Jared McCray

Pol pot
SE

Re: Jared McCray

Post by Pol pot »

Crab's brother wrote:
Pol Pot wrote:It's not "common sense". Kids that get caught up in a "name" usually pick a school for the wrong reason. But I know you guys know about the college game, recuriting and the like. All Internet experts, thanks for keeping me entertained.
Enlighten us as to your knowledge about the "college game, recuriting (I assume you meant recruiting), and the like''....I am curious.

Dude, my post had nothing to do with recruiting or playing time. I only referenced the opportunities afforded to major college athletes post graduation. I don't know Jared personally. I don't know if he plans to go into medicine, business, teaching, coaching, or the ministry for that matter. That is irrelevant to the discussion we are having and the point I am trying to make. Here is the example I will use:

Jared goes to Central Michigan (just an example). He plays four years, starts his last 3 years and is honorable mention all-MAC as a senior. No NFL combine and his career is over.
Jared goes to Michigan State (again-just an example). He plays four years, earns starting time mid way through his junior year and starts as a senior. No NFL and again, his football career is over.

All things being equal, as in his resume and GPA are the same. This young man applies to jobs all throughout the state of Michigan. What situation do you think pulls more weight? Granted, this is just one situation, but if you don't think that the alumni base at a BCS school and the popularity of BIG TIME college football will help get that kid a better job faster, then you don't really know or want to believe how things work.

Again, good luck to Mr. McCray. It was a joy to watch you play in the SOC and I know that you will make the decision that is best for you and your future. Scioto County is behind you.
Central Michigan had the OVERALL #1 Pick in the NFL Draft last year! The NFL has plenty of Mid-American Conference players represented, and will have more next year. And these programs also have very wealthy and successful alumni who take care of their own. And being a BCS school has absolutely no bearing on quality of jobs or degrees.

Ohio State graduates 74% of their football players and 8 of the 12 Big 10 schools are under 75% which is horrid.
Illinois 75% and Minnesota 69%

Louisville graduates 63% of their football players and Cincinnati 70%

As for my credentials, they are real, been in the NCAA game for over 20 years and know kids in all levels of experience and success on the field and off.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

Pol Pot wrote:
Crab's brother wrote:
Pol Pot wrote:It's not "common sense". Kids that get caught up in a "name" usually pick a school for the wrong reason. But I know you guys know about the college game, recuriting and the like. All Internet experts, thanks for keeping me entertained.
Enlighten us as to your knowledge about the "college game, recuriting (I assume you meant recruiting), and the like''....I am curious.

Dude, my post had nothing to do with recruiting or playing time. I only referenced the opportunities afforded to major college athletes post graduation. I don't know Jared personally. I don't know if he plans to go into medicine, business, teaching, coaching, or the ministry for that matter. That is irrelevant to the discussion we are having and the point I am trying to make. Here is the example I will use:

Jared goes to Central Michigan (just an example). He plays four years, starts his last 3 years and is honorable mention all-MAC as a senior. No NFL combine and his career is over.
Jared goes to Michigan State (again-just an example). He plays four years, earns starting time mid way through his junior year and starts as a senior. No NFL and again, his football career is over.

All things being equal, as in his resume and GPA are the same. This young man applies to jobs all throughout the state of Michigan. What situation do you think pulls more weight? Granted, this is just one situation, but if you don't think that the alumni base at a BCS school and the popularity of BIG TIME college football will help get that kid a better job faster, then you don't really know or want to believe how things work.

Again, good luck to Mr. McCray. It was a joy to watch you play in the SOC and I know that you will make the decision that is best for you and your future. Scioto County is behind you.
Central Michigan had the OVERALL #1 Pick in the NFL Draft last year! The NFL has plenty of Mid-American Conference players represented, and will have more next year. And these programs also have very wealthy and successful alumni who take care of their own. And being a BCS school has absolutely no bearing on quality of jobs or degrees.

Ohio State graduates 74% of their football players and 8 of the 12 Big 10 schools are under 75% which is horrid.
Illinois 75% and Minnesota 69%

Louisville graduates 63% of their football players and Cincinnati 70%

As for my credentials, they are real, been in the NCAA game for over 20 years and know kids in all levels of experience and success on the field and off.

#1 - I have not, in any of my posts, said anything about the NFL. Eric Fisher being from Central Michigan is completely irrelevant to the discussion we are having. No one is going to argue that the MAC and similar conferences put players into the league. They also don't put them in at the rate that the big boys do, but even though that helps my argument, it is not the point of this discussion.

#2 - And being a BCS school has absolutely no bearing on quality of jobs or degrees. This could not be more wrong. According to US News, of the top 100 colleges in America, 49 compete in the FBS. Of those 49, 43 of them are BCS affiliated! Considering there are roughly 68 BCS teams and 56 non BCS teams, those rankings tell the story. There are only 6 "mid majors" in the top 100 colleges in the country (Rice, Tulane, SMU, Miami (OH), Tulsa, UMass). If you don't think a degree from Minnesota (#69) is better than one from Central Michigan, then I don't know what to tell you.

#3 - Not sure what the graduation rates have to do with anything---Doesn't matter if the rate is 40%, if the kid puts in the effort, they will get the degree.

#4- Your experience in the NCAA game is great. I still think you are completely disconnected from the education standpoint in college athletics. Having been in a position recently where I had to apply for Post-graduate education opportunities, I know what weight big school degrees pull.

The Oaf
SEO

Post by The Oaf »

mikepike wrote:I remember when Jared Zwick was at OSU. When Troy Smith beat him out as the starting QB, he was aksed why he didn't transfer. His response was "I'll have a degree from Ohio State. Why would I leave?" He knew that there would be doors opened to him because he played for the Buckeyes that wouldn't be opened if he went somewhere else.
Absolutely correct Mike. Justin Zwick*

The Oaf
SEO

Post by The Oaf »

Good post Crab, couldn't agree with you more.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Jared McCray has been back on the basketball court for Minford's last 3 games - looks like he's back a little early! not good for some of the Falcon opposition ... I believe I read where he had a double double in the last outing ...

14U
S

Post by 14U »

As long as Jared gets his education and plays football it should matter where he goes has long as it's paid for. I seen many players go from big D-1 to smaller D-1 schools. These days a lot of players go small to see playing time fast and a lot of them see draft day!! It's just nice to see a local that is going D-1 and a great kid at that. Good Luck Jared.

Axe N Shield
Varsity

Post by Axe N Shield »

Look at the Cadogens .. where they at and what did Penn St. do for them in their situations or to improve their brand? You have another young man who plays for Mich. St. who beat Ohio St. in Pendelton! Where will he decisions land him in the future? Especially, when he starts and could very possibly be a Rose Bowl Champion! Unfortunately, fullback are not that common in the NFL schemes of today like it was in the 70's and 80's.

Just some food for thought! It's about education.. football is just a tool for obtaining that education! Unfortunately, most people see it in another light that usually ends up in disappointment.

bengalfan76
SE

Post by bengalfan76 »

Axe N Shield wrote:Look at the Cadogens .. where they at and what did Penn St. do for them in their situations or to improve their brand? You have another young man who plays for Mich. St. who beat Ohio St. in Pendelton! Where will he decisions land him in the future? Especially, when he starts and could very possibly be a Rose Bowl Champion! Unfortunately, fullback are not that common in the NFL schemes of today like it was in the 70's and 80's.

Just some food for thought! It's about education.. football is just a tool for obtaining that education! Unfortunately, most people see it in another light that usually ends up in disappointment.
Amen

wrestlefan1
JV Team

Post by wrestlefan1 »

go a level where you will actually see the field
most of the people around here think they run a 4.5..
well, its really a 4.8 and 4.8's are a dime a dozen
people get caught up in a division they play in and that is just plain stupid

go where the college will fit the kid and make it thru..

bengalfan76
SE

Post by bengalfan76 »

Go to the place that you can get the best education for the least amount of money period. At the end of the day that education will take you farther in life. Football ( sports in general) is a means to get there. GO to the highest level you can and work your tail off on the field and in the classroom. Good luck to Jared wherever you end up. You have fans all over SE OHIO.

fortdawg
All Conference

Post by fortdawg »

My humble, and unsolicited :), advice to the young men who go on to play at the college level, whether it's on scholarship or as a walk-on is to go where it fits your needs. Get your education and then worry about the other stuff like playing time, contacts, or just to prove you can do it. You have been given a gift--use it to make yourself happy. Good luck to all athletes at every level as they continue to play the sports they love.

The Enforcer
SEO

Post by The Enforcer »

Who cares where it is He will be playing, He is one of the lucky ones from this part of the state to keep playing in college.

vladimir
S

Post by vladimir »

I think he will end up at Ohio University.

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

What ever he decides to do would like to wish him the best.

14U
S

Post by 14U »

OU isn't bad. Look at Pryor from Portsmouth he went to Florida St and Bowden retired. He went to OU and started last 3 years and all took him to a bowl.

vladimir
S

Post by vladimir »

Ohio isn't bad at all. There have been a few players who where stars in this area go to OHIO and not make the team past their Soph year. So you can't be any kinda of a slouch and play for the Bobcats. AS far as John Pryor (PHS) though, I do feel OHIO was the best fit for him, meaning that he's started at OT the majority of the time there, but if he stayed at Florida State he'd be playing for a National Championship.

Louisville was dominate in their Bowl game against Miami; and won a BCS bowl last year, but their losing their coach to Texas. Pendleton (West) could have gave up when MSU chose to red shirt him after his ankle injury, but he worked hard and now is a Big 10 and BCS Rose Bowl Champion. Nice TD BTW JP!!!!

Personally, I'd like to see McCray suck it up and go the Louisville route with an attitude something to prove to them. Again, OHIO isn't a bad choice at all with Frank Solich at the helm. Whichever route he decides, I'll be looking for him on Saturdays.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

Vladimir wrote:Ohio isn't bad at all. There have been a few players who where stars in this area go to OHIO and not make the team past their Soph year. So you can't be any kinda of a slouch and play for the Bobcats. AS far as John Pryor (PHS) though, I do feel OHIO was the best fit for him, meaning that he's started at OT the majority of the time there, but if he stayed at Florida State he'd be playing for a National Championship.

Louisville was dominate in their Bowl game against Miami; and won a BCS bowl last year, but their losing their coach to Texas. Pendleton (West) could have gave up when MSU chose to red shirt him after his ankle injury, but he worked hard and now is a Big 10 and BCS Rose Bowl Champion. Nice TD BTW JP!!!!

Personally, I'd like to see McCray suck it up and go the Louisville route with an attitude something to prove to them. Again, OHIO isn't a bad choice at all with Frank Solich at the helm. Whichever route he decides, I'll be looking for him on Saturdays.
Did you really say, the kid needs to "suck it up and go the Louisville route"? Selecting a school is about fit and opportunity, not "sucking it up". As for Pryor, he'd be on the sidelines at the NC game, not playing in it, Ohio was the right fit for him, Pendleton had a great experience and it's because MSU was a great fit for him, it's to each there own, and what's best for each individual.

vladimir
S

Post by vladimir »

^ As to you question, Yes, that's exactly what I said, so read the rest and do us all a favor and try to comprehend the bigger picture, and don't take things out of context. I also said, "With an attitude of something to prove," as to showing them he can do it. He can always transfer. As this is a once in a lifetime opportunity, I completely disagree as to: Nothing ventured then nothing gained.

Also that is pure speculation, you don't know Pryor would be standing on the sidelines if he stayed at Florida State.

I suggested you read this before offering an opinion on grey-shirting and the transfer opportunities that he'd still have available to him:

http://www.siskiyous.edu/counseling/ath ... yshirt.pdf.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

I am well aware of grey shirting, and there IS NO binding agreements on a Grey Shirt, and you have Charlie Strong leaving for Texas, and all bets would be off the table. Why would anyone want to sit out for two years, especially when you cannot even practice?

As for Pryor, no, not really speculation on my part, the young man came to the level he should have started at, and was not even one of OHIO's better O-Linemen in his 3 years, and you think he'd be playing tomorrow night.

And by the way, your Grey Shirt link regards kids going to Community Colleges and transferring up, not the FBS to FBS situation, which means you sit an additional year.

vladimir
S

Post by vladimir »

I know for a fact Pryor did attend FSU and did practice with them. He did transfer out to OHIO and not sure if he had to sit out totally or was able to practice but wasn't allowed to play for 1-year. Really, IMO those early years are development years anyway, so if he transferred and had to sit out a year but was allowed to practice at least he can say he tried for a major D-1.

As there are many reasons for a school to grey shirt a player but nearly all of them revolve around the idea of over signing a recruiting class. My feeling it's probably #3 or 4 of these issues concerned with "Greyshirting." They are as follows:

1.A player will not qualify academically. If the coaching staff knows going into the process that a player will likely not qualify to play on the FBS level academically for his freshman year, the school will have him sign with the school on national signing day and then over sign to replace him for the fall while working to set the player up with a junior college that will work to get him academically eligible to end up at the school in one or two years.

2.A player is injured and the school wants to see how well he recovers from the injury. This is where things tend to get murky with schools basically keeping a player from going to another school with no given intent to let the player on the team when the spring semester rolls around. If the school does not think the player is any longer good enough or healed enough to be a contributor to the program, they will just tell the player after he signs that they have no intent of having him on the team.

3.A coach knows a scholarship will be open after the season but not until the spring semester. This practice ends up happening with schools that see many departures due to transfers, players going pro, and naturally players just leaving the program in general. This is normally something that has been mentioned previously with the player and there is an understanding between the player and the university that this is the best way to go.

4.A school gets a better recruit at the last minute. If a running back commits early in the process to a school and is the running back of choice for months and months and suddenly at the end of the signing period, a better player comes along and signs his letter of intent, the coaching staff may try to grey shirt the first player while having the better player sit out a semester. Usually this happens right before signing day and causes the highest amount of drama between coaches and players. Players feel like the coach abandoned them after the player pledged his services previously. The most common scenario ends up with the player choosing another college completely.

5.Coaches trying to purposely circumvent the rules. When a coach brings in a large recruiting class that has all players academically make the cut, there has to be someone that loses out in the end. Many times a fringe player will be unceremoniously cut from the team with the press release saying he left the team for personal issues. This frees up a scholarship for the over signed incoming player. Other times the incoming player may enroll in summer courses and work out with the team before the team decides later on that "it isn't a good fit" and they tell him he will not be with the program in the fall. This could result in a grey shirt or the player leaving the program entirely.

Return to “Football”