Week 2 Portsmouth West vs Portsmouth

High Plains Drifter
Freshman Team

Re: Week 2 Portsmouth West vs Portsmouth

Post by High Plains Drifter »

That's dumb, don't you think Portsmouth misses their seniors too or allother schools for that matter.

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

I maybe wrong. Did I see 5 or 6 sophomores on the field at the same time on defense some tonight.

Grandma
Waterboy

Post by Grandma »

High Plains Drifter wrote:That's dumb, don't you think Portsmouth misses their seniors too or allother schools for that matter.
Not necessarily. Some teams (like west) will miss their seniors a lot more than others bc of the large role they played for the team. They were very dependable but now you lose that dependability and you dont know who is the go to or playmakers. Maybe not have one maybe not found it yet

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

sportsman678 wrote:
High Plains Drifter wrote:That's dumb, don't you think Portsmouth misses their seniors too or allother schools for that matter.
Not necessarily. Some teams (like west) will miss their seniors a lot more than others bc of the large role they played for the team. They were very dependable but now you lose that dependability and you dont know who is the go to or playmakers. Maybe not have one maybe not found it yet
No it's not dumb. It's a fact.
West lost their quarterback, tailback, and both receivers from last year. Quarterback was a 3 year starter. Welch was maybe the best tailback in the SOC II. Davis and Howell were excellent receivers.
Then you loose your new quarterback in the first half of the first game.
We also have basically no juniors. Because of that they are playing several sophomores. Some are not ready for varsity (Reid and Douthat being the exceptions).

so.stormmom
Freshman Team

Post by so.stormmom »

Suck it up you got beat makes your program look bad when you make excuses west must rrally be down

SouthGallia#1 in bball
Riding the Bench

Post by SouthGallia#1 in bball »

Wah! Wah! Wah! Wah!

Y'all lost to a team who was blanked at home last week, move onto next week without making excuses.

If the Cider Drinkers are all sophomores, then you should be excited for the future and not worry about losses now.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Saturday Portsmouth was definitely the better team. No doubt about that. Congrats to Portsmouth and their Coach on his first victory.

West definitely needs to regroup or it's gonna be a long year.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

congratulations to the Trojans.

goUK
Varsity

Post by goUK »

All summer i've been saying that portsmouth will have a winning record this year

local superstar
All State

Post by local superstar »

Portsmouth is on the right track but they arent very strong IMO.Could not believe that West got pushed around by them. What happened to the West Side strength? I didnt see this game but heard West is weaker than they used to be. I also was told the soph QB did a good job. How is the senior QB and will he be able to return anytime soon or at all?

Moses Guthrie
Varsity

Post by Moses Guthrie »

The Trojans have been searching for an identity since the graduation of Robinson and Dickerson as well as Oliver, who's year was cut short last year due to injury. These were 3 of the top offensive playmakers in the area last year. Offensively they were able to compete with most teams around as indicated by the first two games of '14 vs Valley and West, both high scoring very competitive losses for the Trojans. Defensively was where the wheels fell off. PHS never controlled the tempo of the game offensively and found the defense on the field a majority of the time while struggling with their schemes as well..
The new staff has instilled a more traditional offense. This was a major factor during the 2nd half as the Trojans went power I and ran approximately 7 minutes off late in the game to almost run out the clock. West used all 3 of their timeouts during this series and eventually got the ball back with a little under 2 minutes left, but the Trojan defense stiffened.
The more traditional offense and long drive afforded the Trojan defense to ultimately get a stop. It has been several years since this has held true for a PHS unit. It's very refreshing to win a tough hard fought game in which both teams score under 20..
Congratulations coach Duncan on your first victory and good luck to the Senators the rest of the year.

vctransplant
All Conference

Post by vctransplant »

sportsman678 wrote:I think people have given west more credit than deserved. Its not that portsmouth is that good i just think west is that down this year. The senators are really missing their graduated seniors
I guess you are saying that West is down enough to lose to a "not that good" team. Which means .....West is what? How about giving the Trojans some love.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Portsmouth isn't bad. Good size and skill. They've definitely improved from the previews.

West stopped the power plays until late in the game. Could not defend the pass and couldn't get off the field.
I don't know what time of possession was, but it had to be heavy in favor of Portsmouth.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Lot of talk after valley/portsmouth game about whether valley is that good, or if portsmouth is that bad? Sounds like Valley is that good this year*

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Valley is good but Portsmouth is not. They are headed in the right direction but they aren't there yet.

osu 77
All State

Post by osu 77 »

Westfan wrote:Portsmouth isn't bad. Good size and skill. They've definitely improved from the previews.

West stopped the power plays until late in the game. Could not defend the pass and couldn't get off the field.
I don't know what time of possession was, but it had to be heavy in favor of Portsmouth.
I am not sure did West have about 20 Seniors this year?

LetsGoPSU
SE

Post by LetsGoPSU »

Congratulations to Coach Aaron Duncan, win number 1 of many! And to the Young men of Troy, lets keep it going, give The Burg everything you have and let those chips fall where they will. Im once again a proud Trojan!

Game day
All State

Post by Game day »

Yes West had around 20 Seniors with a great deal of experience may be Portsmouth is that good. Because West has the best coaching family around it could not be bad coaching.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Seniors
1Braedon Oliver
2John Berry
3Job Swords
4Nick Frasure
5Adam Baker
6Patrick Bays
7James Copas
8Wesley Bailey
9Josh Davis
10Shannon Crisp
11Sam Kegley
12TJ Swords
13Brady Renolds
14Austin Kammer
15Zack Smith
Several have little to no varsity experience.
9 juniors. 4 juniors seeing varsity time

Last year I think West started 7 or 8 seniors on offense and the rest were juniors. One freshman and one sophomore were in the defensive rotation.

Last night West started 5 sophomores and 2 juniors on defense.

Piratefan2
Varsity

Post by Piratefan2 »

What was it I said would happen in this game??? I've seen Portsmouth play Valley and in the second half, they held Valley on their 2 pos. I knew west would screw up and lose this game and I called it right from an earlier post. West always, it seems like, struggle to beat Portsmouth year after year.

Return to “Football”