Week #9 Sciotoville (3-5) @ Green (1-6)

Axe N Shield
Varsity

Re: Week #9 Sciotoville (3-5) @ Green (1-6)

Post by Axe N Shield »

:aaaaa128

Tartanblue
SEO

Post by Tartanblue »

Oh where to start with this reply to you axe...lets see here Yes i am admitting that Burg and Ironton are great programs especially compared to East. I am not denying that, a couple reasons for that are they have great traditions at those schools always have and always will another reason for that is also because they have a great deal in leadership to where they keep coaches for a long time that not just build programs but improve on them. You bring up Minford in this scenario and lets be honest this year they are mediocre to sub-par at best.

You want to talk about playoffs and no school is given a playoff spot just because of who they are. They have to earn it every year. East next season has a good chance to make the playoffs, in case you have not noticed which I am sure you havent since I have not seen you at one single game and more than likely you are getting your information second or even third hand East is a young team this year in a lot of positions and will improve next year add to that the talent that these young kids have they will be very dangerous next season...the JV team beat a few good teams as well one being Valley....oh wait when was the last time any East team beat a team from Valley that's right a LONG while. So improvement is coming add to that a junior high program who has nothing but improved along with some very talented youth level kids who will come through the program. The future looks bright for East as long people like yourself dont try to convince them into going somewhere else because of a name on the front if a jersey.

You want to talk about what if Gerald geta hurts during basketball, there is also a bigger chance of him getting hurt his senior year. You also want to bring up what OSU will do if he does get hurt, depending on the injury they could and most like red shirt him or even get him a medical redshirt. That is just like a very good example of this would be Pendleton from West who is playing at MSU, got hurt his senior year and missed a lot of playing action. How are things working out for him....thats right beat OSU last year and could have a chance to play for a national title this year if things fall right for him.

As far as OSU and other schools wanting their student athletes and recruits to focus on that particular sport I can think of a few athletes who were multiple sport athletes in high school as well as college who have done well...Pryor for Ohio State not only played football but basketball as well, so your telling me if he would have gotten hurt the Bucks would have automatically moved away from him. There are even some kids who are duo sport athletes in college like Winston for FSU playing football and baseball. What worse could happen to the defending national champs then having their star quarterback hurt playing another sport and ruining the chance to repeat, oh wait they dont see a problem with it.

Axe N Shield
Varsity

Post by Axe N Shield »

Tartanblue wrote:Oh where to start with this reply to you axe...lets see here Yes i am admitting that Burg and Ironton are great programs especially compared to East. I am not denying that, a couple reasons for that are they have great traditions at those schools always have and always will another reason for that is also because they have a great deal in leadership to where they keep coaches for a long time that not just build programs but improve on them. You bring up Minford in this scenario and lets be honest this year they are mediocre to sub-par at best.

You want to talk about playoffs and no school is given a playoff spot just because of who they are. They have to earn it every year. East next season has a good chance to make the playoffs, in case you have not noticed which I am sure you havent since I have not seen you at one single game and more than likely you are getting your information second or even third hand East is a young team this year in a lot of positions and will improve next year add to that the talent that these young kids have they will be very dangerous next season...the JV team beat a few good teams as well one being Valley....oh wait when was the last time any East team beat a team from Valley that's right a LONG while. So improvement is coming add to that a junior high program who has nothing but improved along with some very talented youth level kids who will come through the program. The future looks bright for East as long people like yourself dont try to convince them into going somewhere else because of a name on the front if a jersey.

You want to talk about what if Gerald geta hurts during basketball, there is also a bigger chance of him getting hurt his senior year. You also want to bring up what OSU will do if he does get hurt, depending on the injury they could and most like red shirt him or even get him a medical redshirt. That is just like a very good example of this would be Pendleton from West who is playing at MSU, got hurt his senior year and missed a lot of playing action. How are things working out for him....thats right beat OSU last year and could have a chance to play for a national title this year if things fall right for him.

As far as OSU and other schools wanting their student athletes and recruits to focus on that particular sport I can think of a few athletes who were multiple sport athletes in high school as well as college who have done well...Pryor for Ohio State not only played football but basketball as well, so your telling me if he would have gotten hurt the Bucks would have automatically moved away from him. There are even some kids who are duo sport athletes in college like Winston for FSU playing football and baseball. What worse could happen to the defending national champs then having their star quarterback hurt playing another sport and ruining the chance to repeat, oh wait they dont see a problem with it.
I think that you might want to compare apple's to apples and not apple's to raisins! Does Mr. Gerald have a double scholarship? And, I know Tyler is a good lineman; but, he certainly is no Pryor or Winston! So, yeah, I would say that they shouldn't play another sport out of fear of injury! Now, will they come out and suggest that in public? Most likely not.. but, let him get injured in a basketball game; whether nobody would want to realize the stark facts about it or not.. you might just blow an opportunity of a lifetime! Look at it this way! He's got a full ride to Ohio State in football.. period; as a high school basketball coach or athletic director; are you even going to pressure or ask a kid to take a chance on screwing up his education and athletic career? I mean come on; the kid is already the size of a NFL lineman and your wanting him to take a chance of screwing his opportunity to play at OSU and maybe have a chance to get a couple of National Championships under his belt! That would be an amazing resume going into a NFL Draft! Why? Take unnecessary risk that has nothing to do with increasing your goal of playing for Ohio State! For basketball? For East? If the guy went to Burg, Minford, Valley or wherever; if I was his parents.. it would be nothing but, football and football related!

Now, I know the argument can be said that; "What about if he wants to play?" Well, that's where his parents, coaches, athletic director and other people in his life should go over his options and have a real heart-to-heart! And, actuality it is ultimately his and his parents decision. He will be forced to make a big adult decision!

Now, playoffs and East! East has made it to the playoffs what...4 or 5 times in the last 40 years! And, that's great and all! But, you say that nobody gets into the playoffs bcause of who they are or bcause of their programs. But, then in the same breath you say that East has a good chance of making it to the playoffs. But, in Division 7 and the second smallest Region! And, that's cool.. everybody can't be the big boys on the block especially in our county when you have 9 schools competing for the talent pool. I promise you most of the other schools in the county will make playoffs; year after year.. before Sciotoville!

Every other school has a better chance of making the playoffs than East! With the exceptions of Green and maybe ND! The rest have a tremendously overwhelming chance of making the playoffs than East does. And, they play up on their non-league games every week and year after year.. greater competition, greater rewards! And, I know East has done this as well on a very limited basis. I have in the past ask the AD to schedule stiffer competition. Answer: Why? So, we can get our brains beat-out! And, I get that! But then complacency sets in and, your program begins to wither on the vine! Look! Todd's a great coach! He is a student of one of the best coaches that ever coached at East.. his father-in-law Darryl Davis! Kelly and Lance.. great assistants! They know what it takes to build a successful program. But, when you don't have the support groups like the championship programs have.. Well, your destined to fail! That's all I'll say about that now!

But, you failed to answer the most important question in my last post! And, I guess I will re-direct and 're-Word the question.

Considering Tyler Gerald future and his athletic scholarship to OSU. Would this young man be better off playing for a Burg, Ironton, Valley, West or Minford? They offer everything and more than East can offer!

Better.. venues, weightrooms, competition, training opportunities, traditions, boosters, playoffs, championships, buildings, rivalries, the draw of bigger crowds! Not to mention an opportunity to smack Portsmouth in the mouth!

So, tell me! Where is this young man going to receive the best bang for his buck? Who can provide him with the best possible tools to prepare for the.. Greatest College football team in the nation? East or most anybody else! Sorry.. But, it's about this young man's future; not Sciotoville' s!

If you can just answer that simple question first.. And then I'll read whatever else you want to put on here! I think my point has been made and I'll defer to you.

socsportsfan1
Freshman Team

Post by socsportsfan1 »

Axe, you're still coming off like the scorned ex-lover. You maintain no objectivity and therefore have no credibility on nearly any topic you talk about. The posters on this forum don't consider you a source of legitimate knowledge, but you are the source of much laughter.

There are so many things wrong with your assessment for Gerald, and notions of football and the East program all together. Deep down, you already know that. Revenge is a hard thing to shake. Besides that, I wouldn't expect much more from someone who lacks loyalty, honesty, and integrity anyway. Your solution offers no trace of any of those qualities. Again, not surprising.

1. OSU must not feel that playing for East will hinder his future. They found him while playing there and still wanted him. Must not have been too huge a concern for them.

2. You suggest that the kid staying only benefits East and not him. Let's teach kids that every decision they make in life is all about them. Let's teach them that a lack of loyalty, and commitment, and selfishness are ok. Wonder why you still can't relate to those qualities? If every kid around took your advise, there would only be a few programs left. No self-sacrifice or dedication to something greater than yourself? I bet you were the ultimate team player...

3. Your notion that the college football coaches don't want their recruits playing other sports is also misguided. Some may be that way, but many want to see how these kids handle and conduct themselves in other team sports. Basketball is an excellent sport for conditioning and agility for football players as well. I far more often hear coaches wanting to know how kids respond to being part of the team in their secondary sport. How do they compete? Are they a leader in that sport as well? Do they commit to their role on the team? Coaches at all levels say time and time again that they want competitors and winners, playing other sports allows them to gauge this.

The Tartans have had a disappointing football season obviously. In high school sports much can change rather quickly. Your notion that East likely won't make the playoffs next season is based off what? You rarely if ever bring facts to the table. I should know that I can't expect a person lacking logic, integrity, or class to speak with any. Go find a bridge to guard somewhere else.

littlestalder
Waterboy

Post by littlestalder »

Axe you have been a big Burg fan for what 4 or 5 years now ? How many players have they had who have verbally committed to OSU ?? Apparently Some one at East is doing something right to get Gerald the publicity he needs to be noticed by the right schools. And as far as East being a dumping hole for bad kids I remember a member of your family causing a lot of problems just a few years ago. Not sure why your no longer coaching at East but you have had nothing but negative things to say about the school since you lost your coaching spot. Maybe you should come watch these boys play before you degrade them with all your negativity.

Tartanblue
SEO

Post by Tartanblue »

First off if you go back and re-read what i said was teams do not get into the playoffs just because of their name or tradition, I also said each team gas to earn a playoff spot each year. Along with also saying that East was relatively young this year in a lot of spots and will only improve next year so yes i could see them making the playoffs.

Secondly you want to talk about going to a school that will help Mr. Gerald get better....Burg nor Ironton would be my first choices. If he would leave like you would like him to do the best decision for him to improve would be to go to the Spire Institute instead of your great school that you call home now.

1987 Viking Alumni
Waterboy

Post by 1987 Viking Alumni »

The one thing that neither East, W-burg, Ironton or any other school can do for Tyler is teach his size. The bottom line is; he is a 6'5" 310lbs. lineman that can move the way he does, that is what college coaches look for. You don't see to many of our Southern Ohio 5"10 200lbs linemen getting big time D1 offers. The coaches at East presented him in film in a positive light, good for them. Last year he received a visit from O coordinator or O line coach from OSU during basketball practice on a snowday. Why would a football coach come to see a lineman at basketball practice, one might ask? At that practice they saw Tyler; run, jump, move laterally, his intensity and other intangibles that might be of interest to a college coach. That same OSU coach came to a basketball game at Clay and sat with Coach Gilliland, were they interested in his basketball skills, no but again they wanted to see him perform in a game setting, see how aggressive he was, did he go after loose balls and did he have some of those intangibles. He may never play a down at OSU but then again, he may. He will be red-shirted his freshmen year, and gradually move his way up the depth chart, so maybe by his junior or senior year he will be ready to perform at the D1 level. That will be in 4-5 years that he would be seeing the field on Saturdays. I feel pretty confident that by that time he will be coached up, beefed up and fine tuned to a level that it wouldn't matter what high school he played at during his senior year. Tyler has a chance to do something that not many in the area have a chance to do, play college sports at a big time university but more importantly he has the opportunity to get a first class post secondary education, maybe play a little ball after high school and put himself in a position to better his life.

Axe N Shield
Varsity

Post by Axe N Shield »

tartanfan87 wrote:Axe you have been a big Burg fan for what 4 or 5 years now ? How many players have they had who have verbally committed to OSU ?? Apparently Some one at East is doing something right to get Gerald the publicity he needs to be noticed by the right schools. And as far as East being a dumping hole for bad kids I remember a member of your family causing a lot of problems just a few years ago. Not sure why your no longer coaching at East but you have had nothing but negative things to say about the school since you lost your coaching spot. Maybe you should come watch these boys play before you degrade them with all your negativity.
As for my family member who caused problems.. he left Sciotoville and excelled in everything that was expected of him; in athletics and academics at Wheelersburg! That's right! When, he made the choice to leave Sciotoville.. school board members, coaches and others said he would never play a down of football or make the cut academically! Even, tried to get him in trouble with OHSAA! Tried to block the kid from playing football at Burg. That's a fact.. we have letters from OHSAA stating that Sciotoville raised concerns about his eligibility to play at Burg. The AD even made calls to his new school regarding his living situation! Every attempt that they made to keep him from succeeding was made by Sciotoville! Board members begged me to try and convince him to stay at Sciotoville.. but, the truth to the matter was; I knew that he would have better opportunities mainly for academics and sports at Burg! And, I was not going to misguide him and lie to him that he would be better off at Sciotoville!

Now, here is another fact.. he started his sophomore year in his first game at Burg and started every game till graduation! Graduated with a better GPA from the Burg than he ever was able to achieve at Sciotoville Schools! Despite what the leaders, staff, coaches and board members of Sciotoville believed.

As for my coaching spot at Sciotoville.. never lost it! I was a volunteer coach and expressed that I never wanted to receive compensation for coaching those kids! I always felt that the program certainly needed more than anything. But, nobody put in more time with that program than Wendell Skinner! And, he was the least appreciated and never asked for anything in return. I left East the year after Larry Hall was coach! Stacey Bond was coach for 1 year after Hall and Sciotoville let him go because they wanted Todd; who was a teacher at East to have the job. Todd was entertaining other jobs at schools in the area at the time. Heck, his kids don't even go to East.. And, I don't blame him! I think they go to Burg!

The high school AD will be coaching the Pee Wee little ones next year. Why? His son will be playing then! Even though the coach who is there now is undefeated this year! Now, you tell me why? The coach there now would like to continue; he's not moving up or anything in coaching! Hope funds from the high school athletic department don't funnel down! That certainly wouldn't be honest or have a shred of integrity!

And, one last thing.. somebody wants to question my integrity, loyalty and honesty! How about this.. I, myself.. not Bill Shope or anybody else in the Community School fought for Rose St. Park! I spent 5 years fighting with Portsmouth city council to get them to clean-up Rose St. Park! To stop the city from using it as a staging ground for overflowing dumpsters, to clean-up the needles and graffiti, to stop the vandalism! Me.. not any of you who question my loyalty or integrity! It was me.. not you or the so called self-proclaimed pillars of this community who got the city of Portsmouth to provide over $40,000 of grants and funds to turn it into what it is today! With a lot of help from Jane Murray and Rebecca Steele who was the grant writer for Portsmouth City. With that money's Mullins Construction turned it in to what it is today! Why did I do it? To get Little League Baseball back in Sciotoville! Do we have youth league baseball in Sciotoville? No! Why? Well, you need to ask Bill Shope.. he has taken the park over and I think the School owns it now! I think the School contributed a few thousand dollars to the $40,000+ that I and city officials had arraigned to get! And, they should.. their a community school! But, the school can sure lease that park out every year for out of state travel league ball!

Now, you tell me who's got integrity, honesty and loyalty! You tell me.. why there is not Little League/Babe Ruth League baseball in Sciotoville? Or, why we lost our Little League Charter in the first place! I know! It wasn't because of that good old integrity and honesty; that's for sure!

Integrity? Honesty? Loyalty? Commitment? Class? Let me tell you something.. that's certainly not running rampant in Sciotoville Schools!

EastBeast06
JV Team

Post by EastBeast06 »

Final score East 57 Green 6. 2nd half was a running clock

BlindWhiteHat
SEOP

Post by BlindWhiteHat »

A thread that is supposed to be about East vs Green and it ends up with posts about former players, former coaches, Rose Street Park and pee week football coaches. I remember when this site used to be entertaining because people actually exchanged ideas and opinions about the games.

Axe N Shield
Varsity

Post by Axe N Shield »

BlindWhiteHat wrote:A thread that is supposed to be about East vs Green and it ends up with posts about former players, former coaches, Rose Street Park and pee week football coaches. I remember when this site used to be entertaining because people actually exchanged ideas and opinions about the games.
Thanks Tartanblue for starting the argument and getting off topic! ;-)
No more smart a-- attacks then no more comments!

Return to “Football”