Wheelersburg 49 Ironton 12

tigerpower89
Freshman Team

Wheelersburg 49 Ironton 12

Post by tigerpower89 »

Thoughts this has been a classic matchup for years what does this year have in store.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Re: 8/30 Wheelersburg @ Ironton

Post by 4thgoal »

As always, this is a great way to start the season! Burg returns basically all of their skill players from last year and looks to have a little bit bigger line with more experience than last year. Ironton lost 20+ seniors and will be a bit of an unknown until this game. Will Ironton's transfers have much of an impact? I look for Burg to come out of the gate fast and try to strike fast and strike often!

nutronron2012
All State

Post by nutronron2012 »

I honestly look for Burg to get a big win in Ironton this year. Burg didnt lose much while Ironton lost alot.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

4th n Goal wrote:As always, this is a great way to start the season! Burg returns basically all of their skill players from last year and looks to have a little bit bigger line with more experience than last year. Ironton lost 20+ seniors and will be a bit of an unknown until this game. Will Ironton's transfers have much of an impact? I look for Burg to come out of the gate fast and try to strike fast and strike often!
There's 2 and 1 has to sit out the first 5 games.

I'm not sure if the transfer we lost to South Point will make a difference or not, he was a lineman.
Last edited by ohbuckeye2 on Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Fan of The Blue and Gold
Freshman Team

Post by Fan of The Blue and Gold »

Very seldom has Ironton been a underdog at home! But this year I think that is the case. They just lost too much to graduation. Both of their lines (Off. & Def.) would have to dominate in order to win .... I don't think it will happen! Good Luck to both squads!

maniac66
All State

Post by maniac66 »

I believe Ironton will be ready and it will be a close game.
From what I was told Ironton is in better condition and is quite improved from this time last year.
And deep in the backfield.
If this is true it will be a close game and both teams will be able to win it key maybe turnovers.
Good Luck Tigers

voodoochild
Riding the Bench

Post by voodoochild »

Depends on who you talk to about Ironton. Ive heard everything from "worst team since the 97-98 team," To "they might sneek in the playoffs if a few balls bounce there way". Not sure what to believe without first seeing them. The consensus is though this team is going to be really down. Hope there wrong.

philthyphil
Varsity

Post by philthyphil »

I was told there were only 31 out with 17 of those being freshmen.

maniac66
All State

Post by maniac66 »

Heard a 7-3 Season is expected with no game being taken as a given.
maybe they are over shooting but you want to think your that good than your that bad.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

philthyphil wrote:I was told there were only 31 out with 17 of those being freshmen.
I have seen a pre-roster for the Tigers and it has 25 players not counting freshman.

playa_44
JV Team

Post by playa_44 »

Does that include the transfers from South Point? ;-)
It never is good when you already make excuses for your team.

Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Tigercannon71 »

Irontons backfield will be fine the biggest question mark is how will the line do this year. Last years line was probably one of the worst in a long long time. Will this years line be any better? On paper with all the returners Burg should win this game, but I believe the Tigers will squeak by with a win.

philthyphil
Varsity

Post by philthyphil »

noreply66 wrote:
philthyphil wrote:I was told there were only 31 out with 17 of those being freshmen.
I have seen a pre-roster for the Tigers and it has 25 players not counting freshman.
If it's the same roster I saw on elitetristatesports.com, it's dated January 1 so you can't go by that.

The above info was told to me by a member of the coaching staff.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

Last year in week 1 Burg was just starting the hurry up offense, but aside from the first 2 minutes of the game outgained and outscored a pretty good Ironton team. A full season later and a few additional wrinkles into their offense, I look for Burg to move the ball well and start the season with a win. Assuming Cox is the QB for this year, he is the only returning player for Ironton on offense that scored a touchdown last year and he only had 1. I'm sure Ironton has some younger players who can step in, but will they be ready week 1?

Leo Byrd
SEO

Post by Leo Byrd »

4th n Goal wrote:Last year in week 1 Burg was just starting the hurry up offense, but aside from the first 2 minutes of the game outgained and outscored a pretty good Ironton team. A full season later and a few additional wrinkles into their offense, I look for Burg to move the ball well and start the season with a win. Assuming Cox is the QB for this year, he is the only returning player for Ironton on offense that scored a touchdown last year and he only had 1. I'm sure Ironton has some younger players who can step in, but will they be ready week 1?
Yes they will........TTOTTB... :!: :!:

noles_fan
S

Post by noles_fan »

I really think this will be Burgs year. Ironton has to many question marks coming in. Its tough to lose that many seniors in one year.

tigerfan98
Freshman Team

Post by tigerfan98 »

I agree with everything but remember nobody was looking at Patrick as the key to victory. Ironton has backs emerge from the sidelines almost every year. I'm excited about Young, Long, and Bodmer in the back field. I also heard Joe Bowling is back not as qb but maybe te
The line has good size that's without pads I've seen. There skill is yet to be determined I hope they get better. Webb will be a definite force. Cox will be good at qb because he's a better runner than Duty. That 4wr set will be a lot more dangerous this year for Ironton

Gray Fighting Tiger
Varsity

Post by Gray Fighting Tiger »

The IHS Class of 1968 will be at this game as part of their 45 year reunion. It would be a great start to the reunion weekend to see the Fighting Tigers get a win.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

noreply66 wrote:
I was at practice yesterday and there were 45 players dressed and 2 not dressed, of the 45 dressed 9 of them were Freshmen.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

ohbuckeye2 wrote:
noreply66 wrote:
I was at practice yesterday and there were 45 players dressed and 2 not dressed, of the 45 dressed 9 of them were Freshmen.
So roughly, they will have 10 seniors, 9 juniors, 17 sophomores and 9 freshmen. Assuming the freshmen class from last year is that big based on only having 22 returning players from last year's varsity roster. I guess there could be some older kids that didn't play last year and throw in the transfers somewhere in that mix.

Return to “Football”