3 weeks in....Best Conference so far?

Crab's Brother
SEO

3 weeks in....Best Conference so far?

Post by Crab's Brother »

We now have 3 weeks in the books in HS football and it is probably fair to start looking at the strength of the leagues around southeast Ohio. I am not completely sure on the "official" list of conferences covered on SEOPS but for the purpose of this thread I will use these:

SEOAL
SOC I
SOC II
OVC
SVC
PVC
TVC-Hocking
TVC-Ohio
SCO

I am sorry if I missed one but this is what I am going with. Here are the records so far for the leagues:

SEOAL (7-8)
SOC I (10-5)
SOC II (12-6)
OVC (5-13)
SVC (7-17)
PVC (8-13)
TVC-Hocking (15-12)
TVC-Ohio (10-8)
SCO (15-6)

It would be hard to argue that the South Central Ohio has been the best league so far. The conference has 4 unbeaten teams including the defending state champions, Clinton Massie. Chillicothe has a couple of nice wins as does Miami Trace. This league is one of the bigger leagues, but also probably the best.

I would say that the SOC II would be next. They have 3 very strong teams in Wheelersburg, Minford, and Valley. Northwest has improved and West is probably a little better than the 0-3 record would indicate.

You can move around the other leagues a bit, but as far as the worst league goes, it would be a very close race between the OVC and SVC. Both the conferences are way down and there are some bad teams in those two leagues.

I would rank them:

1. SCO
2. SOC II
3. SEOAL
4. TVC-Ohio
5. TVC-Hocking
6. SOC-I
7. PVC
8. OVC
9. SVC

Agree? Disagree? How far am I off?

4thgoal
SEOPS

Re: 3 weeks in....Best Conference so far?

Post by 4thgoal »

Good summary.....I think you are right on the money with what we have seen so far.

warrior90
Varsity

Post by warrior90 »

I like your rankings. Might be one of the only times SEOAL is ahead of TVC in anything this year. I think TVC Ohio's top team is better than any team out there but they seem to fall off fast behind Athens. Maybe SOC 1 ahead of TVC Hocking but that is only nit picking. Good question though!!

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

SOC I ahead of the Hocking?

Trimble (3-0), Southern (3-0) and Wahama (2-1) ends that argument.

:)

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

I'll take the TVC-Ohio ahead of the SEOAL this year ... Athens 62, Gallia 19 ... top team vs top team ... you can make a case for that.

We'll wait and see how Nelsonville-York vs Logan and Meigs vs Warren goes ... if the Bucks and Marauders win - its a done deal ... especially if Athens beats Jackson Friday.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

warrior90 wrote:I like your rankings. Might be one of the only times SEOAL is ahead of TVC in anything this year. I think TVC Ohio's top team is better than any team out there but they seem to fall off fast behind Athens. Maybe SOC 1 ahead of TVC Hocking but that is only nit picking. Good question though!!
I think Wahama and Trimble are enough to say the Hocking is better than SOC I. I think the bottom of the SOC I may be a tad better, but at the top it goes to the Hocking.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

South Gallia did beat Sciotoville already ... so I'm not even sure about the bottom either.

But week 5: Southern vs Symmes Valley will be interesting.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

93Bulldog wrote:I'll take the TVC-Ohio ahead of the SEOAL this year ... Athens 62, Gallia 19 ... top team vs top team ... you can make a case for that.

We'll wait and see how Nelsonville-York vs Logan and Meigs vs Warren goes ... if the Bucks and Marauders win - its a done deal ... especially if Athens beats Jackson Friday.
If we are going on that then the Ohio is in a tie with the SCO as I think Massie and Athens are better than anyone around. However, after Athens, the Ohio is just not very good. Nelsonville is down. Meigs may be solid but they lost to Fairland, who was pounded by Gallia. Vinton County has improved but I just don't see it. Just going down the teams, I think I would take the SEOAL.

noles_fan
S

Post by noles_fan »

You have to judge the conference from top to bottom to get a true gauge on a poll like this. Very good information though.

domain master
Freshman Team

Post by domain master »

Nice assessment, looks about right. SCOL Clinton-Massie is in a league of their own, good chance to repeat as State champs along with MT, Chilly, McClain,WCH picking up some nice wins. Wilmington joins next year which will make this league even better. Also, noticed in basketball Wilmington has the #3 SG in class of 2016 and #8 PG in the class of 2015 in the state, per triple double ranking.

Return to “Football”