Week 7 - Oak Hill @ Northwest

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Re: Week 7 - Oak Hill @ Northwest

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

You would only have to go for 2 quarters. IF they make it in they will get massacred. Look at the Minford game. That's all I need to say.

Keyser_sozeThrice
S

Post by Keyser_sozeThrice »

I will be covering this game on Friday night, making my first trip to Northwest to cover a football game there. Good luck to both teams.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"I don't care if we have to work time-and-a-half, I don't care if we have to work double time, but mark my words we are going to nail these punks starting now!" — Police Academy 2 :lol: :mrgreen:

Jason Vorhees
S

Post by Jason Vorhees »

Oak Hill has been in the SOC1 since 1992. Why complain about it now? They have been in the conference for 23 years now.

pmow3
Varsity

Post by pmow3 »

Why is everyone complaining about this?
This is the SOC Conference's fault for not adding Portsmouth and Ironton a long time ago. If the SOC and OVC would've merged, you could've had competitive schedule balance across the board for every team in the SOC 1, SOC 2, and OVC.
It would've been perfect for everybody.
3 balanced divisions!!
Ironton
Wheelersburg
Portsmouth
Waverly
Minford
Valley

Coal Grove
Fairland
South point
Rock hill
Northwest
Chesapeake

Notre Dame
Oak Hill
East
Eastern
Green
Symmes Valley

You talk about a flexible schedule!!
The SOC could send their "best" to the playoffs every year!!
All the AD's would have to do is...
Play your conference division games and then decide if you are playing up or down and schedule the division above or below you. If you see a situation (like Valley might be in in the next few years) and see a few down years coming, then schedule down. If an Oak Hill or somebody sees good years coming, schedule up.
Require that every team must play 7 games within the mega conference, then schedule 3 non conference games with local rivals or whoever.
It's so stupid they didn't do this a long time ago. It would guarantee every good team a shot in the playoffs regardless of size. And would give all big schools a chance to schedule big non conference games (Ashland/Jackson) if they choose to. Smaller teams like green can still play (Manchester, Millersport or whoever) to build some credit.

I don't get it. It would be so easy and you'd have great games every Friday! With 3 gold trophies to give to all 3 divisions.

But it's pointless to blame NW or oak hill or (years ago-Valley) for where they are in divisions.
That decision is made by more people not associated with their schools than "associated"

Mailman
All Conference

Post by Mailman »

Jason Vorhees wrote:Oak Hill has been in the SOC1 since 1992. Why complain about it now? They have been in the conference for 23 years now.
Oak hill has only been in SOC1 football for 7 years. This is 8th. I think. I like pmow's idea!! We could call it the SOVC?!

Old Bulldog
Freshman Team

Post by Old Bulldog »

pmow3 wrote:Why is everyone complaining about this?
This is the SOC Conference's fault for not adding Portsmouth and Ironton a long time ago. If the SOC and OVC would've merged, you could've had competitive schedule balance across the board for every team in the SOC 1, SOC 2, and OVC.
It would've been perfect for everybody.
3 balanced divisions!!
Ironton
Wheelersburg
Portsmouth
Waverly
Minford
Valley

Coal Grove
Fairland
South point
Rock hill
Northwest
Chesapeake

Notre Dame
Oak Hill
East
Eastern
Green
Symmes Valley

You talk about a flexible schedule!!
The SOC could send their "best" to the playoffs every year!!
All the AD's would have to do is...
Play your conference division games and then decide if you are playing up or down and schedule the division above or below you. If you see a situation (like Valley might be in in the next few years) and see a few down years coming, then schedule down. If an Oak Hill or somebody sees good years coming, schedule up.
Require that every team must play 7 games within the mega conference, then schedule 3 non conference games with local rivals or whoever.
It's so stupid they didn't do this a long time ago. It would guarantee every good team a shot in the playoffs regardless of size. And would give all big schools a chance to schedule big non conference games (Ashland/Jackson) if they choose to. Smaller teams like green can still play (Manchester, Millersport or whoever) to build some credit.

I don't get it. It would be so easy and you'd have great games every Friday! With 3 gold trophies to give to all 3 divisions.

But it's pointless to blame NW or oak hill or (years ago-Valley) for where they are in divisions.
That decision is made by more people not associated with their schools than "associated"
Looks like Portsmouth West is the odd man out in this league. :-D I assume West would be in with Ironton, Burg and Valley. This would work for football but for boys basketball it would need to be changed.

footballMan
Waterboy

Post by footballMan »

mailman wrote:
Jason Vorhees wrote:Oak Hill has been in the SOC1 since 1992. Why complain about it now? They have been in the conference for 23 years now.
Oak hill has only been in SOC1 football for 7 years. This is 8th. I think. I like pmow's idea!! We could call it the SOVC?!
Wrong mailman.
Oak Hill has been in the SOC1 since 1992. Jason is correct.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Old Bulldog wrote: Looks like Portsmouth West is the odd man out in this league. :-D I assume West would be in with Ironton, Burg and Valley. This would work for football but for boys basketball it would need to be changed.
Maybe we could cry and they would let us move in basketball :122245

Mailman
All Conference

Post by Mailman »

footballMan wrote:
mailman wrote:
Wrong mailman.
Oak Hill has been in the SOC1 since 1992. Jason is correct.
Sorry!! I'm a Portsmouth grad. Not too familiar with SOC history. I could talk about OKAC!! Lol

Panther72
Waterboy

Post by Panther72 »

Man I love this idea of the SOCV all three divisions our really balanced and the conference title would be realistic for most of the division year in and out. Send your league proposal to the big shots that setup the SOC now.

pmow3
Varsity

Post by pmow3 »

Yes. West would be up in the big division. Sorry.
Somebody else mentioned that they didn't think it would work for basketball and other sports...
South Webster would go to one of the three. Probably middle group. And I don't know why it wouldn't work? You play each team in your group twice and schedule whoever you want in your other 8 or 10 games.... Just like you do now..
I don't see that it wouldn't work at all.

courier
All Conference

Post by courier »

People get comfortable in their little insignificant world and they can't handle any sort of change. Truly, they are creatures of habit unwilling and unable to adapt/change. The competition would be stronger across the board, the drives would be minimal and the gates would be huge as new/different rivalries emerged. It won't work because the politics of old won't allow it to work. You have been touting this conference for a long time, PMOW3, and I wholeheartedly agree with you. If you can't win in the conference you don't deserve a dance in week 11 or any other postseason sport.

Mailman
All Conference

Post by Mailman »

The small division would be tougher in basketball. Have to add st Joe, western, new Boston and clay but could move someone up

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

GOOD LUCK TO DA OAKS.

Mailman
All Conference

Post by Mailman »

Winner should win conference if OH wins no one from SOC 1 makes playoffs if NW wins they shouldn't but might. Don't care who wins. Good luck to both teams!!!

Mohawknation33
Riding the Bench

Post by Mohawknation33 »

28-21 Mohawks. Coach has to keep his playbook open. Take some chances and use some misdirection like they did last week. Good luck Mohawks

Kenraken Ahta
JV Team

Post by Kenraken Ahta »

Well, I guess that is about as big of a "heart breaker" of a loss as these kids and this program has had in a long time. The silver lining is that to suffer "heart break" you gotta have some heart! And this team has that! It hurts right now, but this is still a step in the right direction for the future of the Mohawk Football Program! No quit, kept after it and played Oak Hill tough! Better days lay ahead gentlemen! There will be a winning record at the end of this season for Northwest Football!!

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

Northwest should of won this game. I think the Mohawks wore down in the 2nd half. Tough loss for the Mohawks but they didn't quit, think they just wore down.

LetsGoPSU
SE

Post by LetsGoPSU »

Someone in an earlier post mentioned open enrollment. That's one of the biggest problems at northwest. That's a one way street and it only goes out. No one comes to northwest to play football but there have been a lot of good players that have lived in the northwest district and play elsewhere. You can still watch one of them play on saturdays.

nafkwah0m
Waterboy

Post by nafkwah0m »

luvbigcats wrote:
Lucky777 wrote:Does anyone have the enrollment #s of Northwest compared to the other schools in the county. I bet Oak Hill is just as big if not bigger. Maybe Oak hill and West could switch since West gets beat weekly now. It just gets old, people dogging Northwest like they have 90 kids on the team and no one plays both ways, like they are a team out of Columbus. It is a poor community and they only have like 40 kids on the team so the comments that they have more seniors than most teams in their SOC is just a stupid comment. And I agree It would be alot better getting stomped by Wheelersburg than sitting home on week 11. Don't be haters cheer these kids on, it is nice to see them winning who cares who they play[/quote

You better be glad West is not in the soc2 baby brothers league. Believe me West would beat Northwest to death. I have watched NW 3 times this year. To me it is absolute embarrassing that NW is in soc1. The Jr high is not undefeated, they are as a combined 7 and 8 grade team. The 7th grade team has lost. The 6th grade team is undefeated and really good the 5th grade is solid the 4th grade is undefeated in the league but was showed in a scrimmage agaisnt West that they need to work on some things, the 3rd grade is also solid. There is a totally different mind set now than there was a few years ago. There is still a long way to go. The main problem at NW is most of the high school kids play football from Aug to oct. West, Valley, Minford and Burg works on football year around. Football games are won in the weight room.
The teams mentioned above has more kids in th weight room in one day than the Mohawks will have in a week. Not until the Mohawks put the time in and work as hard as the 4 mention above will they ever be able to compete on a yearly basis. Sorry but that in the truth.
Sadly this is the truth. I'm glad to see Northwest having some success but until the coach spends the entire year rather than just July thru October building a football team their success will be limited to beating small schools. I was hoping that this time in soc1 would be used building up the program to rejoin soc2 by teaching work ethic and showing how it leads to success but it seems its just being used to show how winning can be accomplished by changing nothing but the schedule. So far this year northwest is on pace for the same record as last year just switching out the river valley loss with an eastern win. Good luck to the Mohawk community they do have some good classes coming up and positive role models in the community and hopefully they can start training to succeed the entire year so when they do make the playoffs it won' be a massacre. With their schedule and the players they have the playoffs are guaranteed the next 2 years. If I remember correctly the players they have now competed with the soc 2 teams in junior high finishing 6-2 or 7-1.

Return to “Football”