Re: Shout out to the Refs of the Athens-Fairland game

Post by vctransplant »

Wow what a thread.

doubleplay643
S

Post by doubleplay643 »

vctransplant wrote:Wow what a thread.
From refs, to points taken off board, to size of school, to number of players on Varsity, to number of players from Varsity and Freshmen, to are the coaches teachers...and at end of the day...dang it man Athens is on a run for next year and half at least.

Athens is good this year and will score lots of points through week 11. After that week 12 and beyond is when we will see if they fulfill the Paladin prophecy or if they are good at a top regional level and beyond.

Next thread please.

Willy Cheatem
Riding the Bench

Post by Willy Cheatem »

Fortdawg wrote:The last 2 years I have watched official after official be, just if not more, concerned that a coach has a toe on the field than they are in what's happening with the players. It was refreshing last night to watch the Fairland coaches go out past the numbers play after play. They weren't involved in slowing or hindering play---just coaching. The game was fun to watch. It would be nice if they went back to letting coaches coach.
Thanks for the kind words. I had this game along with uncle Gunna, sister Shirwy, brothers Howy and Dewy. It was a great game and those touchdowns called back was some good calls. Prolly best calls we made all year. That one was the best coach Homolka ever saw, cuz thats what he told me when I throwed the flag right after he screamed "THAT THERE'S HOLDIN" in my ear when he was standing by me on the hash mark. So I know it was a good call cause he don't lie. Dewy said to tell the Athens coaches he sorry for making you stay back in the box but thats what Gunna told him to do. He said he will tell you himself this week cuz we have the game at Wellston too. :lol:
Last edited by Willy Cheatem on Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dragonsfan24
JV Team

Post by dragonsfan24 »

BlizzardMan wrote: It's not everyone elses fault that every stinking town in Lawrence County has to have their own school district.
Every stinking town in Lawrence County hasn't had their own school district in over 50 years.

In fact, 3 of the 7 high schools in Lawrence County were formed via consolidation, and none of the schools in the county only serve the city/town where the school is located.
Fairland not only has kids from Rome (where the school is located) and Proctorville (the mailing address) but also Athalia, Miller, Crown City, and Scottown.

eagle25
JV Team

Post by eagle25 »

Fortdawg wrote:The last 2 years I have watched official after official be, just if not more, concerned that a coach has a toe on the field than they are in what's happening with the players. It was refreshing last night to watch the Fairland coaches go out past the numbers play after play. They weren't involved in slowing or hindering play---just coaching. The game was fun to watch. It would be nice if they went back to letting coaches coach.
:aaaaa8 :aaaaa8 :aaaaa8 :aaaaa8 :aaaaa8 :aaaaa8 :aaaaa8 :aaaaa8 :aaaaa8 :aaaaa8 :aaaaa8 :aaaaa8 :aaaaa8 :aaaaa8 :aaaaa8 :aaaaa8 :aaaaa8 :aaaaa8 :aaaaa8 :aaaaa8 :aaaaa115

camnott
Varsity

Post by camnott »

I'm an Ironmen fan but good luck to both clubs the rest of the way. And I will say that when we played Athens in the playoffs a few years ago the fans were great the hospitality was great and I didn't hear anything bad on the field.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

camnott wrote:I'm an Ironmen fan but good luck to both clubs the rest of the way. And I will say that when we played Athens in the playoffs a few years ago the fans were great the hospitality was great and I didn't hear anything bad on the field.
This group at Athens has played 18 games together - and I've never heard a bad thing about them - only positive ... except one incident I guess (Fairland)
The group down at Meigs has been praised for their sportsmanship under the leadership of head coach Mike Bartrum ... one incident? vs Fairland.

I'm no genius but there seems to be a common dominator their.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

You're Tiger Bait wrote:i'd like to see ironton and Athens lacing it back up in the future.
I heard they are playing next year, but also heard playing Zanesville. Athens got dropped by Jackson, Watkins, and Fairland for next year. They have to add river valley(god help them), so two open dates. Ironton and Athens 2015 will be a fun game, Athens top receiver will play QB. Be some hard hitting. A 8 to 6 game

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Athens still won pretty easy. Was always a 20 point difference. ppl got mad that the refs took away from Burrow's and Wiseman's state record breaking night. Burrow's 10 throwing tds and Wiseman's 7 tds catches. Athens has all the rb records from Hubert bobo, like to have some passing records too

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

RAIDER6309 wrote:Athens has all the rb records from Hubert bobo, like to have some passing records too
being a Chauncey native - I take offense to that.

Athens has zero RB records ... the Chauncey Blue Devils however have a ton.

:mrgreen:

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

93Bulldog wrote:
RAIDER6309 wrote:Athens has all the rb records from Hubert bobo, like to have some passing records too
being a Chauncey native - I take offense to that.

Athens has zero RB records ... the Chauncey Blue Devils however have a ton.

I thought u were a plains native like me. Wish the plains still had a school. Burrow would be QB. Where the Athens athletes are from. Athens wall in the gym looks like they went to state a lot. One baseball and one golf is Athens. Rest are the plains and Chauncey, with 3 state titles

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

I would in fact be a C-Town native RAIDER6309 ... just live in The Plains now ... my dad was a Plains Indian, mom a Chauncey Blue Devil, and I graduated from Athens ... I guess I'm a mix of all three ... 93dog, 93mut, whatever works is fine ... plus I went to East Elementary which makes it even more confusing ...

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

So rusty can say u got a lil rudder in u

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

RAIDER6309 wrote:So rusty can say u got a lil rudder in u
Now that's funny ... and yes, he will say that from time to time.

NYBUX
Varsity

Post by NYBUX »

93Bulldog wrote:The roster we received from Fairland had 41 players listed.
The roster for Athens has 42 players.

I don't care how many boys you have in your school ... I care how many can run, pass, catch and tackle ... Athens had 42 "football players" - Fairland had "41 football players" - and that's all that matters.

SOOOO Athens don't list thier Freshmen like all of the smaller schools do and then they want to compare NUMBERS...

ARE YOU KIDDING ME ????????

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

o.k. add the 16 or 17 freshmen then ... Athens has 59 on its roster.

Does it really matter?

Only 15 or 16 players play for Athens - the rest just stand their on the sideline.
Only 15 or 16 players played for Fairland - the rest just stood their on the sideline.

where is the advantage or what is the point? Everyone makes a big deal about the # of boys in each school, or how many players this team has or how many that team has ... so long as your up around 30 and have enough to construct competitive practices day in and day out - what really matters is the ones who play in the games Friday night ... and the last time I checked each team can only put 11 in the game at one time.

urban buck
Varsity

Post by urban buck »

Its not rocket science. If you have that many more players to choose from, odds are you are going to get more natural athletes to help you compete. What that has to do with the refs who knows

M0TIVAT0R
All Conference

Post by M0TIVAT0R »

urban buck wrote:Its not rocket science. If you have that many more players to choose from, odds are you are going to get more natural athletes to help you compete. What that has to do with the refs who knows
Exactly! Choosing 11 from 270 gives you a much better chance of getting good ones than choosing 11 from 100 does. It is up to the coach to get the best 11 to play football. If this were not the case there would be no reason for 7 divisions in football.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

93Bulldog wrote:o.k. add the 16 or 17 freshmen then ... Athens has 59 on its roster.

Does it really matter?

Only 15 or 16 players play for Athens - the rest just stand their on the sideline.
Only 15 or 16 players played for Fairland - the rest just stood their on the sideline.

where is the advantage or what is the point? Everyone makes a big deal about the # of boys in each school, or how many players this team has or how many that team has ... so long as your up around 30 and have enough to construct competitive practices day in and day out - what really matters is the ones who play in the games Friday night ... and the last time I checked each team can only put 11 in the game at one time.
Numbers do matter some.
They don't tell the whole story but they still matter some.

At Miller or Eastern they may have 2 kids competing for a starting spot and at Athens or Jackson they may have 4 kids competing for that spot.
That makes a BIG difference come game time.

M0TIVAT0R
All Conference

Post by M0TIVAT0R »

Orange and Brown wrote:
93Bulldog wrote:o.k. add the 16 or 17 freshmen then ... Athens has 59 on its roster.

Does it really matter?

Numbers do matter some.
They don't tell the whole story but they still matter some.

At Miller or Eastern they may have 2 kids competing for a starting spot and at Athens or Jackson they may have 4 kids competing for that spot.
That makes a BIG difference come game time.
And even more likely at Miller and Eastern they have one legitimate varsity player in several positions with no real competition, while, as you said, Athens and Jackson may have 4. Those other 3 varsity level players at each position at Athens and Jackson can make up your scout team in practice where Miller and Eastern don't have that luxury.

Return to “Football”