TVC Hocking 2014

ONE OF A KIND
Varsity

Re: TVC Hocking 2014

Post by ONE OF A KIND »

93Bulldog wrote:
Ground Buck wrote:Yes but as we all have been told, "numbers don't mean anything." ;-)
I believe you are twisting my words.

Number of "FOOTBALL PLAYERS" in a school does matter.
So are you saying Trimble has a better chance of having "11 FOOTBALL PLAYERS" with their 50 or more man roster than those teams with only a 25 man roster?

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

I don't know about a better chance ... chance has nothing to do with it.

They have just over 100 boys in the school, but almost half of them make the sacrifice and put in the work to become football players.

But who cares ... the "numbers" argument is old and boring. Everyone has their views and I accepted that a long time ago.

ONE OF A KIND
Varsity

Post by ONE OF A KIND »

Then I will point out the obvious: Choosing from 50 players gives them a much better chance of finding 11 good ones than those teams that have to choose from 25. That is also what helps NY maintain a solid program year after year. Hopefully NY will have 60+ next year.

fairlandboi'06
Riding the Bench

Post by fairlandboi'06 »

It seems like everyone here thinks if Trimble gets beat in the regular season it will be by NY. I think we should keep in mind that Trimble has only beat The White Falcons once since they joined the TVC. I would say Wahama always has a chance to beat the Cats. Just my thoughts guys.

n4sir
Freshman Team

Post by n4sir »

Trimble may have only lost 5 players on defense.......but those 5 are gonna be very hard to replace. My biggest concern is who is gonna step up and fill the QB position?

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

N4sir wrote:Trimble may have only lost 5 players on defense.......but those 5 are gonna be very hard to replace. My biggest concern is who is gonna step up and fill the QB position?
yes, replacing a DVII offensive player of the year and a DVII defensive player of the year in the state of Ohio is a tall order.

But I'm not so much concerned about replacing the five on defense because I watched some 'non starters' impact big games down the stretch.

5 replacements:

1. Cody Carroll 5'10 195 - had the big forced fumble against Steubenville Catholic in the regional semi-final.
2. Bryce Guthrie 6'3 230 - came in and played the entire game at DE vs Shadyside in the regional final after Jacob Altier hurt his ankle. And did a great job I might add.
3. Jonathan Roback 6'0 240 - has been a starter on the offensive line since his freshmen year - he can do what Tanner Koons did this year and play both ways.
4. Jacob Stevens 5'10 220 - what better way to replace Jon Stevens on the D-line than with his younger brother, who is basically a clone of his older sibling.

What the 'Cats are left with is replacing a huge piece in MLB Jacob Koons ... and at QB with Konner Standley.
If Andrew Losey, who will be a junior in 2014, can't fill the void at QB - then Justice Jenkins may have to take direct snaps and Trimble will look a lot like it did in 2012 when Konner was a junior. But hey, that team did alright going 10-1 and reaching the regional semi-finals.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

Wizard wrote:It seems like everyone here thinks if Trimble gets beat in the regular season it will be by NY. I think we should keep in mind that Trimble has only beat The White Falcons once since they joined the TVC. I would say Wahama always has a chance to beat the Cats. Just my thoughts guys.
I wouldn't say everyone.
A lot depends on the off season, injury's, who shows up in the weight room and who doesn't. Some kids decide not to play and other who didn't play the year before decide to play. Truth be told the only thing I can predict is that at the very least Trimble will win 8 games. Nelsonville-York and Wahama should be there toughest games, but again.....you never know, that's why they playem on Tue field and not on paper.

Lungbuster
JV Team

Post by Lungbuster »

I wouldnt be real suprised if you see Downs taking snaps for the 'Cats next fall. That leaves Jenkins at running back and keeps the ball in your playmakers hands every play.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Lungbuster wrote:I wouldnt be real suprised if you see Downs taking snaps for the 'Cats next fall. That leaves Jenkins at running back and keeps the ball in your playmakers hands every play.
Actually i would like to see Downs at QB.

Gecko
Varsity

Post by Gecko »

Im sure you would like to see downs at QB Orange and Brown.
Take a kid who had 76 catches for 1,375 yards and 17 TD's and put him at QB?????? Trimble will have someone step up and be able to throw it out their to downs and simerly with Jenkins at TB. Not to mention they have a pretty good offensive line returning. many players like bulldog 93 mentioned got snaps all throughout the season on defense as well.
Trimble always has a decent QB because of their scheme and willingness to put him in a good situation and let them throw the ball on non passing downs.
The cats lose some good players but with a few kids stepping up they should go 10-0 again.

fairlandboi'06
Riding the Bench

Post by fairlandboi'06 »

OK. Lets just say that Downs will in no way be the QB for the Cats next fall and the Losey kid doesn't work out. Do the Cats have someone that can step up?
If I remember correctly didn't Jenkins play a little QB in junior high. If that would happen it would be about like number 4 playing QB. Just my thoughts guys.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

I have seen hundreds of athletes grow leaps and bounds between their sophomore and junior year. Losey is a terrific baseball player and coach Fairs will have his hands on him all spring - I wouldn't be surprised if that kid steps up and becomes a good football player next fall.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

gecko wrote:Im sure you would like to see downs at QB Orange and Brown.
Take a kid who had 76 catches for 1,375 yards and 17 TD's and put him at QB?????? Trimble will have someone step up and be able to throw it out their to downs and simerly with Jenkins at TB. Not to mention they have a pretty good offensive line returning. many players like bulldog 93 mentioned got snaps all throughout the season on defense as well.
Trimble always has a decent QB because of their scheme and willingness to put him in a good situation and let them throw the ball on non passing downs.
The cats lose some good players but with a few kids stepping up they should go 10-0 again.
I only meant that he is an athlete and would do real well at QB....I meant nothing negative or had any othe motives in my statement.

Gecko
Varsity

Post by Gecko »

I know you meant nothing by the comment orange and brown. I meant if downs isn't at wide rec. and at QB he can't throw it to himself and trimble becomes 1 dimensional. with downs at Wide receiver you have to know where he is and maybe even double team him. Not one player guarded him this year by himself and had success.
Trimble is a better football team with him at receiver and there is no doubt that downs could play QB and do well.
also agree with wizard on jenkins at qb would remind you a lot of Konner Standley at the beginning of his junior year. Only time will tell what happens but Losey has a lot of potential.

tomcat fan
All Conference

Post by tomcat fan »

Isn't next year the year river valley joins? If so what will the alignments look like?

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

tomcat fan wrote:Isn't next year the year river valley joins? If so what will the alignments look like?
River Valley is joining the Ohio so nothing will change for the Hocking.

tomcatsroll
Freshman Team

Post by tomcatsroll »

Rumor I heard on the streets is that the QB from Alexander is thinking about transfering into Trimble. Has anyone else heard the same rumor?

moonshine
SEO

Post by moonshine »

tomcatsroll wrote:Rumor I heard on the streets is that the QB from Alexander is thinking about transfering into Trimble. Has anyone else heard the same rumor?

Will have to set out 5 games, unless he can prove to be a hardship case!

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Not if they move to Glouster. I have seen numerous kids transfer within county and not sit out any games.

OrginialYouKnow
JV Team

Post by OrginialYouKnow »

As i heard threw the grape vine that the tomcats might be having some transfers comming in 2014 is there any truth to that???

Return to “Football”