Week 10--Gallipolis (5-4) at Jackson (5-4)

boilermaker
SE

Re: Week 10--Gallipolis (5-4) at Jackson (5-4)

Post by boilermaker »

Go Blue Devils!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :twisted:

LHS 72
S

Post by LHS 72 »

Gallia by 3 in a close one! :?: :?: :?:

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

Jackson is the youngest team in the area . Starting 4 Freshmen and a boatload of Sophmores. The the next 3 classes of incoming Freshmen will be strong classes. IMO if we can go 6-4 with the youth and injuries and schedule that's a solid year. Ironmen football will be back next season.

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

I just hope we don't get to the point where 5-5 seasons are celebrated like with other area teams

firecracker
Riding the Bench

Post by firecracker »

It seems year after year, an upcoming class is the team to beat. A few years ago, this year's junior class was the team to beat, well that didn't happen.

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

firecracker wrote:It seems year after year, an upcoming class is the team to beat. A few years ago, this year's junior class was the team to beat, well that didn't happen.
That's because people falsely assume that peewee wins will mean instant and automatic success at varsity level. The big problem with this years team is injuries and lack of senior football players. The peewee program is feeding 30-35 players each season to the junior high program. Jackson football is alive and healthy . Just a few down years. It happens everywhere.

baller99
Riding the Bench

Post by baller99 »

The peewee also won against Chillicothe and there 3rd in region. We also beat Athens and Logan in Jr. high . Jackson is a very young team but you have to wonder why it took six games for Cooper and Potter to go from freshman ball to starting when everybody knew it August. These boys seem to always be out of position on defense and we can't pick up the blitz or have very few plays that backs have to get yards after contact not sure about blocking scheme. Same boys never seemed lost in 7th 8th and 9th grade may not have always made play but where always in right spot.

LHS 72
S

Post by LHS 72 »

Viking96 wrote:I just hope we don't get to the point where 5-5 seasons are celebrated like with other area teams
Expectations!

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

iman24 wrote:The peewee also won against Chillicothe and there 3rd in region. We also beat Athens and Logan in Jr. high . Jackson is a very young team but you have to wonder why it took six games for Cooper and Potter to go from freshman ball to starting when everybody knew it August. These boys seem to always be out of position on defense and we can't pick up the blitz or have very few plays that backs have to get yards after contact not sure about blocking scheme. Same boys never seemed lost in 7th 8th and 9th grade may not have always made play but where always in right spot.
So what's your suggestion to fix it ?

baller99
Riding the Bench

Post by baller99 »

Remove the drama and ego's.Get the kids to believe in program.

firecracker
Riding the Bench

Post by firecracker »

Makes a person wonder who else is on the sideline that can perform but has never had the chance to show it. Also, made the varsity coaches could learn something if they watch some of the pee-wee, 7th, 8th, grade football coaches.

baller99
Riding the Bench

Post by baller99 »

D3 school can't afford to loss athletes. We are losing more than we are bringing in. This year alone Parks elected not to play lost Betschel a d1 prospect choose to leave and Bird who had played since 2nd grade and was the fastest kid on team top 5 in league had enough by the second 7on7.

firecracker
Riding the Bench

Post by firecracker »

Down 20 plus players from last year, however a small senior class this year. Who wants to stand on the sidelines year after year and not play? When the team is up 28-0 and you still got 1st team in, COME ON! When Bob Kight give an update to the school board on stadium revenue, I know for a fact that money is down this season. Looking ahead next season, see small changes to the lineup, I see even less players coming out also.

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

Congratulations to the Jackson Ironmen on an outstanding win over their rival Gallia Academy tonight. Total domination from start to finish, winning 31-7.

The Jackson D held Gallia to around 100 yards of total offense. I believe GAHS had -37 yards rushing on the night. Wade Jarrell was held to -32 yards on the ground and was sacked 9 times. What a performance from an injury-riddled, young football team. Sent their seniors out on a high note and built some momentum for next season. Need to work hard this off-season, get healthy, and take back the SEOAL title next year!

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

You guys on here are killing me.

Young football team, tons of injuries. Hall has won two SEOAL championships and went to the playoffs twice in his five seasons at Jackson, even winning a playoff game in 2011. I'm sure he would tell you himself that he's not a perfect coach because no one is. Coaches make mistakes, just like players do. The bottom line is this. The guy can coach, and so can his staff. There's no reason to start over and ruin what should be some great football seasons the next few years. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and here's mine. Quit complaining and appreciate the fact that you have one of the better football staffs in our part of the state.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Sounds like this was the season of injuries in southeastern Ohio

doubleplay643
S

Post by doubleplay643 »

Couple observations on the game, the season, and the future:

Game
Completely dominated Gallia Academy on both sides of the ball, they wanted nothing to do with what the Ironmen were bringing last night and by the middle of the third quarter were tired of the physical game being played and mailed in the last quarter and a half or so. Nice play on the defensive line by Rawlins (spelling?) as well as Cooper and Roseberry, and I thought the offensive line did equally well. In the secondary Conley added a couple picks and I believe led the Ironmen with a total of 4 for this season. Well, I will just put this out there lol, but I am sure I am not the only one who thought this but, WOW, that was a nice mix of offense tonight. Sexton's passing was sharp and the ability to do what we did tonight throwing the ball bodes well for us next year and the year after for having a balanced offense.

Season
No, there was no SEOAL Championship, but Jackson finished the league by allowing the least points scored with 74 points total. Logan was next with 91 and from there no one is even close. Defensively we were the best in the SEOAL. With a 10-game season everyone wants changes made now, including me as I have a patience problem too lol, but there was clearly a metamorphosis from Game 5 or so through Game 10 in philosophy, personnel movement and improvement, some of it was injury related and some of it was a natural progression of trying different things. Everyone can have different opinions we all do, and I understand the basis for some, but improvement happened. Bottom line is defensively we were statistically the best in the SEOAL, with a very a fast, very athletic team on that side of the ball and with the exception of Parana return everyone. As the personnel progression changed and as we got more time under our belts I think we realized that offensively we can do different things. Last night shows we can not only be a hard-nosed running team, but can throw with some success as well when teams walk their safety down and load the box. This season we lost one game we should not have, and that was Logan, and the reason you lose a game you shouldn't is either turnovers and/or experience. We will not have the experience issue anymore for several years, and the turnovers I think are related to youth as well and will soon diminish. All that changes next year as we start to be the program loaded with experience and talented athletes.

Future - Coaching
In my opinion we would be crazy to change course here, the unfortunate reality though is there was a 3-2 BOE vote last year and the politics locally seem to be hard to predict to say the least. That is why I would like to see the HC and staff take some initiative first and right now before it is time for renewal identify some opportunities for improvement internally. Say to the AD and Administration here are some things we learned, here is what we are going to do different, make some positive internal moves to ensure everyone is committed, be part of the solution, and just generally speaking show everyone that the momentum in Ironman football is here and that they recognize there is always room for improvement whether it is a player or coach or staff. Be nice to have a 5-0 vote and everyone on board for what will be a great next season.

Future - Players
Well fellas, you better work hard not only with the team in off-season drills, but on your own as well because as an objective, casual observer, there are 20-25 kids (now not including what is coming) that have a lot of ability and playing time and positions for the next 3+ years are going to be hard to come by. Wow, a lot of talent 8-12. Better take nothing for granted guys because I believe there are literally 2-3 kids that could play about any spot on the field and you wouldn't even notice a difference except for a jersey number. It is a good problem to have for us fans lol because it translates to great seasons and the continuation of what I think is one of the best football programs in SE Ohio and beyond. There are some white letterman jackets in the future to be had here for sure, so bust your azz, and be part of the solution for a SEOAL Champion next year and a home game in Week #11.

Finally, I would like to thank Gallia fans for their $2 parking donation lol, as I work with some of them and they are constantly ragging me on our pay for parking policy lol. We will see you and your $2 in 2015 lol (maybe inflation and $3 by then).

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

ironman02 wrote:You guys on here are killing me.

Young football team, tons of injuries. Hall has won two SEOAL championships and went to the playoffs twice in his five seasons at Jackson, even winning a playoff game in 2011. I'm sure he would tell you himself that he's not a perfect coach because no one is. Coaches make mistakes, just like players do. The bottom line is this. The guy can coach, and so can his staff. There's no reason to start over and ruin what should be some great football seasons the next few years. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and here's mine. Quit complaining and appreciate the fact that you have one of the better football staffs in our part of the state.
All these posters should apply for the job .

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

doubleplay643 wrote:
Buckeye-4-Life wrote:I don't think the pee wee or jr high play the same caliber of opponents as the high school. You can't start comparing these classes until they all get through the program. I would think that next year you will see the varsity turn the corner with this young talent being a year older. Now after 3-4 years go by and the varsity record isn't any better then I think you could start with that argument.
Pretty good observation Buckeye. PeeWee wins against Huntington, Adena, Southeastern, Zane Trace and Vinton County are not comparable to Varsity games against the West Jeff's, Athens' and Wheelersburg's of the world. But by the same taken the group coming through is Jackson's best chance at a great "cycle" for the next 3-4 years for sure and if we don't make something out of it then Firecrackers' argument turns out to be valid and maybe something to consider.

At the end of the day we had a lot of 15 & 16 year olds (with some 14's and 17's sprinkled in) playing against pretty experienced West Jefferson and Wheelersburg teams.

Ironmen should catch up on the experience next year and still will be considered a "young" team with a good deal of sophomores and juniors filling in at key spots.
Thank you for being the first I've seen to state this. The kids in 3rd-6th grade are not facing the kids of the communities that they will face during their high school years....it's a silly comparison.

I believe our kids that enter junior high have spent way more hours, obtained hundreds of more reps, practiced against tougher competition and mixed with that most of their Dads hold football well above the other sports......and even though we have excellent junior high coaches......the communities around us will close the gap and catch up during the high school years. Just like in anything, if you are already at a high level....it takes a ton of work, study, practice and growth to keep improving. On the flip side if you are average or below average (especially because of experience/reps.....it's much easier to work your way up the ladder of play.

I'm always a bit skeptical of every "this is the group" year that Jackson has because they won the SB or dominated junior high....but what I do like about this group is they seem to be kids that have a knack for the game and also seem like football players with football instincts.

Also....we are a community of Welsh descendants, very common for us to have a bunch of good looking junior high football players walking around during the varsity games....but then when they are juniors and seniors they are still similar in size and often our best athletes are 5'10 kids. Go pick a sport at Lucasville Valley and attend one of their elementary sporting events. You'll see all these 6'2-6'4 Dads that still look very athletic.....their stud athletes now and down the road are going to have the size advantage....and if everything else is equal. Don't think our best team ever didn't have several of the non-traditional bodies all over both sides of the line, mixed with all the 5'10 kids with great sporting skills and also good genes AND they were weightroom freaks that spent so much time in there all year long. Jim Humphreys got rid of flag football in about 1986 and every year since and nearly 30 years later....it's been kept great and still going strong. At almost exactly the same time (1988) Larry Blackstone got the weightroom into a year round event and Jackson kids maybe weren't the biggest, but they were the strongest and that lasted a long long time, but I believe it not any where close to what is was for so long.....and it was a factor.

The good news.....I believe we have a good mix of everything coming up and Jackson football will be very good for as far as I can see back (current 2nd graders), but there are many many factors that go into it.

camnott
Varsity

Post by camnott »

I thought it was pretty sad that a senior running back doesn't get in until 130 left in the game.way to go coach!

Return to “Football”