SEOPS Mr. Ohio

2013 Athens Bulldogs

Post by Orange and Brown »

Thoughts?

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Re: 2013 Athens Bulldogs

Will the Bulldogs remain the top dog in the TVC?
Will they be able to make another deep playoff run?

85cruiser
Riding the Bench

Post by 85cruiser »

From what I have gathered, Athens will have a heavily Junior laden team this upcoming season with a couple of sophomores and five or so seniors, only a handful are returning starters though. Last season the Bulldogs JV were undefeated so it may seem Athens is loaded again with talent. But this is not going to be the same team as last year. Dedication, determination, and the willingness to sacrifice during this off season seems a little lackluster......again from what I have gathered from some players.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Most of the underclassmen got a lot of playing time last year. Athens is return an amazing QB and plenty of weapons to compliment him.
I think the most important thing to keep an eye on is defense. Then again, if you score 50+ a game defense isn't all that important til you reach the playoffs.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

85cruiser wrote:From what I have gathered, Athens will have a heavily Junior laden team this upcoming season with a couple of sophomores and five or so seniors, only a handful are returning starters though. Last season the Bulldogs JV were undefeated so it may seem Athens is loaded again with talent. But this is not going to be the same team as last year. Dedication, determination, and the willingness to sacrifice during this off season seems a little lackluster......again from what I have gathered from some players.
Its not so much a situation of not sacrificing - its because the players are so involved with other sports ... the young players aren't just football players, they do a lot of other things ... baseball, track, AAU, summer basketball leagues, etc... etc ...

Auburntgrfan
All Conference

Post by Auburntgrfan »

From all indications the Bulldogs will be the top team in our part of the state for the next several seasons. The community should be proud of these young men and the work of their coaches.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Bump

85cruiser
Riding the Bench

Post by 85cruiser »

93Bulldog wrote:Its not so much a situation of not sacrificing - its because the players are so involved with other sports ... the young players aren't just football players, they do a lot of other things ... baseball, track, AAU, summer basketball leagues, etc... etc ...
These situations were noted when speaking to the athletes, as well as not having transportation and such. They were referring to a few that show up for weight lifting/conditioning, just to make an appearance, in their opinion. Some of these boys are motivated just by the fact that Burrow will be scouted and they want to take advantage of that also.

A-Town Big Dog
S

Post by A-Town Big Dog »

Athens should be the favorite but they aren't without question marks, while next seasons Junior class is talent rich at the "skill" positions lets not forget that most of a pretty talented line won't be returning not to mention the leading tackler and top two receiving threats from last year. I know the JV team has had great success over the last couple of seasons but that doesn't always translate to the Friday night game. Only time will tell if the younger group wants to win as much as last years group did and is willing to put in the hard work and time necessary to be successful. As for a playoff run, I'll save those thoughts until we see how the enrollment numbers and regions shake out.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Bump

vctransplant
All Conference

Post by vctransplant »

I agree with you A-Town. they should be the favorite. However, I was at senior night last year and counted 18 seniors. Wow. That is a lot of leadership. Can those awesome soon to be jrs. carry the load? Big ? marks. Congrats on the nice playoff run. Way to rep the TVC. And good luck this season.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Bump

Return to “Football”