GREATEST ATHLETE FROM YOUR H.S. PROGRAM EVER-MALE/FEMALE

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Re: GREATEST ATHLETE FROM YOUR H.S. PROGRAM EVER-MALE/FEMALE

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

I'd heard about Katie . but my mind is blown by her accomplishments. I had no idea. :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41

The General
All State

Post by The General »

I saw Katie play hoops and VB in HS. Outstanding player! I have said it many times that she is the only female athlete I have ever seen who could have started for a couple of the boy's programs during her time at Logan in BB in the SEOAL Now of course the SEOAL was NOT in any way shape or form a Basketball powerhouse in boys hoops during her time but she was good!! Great ball skills and strong. Just dominated the girls. I may be wrong,but if some of these geniuses on here are actually calling her the BEST athlete EVER in this part of the state,that is laughable. Now to call her the most ACCOMPLISHED and talented female athlete ever around here and even from the state of Ohio, I can wrap my head around that one. I have seen hundreds of athletes who could outrun her,Outjump her,Outlift her,Outthrow her, Outshoot her,Outspike her,Outdribble her....and soforth...and so forth. Best athlete from Gallipolis? Tom Spencer hands down. Not the most accomplished. But the most talented.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Some athlete might do something better than her but could they do as well as her in everything she did?

Many on here say Jordan is better than James mostly because of the differences in championships. But....James as M. Johnson can/could play every position very well and better than Jordan sooooooooooo?

SOHSP
Freshman Team

Post by SOHSP »

For those of us with roots in the metropolis of Beaver, let's not forget Eastern Pike's Marlene Stollings. Marlene is often overshadowed by Katie Smith (who was outstanding, no doubt).

Marlene is the all time Ohio basketball scoring leader (boys or girls) with over 3,500 points. She is also a new member of the Ohio Basketball Hall of Fame and current head women's basketball coach at a Big Ten school (Minnesota).

http://ohiobasketballhalloffame.com/?p=4157

Marlene Stollings
Birthdate: January 7, 1975
Birthplace: Portsmouth, Ohio
High School: Eastern High School, Beaver, Ohio (1993)
Colleges: Ohio State, Ohio University (1998)
Year Inducted: 2015
Marlene Stollings grew up in the small town of Beaver in Pike County and is considered one of the finest scorers to ever play in the basketball rich state of Ohio. At Eastern High School she became the all-time leading scorer (men and women) in Ohio with 3,514 points. She averaged 28.4 points per game as a freshman, 34.7 as a sophomore, 40.3 as a junior and 42.5 as a senior.
A four-time Southern Ohio Conference Player of the Year, she also averaged seven rebounds, seven steals and six assists per game as a senior. She was a two-time Division III Player of the Year and was named Ohio’s Miss Basketball in 1993. She earned Kodak All-American honors her senior season and her name currently appears more than 30 times in the OHSAA (Ohio High School Athletic Association) record books.
Stollings began her collegiate playing career at Ohio State University where she was a two-time scholar athlete for the Buckeyes. Stollings then transferred to Ohio University where she earned first-team All-Mid-American Conference honors after finishing eighth in the nation and leading the league in scoring at 22.9 points per game her senior year. She served as team captain for the Bobcats and earned Kodak All-American honorable mention honors in 1998. Stollings remains in the Ohio record books with 10 three-point baskets and 41 points scored in a single game. A school-record 87 three-pointers contributed to her 642 points — the third highest total in OU history.
In her honor, Feb. 19th was declared Marlene Stollings Day in Pike County Ohio. Marlene Stollings is currently the Head Women’s Basketball Coach at the University of Minnesota.

The General
All State

Post by The General »

Yes NOREPLY. YES they could and yes they have. Female wise, Katie is top of the list.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

theplainsbulldog wrote:For those of us with roots in the metropolis of Beaver, let's not forget Eastern Pike's Marlene Stollings. Marlene is often overshadowed by Katie Smith (who was outstanding, no doubt).

Marlene is the all time Ohio basketball scoring leader (boys or girls) with over 3,500 points. She is also a new member of the Ohio Basketball Hall of Fame and current head women's basketball coach at a Big Ten school (Minnesota).

Marlene Stollings
Marlene Stollings grew up in the small town of Beaver in Pike County and is considered one of the finest scorers to ever play in the basketball rich state of Ohio. At Eastern High School she became the all-time leading scorer (men and women) in Ohio with 3,514 points. She averaged 28.4 points per game as a freshman, 34.7 as a sophomore, 40.3 as a junior and 42.5 as a senior.
A four-time Southern Ohio Conference Player of the Year, she also averaged seven rebounds, seven steals and six assists per game as a senior. She was a two-time Division III Player of the Year and was named Ohio’s Miss Basketball in 1993. She earned Kodak All-American honors her senior season and her name currently appears more than 30 times in the OHSAA (Ohio High School Athletic Association) record books.
Stollings began her collegiate playing career at Ohio State University where she was a two-time scholar athlete for the Buckeyes. Stollings then transferred to Ohio University where she earned first-team All-Mid-American Conference honors after finishing eighth in the nation and leading the league in scoring at 22.9 points per game her senior year. She served as team captain for the Bobcats and earned Kodak All-American honorable mention honors in 1998. Stollings remains in the Ohio record books with 10 three-point baskets and 41 points scored in a single game. A school-record 87 three-pointers contributed to her 642 points — the third highest total in OU history.
In her honor, Feb. 19th was declared Marlene Stollings Day in Pike County Ohio. Marlene Stollings is currently the Head Women’s Basketball Coach at the University of Minnesota.

Watched Marlene several times and she was good. Only flaw a saw in her was the way she shot the ball. Someone her size or could jump blocked a lot of her shots. Don't know if anyone worked with after during college or not.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

The General wrote:Yes NOREPLY. YES they could and yes they have. Female wise, Katie is top of the list.
Must have not been too many because I have never seen the stats.

Jason Vorhees
S

Post by Jason Vorhees »

Neil Johnston from Chillicothe. Led the NBA in scoring three consecutive years in the 1950's.

OICU812
Varsity

Post by OICU812 »

The General wrote:I saw Katie play hoops and VB in HS. Outstanding player! I have said it many times that she is the only female athlete I have ever seen who could have started for a couple of the boy's programs during her time at Logan in BB in the SEOAL Now of course the SEOAL was NOT in any way shape or form a Basketball powerhouse in boys hoops during her time but she was good!! Great ball skills and strong. Just dominated the girls. I may be wrong,but if some of these geniuses on here are actually calling her the BEST athlete EVER in this part of the state,that is laughable. Now to call her the most ACCOMPLISHED and talented female athlete ever around here and even from the state of Ohio, I can wrap my head around that one. I have seen hundreds of athletes who could outrun her,Outjump her,Outlift her,Outthrow her, Outshoot her,Outspike her,Outdribble her....and soforth...and so forth. Best athlete from Gallipolis? Tom Spencer hands down. Not the most accomplished. But the most talented.
Hundreds? Really?

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

theplainsbulldog wrote:For those of us with roots in the metropolis of Beaver, let's not forget Eastern Pike's Marlene Stollings. Marlene is often overshadowed by Katie Smith (who was outstanding, no doubt).

Marlene Stollings
Great I formation!
What a ballplayer!

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

When you are discussing 'greatest athlete' - you can't cross over genders. Of course there are boys/men who were more physically gifted than Katie Smith, duh.

But you can't leave out the female athlete when discussing such a topic. If you have to chose 1, and only 1, you must look at what each athlete did versus his/her gender.

Achievements, accolades, awards, success are all part of the equation - and Katie, IMO, dominates those categories over any athlete from SEO.

Personally, I would have to give her the nod as the best ever.

She graduated from Logan more than 20 years ago, yet, drive up Rt. 33 and a sign still says "Welcome to Logan - the home of Katie Smith"

How many towns have a sign like that honoring a single person? I have seen lots of signs honoring teams, but not individuals.

The General
All State

Post by The General »

Pup....Surely you are not trying to tell me what I need to do and understand. ..DUH.... Now Katie was an exceptional talent. An accomplished talent. In many ways and in many sports. Tremendous abilities and achievements. No one will ever question that. You could not. She is the best FEMALE Hoops player I have ever seen in this area. And I watched her play. She is also an accomplished Inter-collegiate athlete and one of the Best female Pro Basketball players in the history of their league. Call her what she was. Quite possibly the most talented and gifted female athlete from this area ever. DEFINITELY the most accomplished. And that is the key word. But to call her the "BEST" athlete ever from this area is naive,dumb,and mis-directed.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

93Bulldog wrote:When you are discussing 'greatest athlete' - you can't cross over genders. Of course there are boys/men who were more physically gifted than Katie Smith, duh.

But you can't leave out the female athlete when discussing such a topic. If you have to chose 1, and only 1, you must look at what each athlete did versus his/her gender.

Achievements, accolades, awards, success are all part of the equation - and Katie, IMO, dominates those categories over any athlete from SEO.

Personally, I would have to give her the nod as the best ever.

She graduated from Logan more than 20 years ago, yet, drive up Rt. 33 and a sign still says "Welcome to Logan - the home of Katie Smith"

How many towns have a sign like that honoring a single person? I have seen lots of signs honoring teams, but not individuals.

A few years ago a coach that is on here off and on told about going to some doings in Texas and when ask where he was from he said Logan, Ohio and the person asking said..."The home of Katie Smith"

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

The General wrote:Pup....Surely you are not trying to tell me what I need to do and understand. ..DUH.... Now Katie was an exceptional talent. An accomplished talent. In many ways and in many sports. Tremendous abilities and achievements. No one will ever question that. You could not. She is the best FEMALE Hoops player I have ever seen in this area. And I watched her play. She is also an accomplished Inter-collegiate athlete and one of the Best female Pro Basketball players in the history of their league. Call her what she was. Quite possibly the most talented and gifted female athlete from this area ever. DEFINITELY the most accomplished. And that is the key word. But to call her the "BEST" athlete ever from this area is naive,dumb,and mis-directed.
Name who you think is the best and what they accomplished...so we can see if you know what you are talking about or just being a wilbur.

The General
All State

Post by The General »

I dont have to do that. Put names out there that is Wilbur. But trust me Wilbur. I could. But you couldnt. You want to know why noreply? Because you are a f##King Logan Wilbur!! :lol:

courier
All Conference

Post by courier »

How do you determine the greatest athlete? What are the guidelines and/or parameters? Who determines these rules? Is anyone truly the greatest athlete of all time?

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

FIDO (Forget It Drive On) wrote:How do you determine the greatest athlete? What are the guidelines and/or parameters? Who determines these rules? Is anyone truly the greatest athlete of all time?
Exactly.

Hard to figure out for sure, and the bottom line is, it all just comes down to opinion.

personally, I weigh achievements, awards, success, etc ... etc ... heavily into my equation.

Another example ... If you asked me who the best football player ever was from southeastern Ohio? I'd have to say: Joe Burrow. Why? Name me another Ohio Mr. Football and Gatorade player of the year from our neck of the woods? :mrgreen:

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

THERE ARE NO RULES FIDO JUST OPINIONS, CARRY ON. I HOPE ALL IS WELL WITH YOU MY FRIEND.

Logangrad
All State

Post by Logangrad »

In my opinion athlete vs athleticism is two different things. Lebron James is the greatest basketball player in the world, but google him trying to hit a softball. Jason Gerken is a great golfer but he didnt letter in any other sport at Logan, to me that doesnt qualify as a great athlete. I think at least 2 sports but 3 for sure and to excel more than most. Burrow was a three sport stud. Basketball looked effortless when he played. And he could play baseball. Stollings is a great basketball player but imo not a great athlete in terms of greatest from a school. She may be the greatest basketball player but not the greatest 'ATHLETE" Katie Smith's numbers prove she is the greatest athlete ever to come out of this area, bar none. You show me one with better accomplishments and stats than her male or female. And I am looking at it as a sports guy not her friend. Keith Myers, Logan record holder in baskteball and football at LHS, very good baseball player and golfer. Pretty solid athlete.

Logangrad
All State

Post by Logangrad »

Sounds like a good topic for THE SPORTS FAN!

Return to “Football”