SEOP

Re: Historic SEOAL Stadiums

Post by loganlocos »

A few updates in the original post.

The Broker
Riding the Bench

Post by The Broker »

Trimble's softball stadium, "Null Field," is probably the only one in the state that was totally paid for by the coach.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

The Broker wrote:Trimble's softball stadium, "Null Field," is probably the only one in the state that was totally paid for by the coach.
I don't recall Trimble ever being in the SEOAL...

moonshine
SEO

Post by moonshine »

The Oaf wrote:
wipala wrote:Spartan in Portsmouth was Municpal before it was changed to honor the
Portsmouth Spartans that was an NFL in the early 30's. I was at the ceremony and
There were some of the Spatans there, do not remember the year though. Sure
Someone does
You know, I often wondered why the powers that be didn't try contacting the NFL is regards to renovating ole Spartan Stadium. Considering the historical significance of the stadium, not to mention the HOF being in Ohio, it seems logical that the league would have had an interest in stepping and involving itself in some capacity. Just something to ponder.
Same can be said about Tanks in Ironton!

The Oaf
SEO

Post by The Oaf »

moonshine wrote:
The Oaf wrote:
wipala wrote:Spartan in Portsmouth was Municpal before it was changed to honor the
Portsmouth Spartans that was an NFL in the early 30's. I was at the ceremony and
There were some of the Spatans there, do not remember the year though. Sure
Someone does
You know, I often wondered why the powers that be didn't try contacting the NFL is regards to renovating ole Spartan Stadium. Considering the historical significance of the stadium, not to mention the HOF being in Ohio, it seems logical that the league would have had an interest in stepping and involving itself in some capacity. Just something to ponder.
Same can be said about Tanks in Ironton!
I don't think so. I'm not 100%(99%) :lol: sure but I don't think the Tanks were in the NFL. The reason I single Spartan out is because it was the site for the first night game under the lights in the NFL, hence the historical relevance. YTB can tell us for sure.

LetsGoPSU
SE

Post by LetsGoPSU »

It was the first NFL night game ever played, I really do not remember the date, but as a Trojan we played a home game on the 50 tear anniversary of the date, I believe in 1980...my old age has destroyed my memory without doing the research

wipala
Varsity

Post by wipala »

Just a side note about the Spartans, they played in the NFL championship game their last year in Portsmouth, losing to, you guessed, the Packers. After that season they were sold and moved to Detroit and became the Lions.
Also, when Portsmouth went to the 6-3-3 system for schools, Grant took the name "generals" and I believe
McKinley took on the name "Spartans" and for a short period of time the Grant-McKinley game was played at
what is now known as Spartan stadium in the season ending game. I was in7th grade when first game played and
I do not remember which team won. Another item, when we all got to PHS we played as one team and I think we all
came together. Scores may not say that but life long friendships came and that IS way more important than a high
school game played 50 years ago. Just my two cents worth
Wipalawalt

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

Few more updates to Jackson, Pomeroy, Middleport, and New Boston.

Howard Cosell
All Conference

Post by Howard Cosell »

I am telling it like it is. If its about the SEOAL it needs to be on top of this message board.

moonshine
SEO

Post by moonshine »

HowardCosell wrote:I am telling it like it is. If its about the SEOAL it needs to be on top of this message board.
TTT

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

Updated.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

THE TANKS WERE NOT IN THE NFL. BUT THE IRONTON TANKS AND THE PORTSMOUTH SPARTANS MERGED TO BECOME THE DETROIT LIONS.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

THE TANKS ALSO DEFEATED THE GIANTS AND THE BEARS.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

LetsGoPSU wrote:It was the first NFL night game ever played, I really do not remember the date, but as a Trojan we played a home game on the 50 tear anniversary of the date, I believe in 1980...my old age has destroyed my memory without doing the research

indeed. did the plaque that was on old Portsmouth stadium get used in the building of the new facility.

also ironton/Portsmouth is Ohio's second longest rivalry. second only to troy/piqua.

LHS 72
S

Post by LHS 72 »

Still miss Bill Sauer field! But the swamp as a buddy of refers to is better, but the location sucks! Should have been up on Jurgensmeir hill where the school complex should have been built.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

I remember it.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

LHS 72 wrote:Still miss Bill Sauer field! But the swamp as a buddy of refers to is better, but the location sucks! Should have been up on Jurgensmeir hill where the school complex should have been built.
Nowhere else like it.

Lost a lot when we moved off the Hilltop. Hell of a venue. Now we've got a school there. Oh well.

LoveMyRedmen
Riding the Bench

Post by LoveMyRedmen »

You're Tiger Bait wrote:also ironton/Portsmouth is Ohio's second longest rivalry. second only to troy/piqua.
Ironton vs. Portsmouth is Ohio's 5th oldest rivalry.

Massilon Washington v. Canton McKinley - 1894
Sandusky v. Fremont Ross - 1895
Dover v. New Philadelphia - 1896
Troy v. Piqua - 1899
Ironton v. Portsmouth - 1902

It is the oldest rivalry in southern Ohio.

I update the record for this site every year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_hi ... _years_old
Last edited by LoveMyRedmen on Mon May 18, 2015 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

LoganLocos wrote:
LHS 72 wrote:Still miss Bill Sauer field! But the swamp as a buddy of refers to is better, but the location sucks! Should have been up on Jurgensmeir hill where the school complex should have been built.
Nowhere else like it.

Lost a lot when we moved off the Hilltop. Hell of a venue. Now we've got a school there. Oh well.
The Hilltop was special.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

LetsGoPSU wrote:The NFL played its first night game in Portsmouth at Spartan Stadium
Wasn't the first NFL Thanksgiving day game played there also???

Return to “Football”