclusions. Looks like well see on the field in the coming weeks.

LOL now thats funny...... :lol:

The Flying Dutchman
Varsity

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

Noles Fan believes all Catholic schools recruit but that Jameis Winston signed 2000 pieces for free :lol: :lol: :lol:

siderman57
Freshman Team

Post by siderman57 »

yabbadabbadoo wrote:
AHM wrote:
Jolly P(irate) wrote:There is absolutely no way Hartley puts a running clock on Burg or Ironton.
If the running clock rule was in effect last year, Hartley would have had one against wheelersburg.

The last 2 times hartley has played Ironton (the last 2 years) Hartley has asked for shorten quarters. Hartley won handily in what would have been a running clock under the current rules.

Hartley is much better this year than in years past do you can draw your win conclusions. Looks like well see on the field in the coming weeks.

When did Hartley ever have a 30 point lead against Wheelersburg last year? Burg was matching them score for score until burg "fumbled" deep in Hartley territory when burg was going for the tie. They got down two TD' s and couldn't make up the difference. Like someone said earlier Hartley struggled stopping the burg QB running the ball so maybe ghost is the answer.

West needs to have long scoring drives and keep hartleys offense on the sidelines. Anything can happen.

xxChampionxx 5
Riding the Bench

Post by xxChampionxx 5 »

Westfan wrote:Does Hartley give athletic "scholarships"?
Hartley does not. My daughter attended Hartley. She received half of the only student-athlete scholarship that anyone received that year, including a kid who is now on a D1 FB scholarship in college who didn't get it. She attended a Catholic grade school and was a three season athlete there. She was arguably the worst athlete on every team. In high school, she earned zero varsity letters. She played zero minutes of varsity time in all of her no-cut sports. She won the scholarship because she wrote an honest and heartfelt essay of the limited but important role that scrubs play on a winning team in cheering on their teammates and giving them a few minutes of rest without screwing up too bad.

There are no athletic scholarships at Hartley. Just academic. And those aren't "academic" with the regular scare quotes connotation. They awarded by the academic dean who is nice but athletically clueless to the point of requiring third party guidance to know the difference between when a good or bad thing just happened on the field/court. She favors clumsy nerds.

Hartley also provides need based financial aid to students that is awarded by some diocese committee that is annoyingly sports-blind.
How far do kids come to play there?
Columbus Diocese has attendance zones that limit the school's ability to "recruit." The zones are inflexible completely when a kid who looks vaguely footballish/basketballish asks to attend a school outside his zone. Principals make the rulings for exemptions/waivers and they are given seldom to jock types. In Columbus diocese only St. Charles has open enrollment because it's a nerd magnet school. If they were ever competitive in Non-preppy/manly sports that could change. We're not holding our breath which may be why they destroy everyone in water polo, ha ha. My daughter is college friends with a guy who attended Ready even though he lives down the street from Hartley. He's got a look like a well-passed football or basketball could possibly kill him so his mother's appeal for a waiver was granted because it clearly wasn't sports-driven. Otherwise, you attend where you live. Waivers are not required when a child in an outlier county who attended a franklin county feeder school. Like my family. We live in Fairfield county. Sarah Palin could see Pickerington, bloom Carroll, canal Winchester, and liberty union school districts from our house. We sent our kids to Hartley and the fisher folk never squawked. I know of one girl from Lancaster who went to school there but she too was unskilled in the ball handling arts.

You have to live nearby. With CBP, you'll have to move before 7th grade. My guess is that the impact on enrollment numbers is minimal anyhow. The Columbus Catholics don't have the problems like SWO, NEO, and Mahoning valley.

xxChampionxx 5
Riding the Bench

Post by xxChampionxx 5 »

Westfan wrote:Does Hartley give athletic "scholarships"?
Hartley does not. My daughter attended Hartley. She received half of the only student-athlete scholarship that anyone received that year, including a kid who is now on a D1 FB scholarship in college who didn't get it. She attended a Catholic grade school and was a three season athlete there. She was arguably the worst athlete on every team. In high school, she earned zero varsity letters. She played zero minutes of varsity time in all of her no-cut sports. She won the scholarship because she wrote an honest and heartfelt essay of the limited but important role that scrubs play on a winning team in cheering on their teammates and giving them a few minutes of rest without screwing up too bad.

There are no athletic scholarships at Hartley. Just academic. And those aren't "academic" with the regular scare quotes connotation. They awarded by the academic dean who is nice but athletically clueless to the point of requiring third party guidance to know the difference between when a good or bad thing just happened on the field/court. She favors clumsy nerds.

Hartley also provides need based financial aid to students that is awarded by some diocese committee that is annoyingly sports-blind.
How far do kids come to play there?
Columbus Diocese has attendance zones that limit the school's ability to "recruit." The zones are inflexible completely when a kid who looks vaguely footballish/basketballish asks to attend a school outside his zone. Principals make the rulings for exemptions/waivers and they are given seldom to jock types. In Columbus diocese only St. Charles has open enrollment because it's a nerd magnet school. If they were ever competitive in Non-preppy/manly sports that could change. We're not holding our breath which may be why they destroy everyone in water polo, ha ha. My daughter is college friends with a guy who attended Ready even though he lives down the street from Hartley. He's got a look like a well-passed football or basketball could possibly kill him so his mother's appeal for a waiver was granted because it clearly wasn't sports-driven. Otherwise, you attend where you live. Waivers are not required when a child in an outlier county who attended a franklin county feeder school. Like my family. We live in Fairfield county. Sarah Palin could see Pickerington, bloom Carroll, canal Winchester, and liberty union school districts from our house. We sent our kids to Hartley and the fisher folk never squawked. I know of one girl from Lancaster who went to school there but she too was unskilled in the ball handling arts.

You have to live nearby. With CBP, you'll have to move before 7th grade. My guess is that the impact on enrollment numbers is minimal anyhow. The Columbus Catholics don't have the problems like SWO, NEO, and Mahoning valley.

xxChampionxx 5
Riding the Bench

Post by xxChampionxx 5 »

Piratepride86 wrote:answer this then how much % wise does your church pay towards your childs tuition?
Here's how it worked for me, and the priest at the time is gone and deceased but I never changed my practices when the new guy got assigned...

He called me in. Told me the parish education subsidy was X dollars per year. Gave me a "voluntary" contribution envelope that had an account number on it that just coincidentally matched my tuition account number. Told me to put in X * 2 every year, and we wouldn't have to meet on the subject again and I probably wouldn't burn in Purgatory for too long for that one reason. People talk. We all got the same story and he meant it, so we all just went along.

At the time,we were talking about kindergarten and its waiting list, so the usual combination of guilt and duty kicked in and we just always paid. We're done now, but we still pay.

I still talk and everyone still does the same.

on a mission
All Conference

Post by on a mission »

I've heard it's not "scholarships"but tuition" waivers"!?

Badboy
Varsity

Post by Badboy »

Good luck Siders.

All you can do is play your best game and leave it all on the field.

Hartley may in fact be a shoe in for the region but Coldwater will again knock them off in the semis or finals.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

I'M KINDA SORRY I BROUGHT THE SUBJECT UP. BUT EVERYBODY DOWN HERE KNOWS.
personally I think there should be private state championship games and public ones like other states.
there is a reason that through the years teams like Youngstown ursiline we able to play d1 and d2 teams, limp into the playoffs in THEIR division , then win by a rout. I've seen ursiline teams that were arguably the best in the state that year.

anyhoo we know we play good hard nosed football from down south. and I promise west, burg, and ironton ain't skeered of Hartley. but non the less it's still a unfair advantage. but I hope the siders upset them. as does every public school in the south.

Old Bulldog
Freshman Team

Post by Old Bulldog »

Private schools have won 102 of 209 state football championships according to the OHSAA web site. That is 48%. I don't believe that private schools are even close to representing 48% of all the schools playing football in the state. The percentages are way out of whack because the private schools have an advantage over the public schools. Numbers don't lie. It is not a level playing field for the public schools. Let's not pretend that it is. I personally would like to see the state championships split up into public and private state champs. Other states do this already.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

I can't believe I just read the post above. There is no way a private religious school can maintain a football team like it does without some sort of "recruit" emphasis or tuition forgiveness.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

that's what we're trying to tell people. do you realize how few catholic teams there are in reference to public schools, yet they have won nearly half the championships. yet you want to try to convince us, it's because academically they are held to a higher standard ------horsefeathers.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

frankly it makes me mad to think I'm not smarter than to know better.
all those years ironton faced this situation it was discouraging.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

I saw a game winning drive go on at the shoe with ironton playing ASVSM, and the drive was kept going on 4th and long where a kid was laid out on the ground for a pass it easily hit 3 feet to the side of him, he caught it on the short hop, and it was called a completion. not like they weren't already loaded. they owned the refs too.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

well I got all that out of my system and it happens every year. it's a big pimple to scratch for us ironton folk.

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

Thanks to the area fans on the comments on this thread, appreciate the support. You know we might argue with each other during the season but when it comes time for the playoffs we got each others back. Especially when one of us play a private school from up north. Truely proud of being from southern ohio. Besh wishes and good luck to the Pirates,Tigers, Indians and Vikings and the Portsmouth West Senators.

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

luvbigcats wrote:Thanks to the area fans on the comments on this thread, appreciate the support. You know we might argue with each other during the season but when it comes time for the playoffs we got each others back. Especially when one of us play a private school from up north. Truely proud of being from southern ohio. Besh wishes and good luck to the Pirates,Tigers, Indians and Vikings and the Portsmouth West Senators.
8)

Return to “Football”