Week 3: Portsmouth West @ Coal Grove

dreamweaver
Varsity

Re: Week 3: Portsmouth West @ Coal Grove

Post by dreamweaver »

If we have our quarterback back this week that will make us a lot more relevant.

ViKiNgEttE
Waterboy

Post by ViKiNgEttE »

dreamweaver wrote:If we have our quarterback back this week that will make us a lot more relevant.
I can agree with that statement

Badboy
Varsity

Post by Badboy »

0-2 west team is more relevant than a 1-1 Wellston team who beat Huntington. At least to everyone besides the good folks in Wellston.

If Wellston makes the playoffs this year and proves me wrong I would not be mad about it.

West has much more expectations with its coaching staff and history of good football. Wellston hasn't been more than another win for a large amount of southern Ohio teams as of late. I guess we will find out if they are good or another easy win as the season unfolds.

ViKiNgEttE
Waterboy

Post by ViKiNgEttE »

Badboy wrote:0-2 west team is more relevant than a 1-1 Wellston team who beat Huntington. At least to everyone besides the good folks in Wellston.

If Wellston makes the playoffs this year and proves me wrong I would not be mad about it.

West has much more expectations with its coaching staff and history of good football. Wellston hasn't been more than another win for a large amount of southern Ohio teams as of late. I guess we will find out if they are good or another easy win as the season unfolds.
That is past years, this is this year that is my point. Wellston has a history of good football as well, But I am confident in this year's team and ability of the coaching staff. I am tired of wellston being seen as an easy win which they aren't.. we play our first game against a team we shouldn't be playing but we do because the schools need the money. Other than that we fair well in non league games most years I will give you the recent history of wellston football being poor though don't get me wrong. But we are not and haven't been an easy win.

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

Hopefully the starting center will be back this week too. He was also missed on defense last week.

linedrive
Freshman Team

Post by linedrive »

IMO: Coal Groves worst enemy is.... Themselves. They played two really good teams that will probably win their respective regions. And anyone who was there will tell you, If it wasn't for costly mistakes and not capitalizing on opportunities, both games would've been closer. CG has a lot of work to do with wrapping on the defensive side, and not fumbling. Special teams need help too. The two games and two scrimmages I've went to, I've seen a big difference in physicality. Coal Grove will hit you in the mouth.

I've said it: we are dealing with a young and inexperienced team. We will be able to tell a lot about this team this week.

I say Coal Grove wins 35-20

Badboy
Varsity

Post by Badboy »

Gusmacker11 wrote:
Badboy wrote:0-2 west team is more relevant than a 1-1 Wellston team who beat Huntington. At least to everyone besides the good folks in Wellston.

That is past years, this is this year that is my point. Wellston has a history of good football as well, But I am confident in this year's team and ability of the coaching staff. I am tired of wellston being seen as an easy win which they aren't.. we play our first game against a team we shouldn't be playing but we do because the schools need the money. Other than that we fair well in non league games most years I will give you the recent history of wellston football being poor though don't get me wrong. But we are not and haven't been an easy win.
I would love to see Wellston back on track. Much easier said than done after having year after year of mediocre to average football.

Best of luck this year.

wemufans
All Conference

Post by wemufans »

GoBigGrover wrote:
nutronron2012 wrote:I think Coal Grove wins this. They are very physical and didn't look bad
Up until the forth quarter it was a heck of a ball game against Valley. Coal Grove just couldn't capitalize.

28-7 at the half I was there, if Coal Grove did get all those homer calls in the 3rd and 4 quarters this would have been way worse!

Grove4Life
Riding the Bench

Post by Grove4Life »

wemufans wrote:
GoBigGrover wrote:
nutronron2012 wrote:I think Coal Grove wins this. They are very physical and didn't look bad
Up until the forth quarter it was a heck of a ball game against Valley. Coal Grove just couldn't capitalize.

28-7 at the half I was there, if Coal Grove did get all those homer calls in the 3rd and 4 quarters this would have been way worse!
:lol:

Have to laugh when Scioto County people talk about homer calls.

nutronron2012
All State

Post by nutronron2012 »

You always have to be 14+ points better to beat Coal Grove at Coal Grove. You get off the bus down 14, but a win is a win. CG will always get homer call and other phantom penalties. You just have to be more physical and break their will. You wont win a close game against CG at CG.

Whodey
Freshman Team

Post by Whodey »

Wrong on a couple fronts and semi-right on another.

This year a 1-1 Wellston squad and what I believe will be this Friday a 2-1 Wellston team is significantly more relevant than West this year.

Just like last year when a new coach moved into West and shook things up, Wellston has the benefit of that this year along with a senior class that has now tasted some success, and frankly the expectations of playing in Week 11 are quite real. Actually hoping West can pull off a win this week so that when we play West and win we will garner some points toward that goal at the end of the regular season.

Semi-right on the history of good football in Wellston in recent history, but go back a ways and it is not necessarily always been like that. This year is different and I think you will realize that in Week 4, but one week at a time, I look for us to continue our winning ways this week against Adena.

nutronron2012
All State

Post by nutronron2012 »

Dandy Don wrote:

Wrong on a couple fronts and semi-right on another.

This year a 1-1 Wellston squad and what I believe will be this Friday a 2-1 Wellston team is significantly more relevant than West this year.

Just like last year when a new coach moved into West and shook things up, Wellston has the benefit of that this year along with a senior class that has now tasted some success, and frankly the expectations of playing in Week 11 are quite real. Actually hoping West can pull off a win this week so that when we play West and win we will garner some points toward that goal at the end of the regular season.

Semi-right on the history of good football in Wellston in recent history, but go back a ways and it is not necessarily always been like that. This year is different and I think you will realize that in Week 4, but one week at a time, I look for us to continue our winning ways this week against Adena.
Who Cares?!?!?!?
This is a "West Portsmouth @ Coal Grove3" Thread. Don't think anyone one from West cares anything about the Wellston Game yet. Make a Wellston Thread. This is a Coal Grove Thread but if you want an early pick. West IS GOOD ENOUGH to beat Wellston (even in the condition they are in) and will.

wemufans
All Conference

Post by wemufans »

Up until the forth quarter it was a heck of a ball game against Valley. Coal Grove just couldn't capitalize.[/quote]

28-7 at the half I was there, if Coal Grove did get all those homer calls in the 3rd and 4 quarters this would have been way worse![/quote]

:lol:

Have to laugh when Scioto County people talk about homer calls.[/quote]
Lawrence County fan BTW, been going to games at the Grove for almost 50 years. I call it like I see it!

osu 77
All State

Post by osu 77 »

I beleive this will be close one. I will take West by 6 just becasue CG has a new coaching staff.

sballchck
Freshman Team

Post by sballchck »

This game is a character check for both sides.
I predict that whoever gives up the first score will start to self destruct.
Maybe I'm wrong, but when you are 0-2, and get behind in a game, it is hard to come back from that.
Whoever scores first will win this one.

DragonMom
Riding the Bench

Post by DragonMom »

picking grove but should be a good game of 0-2 teams

local superstar
All State

Post by local superstar »

West should look a lot different this week with their QB back. Stop him and Grove wins.

dreamweaver
Varsity

Post by dreamweaver »

Let's go WEST!

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

I wander how it would be if they left Douthat at qb and put Berry at tb. Just a thought.

lostcause
Freshman Team

Post by lostcause »

Coal grove will not win a game this year with offensive play calling like that. . Horrible. .they didn't even play there best players . Stupid . Just plain stupid.
Last edited by lostcause on Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Football”