Logan Chieftains 2014

loganlocos
SEOP

Re: Logan Chieftains 2014

Post by loganlocos »

javagt -

I agree.

As far as I know, those ARE the current divisions. Worthington Christian stands out to me as a team that would need to move down - especially in football. Their basketball program is really strong, however.

I'm not sure what to make of Amanda - obviously, like Nelsonville-York, they've played "above" their enrollment for quite some time and still compete okay in the Buckeye Division.

Do the Aces want OUT of the Buckeye Division? Do the other Buckeye teams want to lose the Aces as a "rival"? I donkt know. I'm an outsider when it comes to the MSL.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

Amanda and Logan Elm are long-term rivals so that's a non starter. The bigger Fairfield County MSL schools - Carroll, Amanda, LU and Fairfield - have wanted to be together for awhile and I don't see that changing.

SE Ohio
Freshman Team

Post by SE Ohio »

the MSL is probably the best fit for Logan (478), put them if a division with Hamilton Township (403), Teays Valley (498), Whitehall (346) etc.. it's too bad Canal Winchester (401) jumped to the OCC. Logan Elm (285), Fairfield Union (274), Circleville (240) and Amanda (221) are too small IMO, but put enough bigger MSL schools together and I think that could work.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

Would need to find at least two larger schools to go a six-team big division. Best combination would be 6 teams each in Buckeye and new Grande Division and 7 or 8 each in other two divisions - Ohio and Cardinal.

ChieftainGrad135
Riding the Bench

Post by ChieftainGrad135 »

Does anyone know when the application goes before the MSL for a vote? I read in the Logan Daily that the MSL requested further information from Logan after their initial application. Does anyone know what type of information that would be?

moonshine
SEO

Post by moonshine »

Soon!

OICU812
Varsity

Post by OICU812 »

Heard from a source today: MSL denies Logan's application!

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

A number of thoughts -- the SEOAL is still viable while the league tires to work thru scheduling problems. Non league games make it tough but not impossible to schedule that covers a two year period at a time ( home & home ). And there are still potential to expand with other teams ( Marietta, Parker. South,......... Athens :lol: :lol: :lol: and others). And if the league wanted to be hard nosed, they could for a while play home and home EACH season, giving the league 6 games each leaving only 4 non-league teams to schedule early. That has been done before in similar situations. And it creates tremendous competition to play each team home and away during the season.

The fat lady hasn't sung yet. The SEOAL is still standing and has a few years to work something out.

chiefs
Varsity

Post by chiefs »

LoganLocos wrote:
noreply66 wrote:
moonshine wrote:Will the MSL come calling since the rest of the SEOAL is just nosing around!
If these teams are still in the MSL they could put Logan with...will need to make changes in the three divisions

Hamilton Township
Teays Valley
Circleville
Logan Elm
Bexley
Whitehall-Yearling
Fairfield Union

I would say all of these schools will grow unlike the southeastern schools making Logan a nice fit. Out of those school I think Circlrville is the smallest. Two of these schools are in Logan's back yard. This would even be better than joining a super conference of the TVC.
Bexley is definitely not growing. Bexley is one of the top 100 public schools in the USA and a big part of that is their STRICT boundaries. That school has NO interest in growing and does not accept open enrollment.

Bexley, Upper Arlington, and Grandview are the "Elite" public schools in Central Ohio and tightly control their student population.

I'm not sure how MSL Administrators are viewing divisions if they want Logan. I assume Liberty Union moves to the OHIO division and Logan takes their spot. But the league currently has 22 schools (including Worthington Christian who adds Varsity football this year).

I also assume Worthington Christian moves once they add football. That would give the league 8-8-7 break down in their three divisions. Could someone else be on the move OUT or IN? That I'm not sure of.

I know Fisher has been struggling with numbers in football, but I don't think they're looking at dropping it.
Fisher is on the rebound, I'm told if everything goes as planned they'll have numbers in the 40's for this coming season, which is big.

I don't see the Buckeye changing much, if one school were to leave it would be AC or LU. If the MSL were to completely re-do it's alignment, I know there's people that would want AC, BC, BU, FC, FU, LU, and a few others in a conference, similar to the alignment in the 70's and 80's.

C-Bolt
SEOP

Post by C-Bolt »

Chieftain2009 wrote:Heard from a source today: MSL denies Logan's application!
In the article it mentioned they informed Logan they don't want to add any teams for a couple years,and would keep them in mind for future expansion.I keep hearing all this talk about Marietta showing interest in returning, but I find it strange the local paper has not mentioned one word about it.They could go for a little while with 4 teams, but if one of them leaves the fat lady will plug in the microphone.I think Logan will eventually will be accepted if they can just wait it out.

moonshine
SEO

Post by moonshine »

C-Bolt wrote:
Chieftain2009 wrote:Heard from a source today: MSL denies Logan's application!
In the article it mentioned they informed Logan they don't want to add any teams for a couple years,and would keep them in mind for future expansion.I keep hearing all this talk about Marietta showing interest in returning, but I find it strange the local paper has not mentioned one word about it.They could go for a little while with 4 teams, but if one of them leaves the fat lady will plug in the microphone.I think Logan will eventually will be accepted if they can just wait it out.
My sources are telling me that the MSL will look at the possible expansion over the next 2-3 years If we can hold on good things will be coming the Chiefs way!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

C-Bolt wrote:

… C-Bolt when the Marietta basketball team played here in Logan for the D2 sectional I spoke with the varsity basketball coach - HE more than wants to be back in the SEOAL … mentioned that with a new FB coach this next year he will be pushing the administration back towards the SEOAL … hope it's true imo Marietta is a good fit for the league in ALL sports not just football … as far as the MSL goes when discussion about this a few years ago came up didn't the MSL say the same thing "they didn't want to add any teams for a couple of years" ? it's been a couple of years … I thought I heard something about the last time Logan courted the MSL that it was almost a done deal but someone from Logan failed to attend a key meeting with MSL schools - I'll have to check that again but I believe that was the case …

C-Bolt
SEOP

Post by C-Bolt »

So if that is true Floyd, Logan probably peed them off and will never get in there either,nice :roll:

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

I'll give you an honest appraisal -- the OCC is too big ( and doesn't want to travel to Logan) and the MSL is hesitant to take a Logan because of the competition the Chiefs would bring. Logan would be viewed as a top dog in the league and has played or scrimmaged many of those for years over several decades. HT didn't do well on the gridiron vs. Logan, Circleville played some games but got murdered and only recently went to scrimmage Logan where they still take a beating, FU isn't competitive, Whitehall isn't very good and teams like LE and TV have only recently grown in size never having been big enough to play Logan. Bexley has a playing record with Logan but it goes back to the 1960's . None of those teams would stack up against Lancaster, Westerville South, Gahanna, Newark, Zanesville or Brookhaven whom the Chiefs have played from the OCC or City League among other leagues. While the MSL says they aren't interested in expanding, even if they were interested, Logan brings more competition than many there would accept, much like the TVC. The OCC D-II division schools would be good, but they won't travel. May well accept some reality and get on with it.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

Logan coming to the MSL as it is currently would be a repeat of Athens going to the TVC. While I feel the MSL is a better overall football league than the TVC normally, numbers count and Logan would be double the size of many schools they would play. Now if the MSL can get a couple of OCC schools to defect to form a fourth, big school division, then Logan would be a nice fit along with TV, Hamilton Township and maybe Whitehall.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

bman wrote:Logan coming to the MSL as it is currently would be a repeat of Athens going to the TVC. While I feel the MSL is a better overall football league than the TVC normally, numbers count and Logan would be double the size of many schools they would play. Now if the MSL can get a couple of OCC schools to defect to form a fourth, big school division, then Logan would be a nice fit along with TV, Hamilton Township and maybe Whitehall.
If they make a big school division in the MSL like the TVC does ....Logan wouldn't double no one in size.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

… info from an SEOAL school source - not Logan - hmmm leaves us with Warren, Jackson, Gallia Academy … reinforcing my conversation with Coach Duckworth of Marietta HS concerning his wishes for the Tiger Nation to return to the SEOAL … my sources tell me that with the SEOAL rejection by the TVC Gallia was ready to sign on with the OVC but information arrived that gave the remaining SEOAL teams a "solid" impression that Marietta WANTS to be back in the SEOAL … Gallia's impending jump to the OVC is now again on hold … waiting for a formal bid from Marietta to return to the SouthEast Ohio Athletic League … and then there were FIVE :

Logan
Jackson
Gallia Academy
Warren
MARIETTA

… what's the possibility that a Parkersburg South would want to cross the river into the SEOAL with Marietta returning to the fold ??? maybe an Athens ? I KNOW THAT'S PIE IN THE SKY thinking - getting the "old gang" back together … maybe an Al Michaels moment "Do YOU believe in Miracles !!!???" … okay I'll stop there LOL

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

South and Point do not belong to a League.Point is a lot better in sports now than the first time. This would give Gallipolis across the river game.
South drives a ton of miles to play their games. Don't know about Point right off.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

noreply66 wrote:
bman wrote:Logan coming to the MSL as it is currently would be a repeat of Athens going to the TVC. While I feel the MSL is a better overall football league than the TVC normally, numbers count and Logan would be double the size of many schools they would play. Now if the MSL can get a couple of OCC schools to defect to form a fourth, big school division, then Logan would be a nice fit along with TV, Hamilton Township and maybe Whitehall.
If they make a big school division in the MSL like the TVC does ....Logan wouldn't double no one in size.
I said as the MSL currently is, hence Logan would be in the Buckeye and be much bigger than Circleville, LE, Amanda, FU and Carroll. If the MSL could maybe get Canal back and add Groveport to the three other schools I mentioned then that'd work and Logan would be with similarly sized schools.

moonshine
SEO

Post by moonshine »

Had a very good lunch the other day At the Hocking Hills Dinner. Talked to the Owner about having DIME a DOG night b-4 all Football games at home this fall, eat in only! Also she will have Football Friday Night Specials!

Return to “Football”