Will pay to participate kill high school sports?

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Will pay to participate kill high school sports?

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

Let's hear your thoughts on this.

pappy1
Varsity

Re: Will pay to participate kill high school sports?

Post by pappy1 »

Our economy is still not doing well. Wages are stagnant at best. Parents laying out $ for a student to set the bench will become the exception to the rule and probably will keep some starters off the roster. An improving economy would help that situation.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

probably see the smaller sport being done away with and this might add more kids to other sport at first. Just might see some changes in how to sponsor sport numbers.

The rich just might be the only kid playing if changes are not made. Will have a lot of sand lot teams better than high school teams

fortdawg
All Conference

Post by fortdawg »

Pay to play can't help but I don't know of a program that folded football because of it. In fact when was the last time a program folded? My biggest fear is the way some of our smaller schools keep losing enrollment----there won't be the numbers to sustain a program-----several of our league schools have seen a nearly 50% drop in the last 10 to 20 years. If the winning tradition is there (Bealsville) you can keep going with graduating classes in the 30's or less but at some point......

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

Fortdawg wrote:Pay to play can't help but I don't know of a program that folded football because of it. In fact when was the last time a program folded? My biggest fear is the way some of our smaller schools keep losing enrollment----there won't be the numbers to sustain a program-----several of our league schools have seen a nearly 50% drop in the last 10 to 20 years. If the winning tradition is there (Bealsville) you can keep going with graduating classes in the 30's or less but at some point......

Within the next 10 years the dreaded C word (consolidation) will come into play.

I think at some point the state needs to look at having 1school district per County and then the county districts deciding how many and where to have their schools.

fortdawg
All Conference

Post by fortdawg »

I agree Orange and Brown----I have lived through that and people always say it can't happen----and then it does.

zebra77
Varsity

Post by zebra77 »

I concur with pappy1, the state of the economy will be detrimental to high school sports if it goes to pay to play.
But, there is always a way to raise funds, just have to be innovative.

moonshine
SEO

Post by moonshine »

It has already started advertising on fields and uniforms will help but like I have said b-4 CONSOLIDATATION will help solve a big part of the problem. Also if your school has a active booster clubs that also a big help!

I bet most school get a discount on there equipment if they display there logo!
Last edited by moonshine on Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

unless this has happened at ironton, and I don't think it has. I hope to see that this is never the case in fighting tiger town.and think schools make plenty enough to cover these costs off of athletics.

local superstar
All State

Post by local superstar »

Bad idea all the way around.

noles_fan
S

Post by noles_fan »

It will not kill high school sports. However it will drastically effect sports, especially in this part of the state. It would give a huge advantage to private schools in the bigger cities in the state.

sportsfan
JV Team

Post by sportsfan »

Terrible idea. Sports helps kids stay out of trouble. When BOE go to pay to play it is all for show, to show the public how bad they need money. Stop silly spending and watch the administration with all the money they waste. Pay to play will cause nothing but trouble. In Monroe county they have play to play and each sport has to pay for their own busses or get the athletes to the game themselves. An accident waiting to happen!

kvnchambers
Varsity

Post by kvnchambers »

has someone new went to pay to play this year? Gallia academy has had it for years. $90.00 a sport per year. when you have more then 1 kid active and kids that play many sports this gets expensive. Because this is without cleats or shoes or other things. I am not positive about this next statement but i think it is true that in between the athletic fee, gate revenue and the boosters the athletics at gallia academy are totally self supported.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

Those currently running the schools are to blame for this.
If possible its time to get rid of them all.

toast
All State

Post by toast »

Pay to play is a terrible idea. Those with the least resources will suffer the most.

The politicians of this state are to blame and one party in particular. They have never addressed the inequalities in the funding of our public schools. They've used every strategy imaginable to get around actually dealing with the problem. It's down right shameful!

robycop3
All State

Post by robycop3 »

PTP is a slap in the face to students whose families are not overly-wealthy thru no fault of their own. Sports are often the ONLY motivation for many students to both stay in school and keep their marks up.

We would not have seen the Selmon bros. on a gridiron had PTP been in effect in their home area.

PTP cannot replace PROPER school admin. and resource management.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

What are the rules on PTP?

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

noreply66 wrote:What are the rules on PTP?

The rules are completely upto the school district so they very from district to district.

fortdawg
All Conference

Post by fortdawg »

Will we see Bo Peeps Gentleman's Club on the backs of our baseball players?

chiefs
Varsity

Post by chiefs »

Fortdawg wrote:Will we see Bo Peeps Gentleman's Club on the backs of our baseball players?
I wonder what would look like on a camo-themed jersey.

Return to “Football”