65 days till another Hocking Division beatdown

05buckeye
JV Team

Re: 65 days till another Hocking Division beatdown

Post by 05buckeye »

Dilligaf I was wondering how long it would be til you showed up lol.since davey took over we have been blown out 1 time.by an amanda-clearcreek team that had won the title the year before and made it to the finals that year and lost to st. Henry.

ONE OF A KIND
Varsity

Post by ONE OF A KIND »

DILLIGAF wrote:And then get blown out in first round of playoffs lol
Trimble has been "blown out in the first round of playoffs" many more times than NY has. Just sayin... :mrgreen:

Jason Vorhees
S

Post by Jason Vorhees »

Actually, N-Y is 0-8 since 2001 in the playoffs, while Trimble is 10-9. They have more appearances, wins and losses when it comes to playoffs. Yes, I know, N-Y has a state championship; however, that was in 1981. Almost ancient history. Trimble does have more final four appearances than N-Y. Trimble had nothing to be ashamed of in either trip. When you lose to a team like Marion Local (who has owned Coldwater recently) there is no shame in that. Why doesn't Nelsonville schedule a team like Marion Local, or even Coldwater? I guess Trimble just isn't good enough for Nelsonville. Since 2001, Nelsonville only holds an 8-6 win-loss advantage over Trimble.

LHS 72
S

Post by LHS 72 »

Jason Vorhees wrote:Actually, N-Y is 0-8 since 2001 in the playoffs, while Trimble is 10-9. They have more appearances, wins and losses when it comes to playoffs. Yes, I know, N-Y has a state championship; however, that was in 1981. Almost ancient history. Trimble does have more final four appearances than N-Y. Trimble had nothing to be ashamed of in either trip. When you lose to a team like Marion Local (who has owned Coldwater recently) there is no shame in that. Why doesn't Nelsonville schedule a team like Marion Local, or even Coldwater? I guess Trimble just isn't good enough for Nelsonville. Since 2001, Nelsonville only holds an 8-6 win-loss advantage over Trimble.
Yea BUT please remember that N-Y Still has the BIG one in there trophy case!
As for this year this game will be decided on home field advantage and mistakes! Two evenly matched teams!

ONE OF A KIND
Varsity

Post by ONE OF A KIND »

Jason Vorhees wrote:Actually, N-Y is 0-8 since 2001 in the playoffs, while Trimble is 10-9. They have more appearances, wins and losses when it comes to playoffs. Yes, I know, N-Y has a state championship; however, that was in 1981. Almost ancient history. Trimble does have more final four appearances than N-Y. Trimble had nothing to be ashamed of in either trip. When you lose to a team like Marion Local (who has owned Coldwater recently) there is no shame in that. Why doesn't Nelsonville schedule a team like Marion Local, or even Coldwater? I guess Trimble just isn't good enough for Nelsonville. Since 2001, Nelsonville only holds an 8-6 win-loss advantage over Trimble.
What is the avg score of the wee cats losses in the playoffs compared to NY? :mrgreen:

oldschool
Freshman Team

Post by oldschool »

Ground Buck wrote:
DILLIGAF wrote:And then get blown out in first round of playoffs lol
Trimble has been "blown out in the first round of playoffs" many more times than NY has. Just sayin... :mrgreen:

I guess you actually need to make it there to get blown out. Just saying

oldschool
Freshman Team

Post by oldschool »

LHS 72 wrote:
As for this year this game will be decided on home field advantage and mistakes! Two evenly matched teams!

My god yes lets not forget about that 40 year old trophy

ONE OF A KIND
Varsity

Post by ONE OF A KIND »

TheLot wrote:
LHS 72 wrote:

My god yes lets not forget about that 40 year old trophy
And don't forget about the all time record between these two teams. :lol: :mrgreen: :lol:

Lard76
Waterboy

Post by Lard76 »

Just like every game this one is won in the trenches!! Anyone have any insight on the lines for these teams? Go BUCKS

mister b
SEOP

Post by mister b »

tomcat fan wrote:A lot harder to win a state title now with 8 teams per region compared to 4 back then. Not to mention how many 5 seeds or higher have won state titles who would've never qualified for playoofs back then. Congrats, keep living in the past
Just to clear up a misconception...much harder to both get in the playoffs and win a title back in the early years because only the top 2 teams (not 8 today) in each region made the playoffs and there were only 5 divisions (not 7 today).

Trimble made the playoffs in 1980 with a 10-0 record and the #1 seed in their region. Div 5 of 5

NY made the playoffs in 1981 with a 10-0 record and the #2 seed in their region. Div 4 of 5.

NY made the playoffs in 1982 with a 10-0 record and the #1 seed in their region. Div 4 of 5.

Belpre made the playoffs in 1983 with a 10-0 record and the #2 seed in their region. Div 4 of 5.

Belpre made the playoffs in 1984 with a 10-0 record and the #2 seed in their region. Div 4 of 5.

In 1993, the OHSAA went from 5 divisions to 6.

Last year they went from 6 divisions to 7.

See a pattern here for the early years? In our region of the state, (and pretty much statewide) you had to be undefeated to get into the playoffs and then you could have very well edged out another 10-0 team for the #2 seed. They didn't take the top 8 teams in every region like they do today.

Yes, back then 2 wins got you to the title game and 3 got you the title but it was every bit as tough, and in my opinion tougher, to win a title "back in the day."

Good luck and good health to all the TVC schools in their drive to win a conference title and make the playoffs.

LETS GO EAGLES!!!

Howard Cosell
All Conference

Post by Howard Cosell »

Which came first: the chicken or the egg?

Was it harder to win a state title back in the day because getting in the playoffs was extremely hard?

Or....

Is it tougher today because you have to play longer in the playoffs against top notch competition?

We can argue this one all day.

mister b
SEOP

Post by mister b »

It would be a very short day.

In 1980 you had 5 divisions with a total of 727 teams. Only 2 teams per region made the playoffs for a total of 40 teams. So only 6% of the schools had a shot of winning their division's state title.

In 2014 you had 7 divisions with a total of 718 teams. 8 teams per region made the playoffs for a total of 208 teams. (Division I only has 2 regions with 72 total teams but the top 8 still make the playoffs). So 29% of the schools had a shot of winning their division's state title.

Regardless of the year, 1980 or 2014, the regular season is only a 10 week qualifier for the playoffs.

Plus, most of today's first round games are mismatches. But, it is a big moneymaker for the OHSAA.

No matter how you look at it, it was harder with 5 divisions than 7.

Howard Cosell
All Conference

Post by Howard Cosell »

You bring up a lot of points that have nothing to do with the question at hand. In the old days it was tougher to get in true enough but you only had two games to win to get to the dance. Granted first round games are simply Ohsaa fundraisers. But after round one it gets tough and you have to be on top of your game for a month to win it. Being from belpre you wouldn't know anything about that.

Eaglepapaw
S

Post by Eaglepapaw »

HowardCosell wrote:You bring up a lot of points that have nothing to do with the question at hand. In the old days it was tougher to get in true enough but you only had two games to win to get to the dance. Granted first round games are simply Ohsaa fundraisers. But after round one it gets tough and you have to be on top of your game for a month to win it. Being from belpre you wouldn't know anything about that.
Just where are you from since you are too ashamed to list it on your profile ,how many appearances have you made to the playoffs and what makes you an expert on playoffs or anything else about High School athletics. Don't bash Belpre or any other school if you aren't man(or woman) enough to tell where you are from.

oldschool
Freshman Team

Post by oldschool »

Eaglepapaw wrote:
HowardCosell wrote:You bring up a lot of points that have nothing to do with the question at hand. In the old days it was tougher to get in true enough but you only had two games to win to get to the dance. Granted first round games are simply Ohsaa fundraisers. But after round one it gets tough and you have to be on top of your game for a month to win it. Being from belpre you wouldn't know anything about that.
Just where are you from since you are too ashamed to list it on your profile ,how many appearances have you made to the playoffs and what makes you an expert on playoffs or anything else about High School athletics. Don't bash Belpre or any other school if you aren't man(or woman) enough to tell where you are from.

This site is full of opinions! I suggest if you are that sensitive about someone speaking the truth you should head on over to the cheerleading forum!

Howard Cosell
All Conference

Post by Howard Cosell »

Eaglepapaw wrote:
WOW timmy! Hit a nerve on that one. Get mad all you want, but sometimes the truth hurts. You guys cut and run just like every other school in the ohio division and now you barely compete in the hawking division. Where I am from isn't important (Catholic) Whether or not your school has played beyond the first round is. So tell us, have they?

Eaglepapaw
S

Post by Eaglepapaw »

Howard Cossell Lied
WOW timmy! Hit a nerve on that one. Get mad all you want, but sometimes the truth hurts. You guys cut and run just like every other school in the ohio division and now you barely compete in the hawking division. Where I am from isn't important (Catholic) Whether or not your school has played beyond the first round is. So tell us, have they?

No one is getting mad and still don't know where you are from,I doubt if you went to any Catholic school and for your information my school is the 2nd winningest football program in Ohio and the winningest basketball program in the state.I support Belpre and any other schools over people like you who only want to bash them.Yes my team has played past the first round many times,winning titles multiple times and it doesn't matter how many times Belpre has done it as long as they played the best they could weather they were good enough or not.Just continue to come on here and bash teams with your hidden identity,I doubt if anybody cares about your opinions. Bye

mister b
SEOP

Post by mister b »

My points have everything to do with the question at hand. However, they have gone completely unnoticed by an ex-lawyer, turned drunken broadcaster.

In 1972, there were 3 divisions of 4 regions and only the top team from each region made the 2 game state playoff. Being a regular season regional champ automatically punched your ticket to the state semi-final game. Getting there was hard and many undefeated teams didn't make the playoffs. When you have to be perfect just to get in puts extreme pressure on a team to be at its best in every regular season game. That regular season was loaded with a murders row of teams to garner enough points just to make the playoffs.

As the playoffs expanded from 3 divisions to 5 then to 6 and finally 7, it allowed other good teams to experience the "playoff experience". Teams did not have to play a schedule full of powerhouse teams just to make the playoffs but these were still better than average teams that were in the playoffs.

Yes, today you have to play 5 games to win a title and that is tough. Personally, I think having a state tourney in any sport were that tourney is equal to one half of your regular season to crown a champ is to long, especially at the high school level.

Of the roughly 713 schools fielding HS football teams in Ohio, 610 of them have experienced playoff football at least 1 time and the vast majority of them have a losing record in the playoffs and many of them, like Belpre, have never won a playoff game but that doesn't diminish what those teams accomplished in their playoff seasons. Only 1 team is undefeated in the football playoffs; that being Norwalk HS at 2-0. They made the playoffs in 1974 and won their only state title in their only playoff experience.

Having more teams competing in fewer divisions with fewer playoff spots available AND having to play a much tougher regular season just to get in makes it a tougher job to win a state title vs today's 7 divisions and more playoff spots. The numbers don't lie.

Regardless, I still tip my cap to today's teams and their accomplishments.

Just my honest opinion.

Howard Cosell
All Conference

Post by Howard Cosell »

Eaglepapaw wrote:Howard Cossell Lied

No one is getting mad and still don't know where you are from,I doubt if you went to any Catholic school and for your information my school is the 2nd winningest football program in Ohio and the winningest basketball program in the state.I support Belpre and any other schools over people like you who only want to bash them.Yes my team has played past the first round many times,winning titles multiple times and it doesn't matter how many times Belpre has done it as long as they played the best they could weather they were good enough or not.Just continue to come on here and bash teams with your hidden identity,I doubt if anybody cares about your opinions. Bye
hey! I am just telling it like it is. Sorry you can't take it. But when the powder blue wrecking ruins your dreams of a perfect season it will be sweet for me. I guess we should give Belpre a trophy for being around so long that they have won a lot of games. woohoo. GO CRUSADERS!

Eaglepapaw
S

Post by Eaglepapaw »

HowardCosell wrote:
Eaglepapaw wrote:Howard Cossell Lied

hey! I am just telling it like it is. Sorry you can't take it. But when the powder blue wrecking ruins your dreams of a perfect season it will be sweet for me. I guess we should give Belpre a trophy for being around so long that they have won a lot of games. woohoo. GO CRUSADERS!
I said "BYE"

Return to “Football”