Wheelersburg 42 Minford 13

Jesco White
S

Re: Week 8- Wheelersburg (7-0) vs. Minford (6-1)

Post by Jesco White »

nutronron2012 wrote:
Jesco White wrote:The game is on Time Warner now. At the half Burg had 195 yards and 10 first downs, while the Falcons had 23 yards (all rushing) and 1 first down.....per Time Warner
What channel?
311 and 1311

B0UNCE
Riding the Bench

Post by B0UNCE »

Falconfan09 your right and that's the point I'm saying the lack of being in the situation and then when you are put in it your not prepared. When you say Miller your correct again he is compared to none and the offense he is in for the past two years has prepared him in the situations of run an throw.

big_fella
Freshman Team

Post by big_fella »

Any QB should be able to throw outs they work on it every day in practice. He just doesn't want to stand tall in the pocket

B0UNCE
Riding the Bench

Post by B0UNCE »

Falconfan09 I agree with you, since everything is the same as It works in practice against JV squad compared to Varsity on Friday night. Just saying we haven't worked much on the pass then when we need it were not prepared in game time situations an the spread with Justice in the backfield would give more options with his quickness.

vladimir
S

Post by vladimir »

B0UNCE wrote:@Marshallman your exactly right. The Falcons weak schedule gave fake promise of the power run game of the Falcons. Its has been shut down by two SOC 2 teams filling the box and blitzing the gaps hitting our backs or pressuring the QB before anything can develop.

Well, I'm happy to see someone notices that non-conference scheduling does play a big role when you get into league play. Mental toughness and being able to handle adversity are learned from being put into situations where you have no choice other than to learn to handle adversity. It's a conditioned response. Only then, when you are in that same situation again, do you have the confidence to handle the adverse situation accordingly.

As Minfords strength of schedule, it is at the bottom 25% of Ohio, all divisions included. The scheduling or lack there of, gave a false promise of being able to handle these type of situations. That's the first thing that must be fixed or it going to be the same old story year after year. The reason why these kids are not winning the big games, is because their not in big games until they're in really big games.

First of all, about passing more and going to the spread. First, Minford needs to decide if they want to be a spread team or a wing-t team, they cannot be both and it's obvious to the reason why. Pounding the ball was starting to work, and as far as the wing -t goes, in the first half, don't think I noticed any Bucksweeps, Buckpowers, counters off the belly/ downs, or waggles. Minford defense did have a few 3 and outs in the first half, and you didn't see W'Burg panic and switch their offense and start running the Power-I, no they stuck with their system until it worked. The Minford offense really has no identity of which type of offense they want to run and it looks very frantic.

The run Marshallman is talking about was the counter off the belly that went for 60-yards, out of the Wing-t, and it took until the beginning of the 4th quarter, against W'burg 1st team D, to figure that out when that's supposed to be one of our base offense plays to begin with.
Last edited by vladimir on Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

vladimir
S

Post by vladimir »

Congrats to W'burg on the win. You have some nice receivers and a great QB. Although, I'm not completely sold you can get out of Region 17 with a championship, I do think you guys will win the SOCII crown. Also, I do think you will make it to the second round of the playoffs. St. Clairsville, Bishop Hartley, and Liberty Union are going to be tough.

jagered
JV Team

Post by jagered »

Wheelersburg leads the series 51-6 all time and I asked the same question about West a few weeks ago and I will say it till I die that the only true rivalry the Burg sweats year in and year out is Ironton.

vladimir
S

Post by vladimir »

That's pretty simple.... It's because Ironton is the only area program they have a losing record against and cannot consistently beat.

The rivalry with-in the SOCII schools comes from: Many of these communities have family members and co-workers that are intertwined. They see each other every day, are friends, and work together but for one Friday night, once a year they get to give each other hell. That's why the member SOCII schools, no matter what the records are, will always be rivals.

pappy
Freshman Team

Post by pappy »

burg looked good no if ans or buts about it

pappy
Freshman Team

Post by pappy »

burg looked good no if ans or buts about it

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

While I agree that Minford really does need to beef up their non conference schedule ans get rid of a team like Rock Hill, the rest of the NC wasn't all that bad. They had Portsmouth, same as the Burg. They had Oak Hill, which is a tough win here of late and will probably beat Ironton this year. They also had Grandview Heights, which is usually a good team, and they had Piketon which has been pretty good the past few seasons.

I honestly don't think that no matter who Minford had played in their first 7 games leading up to this one that it would have made a bit of difference in the outcome of this game. The Pirates were just way to strong on both sides of the ball for the Falcons to handle.

The Oaf
SEO

Post by The Oaf »

jagered wrote:Wheelersburg leads the series 51-6 all time and I asked the same question about West a few weeks ago and I will say it till I die that the only true rivalry the Burg sweats year in and year out is Ironton.
No one has beaten Wheelersburg more times in football than West. Not even Ironton, granted they haven't had as many chances and have a better % than West but nonetheless the fact remains.

BurgGrad
Riding the Bench

Post by BurgGrad »

I heard tonight the Ironton is dropping the Burg. Any truth to that?[/quote]

This year was the first year of a new 3 year contract with them. Don't know after that.

mglight88
SE

Post by mglight88 »

Congrats to Wheelersburg, great crowd on hand in Minford. Falcons need to regroup and play well the remaining 2 games. I although feel bad for Minford even with a 6-2 record as the Falcons sit 14th in the region in Division IV. In Div V, Minford would be sitting 7th with their current point avg and 6th in D VI. There are (3) 5-3 teams ahead of Minford in pts. CRAZY. However, still a good season for the Falcons.

jagered
JV Team

Post by jagered »

Sometimes ya just don't have the Thoroughbreds and after watching this game on Tv it was pretty clear who had them and who didn't. congrats to Burg and Minford will probably end up 7-3 so still a nice season or them as well.

Hitops2.0
Varsity

Post by Hitops2.0 »

Vladimir, i am curious as to who you want minford to schedule that will make them a better team against wheelersburg or any team for that matter ...minfords team i think has 13 or so seniors this year and have played wheelersburg for 4 yrs now with those same kids ....now i dont know the record over those 4 yrs cause i dont care ...but it seems to me that wheelersburg is a pretty good team every year ...and minford plays them every year so this particular team should know every year that this is a BIG GAME ....and they should be prepared .....so with that being said....it doesnt matter who is on the schedule , you still have to have the better athletes and better execution and better speed to win any game no matter who the opponent ...so i really dont know who you want them to schedule ....it seems to me going 2 to 4 hrs away for a game against so called better opponents is moot when they cant beat the BETTER opponents in this conference .

Minford is small D4 right now and getting beat by small D5 and D6, Beat them first and then and then talk about scheduling up

TheNatural
Riding the Bench

Post by TheNatural »

I see a whole lot of questioning and second guessing in Minford. I see that they need to be able to throw the ball more often and better. I see they need to schedule up. Is it possible that sometimes it just isn't your year?

nutronron2012
All State

Post by nutronron2012 »

Watching the Burg/Minford game on time warner and I am not impressed by either team. Burg doing what they have to do and Minford just looks very slow. Can't wait till Friday.

vladimir
S

Post by vladimir »

@HiTops: Not to get on here and sound like Paladin, but thanks for proving my point that most SEO teams are willing to accept mediocrity and have the big fish in a small pond out look. Mark this down, there will not be an area team win a regional title just like the past decade. Wheelersburg will not make it past the second round and Valley could make it to the regional championship, but that's it.

If you look at the area teams that have played in the state let's use Ironton, W'burg (Hall era), and West.

Ironton has always played a very competitive schedule and has the hardware to prove it.

W'burg under Larry Hall in the 1990s, he was going out and picking teams up like Martins Ferry, Newark Catholic, St. Clairsville, Hamilton Badin, Bishop Ready, Cincinnati Reading, and I also believe he played Coldwater one year, didn't he? All the while having Ironton as his first game. And guess what else? When is the last time W'burg won a regional championships? You guessed it, it was under Larry Hall.

Portsmouth West: 2000-2002 Played Kenton for the state championship, and was told they get demolished in the state semis by Youngstown Ursline because they were too small and too slow. West was playing teams like Bellaire, Cincinnai Reading, etc.

With Minford last night, how many procedure and off-sides infractions did you see on a 2 and less than 5, when rushing the ball was starting to work? When Minford played West earlier this year, same silly penalties, no mental discipline.

Good luck to whomever you cheer for but enjoy it while it lasts b/c in a month from now you'll be watching HS basketball.

Hitops2.0
Varsity

Post by Hitops2.0 »

Vladimir wrote:@HiTops: Not to get on here and sound like Paladin, but thanks for proving my point that most SEO teams are willing to accept mediocrity and have the big fish in a small pond out look. Mark this down, there will not be an area team win a regional title just like the past decade. Wheelersburg will not make it past the second round and Valley could make it to the regional championship, but that's it.

If you look at the area teams that have played in the state let's use Ironton, W'burg (Hall era), and West.

Ironton has always played a very competitive schedule and has the hardware to prove it.

W'burg under Larry Hall in the 1990s, he was going out and picking teams up like Martins Ferry, Newark Catholic, St. Clairsville, Hamilton Badin, Bishop Ready, Cincinnati Reading, and I also believe he played Coldwater one year, didn't he? All the while having Ironton as his first game. And guess what else? When is the last time W'burg won a regional championships? You guessed it, it was under Larry Hall.

Portsmouth West: 2000-2002 Played Kenton for the state championship, and was told they get demolished in the state semis by Youngstown Ursline because they were too small and too slow. West was playing teams like Bellaire, Cincinnai Reading, etc.

With Minford last night, how many procedure and off-sides infractions did you see on a 2 and less than 5, when rushing the ball was starting to work? When Minford played West earlier this year, same silly penalties, no mental discipline.

Good luck to whomever you cheer for but enjoy it while it lasts b/c in a month from now you'll be watching HS basketball.

What your stating has nothing to do with scheduling .....it has to do with execution of game plan ....and when wheelersburg was doing all that they had a way bigger enrollment and WAY BIGGER players ....and they EXECUTED well ....you still have to execute the plays to beat whoever is on your schedule .....minford doesnt execute well and they will be lucky to beat waverly or whoever they play ....today Iowa is execting the game plan better than the buckeyes ....but overall the big ten is down on talent ....you have to beat the teams on your schedule period ....

Return to “Football”