Athens 62 Gallia Academy 19

Dundas
SEOPS

Re: POLL: Athens (0-0) at Gallia Academy (0-0) - August 30th

Post by Dundas »

Spartan wrote:Hype it all you want. Athens will win this thing early and often. As they will all of their regular season games. Also a lock to win 2 playoff games at a minimum, and with some luck , who knows. Burrow and his skilled offensive guys are the real deal. And there is more to that team than just them. Unchallenged until 2nd round or 3rd round of playoffs.
I agree barring any injuries. It will take a perfect game and some luck on top of that to knock off the Bulldogs.

vctransplant
All Conference

Post by vctransplant »

Not going to say that they wont be tested cause they do play NY and they lost 18 seniors. Dont care what anyone says, that is big.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Spartan wrote:Also a lock to win 2 playoff games at a minimum, and with some luck , who knows. Burrow and his skilled offensive guys are the real deal. And there is more to that team than just them. Unchallenged until 2nd round or 3rd round of playoffs.
Not sure how about the playoff thing ... Division III, region 9 is brutal ... the schedule will not allow Athens to obtain a high seed, even 10-0 and they are probably a 4 or a 5 ... no way will Athens be a 'lock' to beat a team like Marion Franklin, Columbus DeSales or a Tri Valley.

Auburntgrfan
All Conference

Post by Auburntgrfan »

This has to be a game of the week, any week of the season. Two very good teams here. Gallia has a new coach this year and could have a few hick-ups. I will have to go with the Bulldogs. By 3 TD's.

bird78
Varsity

Post by bird78 »

going to be a goodie......bulldogs 28 galia 21 8) :!: :idea:

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

After seeing the 'Dogs for the first time during their Saturday scrimmage - my guess is they are 2 or 3 TD's better than last season ... more size, more speed, more depth ... that's about the best way I can put it.

vctransplant
All Conference

Post by vctransplant »

93Bulldog wrote:After seeing the 'Dogs for the first time during their Saturday scrimmage - my guess is they are 2 or 3 TD's better than last season ... more size, more speed, more depth ... that's about the best way I can put it.
I agree that it will be by 2 or 3 TD's but it is because of how GA looked against Unioto. I dont quite think they are grasping that O soon enough. Looked good at times then others wow. But I also hear that A-towns D gane up a lot of yards. Is that true Big dog?

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Gave up a lot of yards? When, today vs Morgan?

I don't think the Raiders crossed midfield when the starters were in.

superblue
All Conference

Post by superblue »

Not much being said of the importance of this game for GAHS. IMO Gallia needs this game to have any reasonable chance of making the play-offs. We play 4 teams that were 1-9 last year and two teams that were 2-8 and 4-6… The only team with a winning record besides Athens on our schedule is an 8-2 Belfry, Kentucky team… Going 8-2 or 7-3 with this years schedule and not beating Athens could keep us at home for week 11…. And we would have no one to blame but ourselves….

A-Town Big Dog
S

Post by A-Town Big Dog »

superblue wrote:Not much being said of the importance of this game for GAHS. IMO Gallia needs this game to have any reasonable chance of making the play-offs. We play 4 teams that were 1-9 last year and two teams that were 2-8 and 4-6… The only team with a winning record besides Athens on our schedule is an 8-2 Belfry, Kentucky team… Going 8-2 or 7-3 with this years schedule and not beating Athens could keep us at home for week 11…. And we would have no one to blame but ourselves….
Athens is in a very similar situation, basically everyone on our schedule moved down a division while we remain at D3 which will mean less points overall on both divisor levels. Athens could easily go 9-1 and miss the playoffs in this new region.

A-Town Big Dog
S

Post by A-Town Big Dog »

Athens went 9-1 last season with a similar schedule (only Fairland instead of Waverly changed) and finished with a 19.30 avg. in D3 R12 earning the #3 seed if they had been in D2 R7 (which is basically where we are now with the new D1) we would have finished #9 in that region and would have been sitting at home week #11.

kvnchambers
Varsity

Post by kvnchambers »

I think at 8-2 gallia would still have a chance to get in this year but unless they want to be the 8th seed they better beat athens or belfrey one or the other. their is probably at least a 40% chance that they would not make it in at 8-2 but i think the other 8 teams or their schedule will garner a few more wins then last year so they would still have a reasonable shot to get in at 8-2. but you will not get in and host. unless you win at least one of those 2 big games. sort of same is true of athens. at 9-1

Spartan
All Conference

Post by Spartan »

Athens has to go 10-0 to get in is what most are thinking? Wow. That would really be unfortunate if they stubbed their toe along the way because I think this will be the best team in the history of the school. With that said, I still think they will run thru their schedule unscathed and unchallenged.

gridiron fan
Riding the Bench

Post by gridiron fan »

Has anyone heard anything about the player that was injured for Gallia in the scrimmage? I sure hate seeing a player hurt, especially during a scrimmage after all the hard work they put in the off-season and during the summer; plus, to miss the excitement of the season opener. Not a better feeling then opening night of high school football.

Will this game be televised by anyone? Does the cable company out of Nelsonville still do all of the Athens games?

A-Town Big Dog
S

Post by A-Town Big Dog »

Yes, I believe Nelsonville TV Cable will be doing the games as usual.

jottings
SEOPS H

Post by jottings »

Ty Warnimont sprained an ankle last weekend. He's a tough nut and always goes all out on every play. A major player on last spring's 25-4 baseball team as a catcher and pitcher. May miss Meigs scrimmage on Friday. Should be ready for Athens Aug. 30.

bigblue allday
Freshman Team

Post by bigblue allday »

Auburntgrfan wrote:This has to be a game of the week, any week of the season. Two very good teams here. Gallia has a new coach this year and could have a few hick-ups. I will have to go with the Bulldogs. By 3 TD's.
I think you have 2 games of the week with athens and galia on friday night and trimble and nelsonville saturday night

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Re: Week 1 Athens (0-0) at Gallia Academy (0-0) - August 30t

Post by Orange and Brown »

Bump

kvnchambers
Varsity

Re: Week 1 Athens (0-0) at Gallia Academy (0-0) - August 30t

Post by kvnchambers »

good luck Friday night blue devils. strap it up and give it your best shot. it is going to be well of a game. Remember to have fun boys these games don't come along every day.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

vctransplant wrote:Not going to say that they wont be tested cause they do play NY and they lost 18 seniors. Dont care what anyone says, that is big.
Nelsonville is way down this year and may border on .500

Return to “Football”