Region 9 - Who will win the Regional Championship?

SOHSP
Freshman Team

Region 9 - Who will win the Regional Championship?

Post by SOHSP »

Alright - week 10 is here and the regular season is almost over!!! Before the playoffs and seeds are set, I am very interested in hearing everyone's thoughts (predictions) on who wins the region - even if it means some Bulldog bashing!

Lets hear it - who wins and why?

4thgoal
SEOPS

Re: Region 9 - Who will win the Regional Championship?

Post by 4thgoal »

I don't know much about these teams, but Tri-Valley averaging 44 ppg and not allowing more than 7 pts in a game this year (34 pts allowed in 9 weeks) looks to be extremely tough.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

I think it will be Athens or Tri Valley. I think Tri Valley has the better defense though.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

let me throw my 2 cents worth in here.very tough d3 region

1-tri valley-------unbeaten
2-jackson --------unbeaten
3-dover
4-granville
5-logan elm
6- Athens unbeaten and a win over stuebenville but will likely win and play 1st week on the road because of weaker
schedule
7-COLUMBUS DESALES 7-2.---2 losses to division 1 Westerville south-17-21------------2nd loss 7-21 d5 frontrunner Columbus bishop Hartley
8-sunbury big walnut.

I've seen desales come in 5-5 and win state titles, ironton has had so many run ins with these guys. like 80 players, probably 25 will be over 265. they don't sub players , they sub platoons. tri valley is wasting people . Jackson at 2 has a chance, and certainly not counting out Athens, but much weaker schedule overall than Jackson.you have 3 teams undefeated in the region 1 and 2 tri-valley and Jackson, but they have been rewarded by beating teams who are beating teams. then you have Athens at 6 who is unbeaten, they almost certainly will beat a very game NY team that's just undermanned for these size games. and likely be on the road week 11. that's why the tvc is not in my opinion a good fit for Athens, somehow they lose to NY, they would likely miss playoffs at 9-1. I think personally Jackson is more battle tested than Athens between these 2 unbeaten. I'd love to see either win a region and state title. especially Jackson because we play them and lost by 11.------------BUT I'M GOING TO SAY COLUMBUS SAINT FRANCIS DESALES.seen it too many times. playing these private schools is a beast. the officiating is different. you need to be 17 points better than them to have a shot. until something is changed. I predict 4/5 private schools win the state this year out of the 7 divisions. would love to see either local team Athens or Jackson. but I say it will be desales.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

just my humble opinion.would love to see a public school system win it though.

doubleplay643
S

Post by doubleplay643 »

We don't even know for sure who final 8 are as of this post. But based on my assumption that DeSales and Chillicothe/Big Walnut make the last 2 spots that haven't been clinched I will throw a dart at this one.

First of all the cliche that defense wins championships I believe is true, the question is an offensive juggernaut good enough to win a Region (not a state championship but a regional championship) and I think the answer is probably yes, so early favorite is Athens.

If Athens gets to final four and faces Hubbard at some point, look for the defense wins championships cliche to be a factor.

Be interesting to see if TV and Athens get locked up on one side of the bracket play or not.
Last edited by doubleplay643 on Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

teach1coach2
All State

Post by teach1coach2 »

Tri-Valley. Has been talented for about 8 years, but usually has lots of players going both ways. This year they start the game with no two way players. They do rotate some offensive players in on defense and rotate some defense players on offense. About 10 quality lineman. Big, fast, physical defensive backs.

Hoping no one stubs their toe in week 11, because I am looking forward to Athens vs. Tri-Valley at Zanesville.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

so since it pertains to this region who do you folks from that region think would win between Athens/Jackson.

bengals01
JV Team

Post by bengals01 »

You're Tiger Bait wrote:so since it pertains to this region who do you folks from that region think would win between Athens/Jackson.

I think Athens would win. But not because they beat Jackson last year in a regularly season game 49-0.
Because I think Athens is the better team. What would be sweet is if the teams would be able to meet in regional finals
I don’t think that will happen based on where they will be seeded. Either way I think it would be one of the better games in the region.

jottings
SEOPS H

Post by jottings »

I'd like to see Athens vs. Jackson in the regional finals.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Granville just lost to Licking Valley

d-5
SEOPS HOF

Post by d-5 »

Scotties :122249

indianabuck
All State

Post by indianabuck »

I would never rules out DeSales. I know Tri Valley has a good D, but those Catholic schools seem to know how to win after week 10.

The Oaf
SEO

Post by The Oaf »

You're Tiger Bait wrote:just my humble opinion.would love to see a public school system win it though.
Absolutely agree with ya bait, DeSales is always such a force.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

I'll take, not DeSales for $500, Alex. Tri Valley/Athens 1-2, Jackson 3, DeSales 4

lineman7
All Conference

Post by lineman7 »

Athens will most likely get a home game with a win over 7-2 Nelsonville... 64% chance according to Pastuer

The Oaf
SEO

Post by The Oaf »

Pol Pot wrote:I'll take, not DeSales for $500, Alex. Tri Valley/Athens 1-2, Jackson 3, DeSales 4
There is no $500 question Alex but since I delight in arguing with git's like you I'll take "wants to bet on the outcomes of sporting events conducted by minor children for $100" As always, you reek of nonsense. :roll:

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

and the teams that desales lost to were d1 Westerville south, and bishop hartley. desales got beat by Columbus bishop Hartley who ironton would somehow have to beat to get out of their region should they get that far.

not sure which poster said the catholic teams just know how to win past week 10

to that with the utmost respect. THESE TEAMS ARE EXPERTLY AND PRECISELY ''BUILT AND PUT TOETHER'' TO WIN.
i'll leave it at that.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Pol Pot wrote:I'll take, not DeSales for $500, Alex. Tri Valley/Athens 1-2, Jackson 3, DeSales 4
that's funny and I certainly hope you are correct.
but remember ole bait told ya so.

newlex/sheridan
Varsity

Post by newlex/sheridan »

Three horse race between Athens, Tri-Valley, and DeSales. The first two, IMO, are the two best teams in the region, both capable of winning a state title. Both return basically their entire teams in tact from the second round game a year ago in which Athens won it in the last moments 55-52. Tri-Valley's first team defense has given up exactly 7 points in ten games this year. I just hope the seeding falls in a manner that they don't meet until the regional final. I think Desales will finish in the seven slot which will give them the path of least resistance to the regional final assuming TV is #1 and Athens is #4 or #5 as they would play in the second round again.

Return to “Football”