ovc previews 2015

buckeyes41
Riding the Bench

ovc previews 2015

Post by buckeyes41 »

Anybody hear who the matchups will be this year and date?

LetsGoPSU
SE

Re: ovc previews 2015

Post by LetsGoPSU »

where do they hold this event?

buckeyes41
Riding the Bench

Post by buckeyes41 »

last several years has been at Coal Grove's field

buckeyes41
Riding the Bench

Post by buckeyes41 »

I believe the match ups will be CG/CHS, FHS/RH, SP/IRONTON, PHS/GAHS. Also the previews will be held at Ironton this year. going to start rotating field location between Ironton, sp, portsmouth and cg.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

yes I also heard ironton this year. I'd rather scrimmage someone I don't face in the regular season myself.

goUK
Varsity

Post by goUK »

Pointless scrimmage

cghs82
JV Team

Post by cghs82 »

You're Tiger Bait wrote:yes I also heard ironton this year. I'd rather scrimmage someone I don't face in the regular season myself.
Agreed, a preview is nice, but it's better when you're facing opponents you don't face in the regular season. The only way I could think of that could help is hosting a preview with another 8-team conference and use the results from the previous year to select the matchups and tinker with the matchups if a game features two teams playing each other.

Only problem with this situation is the nearest conference is the SVC. If something like that were to actually happen, would all the games be played at one location on a Saturday, either rotating between Ironton and Unioto in the majority county or rotate between the closest schools to each conference, which would be Portsmouth and Piketon, or would it be played at 2 different locations where half of the games are played at the SVC location and the other half played at the OVC location whether it be Ironton/Unioto or Portsmouth/Piketon.

All of this is just a quick thought and probably will never happen, but felt like bringing out another one of my crazy ideas since both conferences are similar in enrollment numbers and size.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

that's a great idea in my opinion.

buckeyes41
Riding the Bench

Post by buckeyes41 »

Thought the samething. Play another conference but do a running scoreboard for all the teams and just see what the total would be after all the games would be played. Be a neat idea. I dont care for scrimmaging someone you play in the regular season either. Kinda crazy really.

linedrive
Freshman Team

Post by linedrive »

I would personally like to see an OVC/SOC Classic instead of a preview. Have OVC and SOC II (include Oak Hill, Symmes Valley and Northwest in this to even it out). Also insure that teams that normally play each other in the regular season (CG/Valley, Ironton/Burg, Peake/SV) don't play each other. I would really like to see this!

Grove4Life
Riding the Bench

Post by Grove4Life »

Okay, I held my tongue long enough on this one. The previews will never change nor should they. I was worried about this when Ironton was voted in to the conference and look what is happening on here, there fans are not happy with something that has been done for years. I like the previews, I think it is a nice way to get the season started, you still have a scrimmage and a jamboree game to play against a team not on your schedule. The previews should never be changed or removed from the schedule, it is part of being in the OVC and should be accepted as such. Don't mean to be mean to any particular posters but I love the OVC and how we do things, and the conference shouldn't change anything because one or two schools don't like a certain event.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

DULY NOTED

cghs82
JV Team

Post by cghs82 »

Maintaining a conference tradition, I can accept that.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

same here. actually I had no idea.

goUK
Varsity

Post by goUK »

I like tradition, but the mass majority thinks previews are pointless bcz no one shows or plays how they really are going to play. I think the ovc/soc preview is spot on.

Grove4Life
Riding the Bench

Post by Grove4Life »

goUK wrote:I like tradition, but the mass majority thinks previews are pointless bcz no one shows or plays how they really are going to play. I think the ovc/soc preview is spot on.

Do you think everyone will bring the "A" game to an OVC/SOC preview, it still is nothing but a glorified scrimmage.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

As a West fan I want to see them continue to challenge themselves to get better. We already play 3 of the 4 best OVC teams (Portsmouth, Coal Grove, and Fairland). Recently West has played Rock Hill, South Point, and Chesapeake and those games are just boring to watch and would do nothing to prepare West for the season. Gallipolis is a shadow of their former self. Ironton would be fine, but if we can't play Ironton every year it would be a waste. I would much rather see West stay with scrimmaging teams like Johnson Central that actually prepare you for the season.

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

Love to see a jackson / west scrimmage .

Jackson vs ironton should be played every year

kvnchambers
Varsity

Post by kvnchambers »

Don't understand what big deal is. This takes place of a 1st scrimmage. in most teams first scrimmage most of the players that have starting positions locked up. are lucky to see 10 snaps on either side of the ball. so i don't see what big deal is. To be honest with you unless you are just playing horrible competition against a team that can't compete at all. who you scrimmage makes very little difference. Cause every team goes into every scrimmage with there own checklists of things to accomplish. very rarely are both teams concentrating on same things. Your working on your timing your nomenclature, your personnel packages. down and distance and play calling has very little to do with it.

As far as playing any one you play during regular season. don't know that it makes much difference unless your playing against a first year coach somewhere. but there is so much video exchanged now days. There aren't many surprises out there about what a team is going to do anywhere anymore.

Return to “Football”