OVC Preview Schedule

IBTT
All Conference

Re: OVC Preview Schedule

Post by IBTT »

He didn't come into the game until the second quarter..last time I was explained who a starter was I thought that person usually played at least in the first quarter. But yes they played the seniors at all the positions they could for the first quarter tonight.
Last edited by IBTT on Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rv BallerBoy
Waterboy

Post by Rv BallerBoy »

Of course I could be wrong but I thought on of the freshmans names was called with first string still in

Cpeake740
Waterboy

Post by Cpeake740 »

No way that South Point finishes in first

IBTT
All Conference

Post by IBTT »

They had about two minutes in the second quarter where he was in and then Paladino scored and that was the night for most of the juniors and seniors. His name was called for the tackle three times in a row as soon as he got in. It was second team for the most part from there on. South Point will be lucky to win again the rest of the season. It's just practice :122245 :12223

todmc
Waterboy

Post by todmc »

you guys got to be kidding me. when have the previews ever mattered? its kind of like the nfl pre season, the team that dominates their games usually has a bad year because they play their starters through out the pre season. you cant tell me coal groves defense pile every one on the line and don't defend the pass.every body counts out fairland but don't realize the only points rock hill scored offensively was an uncontested field goal.last year fairland couldnt stop anyone so l think they are moving in the right direction.I thought all teams looked good in certain aspects of the game and I think anyone can win on any given night. and what about that McComas kid on chesapeake coming out of a pile of coal grove and chesapeake players and scoring a 99 yard touchdown.gonna be a fun season ;-)

LetsGoPSU
SE

Post by LetsGoPSU »

how did the Trojans look?

buckeyes41
Riding the Bench

Post by buckeyes41 »

I dont understand people on here. Yes its a scrimmage game. But Ironton had there starters out there in the first quarter and it still took them over half the quarter to put points on the board. I believe it was like 5 MIN was on the clock when palidino scored. Sp answered rite back. 7/7. And what I seen was Ironton couldn't catch that reciever for sp.. then against the Ironton starters, they couldn't catch sp runningback either. And palidino was still plaing at safety on both occasions. I agree it may b a different game week 10 but as for last nite sp did a good job against a team that everybody said is loaded. Give them some credit instead of making excuses fot the mighty tigers. On another note....I thought Chesapeake and cg looked good. Congrats to all ovc teams coming out healthy.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

sounds like a fun evening. I hope it was injury free for all.

Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Tigercannon71 »

This is coming from an unbiased look on most of the teams. I didn't get there to see Rock Hill-Fairland, but I watch the rest of the games. Most of the teams looked fair. Line play for all the teams need to improve. There are some fast back fields in all the teams. Portsmouth has some speed to them. Galliapolis needs to work on pass defense. Portsmouth had two TD although one was called back for a penalty where the receivers were wide open. Peake defense was only able to stop Coal Groves run because the Coal Groves line was worn out. If they can get in better condition Coal Grove will be pretty good. Peake had that McComas boy and he was pretty good. Now let's get to Ironton South Point. South Point came into the game like it was a Super Bowl while Ironton was taking it like a scrimmage. There was no killer instinct or enthusiasm from them. The second TD was scored on a mix of the 2's and 3's. Actually it was a busted play and they had nobody on backside to contain the play. Anyway Irontons line was suspect I think on offense, defensively they looked ok. I think the passing game will come along with some game experience. This is a first year starting QB and the receiver #6 didn't play football last year. South Point looked a lot better than last year. That running back that scored the second TD was pretty quick. Ironton though needs to get that killer instinct.

Bear
Freshman Team

Post by Bear »

I would be worried if my team was not conditioned at this point of the year. What have they been doing all summer?

osu 77
All State

Post by osu 77 »

tigercannon71 wrote:This is coming from an unbiased look on most of the teams. I didn't get there to see Rock Hill-Fairland, but I watch the rest of the games. Most of the teams looked fair. Line play for all the teams need to improve. There are some fast back fields in all the teams. Portsmouth has some speed to them. Galliapolis needs to work on pass defense. Portsmouth had two TD although one was called back for a penalty where the receivers were wide open. Peake defense was only able to stop Coal Groves run because the Coal Groves line was worn out. If they can get in better condition Coal Grove will be pretty good. Peake had that McComas boy and he was pretty good. Now let's get to Ironton South Point. South Point came into the game like it was a Super Bowl while Ironton was taking it like a scrimmage. There was no killer instinct or enthusiasm from them. The second TD was scored on a mix of the 2's and 3's. Actually it was a busted play and they had nobody on backside to contain the play. Anyway Irontons line was suspect I think on offense, defensively they looked ok. I think the passing game will come along with some game experience. This is a first year starting QB and the receiver #6 didn't play football last year. South Point looked a lot better than last year. That running back that scored the second TD was pretty quick. Ironton though needs to get that killer instinct.
I agree they need to get the killer instinct but that is hard to do with this coaching staff. They themselves lack discipline and work ethics and the killer instinct for the game. The line play is not very good at this point but with all that talent they should be better this year. I HOPE THE COMING WEEKS THEY GET BETTER!

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

It was a scrimmage and if Ironton wanted to score they could have every time they had the ball if they stayed in the T and ran Palidino. But that's against a bad South Point team. Not very realistic against good teams and especially Wheelersburg in a couple weeks. The huge line they have does nothing. The long runs SP scored on may have had some subs in, but SP shouldn't be getting 4 to 5 yards a rush against Ironton. SP also had 3 or 4 guys wide open and couldn't hit them.
Not what I expected to see after the projections on here.
Palidino is the best combination of size and speed I've seen in the area in years.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

tigercannon71 wrote:This is coming from an unbiased look on most of the teams. I didn't get there to see Rock Hill-Fairland, but I watch the rest of the games. Most of the teams looked fair. Line play for all the teams need to improve. There are some fast back fields in all the teams. Portsmouth has some speed to them. Galliapolis needs to work on pass defense. Portsmouth had two TD although one was called back for a penalty where the receivers were wide open. Peake defense was only able to stop Coal Groves run because the Coal Groves line was worn out. If they can get in better condition Coal Grove will be pretty good. Peake had that McComas boy and he was pretty good. Now let's get to Ironton South Point. South Point came into the game like it was a Super Bowl while Ironton was taking it like a scrimmage. There was no killer instinct or enthusiasm from them. The second TD was scored on a mix of the 2's and 3's. Actually it was a busted play and they had nobody on backside to contain the play. Anyway Irontons line was suspect I think on offense, defensively they looked ok. I think the passing game will come along with some game experience. This is a first year starting QB and the receiver #6 didn't play football last year. South Point looked a lot better than last year. That running back that scored the second TD was pretty quick. Ironton though needs to get that killer instinct.

I realize it's a scrimmage. but if they ain't ready to roll. well it may not happen. they should be stoked n ready to go.
who cares if people see what you have, let er rip, and let the opponent try to stop it.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Westfan wrote:It was a scrimmage and if Ironton wanted to score they could have every time they had the ball if they stayed in the T and ran Palidino. But that's against a bad South Point team. Not very realistic against good teams and especially Wheelersburg in a couple weeks. The huge line they have does nothing. The long runs SP scored on may have had some subs in, but SP shouldn't be getting 4 to 5 yards a rush against Ironton. SP also had 3 or 4 guys wide open and couldn't hit them.
Not what I expected to see after the projections on here.
Palidino is the best combination of size and speed I've seen in the area in years.
like you n osu77 says. and bear in mind I wasn't there. if you came into this not ready------------then you ain't ready.it sounds like we have the horses, it's time to get er done.

Trojan_Pride
All Conference

Post by Trojan_Pride »

I think you will see a lot more next week , im assuming starters will play 2 strong quarters and a partial 3rd.

lets not forget this tiger defense didn't give up a 1st down till like 4th or 5th drive I think!!!! the 1st TD was a kid getting loose on the side that starter (BARKER WAS NOT PLAYING)

IBTT
All Conference

Post by IBTT »

Like I mentioned earlier, and I'm not sure why the staff made this decision, but they did. The whole first quarter was ran with all seniors in every position in which they could play. There were a number of non starters who started on the line and linebackers and even the corner position. Only two minutes in the second quarter Ironton had the majority of their starters in. They were still missing a couple of kids who were hurt or sick. Ironton will be just fine this year.

kvnchambers
Varsity

Post by kvnchambers »

I only saw the first 2 games. I have now saw fairland twice against river valley and rock hill. Haven't scene a lot but seems like there coach is really trying to get what has been a bad fundamental team in the past more fundamentally sound and i did see improvements there between 2 scrimmages but that is what you expect to see. Rock hill looks better then anytime i have scene them last 3 years, but that isn't saying a whole lot. There attitude seemed better not a lot of finger pointing between kids. Portsmouth was a surprise for me, do not seem to have the talented skill players of the past but still have plenty to be competitive. People will complain about there defense but i think fans of portsmouth would be happy. there were some assignments. But the tackling was better then i have scene portsmouth in years. I think everyone associated with Gallia academy except the players were pleased at what they saw. This team is much further along then i think anyone could of hoped for. Starting center and linebacker did not play. But team was able to run plays successfully to both sides of the formation and was able to do so with different line configurations. On defense they played a much bigger offensive line but were able to control the gaps.....

But these were scrimmages and i am sure no team showed all their cards unless they don't have a jamboree game scheduled for next week. As a example Gallia Academy only ran one offensive formation. They used no motion and ran 3 different running plays and 2 different pass plays the entire scrimmage. On defense they played to different schemes but everything was straight up no blitzes and no games up front. I expect much more of the same next week at wheelersburg keeping everyone healthy. The kid that i think will be blue devils number 1 offensive threat did not even touch the ball. On defense a lot of work to do. Pass rushers need to stay in there lanes to pass rush let quarterback free to many times. Pass coverage besides 2 blown coverages on same route was not bad. 3rd big pass pay was just bad defense. Kid in great position and just used poor technique. First time on field against a different team think coaching staff overall would be pleased. especially with all the new faces.

I know in a jamboree game starters usually only go first half wont be surprised if blue devils play starters into 3rd quarter next week. I am sure on offense they want to make sure they have drop back pass protection fixed and they need to work o rolling the pocket or their quarterback instead of having him do a total roll out. he is much better from pocket.

Hope all the OVC teams stay healthy and play well as season goes on.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

I wish ironton fans were as honest as burg fans when it came to how they perceived how the scrimmages went. I've heard that several burgfans describe their scrimmage as not playing well, but tiger fans are saying it was south points Super Bowl and they only had their starters in for a little bit, or one didn't play. Palladino was running the ball with about 5 min in 2nd qtr. Ironton did not look good at all on defense. South point ran a junior high offense. Trap, sweep, isolation, and play action and they moved the ball on the starting defense. Ironton was decent on offense but did not blow south point off the ball.

Just because the tigers didn't look good, doesn't mean they can't adjust, but tiger fans need to be truthful on what they saw.

linedrive
Freshman Team

Post by linedrive »

Let's be honest here: if we go by previews to assess the best teams of the OVC, South Point and Chesapeake would be 1 and 2. Ironton is still number 1, and Coal Grove and Chesapeake are second (will be a dandy of a game week 10: whoever has the ball on the last drive will probably win).

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

It's definitely not a game plan but tackling, blocking, and allignment should be evident. I thought all teams lacked some of that in all of the games. But hey, it's early. Ironton looked the strongest. Running up the gut will be too hard on the tigers d. Which is what most ovc teams do

Return to “Football”