Whats the new normal for fundraising ?

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Whats the new normal for fundraising ?

Post by ManitouDan »

Last week the Portsmouth West team was going door to door in Portsmouth selling discount cards for 20 bucks. Thought it was strange both that a HS football team was out selling stuff to raise funds and they were selling outside their home turf . Then made a trip to Krogers and the players were down there hitting shoppers up to buy a card . Just 1 persons opinion but I found the whole thing really strange. Is this the new normal ? I thought FB generated its own funds . Didnt hear what they were fundraising for .

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Whats the new normal for fundraising ?

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

personally I think it is a very reputable way to raise funds, people have no idea what it costs to outfit just 1 football player.and I'm not saying you don't dan. but people in general don't have a hint of the cost. I prefer it to other methods, and the local merchants benefit as well.when I coached youth football we sold them.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

Football is expensive, fundraisers are a great way to help bring in a little extra to help out. It's also a great way to teach the kids some responsibility.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Don't know if they still do it but parents in California use to put Bingo games together to raise money.

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

So other local HS teams in SEO do this as well ?

Izladoom
All State

Post by Izladoom »

Most schools sells the cards now

mister b
SEOP

Post by mister b »

I think that only a very few of the biggest high schools in Ohio have their football programs fund themselves.

Even the mighty Massillon Tigers depend heavily on their booster group to help fund their football program.

Sadly, its just a way of life these days for any school sport.

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

The West kids get some pretty sweet stuff for their efforts in the fundraiser. Last year they got Nike hoodies that look just like their uniforms, the hood on them even look like their helmets.

kvnchambers
Varsity

Post by kvnchambers »

I think in a lot of schools football pays for itself. The problem is that football and basketball has to pay for all sports. or a lot of it. And saying football supports itself means yes what boosters make also. but in most programs the boosters is who runs the primary concession booth at football and that is where a lot of there money comes from. At gallia Academy we have pay for play not sure how many schools do but it is $90.00 which i think is fairly reasonable. I do believe i am right when i say Gallia Academy sports are totally self supporting as in no money comes from school or board accept coaches salaries i could be wrong.

I was shocked when i was at a meeting and realized this. It has been a few years ago. But i believe the blue devils expenses just for travel for all sports was a little over $400,000.

kvnchambers
Varsity

Post by kvnchambers »

also seems like every fund raiser must run through athletic boosters at least at gallia academy. I know a big fund raiser they have is the golf tourney that they have.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

I see no problem with going door to door to sell something or selling something at a grocery store, but doing that outside of your school district is a little strange to me. If there is an open enrollment student that knows his neighbors well, I can see that type of thing outside the district, but otherwise I believe you should stay in your area. Living in Wheelersburg, I would find it odd if an East or Green football player knocked on my door for a fundraising effort. I know my family has bought items from little league players, cheerleaders, football players, and soccer players all over the summer, but all for Wheelersburg kids.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

I would have no problem with a child from another district selling the cards at a store. say a coal grove/rock hill student selling the cards say at pick n save in ironton. the people coming there are from all over the county.----------as well as say walmart in Ashland, ky. half the shoppers there are from southern ohio anyway. the same as say a player selling cards in the the new boston walmart. these cards could be getting sold for like 7/8 different schools there.i remember buying them from rock hill and ironton when I lived at kitts hill. as well as buying a coal grove card one year.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

when I was an insurance agent, in hundreds of homes a week. I had a whole wallet full of them.

Return to “Football”