What rules would you add or change?

robycop3
All State

Re: What rules would you add or change?

Post by robycop3 »

Allow celebrations after a score, with a delay-of-game pena;lty in place to limit excessively-long ones After all, football is supposed to be FUN! Any time a team scores & celebrates, half the fans are gonna celebrate & the other half is gonna hang their heads.

boilermaker
SE

Post by boilermaker »

In the TVC I would like to see a committee select the officials for the games . AD's do it now and ts bad idea !

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

boilermaker wrote:In the TVC I would like to see a committee select the officials for the games . AD's do it now and ts bad idea !
A league assighner would be a very good idea.

chiefs
Varsity

Post by chiefs »

Misteroby wrote:Allow celebrations after a score, with a delay-of-game pena;lty in place to limit excessively-long ones After all, football is supposed to be FUN! Any time a team scores & celebrates, half the fans are gonna celebrate & the other half is gonna hang their heads.
The biggest problem I have with the celebration rule is how inconsistent I've seen the penalty called. I remember an occasion where a celebration penalty was called when the kid who scored threw a spiral at the ref. I also remember a time where a kid got called for "unsportsmanlike conduct" after he kept nodding his head as he strode off after committing a monster sack. I also remember a time where a kid spiked the ball towards his feet after getting a pick six and NO penalty was called. This rule has a good intention, but it is written terribly and takes the fun out of celebrations. I think there should be a rule for "no celebrations after being up 20 points" or something like that.
G.W.A. wrote:The hurdleing rule should also be done away with.
I don't believe I've ever seen the "leaping" rule in college being called in OHSAA football, which struck me as peculiar becuase I also don't see there being a penalty called for non-ball handlers "hurdeling" (most commonly illustrated in d ends and linebackers trying to avoid the "chop block"). But I guess there's something inherently wrong with hurdleing when you have the ball?

C-Bolt
SEOP

Post by C-Bolt »

Not sure, but I think I saw the hurdling call get called against the Sharp kid from Athens couple years ago.

G.W.A.
All Conference

Post by G.W.A. »

C-Bolt wrote:Not sure, but I think I saw the hurdling call get called against the Sharp kid from Athens couple years ago.

I also saw it called on Sharp. I think it was against NY

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

Hurdling is all about player safety, and you can throw a ball away outside of the tackle box, so not sure what your complaints are on the issue.

C-Bolt
SEOP

Post by C-Bolt »

Not if a receiver in not in the immediate area, seen it called many times over the years,the ref can even interpet a ball thrown too high or too far out of bounds when a receiver is there as intentional grounding,its a rule that needs changed for player safety,the pros and college's finally figured that out.Rule number 2 http://www.straphaelfootball.org/rules_differences.pdf

55buckeyes98
All Conference

Post by 55buckeyes98 »

that is correct... there is no tackle box rule in HS. Receiver has to be in the area or it's grounding.

BlindWhiteHat
SEOP

Post by BlindWhiteHat »

Fortdawg wrote:Go back to the old coaching box and allow coaches near the field. You now have sideline Nazi's more worried about where coaches are on the sideline than what is happening on the field.
The "sideline nazis" are enforcing the rule which is put in place for safety reasons. Keeping coaches further away from the field while the ball is in play is designed to make things safer for players, coaches, officials and all sideline personnel.

55buckeyes98
All Conference

Post by 55buckeyes98 »

What do you do with fields that basically have no sideline? Many times playing in the old Mid Buckeye conference we had to put our players on the ropes just to have room for coaches and players entering and leaving the game to have room.

fortdawg
All Conference

Post by fortdawg »

White hat---I feel as a coach it takes from the game----I don't have to be on the field but it would be nice to be closer to your team. The "Old Way" seemed to work pretty good---I'm sure there's a horror story out there somewhere but I've never seen any major collisions between officials and coaches.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

A well coached QB knows how to get rid of the football, period.

noles_fan
S

Post by noles_fan »

Pol Pot wrote:A well coached QB knows how to get rid of the football, period.
A well coached QB very well may know how to get rid of the football. The problem is it is still up to how the official interprets the play. Your well coached QB may do everything he has been taught but if the official sees it as grounding then thats what it is going to be. Then the next time your well coached QB rolls out he won't be as eager to throw the ball away and takes a unnecessary shot that may or may not end his season.

BlindWhiteHat
SEOP

Post by BlindWhiteHat »

55Buckeyes98 wrote:What do you do with fields that basically have no sideline? Many times playing in the old Mid Buckeye conference we had to put our players on the ropes just to have room for coaches and players entering and leaving the game to have room.
You do the best you can. I have seen teams that line the players single-file across the back of the team box to give as much room as possible. Some fields make it tough but in those cases it seems officials and coaches work together to make the best of it.
Fortdawg wrote:White hat---I feel as a coach it takes from the game----I don't have to be on the field but it would be nice to be closer to your team. The "Old Way" seemed to work pretty good---I'm sure there's a horror story out there somewhere but I've never seen any major collisions between officials and coaches.
I have no doubt that coaches don't like the new way. I think it is a mix of fear of injury/lawsuits and an attempt to improve officials' mechanics. I personally have seen officials and coaches collide but nothing major. I am sure that there has been a major collision somewhere in which someone got sued. Officials' mechanics have changed now to ask officials to get wider to better cover the spread formations. Clearing the area off the sideline makes it easier for the officials to work with receivers split wider than the numbers.

55buckeyes98
All Conference

Post by 55buckeyes98 »

BlindWhiteHat wrote:
55Buckeyes98 wrote:What do you do with fields that basically have no sideline? Many times playing in the old Mid Buckeye conference we had to put our players on the ropes just to have room for coaches and players entering and leaving the game to have room.
You do the best you can. I have seen teams that line the players single-file across the back of the team box to give as much room as possible. Some fields make it tough but in those cases it seems officials and coaches work together to make the best of it.

It's difficult because you get inconsistency with some crews who will work with you and others who seem out to get you! It just feels back to push your young kids who work hard back where they basically can't see and they feel like they are being "punished". I see both sides of it, not trying to complain, just some frustration dealing with poor stadiums

Return to “Football”