Athens (3-0) vs Jackson (2-1)

Auburntgrfan
All Conference

Re: Athens (3-0) vs Jackson (2-1)

Post by Auburntgrfan »

After seeing the Bulldogs last Friday. Athens closer than you might think. No blowout at Warren, first pick for Burroughs and could have been two. Athens has team speed. And that will take them to the win.

baller99
Riding the Bench

Post by baller99 »

Jackson was unprepared for this game was over before it started jackson looked confused blown assignments gave athens 21 point lead.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Say Jackson's coach next time will send a tape. Dont wanna make Athens offense mad. Over after 5 minutes. Good dominant win for Athens

A-Town Big Dog
S

Post by A-Town Big Dog »

Congratulations to the Athens Bulldogs on a very impressive showing this evening. Athens played their best game to date tonight in my opinion, Athens did have one turnover in the game but drastically cut down on penalties compared to the first few weeks. Athens was very solid on both sides of the ball with the offense putting up 47 of the 49 points and the defense recording their first shutout of the season. Athens racked up 500 total yards and held Jackson to 299. Jackson has some good talent on their team but they just seemed to make big mistakes at critical times early in the game. Jackson had chances on three consecutive possessions in the 2nd quarter(two of which started inside the Athens 30) to score points but turned the ball over on downs once and fumbling the ball on the other two chances. Jackson has some tough opponents remaining on their schedule but they certainly have some wins remaining. Good luck and good health to the Ironmen the rest of the way.

baller99
Riding the Bench

Post by baller99 »

Athens played well seem to understand game plan and executed it well Jackson seems to be lost defense not ready when ball snapped confusion on whats defense is called offense line not sure who to block so they watch and pass patterns for 3 yards when they need 6. Look as bad as team could look if something don't change gonna bad week next week at least we don't have to here that canon go off

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

Athens is everything I thought they were. Great football team that is gonna go 10-0 and make another playoff run. Good luck to them.

Posting from my phone, so I'll have more to say about the Ironmen later this weekend, but obviously they need to learn from their mistakes and work to get better. Six weeks left.

doubleplay643
S

Post by doubleplay643 »

Jackson has lost in consecutive weeks to two teams (West Jefferson and Athens) that will go 19-1 in regular season and each be in their respective regional semi's or finals, and after next week we will have played three teams consecutively that will be very likely a combined 29-1 in regular season. Wheelersburg clearly has a shot to run the table for a perfect season and play in week 11 and 12.

So given that I don't have a problem losing in this 3 game stretch, the problem is not competing better, and last night was our worst performance to date.

Defensively we were not prepared for what Athens was doing. Their was a good deal of confusion on a lot of plays and I know that Athens pace and style makes that happen but we can do better than that, and clearly everyone wants to do better.

Offensively, I counted 8 and 9 guys in the box, with that many defensive players 5 yards from the ball, we are not going to be overly successful unless we are just tremendously bigger and tremendously stronger than every other team we play, which given our personnel this year we are just simply not. If we are going to insist on that style of play then we have to realize the consequences that every team recognizes that and at some point defends it just like Athens this week and WJ last week.

I hope all the fans, parents, coaches and kids stay positive up through next week, as I said we are playing three teams that will be a combined 29-1 (the one loss being West Jeff losing to defending state champions Marion Local) and all three ranked high in their region and 2 of the 3 ranked in the state, and each will have a good chance of playing in their regional final. Keep working hard kids and coaches, don't let there be any cracks in your confidence, your goal is now 8-2 and a SEOAL title, represent yourselves well, do not listen to any negatives that will surely flow from this. Stay the course, Go Big Red.
Last edited by doubleplay643 on Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

Wheelersburg is the 3rd best team in their league. But yes, very tough 3-game run for the young Ironmen.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

This game was ugly quick. I thought Athens would beat the pretty bad but I didn't expect it to be over in the first quarter.

baller99
Riding the Bench

Post by baller99 »

Jackson upgraded thier schedule and this is what happens we you play top teams. I did see kids play hard make mistakes yes but they played hard and coachs caught it from me and other fans but that's part of it you could see that Andy hates to lose as much as me or any other competitor just keep coaching team is young. What I think let get back to if your not the AD or a coach get off the sidelines only supporter left from administration at end of game was Bob Kight on side lines you just don't get to be down there when things are great so if your not coaching or the AD time to get off the side of the field or stay the entire game. Coachs and boys have earned the right to be down there so take a seat in the stands let the coaches and boy have what they earned

Ironman6452
Waterboy

Post by Ironman6452 »

You might say that Jackson upgraded their schedule but I think you'll find that historically Jackson has beaten Athens more often than not. Wheelersburg is an upgrade from Vinton Co. and they are always tough but again, most years we could play with them. A lot of it has to do with the fact that Jackson has played two senior laden teams while they have two seniors that play much. We'll see what happens next year my friend.

85cruiser
Riding the Bench

Post by 85cruiser »

I wouldn't say Athens Is a senior laden team having only 6 or 7 seniors on the team and a some of those rotate in and out every game. Athens is a talent laden team across the board of mostly juniors, they are not the biggest, strongest and fastest at every position compared to other teams in SEO but they have played together since 3rd and 4th grades, so they do know each others strengths and weakness. Athens has been on the upswing for awhile just like any other school has it's up and down swings.

bengals01
JV Team

Post by bengals01 »

85cruiser wrote:I wouldn't say Athens Is a senior laden team having only 6 or 7 seniors on the team and a some of those rotate in and out every game. Athens is a talent laden team across the board of mostly juniors, they are not the biggest, strongest and fastest at every position compared to other teams in SEO but they have played together since 3rd and 4th grades, so they do know each others strengths and weakness. Athens has been on the upswing for awhile just like any other school has it's up and down swings.
i dont know about other teams but Athens has been on about a 10 TO 12 Year swing on talent sence the late 60's in sports. in the next few years we might be wondering whats wrong with Athens so less enjoy this know

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Athens are juniors and sophomores. This is the best Athens team since 64 or 72. Three d1 football players from one class. U don't see that in SEO. Next year they will be even better

firecracker
Riding the Bench

Post by firecracker »

I think the team needs to reform the way it runs offense and really look at if they have the best players in the right positions. I look at the sideline, I see a senior whom weights 275lbs, and I look at a sophmore who starts at tackle at 180lbs. The few times this senior gets in, he moves people like he is a bulldozer, and this isn't the only positions that I've seen replacements come in and completely dominate the people they are blocking. I also see it on defense, a young freshman who keeps slipping through the line and making tackles in the backfield. I know Jackson likes to milk the clock, but why do it if you cannot even score? It would be differnt if the team was up by a few scores. Jackson needs to learn to hit them hard, and fast.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

RAIDER6309 wrote:Athens are juniors and sophomores. This is the best Athens team since 64 or 72. Three d1 football players from one class. U don't see that in SEO. Next year they will be even better
Are these major Div. I colleges?

baller99
Riding the Bench

Post by baller99 »

[quote="noreply66"][quote="RAIDER6309"]Athens are juniors and sophomores. This is the best Athens team since 64 or 72. Three d1 football players from one class. U don't see that in SEO. Next year they will be even better[/quote]

Are these major Div. I colleges?[/quote]

Qb is major d1 has all the tools with 6'4" height

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

The QB will go to an elite program. I'm guessing Nebraska. Dad coached on national title teams. Brothers were all Americans there. But Ohio state, Alabama, Tennessee, and auburn have talked to him. The rb and wide receiver will play at a MAC school. But these kids still have another year. The 6'5 wide receiver has gotten so much better.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

I thought Larry Hall was a defensive mastermind. Yet that defense gives it up like a cheap woman with a bottle of Bartles and James.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

I thought Larry Hall was a defensive mastermind. Yet that defense gives it up like a cheap woman with a bottle of Bartles and James.

Return to “Football”