Wk 5: Wheelersburg @ Jackson

Whodey
Freshman Team

Re: Wk 5: Wheelersburg @ Jackson

Post by Whodey »

Took in the Saturday Granville game.

Whoever said above that Jackson is basically the same team as last year is wrong. They may be somewhat close to that defensively, maybe, although maybe not; but, offensively they are nowhere near last year.

The difference is on the line, they lost D1 player that probably was best blocker technique wise to suit up, they lost 1-2 other senior linemen that were either all league/district/or maybe even HM state players I don't recall. But they are not gonna run the ball against Burg, barely ran it against little ole Granville. Only a one score game at halftime I think. If you think the Burg staff didn't watch the Wellston or Granville film and how each disrupted the line play of Jackson to short-circuit the run game you are mistaken.

Advantage very well could be to the SOC team this year, but I have not seen them play. Just telling you in my way of thinking they are not the threat offensively they were last year without the blocking up front. Should be a very good game though I agree with that part.

grndma1
SEOPS HO

Post by grndma1 »

I'm really looking forward to this game. I've heard a lot of talk in town about this one. I just hope all the kids stay healthy and injury free and that we have a bigger crowd than Diamond Rio up town. I love it when the stadium is packed. Go Red !!!!

schmittie32
Riding the Bench

Post by schmittie32 »

doubleplay643 wrote:Last year there there was an element of "surprise" when Jackson traveled to Burg. The previous two years had not even been close or competitive, and no matter how many times you tell 16-18 year olds to take a team or game serious after several years of domination I doubt they put much stock in it,

This year no surprise, we have their attention, they remember last year and our frosh squad just played them and had success. So no one is sleeping on us this year.

Burg and Granville both similar in speed and physicality I think, but the approach will be different. I think Burg will be much, much less conservative and take some chances downfield vertically rather than the shorter routes Granville concentrated on early in the game. Our "weakness" defensively is our strength which is how we fly to ball...I think Burg will try and use that against us with some screens, misdirection or even some gimmick plays maybe.

Similar game plan for Jackson this week I imagine try and control LOS and dictate play and keep ball out of Burg and all their athlete's hands.

End of day this game about defense and avoiding the big play and/or turnovers.
I watched burg play against Ironton and their longest completed pass was 17 yards and that was on the third play of the game. Burg ran their traditional spread offense but focused more on stretching Ironton horizontally (jet sweeps, wr screens, spread option, quick out passes etc.) as opposed to stretching them vertically. Burg has a huge offensive line but Ironton did an excellent job of shutting down their run game except for a couple plays. If Jackson avoids penalties and turnovers they win this game pretty soundly IMO if not then Burg will take advantage and maybe even win this game.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Keep in mind on the ironton game that burg had new lineman, new QB and new receivers. 90% of that offense that night flowed through 8 and 21. I expect burg to know a little more what they have offensively. I have not seen Jackson play but from what I've read seem to be pretty good. Emotion and special teams will probably decide the outcome of this one. Of burg can keep Jackson on their heels and have decent field position, they can go up there and pull out a win.

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

wobycat wrote:Keep in mind on the ironton game that burg had new lineman, new QB and new receivers. 90% of that offense that night flowed through 8 and 21. I expect burg to know a little more what they have offensively. I have not seen Jackson play but from what I've read seem to be pretty good. Emotion and special teams will probably decide the outcome of this one. Of burg can keep Jackson on their heels and have decent field position, they can go up there and pull out a win.
Excellent point Woby. This whole offense is new. They are gaining momentum tho and look for that trend to continue Friday night. I am kinda looking at it this way. Jackson is a D3 school, IF they win, they should have. Nothing really for the Burg kids to hang their heads about. I know we are going to bring the fight to Alumni stadium. This one will be close. Especially if Burg changes up their signs before Friday night. :-D

doubleplay643
S

Post by doubleplay643 »

Jolly P(irate) wrote: Excellent point Woby. This whole offense is new. They are gaining momentum tho and look for that trend to continue Friday night. I am kinda looking at it this way. Jackson is a D3 school, IF they win, they should have. Nothing really for the Burg kids to hang their heads about. I know we are going to bring the fight to Alumni stadium. This one will be close. Especially if Burg changes up their signs before Friday night. :-D
Lol Jolly Pirate if you are going to throw out the D3 vs D5 thing lol then I am going to call out all the 8th grade Burg players that drove themselves to Jackson when they beat us this year in a scrimmage at Jackson Middle School :122249

Besides you guys are ranked 3rd today in the D5 AP Poll....that has to mean something and even it out lol.

Senatorz10
Freshman Team

Post by Senatorz10 »

Burg plays tough, but going to Jackson makes the difference... Ironmen over the Pirates 28-21

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

doubleplay643 wrote:
Jolly P(irate) wrote: Excellent point Woby. This whole offense is new. They are gaining momentum tho and look for that trend to continue Friday night. I am kinda looking at it this way. Jackson is a D3 school, IF they win, they should have. Nothing really for the Burg kids to hang their heads about. I know we are going to bring the fight to Alumni stadium. This one will be close. Especially if Burg changes up their signs before Friday night. :-D
Lol Jolly Pirate if you are going to throw out the D3 vs D5 thing lol then I am going to call out all the 8th grade Burg players that drove themselves to Jackson when they beat us this year in a scrimmage at Jackson Middle School :122249

Besides you guys are ranked 3rd today in the D5 AP Poll....that has to mean something and even it out lol.
:lol: I was wondering who would be the first to get their undies in a bunch. And no that would be the freshmen class. If they could drive in the 8th grade they would be too old to play their senior year.

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

Dandy Don wrote:Took in the Saturday Granville game.

Whoever said above that Jackson is basically the same team as last year is wrong. They may be somewhat close to that defensively, maybe, although maybe not; but, offensively they are nowhere near last year.

The difference is on the line, they lost D1 player that probably was best blocker technique wise to suit up, they lost 1-2 other senior linemen that were either all league/district/or maybe even HM state players I don't recall. But they are not gonna run the ball against Burg, barely ran it against little ole Granville. Only a one score game at halftime I think. If you think the Burg staff didn't watch the Wellston or Granville film and how each disrupted the line play of Jackson to short-circuit the run game you are mistaken.

Advantage very well could be to the SOC team this year, but I have not seen them play. Just telling you in my way of thinking they are not the threat offensively they were last year without the blocking up front. Should be a very good game though I agree with that part.
Jackson rushed for almost 300 yards Saturday and held an undefeated Granville to 40 yards rushing . Your statements have no merit

PIGSKIN
Freshman Team

Post by PIGSKIN »

Old Don just can't get one right when Jacksons involved. I didn't see any back flips and this team is just starting to grow up and they have played two really good teams. Rushed for 300 plus yards last week and Qb went out after one Run in second half.

tiger101
Waterboy

Post by tiger101 »

Jolly P(irate) wrote:
wobycat wrote:Keep in mind on the ironton game that burg had new lineman, new QB and new receivers. 90% of that offense that night flowed through 8 and 21. I expect burg to know a little more what they have offensively. I have not seen Jackson play but from what I've read seem to be pretty good. Emotion and special teams will probably decide the outcome of this one. Of burg can keep Jackson on their heels and have decent field position, they can go up there and pull out a win.
Excellent point Woby. This whole offense is new. They are gaining momentum tho and look for that trend to continue Friday night. I am kinda looking at it this way. Jackson is a D3 school, IF they win, they should have. Nothing really for the Burg kids to hang their heads about. I know we are going to bring the fight to Alumni stadium. This one will be close. Especially if Burg changes up their signs before Friday night. :-D
So apparently, JP changed Burg's slogan to "Do What Wheelersburg Does, unless the school is bigger." That's going to be difficult to get on a t shirt. C'Mon man!

PIGSKIN
Freshman Team

Post by PIGSKIN »

Ironmen defense will be to fast and physical for burg and they tackle in space to well burgs real threat 21 I think is nice player but Jackson has seen a couple guy like that this year and handled them. Offense Jackson will pound away and wear burg down then burg will have to tackle in space and Jackson has stable of 5-6 backs to run fresh legs at them.

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

Glad to see that ontheriver has found a new way to annoy Jackson fans. Act like he's from Jackson and talk trash to our opponents.

I hope the Wheelersburg fans are not fooled by him.

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

willthegame wrote:
Jolly P(irate) wrote:
So apparently, JP changed Burg's slogan to "Do What Wheelersburg Does, unless the school is bigger." That's going to be difficult to get on a t shirt. C'Mon man!
You're right..... It'll be easier to make a shirt that says "Jackson, where D5 reigns" 8)

Piratefan2
Varsity

Post by Piratefan2 »

Now thats funny right there :lol:
If Burg can't stop Jacksons running game then they will lose, not too sure how many yds a game Burg has on the average this year so far but Im thinking its really not too many, and like somebody else said in an earlier post....Burg really hasn't thrown the ball deep this that much if any at all?????
I'm still going to go with Burg in a close one but only cause we have a kicker that can get the job done when needed!

Tjhtygeverve
SE

Post by Tjhtygeverve »

Someone's gonna man up & shows who's the best. Neither has had any true competition. Id love to see Burg take this & basically gobble up home game playoff points. Either way, Burg is cream of the crop in extremely weak 17.
Jackson has difficult region & if they can't beat burg... Game 12 is as far as they go.
Good luck.
Get'em Burg!!!

Ontheriver
Freshman Team

Post by Ontheriver »

ironman02 wrote:Glad to see that ontheriver has found a new way to annoy Jackson fans. Act like he's from Jackson and talk trash to our opponents.

Ironman02 you can make out with the Burg people after the game if you want but no need to do it on here.

We are the Ironmen and we will win this game its a fact like it or not. No need to hold back the truth as Trump would say. So Ironman02 stand up and support those Ironmen.

nutronron2012
All State

Post by nutronron2012 »

Good Luck Burg. This will be a very tough task. Do the SOC proud.

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

Ontheriver wrote:
ironman02 wrote:Glad to see that ontheriver has found a new way to annoy Jackson fans. Act like he's from Jackson and talk trash to our opponents.

Ironman02 you can make out with the Burg people after the game if you want but no need to do it on here.

We are the Ironmen and we will win this game its a fact like it or not. No need to hold back the truth as Trump would say. So Ironman02 stand up and support those Ironmen.
The fact is that this game has yet to be played. Heard they are serving crow in the home concessions this weekend.

Bring the Heat
Freshman Team

Post by Bring the Heat »

I heard they were serving fresh "BURG" on a platter!!!!!

Return to “Football”