2014 Rule Changes

4thgoal
SEOPS

2014 Rule Changes

Post by 4thgoal »

New for this year, there will be a targeting rule “Targeting is an act of taking aim and initiating contact to an opponent above the shoulders with the helmet, forearm, hand, fist, elbow or shoulders.” Also, a defenseless player is defined as “a player who, because of his physical position and focus of concentration, is especially vulnerable to injury.”

Other rule changes include: players on a kicking team may only be 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage, there must be 4 players on each side of the ball when kicking off, and accidental touching of a loose ball by a player who is blocked into the ball will be ignored.

What do you think about these rule changes?

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Re: 2014 Rule Changes

Post by Orange and Brown »

Their will be a lot of unhappy fans this year. Coaches better take some extra time and emphasize fundamentals when it comes to tackling.

fortdawg
All Conference

Post by fortdawg »

1, Good
2, Good
3, I don't like that one--if a kid can block another into the ball---that's just being "Heads Up"---I don't see anything dirty or dangerous there.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

Orange and Brown wrote:Their will be a lot of unhappy fans this year. Coaches better take some extra time and emphasize fundamentals when it comes to tackling.
I agree....it will be tough to make sure everyone understands this.....officials included!

The Broker
Riding the Bench

Post by The Broker »

4th n Goal wrote:
Orange and Brown wrote:Their will be a lot of unhappy fans this year. Coaches better take some extra time and emphasize fundamentals when it comes to tackling.
I agree....it will be tough to make sure everyone understands this.....officials included!
I agree with the part about officials. By and large they are bad in all sports. I started taking the class for umpiring, but quit going once I realized I know a lot more than the person teaching the class. Watching through the window the past few years I have seen some of the worst umpires since my first few years coaching the Jay Vee team. And that was a lot of years ago.

doubleplay643
S

Post by doubleplay643 »

I am fine with targeting, and no issue with the 5yds on kick-off and 4-players each side of ball.

But here we go with interpretation and/or judgement by an official to determine in the heat of a kick and ensuing coverage if a receiving team player is "accidentally" pushed into the loose ball. Really people, we want the officials to determine "accidental" now in addition to everything else they are watching. Please, give me a break. If the opposing team touches the loose ball it is game-on no matter if it is "accidental" or not. In my opinion that is a dumb rule subject to way too much judgment by an official.

eagledad
Freshman Team

Post by eagledad »

please keep in mind that "targeting" and "defenseless player" are merely new definitions. the penalty is the same as it has always been. 15 yards for what used to be "unnecessary roughness" or "illegal helmet contact" is still 15 yards today, it's just called something new. at least this way it's more similar to the college and pro rules. as far as judgement and interpretation goes, there always has and always will be a human element to officiating. what is an obvious foul to one official may not be a foul to another. the idea is to get as officials to be as consistent as possible in calling those fouls and to be 100% accurate in the enforcement of the prescribed penalty for that foul. i would also add, if you feel officiating in all sports is bad, pick one of them and take the class. put the stripes on for yourself.

Regulator
All Conference

Post by Regulator »

The Broker wrote:
4th n Goal wrote:
I agree with the part about officials. By and large they are bad in all sports. I started taking the class for umpiring, but quit going once I realized I know a lot more than the person teaching the class. Watching through the window the past few years I have seen some of the worst umpires since my first few years coaching the Jay Vee team. And that was a lot of years ago.
That's a great attitude!! Maybe your know it all attitude is wrong. Maybe the instructor was actually teaching the correct way!

People Like you make me sick!! Complain, Complain, Complain!! No solutions!!

osu 77
All State

Post by osu 77 »

doubleplay643 wrote:I am fine with targeting, and no issue with the 5yds on kick-off and 4-players each side of ball.

But here we go with interpretation and/or judgement by an official to determine in the heat of a kick and ensuing coverage if a receiving team player is "accidentally" pushed into the loose ball. Really people, we want the officials to determine "accidental" now in addition to everything else they are watching. Please, give me a break. If the opposing team touches the loose ball it is game-on no matter if it is "accidental" or not. In my opinion that is a dumb rule subject to way too much judgment by an official.
I agree asking an offical to determine if it is accidental is crazy. Every Coach teaches the kids to get away from a loose ball.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

The Broker wrote:
4th n Goal wrote:
If you are so much better why didn't you get your lisences, and start making a difference instead of being a blow hard on the Internet?

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

Not only have I met an official who could determine intent, they can read a players mind! lol QB is flushed out of the pocket and before he gets hit throws the ball to a player on the sideline. The player reaches up and the ball is tipped out of bounds, incomplete and the head ref throws his flag. Everyone on the sideline thought it was a late hit, nope intentional grounding! The refs explanation, he knew the QB was getting rid of it and was just lucky it went near another player! LOL

fortdawg
All Conference

Post by fortdawg »

Did the coaches bobber go under? hahaahah

Wings Teaford
Freshman Team

Post by Wings Teaford »

Are they still gonna allow Trimbles linemen to hold like they always do?

Return to “Football”