ironton-west scrimmage this morning

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Re: ironton-west scrimmage this morning

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

game day wrote:It is great to read all about the coaches on here.

Ironton by far is the best team in the area and there is no question about it. No one could ever play with the great teams of Ironton from WEST. LOL!!! I thought it was good scrimmage and West is better for the scrimmage.

Good luck both team.
I'm about as big of a Tiger fan as anyone, we have a lot of work to do and a lot to prove before you can say that. Week one against what is going to be a very tough Wheelersburg team will tell a lot.

urban buck
Varsity

Post by urban buck »

ohbuck I think he was being funny and talking about the "coaches" on here. Guess that includes us.lol

bubba_smurf
Waterboy

Post by bubba_smurf »

went to scrimmage.ironton has more upside,especially on off.def concerns me.95% of the starters are either soph. or jrs.The tigers future is bright.

local superstar
All State

Post by local superstar »

West ran the ball tough. Ironton a little more like a spread team which was noted before but surprised me. Ironton couldn't create a seam short of the option play by QB. West QB will need to be more aggressive with the pass. Will follow West and hope for a injury free and successful season for them.

bubba_smurf
Waterboy

Post by bubba_smurf »

The tigers wont be in the full house backfield but a few plays a game.Problably if they have a lead late in a game and want to run the clock.

pembrook burrows III
JV Team

Post by pembrook burrows III »

Couldn't pass up this chance to follow-up on my old teammate, artisgilmore.

Most of the posters saw the scimmage the way I did - a competitive affair in which neither side had a decided edge. Both teams got to run a number of plays and use a lot of different personnel combinations. Generally, each side got about 8-10 plays, then the other side got about 8-10 plays. This sequence was then repeated for about 90 minutes. Penalties were not stepped off, and turnovers usually resulted in handing the ball back to the team that had just turned it over. There were no special teams used.

Despite these limitations, one may be able to draw a few conclusions:

1. Both teams have some offensive weapons. Ironton may indeed throw the ball a bit more this year from its spread formation. I was also favorably impressed with both West QB's, who gave Ironton a lot of play action to set up their passing game. Overall, I thought the Tigers' passing attack looked a little sharper at this point in the season than the Senators, who suffered a couple of picks.

2. Ironton's power game is a work in progress at the moment. With a senior interior lineman injured, the Tigers were auditioning a senior, 3 sophomores, and a frosh for the interior offensive line of guard-center-guard. The young guys were forced to grow up fast against a West squad that featured 29 juniors and seniors. Those interior line positions plus the fullback (up for grabs between a junior and sophomore) are positions to keep an eye on if Ironton wants to pound it this year out of its patented robust T-formation. Also keep in mind that Ironton has another talented halfback who cannot play until game 6 this season due to transferring from South Point. West definitely had the edge rushing the ball on Saturday, and No. 33 for West was especially impressive in his efforts. The refs tossed a number of flags on the West blockers, however.

3. Defensively, Ironton's tackling was not very crisp. Again, the Tigers have a lot of new faces to work into the lineup, with 33 out of 52 roster players either sophomores or freshmen. West's defense did not look ready for Ironton's spread, but that could be fixed by a bit of scouting and game-planning. West was definitely the more physical team, at least at this time. This was especially true when the second teams competed, a factor most likely due to the fact that West just has many more upperclassmen than Ironton. Depth could be an issue for the Tigers in 2013, especially if the injury bug bites.

4. Both teams face difficult schedules. Ironton has its usual stout independent slate, while the SOC, Liberty Union, and Portsmouth will offer West plenty of challenges. A reasonable pre-season goal for both teams is just to make the playoffs, then see what happens. West seems to have more experience and depth, while the Tigers' best years may lie ahead of them as their talented youngsters gain experience and maturity. Here's wishing both a successful season.

urban buck
Varsity

Post by urban buck »

West started 7 sophs and one frosh last yr so still a young team with a year of experience.West def most physical of two teams. The most curious part of every Ironton fan on here is regarding penalties.. Ironton Qb would of been ejected and the screen pass fot Ironton was called illegal formation...I counted 3 penalties for West one of which was a very questionable hold after a 25 yd run and brought back. My point being both teams need to cut down on penalties especially those costing ejection. Again lets hope Irontons 2 tanks up front get tougher before season. Long will still make some plays but they got to get better to compete..they are upperclassmen as I understand it. Good luck to both teams. We will see in a few weeks.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

urban buck wrote:West started 7 sophs and one frosh last yr so still a young team with a year of experience.West def most physical of two teams. The most curious part of every Ironton fan on here is regarding penalties.. Ironton Qb would of been ejected and the screen pass fot Ironton was called illegal formation...I counted 3 penalties for West one of which was a very questionable hold after a 25 yd run and brought back. My point being both teams need to cut down on penalties especially those costing ejection. Again lets hope Irontons 2 tanks up front get tougher before season. Long will still make some plays but they got to get better to compete..they are upperclassmen as I understand it. Good luck to both teams. We will see in a few weeks.
Yes, Webb is a SR and Sherman is a JR

bubba_smurf
Waterboy

Post by bubba_smurf »

pembrook,still think your name is the best since adam and eve.

doubleplay643
S

Post by doubleplay643 »

Lol...Pembrook Burrows & Artis Gilmore....you 2 teammates need to quit talking football and figure out how you didn't beat UCLA in 1970 lol...

bubba_smurf
Waterboy

Post by bubba_smurf »

2 against 5,just sayin.

bubba_smurf
Waterboy

Post by bubba_smurf »

Spread teams very seldom have power running games.They make you play the whole field.With the 2 fast running backs we will have after the 5th game,the tigers will only need it as I stated before,to run the clock.

High Plains Drifter
Freshman Team

Post by High Plains Drifter »

artisgilmore wrote:Spread teams very seldom have power running games.They make you play the whole field.With the 2 fast running backs we will have after the 5th game,the tigers will only need it as I stated before,to run the clock.

cannot help but laugh, after the 5th??? when your legal with all your transfers??? Our kids are ok, but when we get those transfers....boy look out!!!
Minford, Burg, West and Valley would beat Ironton with their own stock!!

TigsFan
Waterboy

Post by TigsFan »

What people need to realize is that this was a chance for teams to get better. Who "wins" the scrimmage is the team that was able to learn the most and correct mistakes, not the team with the most yards or TD's. Last year I'd say West "won" the scrimmage on paper but during the "real" games they started off 0-3 vs Fairland, Portsmouth and Chilly. We are known for making teams look good in scrimmages. :12223 So.............. Go Tigers!

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

High Plains Drifter wrote:
artisgilmore wrote:Spread teams very seldom have power running games.They make you play the whole field.With the 2 fast running backs we will have after the 5th game,the tigers will only need it as I stated before,to run the clock.

cannot help but laugh, after the 5th??? when your legal with all your transfers??? Our kids are ok, but when we get those transfers....boy look out!!!
Minford, Burg, West and Valley would beat Ironton with their own stock!!
So are you saying these teams have never received a transfer before, and there are none on the teams you listed right now? right........

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

TigsFan wrote:What people need to realize is that this was a chance for teams to get better. Who "wins" the scrimmage is the team that was able to learn the most and correct mistakes, not the team with the most yards or TD's. Last year I'd say West "won" the scrimmage on paper but during the "real" games they started off 0-3 vs Fairland, Portsmouth and Chilly. We are known for making teams look good in scrimmages. :12223 So.............. Go Tigers!
I agree, who ever learns from their mistakes and corrects them is the real winner of a scrimmage.

pembrook burrows III
JV Team

Post by pembrook burrows III »

The twin towers - Artis Gilmore and Pembrook Burrows III:

playa_44
JV Team

Post by playa_44 »

Comments from Ironton fans like,"we are known for making teams look good in scrimmages" make all the West, Burg, Valley and Minford fans laugh.
I don't think anyone in this thread was trying to say either team won or lost, just pointing out strength and weaknesses. Ironton fans have to get on here and tear down things with 18 paragraphs, or add some
arrogance to the conversation, or make excuses ahead of time why some team may beat you.. Then you say you are really going to be good when the other two transfers can start competing mid season! Heck you had 28 seniors last year, you should of won the dang state instead of 6 season games.
Enough already! It is enough to make us all want to hurl.lol smh
Last edited by playa_44 on Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

urban buck
Varsity

Post by urban buck »

:shock: :o ;-) :122245

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

playa_44 wrote:Comments from Ironton fans like,"we are known for making teams look good in scrimmages" make all the West, Burg, Valley and Minford fans laugh.
I don't think anyone in this thread was trying to say either team won or lost, just pointing out strength and weaknesses. Ironton fans have to get on here and tear down things with 18 paragraphs, or add some
arrogance to the conversation, or make excuses ahead of time why some team may beat you.. Then you say you are really going to be good when the other two transfers can start competing mid season! Heck you had 28 seniors last year, you should of won the dang state instead of 6 season games.
Enough already! It is enough to make us all want to hurl.lol smh
How many Tiger fans posted negative comments and how many posted positive comments about the scrimmage?

We actually had 21 Seniors, 6 regular season wins out of 9 games against the competition level we played was pretty good IMO. Losses to Johnson Central, Bishop Watterson and Bishop Hartley is nothing to be ashamed about. Only 1 transfer has to set out the other transfer can play right away, they are both Sophomores.

Return to “Football”