Portsmouth west @ bishop Hartley

osu 77
All State

Re: Portsmouth west @ bishop Hartley

Post by osu 77 »

You're Tiger Bait wrote:
4th n Goal wrote:All of these comments are (IMO) showing that the new staff at West has done a good job at bringing back excitement and more importantly discipline and good fundamental play to West Football. I see West gaining respect as a solid opponent. As CoachC mentioned, this is an undersized group of kids and they have had a solid season and made the playoffs with a new coach/system, which shows that they are buying into what the new staff is teaching. As was mentioned earlier, small things like cleaning up the sideline excessive personnel and kids keeping their helmets on the whole game, go a long way in demonstrating that you are a organized, disciplined group to be taken seriously.

As far as this game goes, West has nothing to lose in this one and they should let it all hang out because most people aren't giving them a chance. I am sure Coach Johnson will have them mentally prepared, but they will need a couple mistakes to go their way and who knows what could happen.
indeed 4th, good southern football from proud communities down here.

You guys at West act like the program was in the dirt. Until the last 8 years no-one in southern Ohio knew West had a team. By the way LU is in the playoffs to I guess their coaching change made a difference. That is right they beat West.

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

OSU 77 wrote:
You're Tiger Bait wrote:
4th n Goal wrote:All of these comments are (IMO) showing that the new staff at West has done a good job at bringing back excitement and more importantly discipline and good fundamental play to West Football. I see West gaining respect as a solid opponent. As CoachC mentioned, this is an undersized group of kids and they have had a solid season and made the playoffs with a new coach/system, which shows that they are buying into what the new staff is teaching. As was mentioned earlier, small things like cleaning up the sideline excessive personnel and kids keeping their helmets on the whole game, go a long way in demonstrating that you are a organized, disciplined group to be taken seriously.

As far as this game goes, West has nothing to lose in this one and they should let it all hang out because most people aren't giving them a chance. I am sure Coach Johnson will have them mentally prepared, but they will need a couple mistakes to go their way and who knows what could happen.

You guys at West act like the program was in the dirt. Until the last 8 years no-one in southern Ohio knew West had a team. What players do you think the coaches are playing with?
Let's see 12 years ago West made it to the State Finals. Everyone knew who they were. They have been in the SOC mix for many years. Your statement is convoluted and untrue. The program was under performing in the eyes of West fans. They have brought in a good coach who has without a doubt made some huge changes and who is winning over the community as a whole. All of the SOC can see the difference and everyone is pleased.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

Jolly P(irate) wrote:Let's see 12 years ago West made it to the State Finals. Everyone knew who they were. They have been in the SOC mix for many years. Your statement is convoluted and untrue. The program was under performing in the eyes of West fans. They have brought in a good coach who has without a doubt made some huge changes and who is winning over the community as a whole. All of the SOC can see the difference and everyone is pleased.
Exactly and I didn't realize the YTB and myself were from West.... :roll: ................................................................................ I think it says "Location Wheelersburg" over here :arrow:

osu 77
All State

Post by osu 77 »

Keep eating them donuts and drinking the Kool-Aid.

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

OSU 77 wrote:Keep eating them donuts and drinking the Kool-Aid.
Your drunk on HATER AID.

Hoggy
SEOP

Post by Hoggy »

Good luck to the Senators and congrats on making it to week 11.

Instead of comparing or making statements that are focused on the past (coaching mainly), why not focus on what is actually happening now? These kids have played hard week in and week out to make it this far and apparently the new coach and crew have done some great things in only his first season. From the outside looking in, it is apparent that there was and is going to be some changes not agreed by the supporters of the past and will be welcomed by the fan base that desired a new approach and coaching style. Either way, your team is having a good year and the program needs everyone to get behind them and show support.

Give them hell West and enjoy the moment!

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

It's cool reading some of the posts from bitter rivals about the positive direction of the West program.
These coaches and kids have done an amazing job. I hope we win Saturday, but we could loose by 70 and this would still be a successful season.

spchapman19
Waterboy

Post by spchapman19 »

lets go West lets show them how we play football in
southern Ohio

Kay
Waterboy

Post by Kay »

OSU 77 wrote:
You're Tiger Bait wrote:

You guys at West act like the program was in the dirt. Until the last 8 years no-one in southern Ohio knew West had a team. By the way LU is in the playoffs to I guess their coaching change made a difference. That is right they beat West.
Good post!

piratepride86
JV Team

Post by piratepride86 »

Westfan wrote:It's cool reading some of the posts from bitter rivals about the positive direction of the West program.
These coaches and kids have done an amazing job. I hope we win Saturday, but we could loose by 70 and this would still be a successful season.

I don't know if it is bitter. Just having fun.
And yes it was a successful season and hope it continues...

local superstar
All State

Post by local superstar »

Westfan I dont think anyone has a reason to be bitter? You and your little group ooverreact a little though! Good luck Saturday and safe travels!Luvbigcat....it is Truly not truely.

seasick80
All State

Post by seasick80 »

The FC Fan wrote:I'm never a big fan of these threads because of the way they end up going. Without a doubt, Hartley has an advantage in terms of the personnel they can grab, as does basically every private school, when they are _winning_. Hartley can more or less have students coming from 3/8 of Columbus, Reynoldsburg, Gahanna, Groveport, Pickerington, Canal Winchester, Pataskala, and even Carroll. However, unlike your Cincinnati, Cleveland, and Youngstown privates, the vast majority of the student population's tuition is paid through actual money paid by parents or even trusts as opposed to vouchers and blanket need-based scholarships. BH has very good parental involvement - for many of those kids' parents private education is sought as a priority rather than an option, especially for the legacy Catholic families. The parishes up there only pay part of your tuition if you're a practicing Catholic - and thus there's a rate for Catholic families and non-Catholic families. The rate for Catholic families is after what the parish picks up. Their athletic programs are generally stout through good coaching in their middle and jr high levels, they're a lot more focused on the individuals as a result of a smaller pool of kids to have to coach rather than the masses of a larger public school program.

Now, there's undoubtedly a non-zero number of Hartley students that aren't well-versed in Catholic tradition. Some of their athletes don't come from the feeder schools, but I'd venture to say they have the same amount of non-athlete students that aren't from the Catholic feeder schools. There's a myth that schools such as Hartley try to keep their enrollment low for athletic purposes; well considering how they play larger schools annually I don't see why they would do such a thing, but more importantly it's an old school. In fact, I believe it's actually at its capacity, or near to it (90% or so?).

There will always be a public/private stir whenever these matchups come along down here, and understandably so. Some of these communities are really invested in their kids and raising the bar so their kids can reach their potential, and to see it squashed by an apparent super team from up north? Racine Southern comes to mind as a school that's been burnt consistently by this (baseball). I think there will always be hard feelings when it comes to these games... not necessarily a "haves and the have nots" deal, but a lot of disappointment in the system.

Yes, Hartley does have attendance zones... however like Sapientia mentions Hartley can benefit from exploits in the "system", families in Carroll, Pickerington, Baltimore and Canal can send their kids to Hartley and there's not much the local Catholic school, FC, can do about it. Athletes or not, we'd love to have them at our school and we'd welcome them with open arms. However, it doesn't seem like many of the families or even the priests at those parishes are willing to give Fisher a chance, come by and look at the school or talk to the principal. And as far as I know, Fisher can't even try to "recruit" out of those areas let alone advertise there by Diocese and OHSAA mandate. Parents and kids are interested and willing to take on the school that is more attractive and can offer what's best. Some of it will be inherently sisyphean and unfair if the Diocese keeps letting the kids that live 10-15 minutes (Carroll area), 20ish minutes (Pickerington/Canal) from our school go to the school that looks better on the outside (athletically and aesthetically) that's inside the 270 outerbelt.

Hartley plays by the rules, but it might be close to a fine line they walk if you look at the egregiously large population of kids they can pull from. However, I'll reserve some gripe for that because it's their parents that are willing to drive the farther distance, pay the higher tuition, etc etc LOL which isn't something you might see with your Youngstowns, Clevelands, Daytons etc The other Diocesan schools such as Fisher , Rosecrans, and TCC have to play ball with a much small population of willing families.
Great post. I have googled every thing I can about Hartley school district and NOTHING tends to show that they are a recruiting magnet. Ur comment about their being in a CROWD of atheletes in their school districts and adjacent ones is a big advantage to them, much like the schools in Cincinnati. If we had the same population center, we could do the same. It is what it is.

Good luck Siders!!

The Oaf
SEO

Post by The Oaf »

local superstar wrote:Westfan I dont think anyone has a reason to be bitter? You and your little group ooverreact a little though! Good luck Saturday and safe travels!Luvbigcat....it is Truly not truely.
It's overreact, not ooverreact Feynman. Curious as to why you didn't address OSU 77's tripe but instead commented on a post containing a grammatical error. You two mouth breathers are completely inept and laughable. You idiots from the past really cast Trip in a bad light. If people like you are who he surrounded himself and the West program with then we are already light years ahead. Good riddance!

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

I'm excioted for all the local schools in the playoffs this year.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

GET ER DONE SIDERS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BBallin fool
SEOP

Post by BBallin fool »

HARTLEY.

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

BBallin fool wrote:HARTLEY.
BBallin fool wrote:HARTLEY.
what about em?

JasonClaytor
Freshman Team

Post by JasonClaytor »

Prediction:

Hartley- 57
Portsmouth West- 13

xxChampionxx 5
Riding the Bench

Post by xxChampionxx 5 »

run n shoot 08 wrote:Prediction:

Hartley- 57
Portsmouth West- 13
That's probably a good spread. 40-50. Put That Lean On 'Em!

seasick80
All State

Post by seasick80 »

West has a pretty stout Dline and very good coverage corners. They have good LBs that can get to the gaps and make plays. They will hit you. The offense is another thing. I hope they get that fullback involved in a lot of plays. The kid is a stud. Good luck to the Siders. Bad draw but ur in!! And the kids will learn from it!!

Return to “Football”