What's next for the SEOAL?

doubleplay643
S

Re: What's next for the SEOAL?

Post by doubleplay643 »

The only sport Jackson doesn't "fit" real well in is football if you are talking about SOCII.

And even in football Burg owned us last couple years which probably means Valley and others would have competed nicely as well. One thing is there would be a lot of points available if we were lucky enough to get an invite.

That being said I doubt it happens, but you could make a darn good case for it in terms of gates, travel and competition.

If you set aside football, what sports wouldn't Burg, Valley, Minford, West and Waverly compete in well against us? And there will be a lot of years where that competition would be just as equal in football.

oneoak
Varsity

Post by oneoak »

Don't forget that it isn't just Burg, Valley, Minford, West and Waverly in the other sports besides football. Northwest, Oak Hill and South Webster all play in the SOC II for most other sports including girls sports.

noles_fan
S

Post by noles_fan »

Dundas wrote:Looks like Gallia Academy has shoved the dagger into the SEOAL. Maybe the 3 remaiming teams. Can pull a school in from another league? Chillicothe, Athens, Waverly, Point Pleasant??
I don't understand why people keep bringing up Waverly as possible fit for the SEOAL. Waverly isn't a good fit anymore. They have dropped to D-5 and don't have the numbers to compete with those bigger schools. They finished 0-4 in the SOC this year against all school the same size. Why jump up and play all D-3 schools?

noles_fan
S

Post by noles_fan »

doubleplay643 wrote:The only sport Jackson doesn't "fit" real well in is football if you are talking about SOCII.

And even in football Burg owned us last couple years which probably means Valley and others would have competed nicely as well. One thing is there would be a lot of points available if we were lucky enough to get an invite.

That being said I doubt it happens, but you could make a darn good case for it in terms of gates, travel and competition.

If you set aside football, what sports wouldn't Burg, Valley, Minford, West and Waverly compete in well against us? And there will be a lot of years where that competition would be just as equal in football.
If it was just the SOCII schools voting on it they might have a chance. But every School in the SOC has to vote which means Green, East,ND, SouthWebster Northwest, OakHill,SymmesValley and now Eastern all get votes. This is one of the reasons Ironton and Portsmouth couldn't get in.

doubleplay643
S

Post by doubleplay643 »

South Webster has done well against us in girls volleyball as has Eastern as has Waverly.

Oak Hill baseball competes against us, etc. etc. I am not arguing just putting it out there that Jackson isn't dominant by any means over the smaller schools in non-football sports.

Last sport we win state title in is golf (individual not team) and girl's long jump (individual).

Meanwhile, South Webster, Oak Hill in basketball have made runs at state level and I am probably leaving out successes at Eastern just because I don't follow their basketball or volleyball programs.

I make no bones I realize it won't happen, but being a bigger school hasn't really translated to success in non-football sports when we have played these other schools in non-league contests.

For what it is worth lol, think we may be better fit than some would think. I will stop now lol.

OVCFan2
Freshman Team

Post by OVCFan2 »

What will Logan's move be since the league is about to be terminated?

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

Ultron wrote:What will Logan's move be since the league is about to be terminated?

No one wants them so unless a league changes their mind, Logan will be independent.

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

Orange and Brown wrote:
Ultron wrote:What will Logan's move be since the league is about to be terminated?

No one wants them so unless a league changes their mind, Logan will be independent.
Logan will be fine any move they make. Myself, I think independent would be a better choice "anyways" in the near future.

billcox
Varsity

Post by billcox »

I personally think it would benefit Jackson to go independent in football. It would give them a chance to schedule games against high level opponents which would help the program continue its development. Playing games with the likes of Teays Valley, Hamilton Township, Circleville to name a few is very doable.
Last edited by billcox on Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

Logan has great tradition, always puts a quality team on the field, has a beautiful stadium, travels well...who wouldn't want a school like that in their conference .

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

Viking96 wrote:Logan has great tradition, always puts a quality team on the field, has a beautiful stadium, travels well...who wouldn't want a school like that in their conference .
Central Ohio schools don't want to travel to Hocking County. Doesn't matter if it is all Highway or not. When all your league games are pretty close together, Logan seems like a long drive.
That's why the MSL has turned them down twice and the OVC won't give them the time of day.

If the MVL were to expand and split into divisions, Logan would have a shot there.

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

Orange and Brown wrote:
Viking96 wrote:Logan has great tradition, always puts a quality team on the field, has a beautiful stadium, travels well...who wouldn't want a school like that in their conference .
Central Ohio schools don't want to travel to Hocking County. Doesn't matter if it is all Highway or not. When all your league games are pretty close together, Logan seems like a long drive.
That's why the MSL has turned them down twice and the OVC won't give them the time of day.

If the MVL were to expand and split into divisions, Logan would have a shot there.
Athens , vc, nelsonville , Alex , wouldn't be bad at all, neither would Meigs or wellston really

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

An all 4-lane is in the mix...........no more than a few miles off a 4-lane............go SEOAL

chiefs
Varsity

Post by chiefs »

So, to preface, the OCC is re-aligning. Lancaster's part removed the two teams Logan could've competed with: Groveport and Newark.

The other thing to consider is the OCC does not want a school that is forced to invoke an unusually high number of snow days namely due to the implications for basketball season. Logan-Hocking is one of those districts. It's a similar reason to why the MSL does not have, and will not have, a Perry County school in it's league.

DiEsEl
Waterboy

Post by DiEsEl »

Logans best fit would be the MSL. I can't comprehend how much driving Logan athletics does now with conference they are in. I heard some games are 5 hours or more round trip and the same for those schools going to Logan.

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

Logan will be fine. The SEOAL will be around until one of the last 3 leave. May yet turn it around with an addition or two. Independent status also is doable. Logan will be in a league or an expanded SEOAL. Too attractive not to be.

doubleplay643
S

Post by doubleplay643 »

Paladin wrote:Logan will be fine. The SEOAL will be around until one of the last 3 leave. May yet turn it around with an addition or two. Independent status also is doable. Logan will be in a league or an expanded SEOAL. Too attractive not to be.
Paladin, we have obviously not agreed on much, not that that is a big deal, but we both do like the SEOAL. Perhaps it is our age lol, or a soft spot for the tradition or history or nostalgia or whatever you want to call it when we participated many, many moons ago.

But tell me (and I am not being argumentative) exactly what is attractive about the SEOAL? Logan and Jackson are similar sized programs, some of the larger around and there is no one, I repeat no one that finds the SEOAL attractive or they be in it.

Chillicothe, Athens, Meigs, VC, and Gallia (gone now) are about the only schools within an hour or so if you consider SE Ohio that are similarly sized. Each of them quite frankly has a better deal if you look at it from their perspective.

Is Marietta or Point Pleasnant really great options for us, or is there just no one left to ask but them?

In 2016 we are looking at a 3-school league...2 league games and 8 non-league games. We both know that isn't going to work. Logan probably has more of an option than we do. MVL looks like a good place to land, that will probably happen. Jackson (unless SOC or SCOL) throws us a bone is most likely looking at being an independent for a while.

It is unfortunate, but both of our nostalgia for the "old and venerable" SEOAL is about to be something we talk of in past tense...literally.

doubleplay643
S

Post by doubleplay643 »

I just realized you meant Logan was to attractive not to be in a league, not the SEOAL was too attractive lol.

I agree Logan is attractive and will get picked up.

Sorry about that lol.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

doubleplay643 wrote:
Paladin wrote:Logan will be fine. The SEOAL will be around until one of the last 3 leave. May yet turn it around with an addition or two. Independent status also is doable. Logan will be in a league or an expanded SEOAL. Too attractive not to be.
Paladin, we have obviously not agreed on much, not that that is a big deal, but we both do like the SEOAL. Perhaps it is our age lol, or a soft spot for the tradition or history or nostalgia or whatever you want to call it when we participated many, many moons ago.

But tell me (and I am not being argumentative) exactly what is attractive about the SEOAL? Logan and Jackson are similar sized programs, some of the larger around and there is no one, I repeat no one that finds the SEOAL attractive or they be in it.

Chillicothe, Athens, Meigs, VC, and Gallia (gone now) are about the only schools within an hour or so if you consider SE Ohio that are similarly sized. Each of them quite frankly has a better deal if you look at it from their perspective.

Is Marietta or Point Pleasnant really great options for us, or is there just no one left to ask but them?

In 2016 we are looking at a 3-school league...2 league games and 8 non-league games. We both know that isn't going to work. Logan probably has more of an option than we do. MVL looks like a good place to land, that will probably happen. Jackson (unless SOC or SCOL) throws us a bone is most likely looking at being an independent for a while.

It is unfortunate, but both of our nostalgia for the "old and venerable" SEOAL is about to be something we talk of in past tense...literally.

Marietta would be good but not Point.....Heard Marietta does not like the trip to Gallipolis so they wouldn't go for Point. Park South would be better for Logan, Warren and Marietta . Jackson can get on a 4-lane to Marietts Warren and South. If Athens would come back it would be a good fit for travel too. With South, Marietta, Warren, Athens, Logan and Jackson you wouldn't have to go far off a 4-lane....[heard a old wise man tell me this]

LetsGoPSU
SE

Post by LetsGoPSU »

cant believe it has come to this.If these schools need to be independent , puytting together a slate each season would be darn near impossible

Return to “Football”