Week 11: #7 Oak Hill @ #2 Bishop Ready

chiefs
Varsity

Re: Week 11: #7 Oak Hill @ #2 Bishop Ready

Post by chiefs »

philbilly wrote:Re: Week 11: #7 Oak Hill @ #2 Bishop Ready
by BishopReadyFootball » November 6th, 2013, 1:18 pm

I was curious how long it would take the bitter and uneducated to come out... Tell me why is Ready an all star team? What do you know about these kids and their back story? Just curious, if you're going to sit there and cast stones you must know something about our program that I'm not privy to...

BishopReadyFootball
Waterboy

It's common knowledge that there is a double standard in this state when it comes to Public and Private. It amazes me how that ever kid that gets an "academic scholarship" to Cincinnati Moeller, just happens to run a 4.3 forty.
Those 4.3 forty kids must also do academic competition/quiz bowl. A few years ago they finished second in the state for the overall competition.

madpolecat
All State

Post by madpolecat »

On the game Friday:

I was able to watch the Ready highlight tape on Hudl. They look fast.

http://www.hudl.com/team/29444/highlights/37201818

The thing that speed does in high school footbal is punish the mistakes an opponent makes. Oak Hill will have to play a solid defensive game to shut down the Silver Knights... but playing sound defense is what the Oaks have done VERY well since the Dugan Era began. The Oaks don't give up a lot of points. This isn't as much of a mismatch as some people seem to think.

On the Recruiting thing:

Anytime a team or individual is sucessful, outsiders looking in will scream "Cheaters!!"

This is the same Oak Hill that people accused of cleaning out Southwestern football in the 1980s and the same Oak Hill who has been accused of running a girls' basketball academy.

Get over it folks, and let the kids play ball.

doubleplay643
S

Post by doubleplay643 »

[quote="The FC Fan
Also, I think the publics will win the "title count" this year four to three. Kirtland, MSML, Coldwater and perhaps Tippecanoe will all win state titles.[/quote]

The academics at all those schools we just mentioned is hands-down better. I 100% agree. No argument here, without giving too much away as I like to keep my identity and privacy here to myself, I am fully aware of the academic benefits of a private (Catholic) education. It is simply very good.

But here is some public school math for you FC Fan using your numbers above. You say above that 3 out of 7 Catholic Schools will win the "title count". That is 43%. So out of all the OHSAA schools and approximately 10% of them being Catholic they will 43% of the state titles this year and 90% of the public schools will win 57%. A statistical anomaly? I think not, especially when that anomaly happens every year.

Not going to argue the obvious anymore FC Fan, understand your bias, I have my own, will have to agree to disagree on this one.

js7_22
Varsity

Post by js7_22 »

Oak Hill plays in one of the weakest conferences in the state Ohio and beats up on teams like Green (2-8), East (3-7), Rock Hill (1-9), Alexander (1-9), Chesapeake (2-8) and expects to compete with teams who schedule up and play in tougher divisions. Maybe it's time to step up to SOC 2 division with some of the schools that are the same size as them? You prepare for post season by scheduling teams that will give you competition as well as points. All the excuses I ever see about private schools come from teams who are beaten by them.

Last year the Catholic/Public school state championship was split 3 win to 3 wins.

2012 - Private 3, Public 3
2011 - Private 2, Public 4
2010 - Private 5, Public 1
2009 - Private 4, Public 2

Totals - Private 14, Public 10

That's 4 years and this year we could possible see 4 Public schools with state titles this year. Bringing the last 5 year total to:

Private 15, Public 14

Seems pretty balanced to me.
Why is this such a bad thing? It's not, so why separate the Private from Public. It's basically Public schools getting mad, taking their ball and going home to pout.

What really effects Southeastern Ohio are the number of Public schools per county and sq/miles. Take for instance, Scioto County is 610 sq/miles with a population of 79,000 and have 12 schools in the county.

Columbus is located in Franklin County, is 532 sq/miles and has a population of 1.2 million people. 2,186 people per sq mile.

It doesn't get much easier to figure out why schools have so many students to select from. The population helps them out, just so happens that Private schools can offer an education that is considered much higher than a public school, as well as scholarships to students who they feel deserve them. If I lived in the Newark area you better believe I'm wanting to send my kid to Newark Catholic, why? A good education and the athletics, do they have to accept him into the school? No. They have built a reputation and kids want to be a part of it.

Why don't more parents send their students to Notre Dame High School and create powerhouse athletic teams as well as receive a paid education. Because Johnny might never see the field and their parents went to school at "East, SW, Green" and by God that is where they are going to graduate as well.

Wheelersburg and Valley have found success in sports, (Burg in Baseball and Football), (Valley in Football and Baseball), (SW in basketball), etc. It's the seeder programs that need worked on.

Quit crying and go play your heart out and if you lose, then give a nod to the better team and prepare for next year. But until you move to SOC 2 it's going to continue to be difficult to make the playoffs and compete in them against teams who are playing much tougher schedules.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

good luck oak hill

tiger_pound_mom
Waterboy

Post by tiger_pound_mom »

Ready is a run oriented team with Akili Taylor at back (Offers from Navy and Kent State). When you think you've got him down he pushes for an extra 2-3 yards... Kid is an incredible back. Yoho is a mobile QB that can hurt you with his legs. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I only know of 7 points off a pick the whole season Yoho has thrown, simply put he doesn't throw dumb passes. The defense had me really concerned regarding the 35 Ready gave up to Miami Trace, but really improved as Hartley visited the red zone 5 times and only came away with 14 points.

Dean
Freshman Team

Post by Dean »

10% of the schools win over half of the titles and you call that balanced?

js7_22
Varsity

Post by js7_22 »

Yes it is when it's 15-14 in wins. If it were 20-9 or 22-7 then I would say it isn't fair. But it's basically split down the middle so no.

lineman7
All Conference

Post by lineman7 »

JS7_22 wrote:Yes it is when it's 15-14 in wins. If it were 20-9 or 22-7 then I would say it isn't fair. But it's basically split down the middle so no.

JS7 you don't understand. Math says that 10% of the schools should win 10% of the titles, not over 50%. If there was no bias then public schools would win 90% of the titles and private schools would win 10% of the titles. However that is clearly not what happens. It is clearly a system that favors the private schools, and you can't even make a logical argument in any other way.

Is that good or bad? It depends on if you are biased in favor of private or public schools

chiefs
Varsity

Post by chiefs »

When there's are a ton of public schools that just have terrible football programs / athletic programs in general (as a result of no one caring or other things), that inflates the number of public schools that compete. Most of the public schools you find in Dayton, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Akron, and Columbus have terrible football programs. Then you have the really not so good public schools that are pretty small (Millersport, Green, Rock Hill) that make up Ohio's school count. Small number of privates? Sure, but better proactivity and involvement is why they win.

urban buck
Varsity

Post by urban buck »

Good Luck Oaks.

doubleplay643
S

Post by doubleplay643 »

MadPolecat wrote:
On the game Friday: Oak Hill will have to play a solid defensive game to shut down the Silver Knights... but playing sound defense is what the Oaks have done VERY well since the Dugan Era began. The Oaks don't give up a lot of points. This isn't as much of a mismatch as some people seem to think.

On the Recruiting thing:

Anytime a team or individual is sucessful, outsiders looking in will scream "Cheaters!!"
MadPolecat let me be perfectly clear here. This is a mismatch of fairly significant proportion. If the Oaks were to compete in this game I do believe it would be a made for TV movie or episode, and be the equivalent of the basketball Hoosiers storyline. Doesn't mean I am not going to go root for them and every SEO team playing this weekend, just means I am pragmatic.

No one claimed anyone was cheating...no one. Several comments simply as to the differences between open enrollment vs. "scholarship" or need based enrollment for publics vs. privates. The Catholic schools play by the OHSAA rules that are currently in place.

FC Fan makes a good observation about a great number of public schools simply having bad programs, and, the result of that being, an artificially high number percentage wise of public schools that inflate the whole 10% win 50% of the titles argument. Not saying I completely buy it, but it does skew the percentages a little. However, I am betting he sees a little bit of my position as well.

Back to game Friday, this Jackson County boy is rooting for the underdog and that made for a movie upset storyline. Go OAKS!

chiefs
Varsity

Post by chiefs »

I do see your position, I just do not agree with the general maligning of Ready as an all-star team. Yes they have exceptionally talented kids who are transfers but lets not take away the hard work those kids on the line put in that has gotten the Knights this far.

doubleplay643
S

Post by doubleplay643 »

The FC Fan wrote:I do see your position, I just do not agree with the general maligning of Ready as an all-star team. Yes they have exceptionally talented kids who are transfers but lets not take away the hard work those kids on the line put in that has gotten the Knights this far.
Agree, at the end of the day every player/team whether talented "skill" players or just regular "grinders" have to work hard to get better, and that all shows up in the next few weeks.

I begrudge no parent and/or student to do what is absolutely best for that family's situation taking into account academics and athletics when it comes to school choices (private or public). We just don't have the luxury of a lot of choices here in these parts, but we are rich with old fashioned hard work and better believe there will be no lack of effort in the Oaks.

Good luck to both teams Friday night

nutronron2012
All State

Post by nutronron2012 »

Can anyone post a roster for ready?

Cruiser74
Waterboy

Post by Cruiser74 »

This is by no means a slam on Oak Hill, but Ready could beat any team in southeastern Ohio. Face it when you recruit and your loaded at all positions like Ready it will take a miracle to beat them. I hope Oak Hill can beat Ready.

Ontheriver
Freshman Team

Post by Ontheriver »

I just took a bet with old max from oah hill I gave him the oaks and 46.

Ontheriver
Freshman Team

Post by Ontheriver »

If you look at the bengals roster its very similar.

ironman
Waterboy

Post by ironman »

Gonna be a tough one for the Oaks. Pulling for upset but thinking Ready will win going away..... But Go Oak Hill and represent the SOC.

nutronron2012
All State

Post by nutronron2012 »

Ontheriver wrote:If you look at the bengals roster its very similar.
:aaaaa8
I SMELL FEAR

Return to “Football”