Athens Bulldogs 2014

A-Town Big Dog
S

Re: Athens Bulldogs 2014

Post by A-Town Big Dog »

falcon01 wrote:I may have missed this, but who is Athens scrimmaging?
7-12. H Athens 7 vs 7
7-21. @ Bloom Carroll 7 vs 7
7-25. @ Capital 7 vs 7
8-16. @ Ripley, WV-Scrimmage
8-22. H Trimble-Jamboree

A-Town Big Dog
S

Post by A-Town Big Dog »

Athens looked pretty decent in today's 7 on 7 opener. 9 teams in all, the dogs played 6 of the 8.
Athens 5 Miami Trace 2
Athens 4 Bloom Carroll 0
Athens 6 Stebbins 0
Athens 2 Sheridan 2
Athens 2 Trimble 2
Athens 5 Alexander 1
Others in attendance were Southern and Belpre.

Eaglepapaw
S

Post by Eaglepapaw »

Belpre also went 4-0-1 winning against Bloom Carroll,Southern,Alexander and Stebbins and tying against Trimble 2-2.Watched a little of Athens games and they looked very good.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Looks like Sheridan will be better than last year..also Trimble

A-Town Big Dog
S

Post by A-Town Big Dog »

noreply66 wrote:Looks like Sheridan will be better than last year..also Trimble
Sheridan looked every bit as good as Athens, they had several very good looking athletes that being said it is only the first 7 on 7 of the year and we can't get a complete picture of things until after a real scrimmage or two. As far as Trimble goes, I've been saying all along that they aren't going to fall off as bad as some people think, they still have Downs who is one of the best receivers in the area in any division, the Jenkins kid in the backfield was darn good last year and looks like he could be even better this season, Losey the heir apparent at QB looks to me to be a pretty good athlete, maybe not quite Konner Standley running but he may throw a better ball. The Trimble defense will still be solid, 2013 dominant.... I'm not sure is achievable but they could still be excellent. Trimble was the only team of the six Athens faced all day that huddled which shortened the series between the two considerably in comparison.

athens78
All State

Post by athens78 »

Phil Faires is the best coach in the TVC both division. I know Adams has done well but with a lot more talent and bigger pool. Over the years Phil is the master. Good luck to both schools as they will both be successful again this year.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

athens78 wrote:Phil Faires is the best coach in the TVC both division. I know Adams has done well but with a lot more talent and bigger pool. Over the years Phil is the master. Good luck to both schools as they will both be successful again this year.
I would never argue with Phil being the best - the guy is one of my all-time favorite coaches for all sports.

But Adams is still fairly young, he has time to add to his resume.

And one last thing, this so called talent and bigger pool - where the hell was it from 1980-2009? Outside of a few good years (i.e. 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003) Athens football was the LAUGHING STOCK of southeastern Ohio. Adams (and his assistant coaches) deserve a lot of credit for rebuilding a program, which TONS of other coaches could not do at Athens.

Ny92
Freshman Team

Post by Ny92 »

Winning some games also helped rebuild Athens. Getting into the tvc getting some wins helped breed excitement. The Athens staff is a very good staff though. They are way ahead of most coaches in the area. Phil gets more out of what he has then most coaches for sure.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

Another thing to consider is that the youth program in Athens wasn't very good for a while and when it turned around the program startedccoming around. The youth Football association deserve some credit as well. I feel like most people overlook it when they talk about the recent success of Athens football.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

A-Town Big Dog 2 wrote:
noreply66 wrote:Looks like Sheridan will be better than last year..also Trimble
Sheridan looked every bit as good as Athens, they had several very good looking athletes that being said it is only the first 7 on 7 of the year and we can't get a complete picture of things until after a real scrimmage or two. As far as Trimble goes, I've been saying all along that they aren't going to fall off as bad as some people think, they still have Downs who is one of the best receivers in the area in any division, the Jenkins kid in the backfield was darn good last year and looks like he could be even better this season, Losey the heir apparent at QB looks to me to be a pretty good athlete, maybe not quite Konner Standley running but he may throw a better ball. The Trimble defense will still be solid, 2013 dominant.... I'm not sure is achievable but they could still be excellent. Trimble was the only team of the six Athens faced all day that huddled which shortened the series between the two considerably in comparison.
Sheridan has never been a passing team that I can remember. Also They were not very good last season,as Sheridan Teams go. Most of the time Sheridan will beat you up on defense.

zbd
Freshman Team

Post by zbd »

Athens only has Two scrimmages? If so why are they having a Jambree with Trimble?

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

zbd wrote:Athens only has Two scrimmages? If so why are they having a Jambree with Trimble?
Because they wanna use it as a Jamboree game...........

moonshine
SEO

Post by moonshine »

Orange and Brown wrote:
zbd wrote:Athens only has Two scrimmages? If so why are they having a Jambree with Trimble?
Because they wanna use it as a Jamboree game...........
Don't mess with the devils from Z-Town, they will beat you like a drum!

A-Town Big Dog
S

Post by A-Town Big Dog »

We have done this with the Cats for several years now for several reasons including but not limited to close travel, quality competition (coming off a state final appearance), not a regular season opponent, etc... Not to mention the huge crowd that flocked to The Plains to see two of the better teams in the state (the only chance some fans had to see the other until the playoffs). Also the Trimble kids tend to get really up for the challenge and anyone who plays a Trimble team will tell you that their kids hit as hard as anyone which helps our kids get in the hitting frame of mind.

questionmark
All Conference

Post by questionmark »

93Bulldog wrote:
athens78 wrote:Phil Faires is the best coach in the TVC both division. I know Adams has done well but with a lot more talent and bigger pool. Over the years Phil is the master. Good luck to both schools as they will both be successful again this year.
I would never argue with Phil being the best - the guy is one of my all-time favorite coaches for all sports.

But Adams is still fairly young, he has time to add to his resume.

And one last thing, this so called talent and bigger pool - where the hell was it from 1980-2009? Outside of a few good years (i.e. 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003) Athens football was the LAUGHING STOCK of southeastern Ohio. Adams (and his assistant coaches) deserve a lot of credit for rebuilding a program, which TONS of other coaches could not do at Athens.
93--
(1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013)
All these numbers here a one common person linked to them...Ryan Adams.

He played on the last SEOAL League Championship Bulldog Squad and also in 2002-2003 he was on the coaching staff that was responsible for the first process of rebuilding a program, that had to wipe 12 years of misery away. Ryan Adams doesn't get the credit he deserves when it comes to x's and o's. He was one of the best defensive coordinator's I have ever played for. Not to mention his playing resume is pretty stout to boot...

Again to reiterate 93's thoughts, Faires is an amazing coach. He has been great working with his talent as Adams has his...

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Phil does more with less.............

Adams and the Bulldogs have rebuilt and laughing stock of a program and deserve tons of credit for that. As of now he is the best coach Athens has ever had...........

How about we say they are 1a and 1b?

Now go win a state title Dogs! I wanna see Palicrap eat some more Crow!

fortdawg
All Conference

Post by fortdawg »

Phil is a great coach and not just in football: His baseball team is tough every year; When he was the wrestling coach he put a kid in the State meet; He was on the bench as an Asst. when the Girls made some trips to the Regional. But---he took over a storied program--Culver, Bolen, and Holbert left him in good shape.

I've seen 3 coaches take a struggling program and put it on top for any length of time--O'Rouke at V.C., Arno at Alex, and Adams at Athens.

I don't see the, "Does more with less"--Division VII's cutoff is 111 and Trimble has 110 boys---Division III's is 402 and Athens has 297. If you are talking head to head you are right---If we are looking at the playoffs I respectfully disagree.

questionmark
All Conference

Post by questionmark »

Orange and Brown wrote:Adams and the Bulldogs have rebuilt and laughing stock of a program and deserve tons of credit for that. As of now he is the best coach Athens has ever had...........
Don Eskey is most likely the best Football Coach Athens has ever had...Adams is on his way, but do not forget that before the 1990's, Athens was right there in the thick of things with the SEOAL counterparts and the reason was Don Eskey...

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

I'm confident none of the three coaches I played for in three years would be in the top 5 ... Gasser may be in the top 10 though.

:)

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

questionmark wrote:
Orange and Brown wrote:Adams and the Bulldogs have rebuilt and laughing stock of a program and deserve tons of credit for that. As of now he is the best coach Athens has ever had...........
Don Eskey is most likely the best Football Coach Athens has ever had...Adams is on his way, but do not forget that before the 1990's, Athens was right there in the thick of things with the SEOAL counterparts and the reason was Don Eskey...

I dont even recall Athens making the playoffs before 1990.

Maybe I don't know the history,but other than winning league titles,what did they acomplish before Adama started coaching?

Return to “Football”