Re: Trimble - Athens Jamboree Game

Post by Orange and Brown »

Friday 8/23 7:00pm

@Athens

gridiron fan
Riding the Bench

Post by gridiron fan »

What is the cost to get into this jamboree?

bigblue allday
Freshman Team

Post by bigblue allday »

Good question. What is the price or is it a donation like some scrimmages

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

I believe it was free last year ...

bigblue allday
Freshman Team

Post by bigblue allday »

Athens 20 Trimble 21. Both teams look tough. Got to be the 2 best teams in the county. Probably would have been a shoot out if it went all 4 quarters. Good showing from both teams. Make Athens county proud this year boys

The Enforcer
SEO

Post by The Enforcer »

Congrats to the Tomcats!!

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

Trimble will be a D7 State contender

wrestler87
Freshman Team

Post by wrestler87 »

It's about time our Cats earned a spot on the State Map! Too many woulda-coulda-shouldas.

A-Town Big Dog
S

Post by A-Town Big Dog »

Trimble looked really good on both sides of the ball and will be more than a challenge to any team they play this year. If they can stay healthy the Cats could go pretty deep into the playoffs again this season. Standley had a really good showing both on the ground and with his arm and really hides the ball well on the bootleg. Athens did exactly what I expected, they only ran 5 or 6 different plays on offense with no read option or QB draw plays that were a staple of the offense last season in an effort to keep Burrow healthy. Trae Williams had some nice runs and the O-line did pretty well against a really good Trimble D-line, the defense disappointed me a bit with what I would consider below average tackling, players were in position but didn't wrap up also Trae and Vandervin (not sure on spelling) were in good coverage position at the corners but lost the ball in the air on a few big plays that really should have been broken up at worse. Overall I would grade Athens out around a C. Good luck to both teams next week in their openers!

Texastomcats
Freshman Team

Post by Texastomcats »

93Bulldog wrote:I believe it was free last year ...
I'm a lil disappointed that u had to pay $5.00 I hope u split that with Trimble! We need it way more than u guys do! I thought that was very poor on Athens part!

Gecko
Varsity

Post by Gecko »

Tomcats never ran their QB either. I feel the cats should have won 35-20. Two times the cats were in the red zone and didn't score.
Athens has a nice offense. I cant believe the cats played a 5-3 against the spread of athens and other than a few plays did really well.
Athens running back is very shifty and boy can he fly. Trimble is passing the ball really well this year and if that keeps up. Look out it will be tough to slow them down.

And to Moonshine who said this would be a great week 10 match up this year. He is correct. sorry that all the NY Posters bashed you but you are absolutely correct. Great Match up between the two.
Good luck to both teams and stay injury free.

A-Town Big Dog
S

Post by A-Town Big Dog »

gecko wrote:Tomcats never ran their QB either. I feel the cats should have won 35-20. Two times the cats were in the red zone and didn't score.
Athens has a nice offense. I cant believe the cats played a 5-3 against the spread of athens and other than a few plays did really well.
Athens running back is very shifty and boy can he fly. Trimble is passing the ball really well this year and if that keeps up. Look out it will be tough to slow them down.

And to Moonshine who said this would be a great week 10 match up this year. He is correct. sorry that all the NY Posters bashed you but you are absolutely correct. Great Match up between the two.
Good luck to both teams and stay injury free.
You are crazy, Konner ran the ball on several occasions. He ran the ball 3 or 4 times on short yardage alone, heck even one of them was for a TD! Trimble ran what they would have run in a normal game situation. Trimble will dominate their schedule this season barring the injury bug and is a legit contender for at least a regional title if not more, with that being said lets not read to much into a half scrimmage against a team that clearly wasn't putting all they had into the game.

Gecko
Varsity

Post by Gecko »

You are crazy, Konner ran the ball on several occasions. He ran the ball 3 or 4 times on short yardage alone, heck even one of them was for a TD! Trimble ran what they would have run in a normal game situation. Trimble will dominate their schedule this season barring the injury bug and is a legit contender for at least a regional title if not more, with that being said lets not read to much into a half scrimmage against a team that clearly wasn't putting all they had into the game.[/quote]

QB sneak on short yardage. Our best play is the zone read or putting Konner in the Gun and running power football with him. Yes he did have a few carries on short yardage. Heck even NFL QB's run the QB sneak. Trust me you came no where close to seeing the full playbook from Trimble.
Ask bulldog 93 if we ran him like we would in a game.
But again very good contest between the two teams. Would be a great match up week 10.

moonshine
SEO

Post by moonshine »

Even though I am insane! I still think this would be a good week 10 game for the TVC Championship! And how about that O&B

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Athens didn't run its spread option play, which allowed Burrow to rush for over 800 yards last season ... Coach Faires didn't open up the playbook a whole lot either, but it did look like the 'Cats showed up wanting to win! The question about being a good game week 10, I say probably. Why? because the Trimble O-line and D-line was bigger and more physical than Athens - they would control the ball on the ground, just like they did last night, and probably keep Burrow on the sideline as well as any team Athens will play this year. We seen the same thing out of the Bulldogs defense last year, it was very leaky until week three of the season ... but they were inexperienced last year - and they are very inexperienced this year ... lots of new starters, lots of young players ... People need to realize Athens is so YOUNG, only a few seniors even on the field ... Trimble is an awesome, veteran team with seniors galore and a ton of size ... it didn't surprise me at all to see Trimble push Athens around last night ... and that's what they did up front - controlled the line of scrimmage. The question would be if they played week 10, would the big guys up front for Trimble be as effective in the 4th quarter after facing the no-huddle spread all game ... that's where Athens got to teams, they're m.o. is to wear you down, tire you out and take advantage in the second half and in the fourth.

It would be a good game no matter what week they played ... if you flew in from Florida and never seen either team play - or knew nothing about them - you wouldn't be able to tell Athens is 4 divisions bigger ... Trimble had more players (52 man roster) and we're bigger ... if anything, you would have thought Trimble was the D3 team.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

The only thing that surprised me last night was to not see Dakota Mcfee touch the ball or play defense ... the kid is a freakish athlete with size and speed ... we're they hiding him from Gallia, was he hurt? I don't know ...

Seems to me, if you're not going to put him in the backfield or in the slot - let him play corner ... not many 6'1, 6'2 kids around with his speed!

A-Town Big Dog
S

Post by A-Town Big Dog »

93Bulldog wrote:The only thing that surprised me last night was to not see Dakota Mcfee touch the ball or play defense ... the kid is a freakish athlete with size and speed ... we're they hiding him from Gallia, was he hurt? I don't know ...

Seems to me, if you're not going to put him in the backfield or in the slot - let him play corner ... not many 6'1, 6'2 kids around with his speed!
Dakota played sparingly on Defense and played RB a bit in the JV portion. I really believe he is the #2 back on this team and needs to be on the field a lot more than he was last night if this team is going to meet their potential.

A-Town Big Dog
S

Post by A-Town Big Dog »

gecko wrote:You are crazy, Konner ran the ball on several occasions. He ran the ball 3 or 4 times on short yardage alone, heck even one of them was for a TD! Trimble ran what they would have run in a normal game situation. Trimble will dominate their schedule this season barring the injury bug and is a legit contender for at least a regional title if not more, with that being said lets not read to much into a half scrimmage against a team that clearly wasn't putting all they had into the game.

QB sneak on short yardage. Our best play is the zone read or putting Konner in the Gun and running power football with him. Yes he did have a few carries on short yardage. Heck even NFL QB's run the QB sneak. Trust me you came no where close to seeing the full playbook from Trimble.
Ask bulldog 93 if we ran him like we would in a game.
But again very good contest between the two teams. Would be a great match up week 10.[/quote]

For the record, I just finished watching the game film from both the sideline and end zone camera views and Konner had 12 carries (to be fair 2 of those were scrambles on pass plays) 2 of the 12 were designed runs from the shotgun and had a run/pass option called 6 other times. I'd hardly say he didn't run the ball! Burrow had 0 carries and 0 QB scrambles on pass plays. Trimble also ran a reverse pass last night for gods sake so to say they didn't open up the playbook any compared to Athens just plain and simply isn't true.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Athens knew Trimble wanted to win that game heading in ... if they decided not to put their best foot forward - then they have to live with the consequences ... lol ... which means bragging rights for the 'Cats all year ... I've received about 10 text messages already - I sure wish they would have made that extra point at the end so we could have at least settled in a tie!

:)

Return to “Football”