Northwest @ Notre Dame

Kenraken Ahta
JV Team

Northwest @ Notre Dame

Post by Kenraken Ahta »

If the Mohawks can get over the loss to the Oaks and play four solid quarters they win by a couple scores. If they don't recover they will have another "melt down" like week #10 last season. Gut check time for the boys from McDermott! I think the success of the rest of what is left of this season rests on results of this Saturday night trip to Spartan Stadium!

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Re: Northwest @ Notre Dame

Post by BigBlueNation »

Was just wandering if the Mohawks win out and finish 7-3. Have they ever finished 7-3 or better in the history of the program.

Panther72
Waterboy

Post by Panther72 »

My guess would be no... Unless they were 7-3 back in the 60's or 70's. I think they were 6-4 back in 1995 maybe.

Mailman
All Conference

Post by Mailman »

Northwest probably just too big too strong too deep. 7-3 would be a great season for Northwest but seriously, 5 wins against D7 schools? Not sure I'd be too excited about that.

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

It is a start in turning the program around.

nafkwah0m
Waterboy

Post by nafkwah0m »

Mohawks roll. No way Notre Dame can beat them the Mohawks are "just too big too strong too deep." Not sure I would call it "gut check" time though. More like winning when your suppose too. Mohawks have 3 easy wins to finish the season at 7-3. Good step in the right direction record wise.

Moses Guthrie
Varsity

Post by Moses Guthrie »

I believe it is just about time for NW to move back up. The project to move down is complete. They have rejuvenated the program from the lower levels all the way up. There is much confidence..
I foresee many SOC I schools will not be able to compete with NW in the very near future and NW is mentally where it needs to be to make the move back to SOC II..

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

Moses Guthrie wrote:I believe it is just about time for NW to move back up. The project to move down is complete. They have rejuvenated the program from the lower levels all the way up. There is much confidence..
I foresee many SOC I schools will not be able to compete with NW in the very near future and NW is mentally where it needs to be to make the move back to SOC II..
Really?

More than likely, Minford is going have to beat Waverly to avoid finishing last in the SOC II. They beat Northwest 53-0. The Mohawks are a long way from being able to consistently compete in SOC II.

Senatorz10
Freshman Team

Post by Senatorz10 »

TBH, I think we would see Oak Hill go to the SOC 2 before Northwest. I know Oak Hill has been up and down, but Oak Hill has been competetive with some SOC 2 teams in the last few years.

SvGirl07
Waterboy

Post by SvGirl07 »

Crab's brother wrote:
Moses Guthrie wrote:I believe it is just about time for NW to move back up. The project to move down is complete. They have rejuvenated the program from the lower levels all the way up. There is much confidence..
Really?

More than likely, Minford is going have to beat Waverly to avoid finishing last in the SOC II. They beat Northwest 53-0. The Mohawks are a long way from being able to consistently compete in SOC II.
That is a good point. Never understood why Northwest was allowed to move down to a division with such small schools. My question is if Northwest is going to be good for a long time and win 5 or 6 SOCs at what point do you say thats enough and send them back up. And when they are sent back up and cannot beat any of the big schools then what, send them back down?

I dont think the move should have ever been made in the first place but when it was there should have been a time frame put on it say 3-4 years and then no matter what you have to go back to the big league, and there is no chance to be moved back down. I believe all that is being done is giving the Mohawks false confidence and punishing the small schools for being small.

If you have that large an enrollment and you cant compete with comparatively sized schools that is your problem not the SOC I schools problem. Its also not the end of the world that Northwest cannot beat the SOC II schools in football, its just life and if you dont like the results figure out a way to do something about it.

Moses Guthrie
Varsity

Post by Moses Guthrie »

Crab's brother wrote:
Really?

My understanding for the move was to bring new life to the program. That has been accomplished. The lower levels are strong with numbers as well. Many more numbers than any of the other SOC I schools. I see NW being able to compete with the likes of Waverly and possibly Minford in the foreseeable future. I also do not see Valley being able to contend with NW for the next 2-3 years unless Valley receives a mass of transfers.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

Moses Guthrie wrote:
Crab's brother wrote:
Really?

My understanding for the move was to bring new life to the program. That has been accomplished. The lower levels are strong with numbers as well. Many more numbers than any of the other SOC I schools. I see NW being able to compete with the likes of Waverly and possibly Minford in the foreseeable future. I also do not see Valley being able to contend with NW for the next 2-3 years unless Valley receives a mass of transfers.
Based on what?

Will Valley experience a drop off? Probably so. But to think they couldn't "contend with Northwest" seems really out there to me.

Moses Guthrie
Varsity

Post by Moses Guthrie »

Based on the level of talent at Valley following this year, NW would beat Valley the next 2-3 years.
If NW remains in SOC I, we will never know the outcome.
NW is ready to make the move back.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

Moses Guthrie wrote:Based on the level of talent at Valley following this year, NW would beat Valley the next 2-3 years.
And is this based on Jr. High results?

Moses Guthrie
Varsity

Post by Moses Guthrie »

Crab's brother wrote:
Moses Guthrie wrote:Based on the level of talent at Valley following this year, NW would beat Valley the next 2-3 years.
Not necessarily but somewhat..
How is Valley's JV team doing this year? This entire team will comprise Valley's starting varsity squad for the next 2-3 years. Are there any juniors this year that have an impact on the varsity team?

My point is not to belittle Valley's future but to show that NW is capable of defeating Valley.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

Moses Guthrie wrote:
Crab's brother wrote:
Not necessarily but somewhat..
How is Valley's JV team doing this year? This entire team will comprise Valley's starting varsity squad for the next 2-3 years. Are there any juniors this year that have an impact on the varsity team?

My point is not to belittle Valley's future but to show that NW is capable of defeating Valley.
Valley handles JV games quite a bit different than a lot of schools. If you come to practice and participate, you are going to play on Mondays. I have never seen Darren not play kids to try to win on Mondays. I know Northwest beat them the other night 14-8 or something close to that.

Here is my thinking...Valley is going to fall off some because two classes back to back are down on talent. But there are about 40 kids 9-11 that are working everyday against one of the top teams in D6. They are getting better and better every single day. Unlike Northwest, those kids will lift year round. They are also going to be better coached (No offense to Brooks-Darren just has a proven track record).

Here is what makes me feel good as a Valley fan.....We have one of the best TE's in the district and maybe in the State in Bryce Romanello. He has been out for a few games. We bring in a JR. with little to no varsity experience and the kids goes for 101 yards the other night. It is kids like Levi Whitt that make me feel ok that the "Valley drop off" isn't going to be near as drastic as some would think.

As it is now, we have a JR starting at TE and C on offense and DT on D as well as a sophomore starting at ILB. There is also a freshman tailback that people will see plenty of in the future.

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

There is a whole different attitude in the young kids at NW now. Especially in the peewee level. These kids are working hard and have alot of talent. They sure have opened my eyes. If you don't believe me ask your peewee coaches to contact NW and set up some games. I know it's just young peewee kids but there is a big difference with these kids now and what it used to be.
They will have to moved back up to Soc2 within the next year or two.
Last edited by BigBlueNation on Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alabama mike
SE

Post by alabama mike »

The best record NW has ever had was 8-2 back in 74 I believe. There have been a few 6-4 teams and some 5-5 seasons. If memory serves, NW has only had 5 or 6 winning seasons in our history. I can promise you that Mike Brown, Mike Smith, Dave Frantz, Dick Tipton, Larry Hall, Mark Spears, Scottie Thompson and now Brooks did not work hard. They worked hard and tried to win every day.

Hopefully, NW can return to a higher level soon, that has been the goal since the move to the smaller division a couple of years ago. Some are just guessing as to why the move was made from the SOC II to the SOC I and do not know the actual facts. I suggest you call AD Dave Frantz or head coach Brooks Fry and allow them to give you factual information about the why.

Best of luck Saturday against notre dame.

Jason Vorhees
S

Post by Jason Vorhees »

The reason Northwest moved down is for two seasons: lack of interest/attempting to revitalize the football program, and: the Head "Cheese" of the SOC at the time was from Northwest and wanted the largest enrolled school to move down for a level of competitiveness. Both of these tie in hand in hand.

noles_fan
S

Post by noles_fan »

Jason Vorhees wrote:The reason Northwest moved down is for two seasons: lack of interest/attempting to revitalize the football program, and: the Head "Cheese" of the SOC at the time was from Northwest and wanted the largest enrolled school to move down for a level of competitiveness. Both of these tie in hand in hand.
Northwest isnt the largest enrolled school in the SOC, not even close.
Waverly 217
West 184
Minford 175
Northwest 157
Oak Hill 152
Burg 147
Valley 128

Why aren't you complaining about Oak Hill there is only 5 kids difference in number and the have a established winning program for years. By your logic you would have Northwest and Oak Hill in SOCII and Valley and Burg in SOCI.

Return to “Football”