Future of the SOC

one Oak
JV Team

Future of the SOC

Post by one Oak »

Oak Hill is apparently moving to the SOC 2 for football in 2019. It has also been posted that Manchester is joining the SOC 1 for football only. Is Northwest moving back to the SOC 2? Are there any other changes?

noles_fan
S

Re: Future of the SOC

Post by noles_fan »

Last i heard Northwest was staying in SOC 1

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Dude I know who is administrator at Northwest told me this weekend that it a done deal that Northwest going back to SOC II in 2019. Wasn't sure about Oak Hill.*

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Also if u look at Manchester's schedule, they essentially already playing an SOC I schedule, so might as well add em.*

BurgGrad6
SE

Post by BurgGrad6 »

If all of this is true... burg needs to get out of the soc2..

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

BurgGrad6 wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:25 pm If all of this is true... burg needs to get out of the soc2..
Burg already playing Oak Hill, so essentially just adding Northwest to this year's schedule (let them replace Fairland). If Burg stays D5, won't be a problem. If they go D4, then they gonna have to keep schools like Hartley/Watterson on schedule for the points and playoff prep.*

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

I've read and been told both about Northwest.
Seems to be a sure thing about Oak Hill.

Oak Hill would give each team 5 conference games and Northwest would be 6. Would make scheduling much easier. Weeks 1 through 4 are easier to fill.

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

Westfan wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:15 am I've read and been told both about Northwest.
Seems to be a sure thing about Oak Hill.

Oak Hill would give each team 5 conference games and Northwest would be 6. Would make scheduling much easier. Weeks 1 through 4 are easier to fill.
But do you really want to have both OH or NW in the SOCII? It may be easier on scheduling but that would make the conference much weaker with less playoff prep. Look at Fairland. They are running through the OVC. They will make the playoffs and get put out in week 11. Same for OH. What does that do For Burg and West. Nothing. I don’t care about the 5 conference games. I’m cool with just the 4. It gives everyone the opportunity to schedule up. I think it’s a dumb idea.

one Oak
JV Team

Post by one Oak »

Oak Hill at West is listed for week 9 in 2019 on Arbiter. Oak Hill to the SOC 2 was posted on another topic by a reliable source.

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

Oak Hill makes sense. It gives an even amount of teams to the Soc2 schedule. If Northwest joins it pushes the number to 7 and that makes 0 sense as you still have to find a game late in the season if you are the odd team.

Plus I don't think Northwest wants to move up. They used all of their influence and our kids can't compete and will get hurt stories to move down to Soc1. I don't think anything has changed in that regard. They were the ones who pushed not Burg or others to get them to the Soc1.

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

I will add this. It depends on the bylaws of the SOC. Northwest didn't break one when they asked to bump down (I think). I imagine the reason Oak Hill is moving up is possibly two fold. 1) they want to. 2) Eastern now has Football and you have 12 members who play and it's against the by laws (or stupid) to have 7 in SOC 1 and 5 in SOC 2. That forces both to scramble late in season to find a game as an odd schedule does. So if Oak Hill moves up then you have 6 and 6. But if the by law states that * at the time of reconfiguraton* you must divide by School size then Northwest HAS to come up.

Then in a year or whenever they can ask to move back down.

This is why South Webster is in SOC 2 for basketball because at the Time of Reconfiguration they were 8th in size. So they HAD to move up. They are now smaller than Eastern and Western (who are D3 this year) but the league can maintain its Status Quo unless it adds members. This is why South Webster would vote No on a Portsmouth or Jackson or Ironton.

It also makes sense if you are certain they are adding Manchester for SOC1 for football only. That puts the league at 7 and 6. And Northwest can simply request to move back down like they did when it was 6 and 5.

Again I'm not sure but after thinking about the SOC and it's crazy by laws it makes sense.

Tartanblue
SEO

Post by Tartanblue »

Even if you take Manchester out of the picture I believe Western will be adding varsity football soon, so it makes sense for either oak Hill or Northwest to move up.

meigswolfpack
Riding the Bench

Post by meigswolfpack »

I think Seabee holds the future of the SOC in his hands :mrgreen:
Last edited by meigswolfpack on Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

If Western joins then you could have 6 in SOC 2 and 8 in SOC1 if Manchester and Northwest are in D1.

If Western is going to have football (as they are only team in conference without soccer or football) then leave Manchester out unless you want 7 and 7 if the bylaw states you must divide equally.

Or change the bylaw.

Prime Time
S

Post by Prime Time »

After reading all the posts, I think what's best for the entire body of schools in the SOC 1 and Soc 2 would move Oak Hill and Northwest up to 2 and bring in Manchester and Western in 1. Balances both divisions out. But my point is continually backed up by one school,only seems to care about themselves and how it will look on them. There's a reason they call these leagues, and not one team leagues.My suggestion is to drop out of league and look for a stronger league up north. As I've said before , if everyone doesn't know it , your playing for second place here.

Jeep-ster
Freshman Team

Post by Jeep-ster »

"This is why South Webster is in SOC 2 for basketball because at the Time of Reconfiguration they were 8th in size. So they HAD to move up. They are now smaller than Eastern and Western (who are D3 this year) but the league can maintain its Status Quo unless it adds members. This is why South Webster would vote No on a Portsmouth or Jackson or Ironton. "

I don't think Webster was ever in SOC 1 for basketball. I imagine must have been a time when there was only the SOC, not a div. 1 or 2 and Webster went with the division 2 schools in the split. But that does not mean we were in SOC 1. You are correct in thet Webster is now slightly smaller the Eastern, Western and I think even Symmes Valley. But that shifts so much. Really Webster, Valley and Oak Hill are routinely on the line of division 3 & 4 in basketball. I've heard Valley thinks it might have a better chance in the state runs IF it did drop to Div. 4. Oak Hill dropped to Div. 4 several years ago then back to Div. 3 at next count.

And when Jackson applied to join SOC 2, I think Webster and Symmes Valley were the only "Yes" votes. :)

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

South Webster started in SOC 1. Before Oak Hill was in The SOC. Brett Roberts and Company played in SOC 1. In the mid to late 80s.

When SW moved up there was doubt they could compete but in a few years our town realized it was better.

The Soc2 in basketball was Waverly, Burg, West, Valley, Northwest and Minford. 6 teams. In the 80s

Webster was in SOC 1 East, Green, Notre Dame, Clay and New Boston. 6 teams

Not sure when Eastern joined. If they were in the SOC in the 80s not sure. If so then 7 teams.

Symmes Valley, Oak Hill, Western and possibly Eastern came later.

Jeep-ster
Freshman Team

Post by Jeep-ster »

Uhm, i'm a history buff as well and this is a history I found online. Not say u r wrong. Just seems to be some conflicting info out there. I asked an ex basketball coach one time and he wasn't sure either. He even thought Webster might have been in another league at one time.

The Southern Ohio Conference

· The Southern Ohio Conference was established in 1946

· The original charter members of the league were Central Catholic HS (Notre Dame), Glenwood HS (New Boston), Portsmouth East HS, Washington Township HS (Portsmouth West), and Waverly HS
· Minford High School joined the league in 1947 for basketball only
· In 1948 Chesapeake joined league for track only, South Point joined for baseball and track only, and Minford began play in baseball
· Wheelersburg & Dawson Bryant (Coal Grove) joined the league in 1950
· In 1951 South Point withdrew from the league
· Coal Grove withdrew from the league in 1952
· Central Catholic HS became Notre Dame High School in 1952
· Chesapeake withdrew from the league in 1954
· Piketon entered the conference in 1959 and then left in 1962
· Minford withdrew from the league in 1958 only to rejoin the league the next year
· Lucasville Valley joined the conference in 1958
· In 1960 McDermott Northwest entered league play
· Waverly withdrew from the SOC after the 1969-70 season
· In 1979 Clay, Green, & South Webster joined the league and the SOC went to two divisions
· Eastern (Pike) entered the conference in 1981
· Ironton St. Joe joined the league in 1982 and withdrew in 1989
· In 1983 Waverly re-entered conference play
· Oak Hill & Symmes Valley both entered the league in 1991 (began play w/1992-93 season)
· Western (Pike) left the Southern Hills League and joined the SOC in 2002
· Portsmouth East becomes Sciotoville Community School (East Jr.-Sr.High School) in 2002
· SOC Division I: Clay, East (Sciotoville), Eastern (Pike), Glenwood/New Boston, Green, Notre Dame, Symmes Valley, & Western (Pike)
· SOC Division II: Minford, Northwest (DI football), Oak Hill (DI football), Portsmouth West, South Webster (DI soccer & golf)), Valley (DI soccer), Waverly, & Wheelersburg

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

Your post is correct. But it shows the current SOC at the end. Note it didn't say the divisions when underneath the South Webster entered in 1979 and the conference went to 2 divisions.

1983. Soc2 had the 6 I said

And Eastern with the 6 i said were in SOC 1.

I played in SOC 2 in 1983-1986. Trust me South Webster wasn't in it.

Your posting backs up my post. Ask Mr Roberts next time you see him

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

When SW first entered the SOC they kept their affiliation with the SHL I believe and for a few years were in 2 leagues!!'

In fact i appreciate your post with the history.

It shows South Webster was in SOC1 from 1979---1992 when Oak Hill joined.
Last edited by LucasDavenport on Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Football”