(Week 9) Gallipolis (4-4) at Logan (3-5)

loganlocos
SEOP

Re: (Week 9) Gallipolis (4-4) at Logan (3-5)

Post by loganlocos »

Logan has a great chance to finish 5-5 if they take care of business the next couple of weeks. Logan ran into a nightmare match-up last week against Zanesville - strength vs. strength - and couldn't make enough plays to win.

Gallipolis has been a team with a small margin for error thanks to the low numbers. When healthy they are good enough to compete in the SEOAL, but they don't seem to have been healthy since the start of the Athens game.

Logan will hopefully get a couple linemen back full go on Friday. The two tackles were in uniform and played some against Zanesville, but both were definitely limited.

I think Logan's balance on offense will be the difference in this one.

jottings
SEOPS H

Post by jottings »

Thanks, Locos.

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Post by dazed&confused »

I think Logan wins out and goes 5-5. That's about where I thought they would be at the beginning of the year. That's about where they will be going forward when taking into account the records of the underclasses.

superblue
All Conference

Post by superblue »

BLUE84n82 wrote:Proud of the things the Blue kids are trying to accomplish. With all this support from former players and so called fans, why we should be undefeated! Tired of all the negativity, why don't you naysayers just stay home or do something else with your time. This team is down on numbers, down on talent, and down on support. But, has more heart than several of the Blue Devil teams of the past few years. Good luck Blue, play hard! Go BLUE!
So you are tired of all the negativity? I am sure the team appreciates your "down on talent" comment......LOL..... or was that just a realistic comment?

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

Jottings -

Can you or anyone else tell me who wears #59 for the Blue Devils? Looks like he plays guard.

My best guess is Brett Hively since he is listed as an O-Lineman but wears #81 on the roster.

BLUE84n82
Riding the Bench

Post by BLUE84n82 »

Superblue... I see your point, I apologize for my poor choice of words. I just get frustrated with some of the things I read and hear then I say something stupid.

kvnchambers
Varsity

Post by kvnchambers »

yes it is hively he has been 81 his freshmen and sophomore years. he was moved there i think either night o jamboree game or on Thursday night before Athens game. it is a shame they have needed his help on the line. with jarrell most out all season he would of been some nice height to go with our other receivers who are probably 5'5" or 5'6". great kid and a good example of putting team needs before personal ego.

jottings
SEOPS H

Post by jottings »

For anyone's info, GAHS junior QB Kole Carter has rushed for 457 yards in 137 attempts (4.3) and scored 4 TDs. He has completed 44 of 84 passes for 589 yards and 5 TDs. That's 1046 total yards in 221 plays and nine TDs. Not bad for an individual who has been pressured in eight games this fall.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

kvnchambers wrote:yes it is hively he has been 81 his freshmen and sophomore years. he was moved there i think either night o jamboree game or on Thursday night before Athens game. it is a shame they have needed his help on the line. with jarrell most out all season he would of been some nice height to go with our other receivers who are probably 5'5" or 5'6". great kid and a good example of putting team needs before personal ego.
Thanks.

My roster still had him as 81, but looking at the roster he was the only guy who made sense to have moved there. Thanks for confirmation.

superblue
All Conference

Post by superblue »

BLUE84n82 wrote:Superblue... I see your point, I apologize for my poor choice of words. I just get frustrated with some of the things I read and hear then I say something stupid.
No need to apologize Blue, maybe we are down on talent, but on the other side we had enough talent to win 4 games!!!!! At the start of the season some people were predicting from 2 to 0 wins for us... The coaching staff should be applauded for there success. Our players have always given 100% . What else can you ask from your team???? You cant make the playoffs or win the league title every year!! Underclassmen just need to work hard over the off season and make improvements for next season....

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

superblue wrote: No need to apologize Blue, maybe we are down on talent, but on the other side we had enough talent to win 4 games!!!!! At the start of the season some people were predicting from 2 to 0 wins for us... The coaching staff should be applauded for there success. Our players have always given 100% . What else can you ask from your team???? You cant make the playoffs or win the league title every year!! Underclassmen just need to work hard over the off season and make improvements for next season....
Blue have done a nice job this year. A very nice job.

Before the season I wrote in my SEOAL football preview for the Logan Daily News that GAHS's first dozen football players looked like Gallipolis football players - the problem was the drop off after that dozen. I predicted that as long as the team stayed healthy they could have a lot of success. Obviously they didn't stay healthy, but I think a few players past the first dozen have also developed quickly to move into important roles.

Chances are most teams in our area were going to lose to Athens, Point Pleasant, and Belfry regardless of coaching changes or talent. Marietta is probably a game the Blue Devils would like back, but again, most teams have a game or two on their schedule they feel they should/could have won.

Gallipolis IS 2-0 in the SEOAL and control their own destiny in regard to winning the title. Can't ask for much more. Beating Logan and especially Jackson will be tough, but wining a title is never easy.

Credit Coach Riffe and staff. Lots of juniors in the line-up too.

doubleplay643
S

Post by doubleplay643 »

If Gallia figures out a way to win at Logan this week, I for one would not be too excited about traveling to the "swamp at Memorial lol" in Week 10 and facing the Blue Devils on their turf with their officials lol (it is a joke everyone relax lol) in a SEOAL title match.

Good luck to both squads this week and safe travels to everyone making the trek to Logan.

superblue
All Conference

Post by superblue »

doubleplay643 wrote:If Gallia figures out a way to win at Logan this week, I for one would not be too excited about traveling to the "swamp at Memorial lol" in Week 10 and facing the Blue Devils on their turf with their officials lol (it is a joke everyone relax lol) in a SEOAL title match.

Good luck to both squads this week and safe travels to everyone making the trek to Logan.
First we need to beat Logan, that will be a hard task to do.... But if we could somehow pull out the victory at Logan a win at Memorial could be possible. I have talked to my friends in Athens and we are working on a deal to get the fog machine for the Jackson Game.... We are also planning to have GAHS alumni officials work the game... They said it would be no charge for the game..... LOL.....

6&10
Waterboy

Post by 6&10 »

Just wanted to say thanks for the ones standing up and backing our Blue Devils....I know you don't see many moms on here, but we lurk!! So thank you to the ones who haven't counted us out yet. Yes, it has been a tough year with numbers, injures, etc....but just give us a few years. And I would gladly give a donation to the alumni officals for our jackson game if one is needed! LOL!!!!

kvnchambers
Varsity

Post by kvnchambers »

it would be nice to have the last 2 games at home. but if we had to play one on the road. i would prefer it to logan. I think this will about are first real test of the season to see where this team really stands. Athens point pleasant and belfry were all games with no real shot at. portsmouth, fairland, chesapeake, and warren were not there best when we played them. now we get our shot at a team that is a little more talented then us. a little bigger a little faster now lets see if we can hang with them if we can i will be impressed. Gallia needs to dominate special teams. and win the defensive battle and turnover battle do that and we should have a game in the 4th quarter.

And as far as jackson game goes if it is for the league title outright i hear the fire department is going to conduct firefighting on drills on field all week to make sure the swamp lives up to its name. For the team we have this year i think just the field may be a two score advantage to us at home. really slows fast teams down and power teams not getting a good push. teams we have had last few years field was not as big advantage as we were stronger and faster then a lot of our opponents.

Blackjack
JV Team

Post by Blackjack »

KVN - was at the Portsmouth game and noticed the field had a strong odor of a sewer. Is that safe for the kids?

OVCFan2
Freshman Team

Post by OVCFan2 »

Dazed&Confused,
Could you explain why you think Logan will continue to be a 5- 5 program moving forward? You said based on the under classes, and I would like to disagree. Logan's freshman went 5-3 as Eighth graders... not quite sure their record this year.. The current 8th grade went 4-3-1, and the 7th grade went 5-3. How does that equate to 5-5 moving forward, with a much softer schedule the next couple of years. Next year will be year 3 of the Burke era, and I have a feeling that not only will next years squad be a possible playoff team( softer schedule), but that the following years we will continue to see logan improve.

local superstar
All State

Post by local superstar »

One thing for sure. You cant judge how a future team is going to be based on what they did in middle school.Some grow, some don't, some quit,parents move,some transfer to or from schools. Too many factors.

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

local superstar wrote:One thing for sure. You cant judge how a future team is going to be based on what they did in middle school.Some grow, some don't, some quit,parents move,some transfer to or from schools. Too many factors.
I Agree exactly superstar, some kids mature slower than some, and get better as they get older and then jell together at the varsity level. I never did base the future on under classes with losing records. Things can change quickly by the time they reach the varsity level.

C-Bolt
SEOP

Post by C-Bolt »

It happens, but is not the norm imo,recent years Logan's classes have reflected their lower class achievements as far as I could tell.The key is to have a good class or two sandwiching some underachieving ones at the varsity level.I agree next year should be pretty good considering the Junior class's records coming up and thats IF they stay healthy, but after that could be experiencing some more lean years,this years reserves and freshman are struggling real bad! I also agree the schedule is way more forgiving then it has been in recent years with the exception of Desales, so that should help!
Last edited by C-Bolt on Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Football”