Future of the SOC

GoBucks1047
Varsity

Re: Future of the SOC

Post by GoBucks1047 »

Oak Hill was able to compete with and beat Minford. I'm sure they'd be capable of beating Valley. They may not be competing for a SOC II Championship, but they can compete in the league and finish mid-pack. Northwest, not so much, they're better off for now staying in SOC I.

wchreidman
Freshman Team

Post by wchreidman »

baseball16 wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:05 pm
art_vandelay wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:35 pm More I think about it,Waverly and Wheelersburg both may be better fits in Frontier Athletic Conference going forward. The Portsmouth bypass makes travel doable for Wheelersburg. Don't want to see Burg leave SOC, but that league might suit their needs better in the coming years.*
Burg would never make it on time to any games other then Football. All other sports they show up 45 min to 1 hour late.
Driving to Washington, Greenfield, and others would be nearly impossible.LOL

Go independent! LOL
I don't see frontier taking wheelersburg because of drive times, but I would see them taking Waverly. Washington has been playing wheelersburg nonleague in many sports for years but i don't see them picking them being accepted by all member schools.

Circleville and Logan elm would be good fits for the FAC but I don't see them leaving the msl with all the coverage they get from columbus. Waverly and Unioto would be the 2 schools I see the FAC targeting but Unioto doesn't want to leave the SVC(competition) . If the FAC got 1 of those schools it would be a start and 7 teams would be fine but 8 is ideal.

When the SCOL reformed in 2004 it started with 7 and ended up with 8 . The 6 in the FAC right now are a good fit both competition and communities. So I don't think the league will rush to grab someone unless its a great fit for the other members.

I just hope I got all my FAC's straight here

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

GoBucks1047 wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:48 pm I know lol I've been trying to think how to do SOC I if they formed their own conference. I've been stuck at 11 if you take the 8 SOC I teams, and add Webster, St. Joe, and South Gallia. Haven't thought about Northwest as a 12 team, but anything's possible; OH-335 would literally divide the league 6-6 in non-football sports while football would have 7-8 teams (depends on Western). If Eastern and Western left for say the SVC, it'd be harder for be to have Northwest be in SOC I and better to have the 9 schools since travel distance within each division would be extremely unbalanced geographically in a 10 team format.

For SOC II and the OVC, if Northwest is in an SOC I conference, I'd have Portsmouth or maybe Ironton move west to an SOC II division while the OVC would have a division without Gallia Academy (who joins the TVC-Ohio) for 6-6 in all sports, but if Northwest played in SOC II as they currently do (football in SOC I only), I'd consider adding Raceland, KY non-football (plays 29 games in basketball) to allow a balanced 7-7 non-football while football remains 6-6 with a minimum 2 crossover games, but wouldn't count towards conference record. Northwest and Raceland, KY would be required to play 3 games against OVC/SOC II teams; they're able to choose which 3 teams, each other don't count. If Northwest is in SOC II all sports, that'd be the only way Gallia Academy stayed in the OVC, but Portsmouth or Ironton would have to move over to the other division to balance the league 7-7.

Also Jolly Pirate, I had the name first :P :lol:
😆. What are friends for?

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

Westfan wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:01 pm Wheelersburg doesn't want Oak Hill in the SOCII because they play them out of conference. Right now OH wins 6 to 8 games every year because they play the weak SOCI schools. If they go to the SOCII the easy secondary playoff points are gone.
That’s what I’m saying.

Jason Vorhees
S

Post by Jason Vorhees »

When Oak Hill moves up to the SOC2 for football, they will be fine. It could take a few seasons for adjustment; however, they will be fine, and here's why. Current and future enrollment. While many schools in the area have seen a fairly quick drop off in total female and male enrollment, Oak Hill (although it has dropped some) has virtually stayed the same for quite some time, with the exception of 2008 and 2009 seasons, where they dropped to Division Four for boy's basketball. For football, they moved up one division when region realignment occurred not too long ago. Oak Hill, in football at least, has marginally, if not minutely, benefited from transfers. It just simply does not occur. There has been a few in the past, but they're always from Jackson and Wellston, and usually for more personal benefit, i.e., playing time. Oak Hill really is an island unto itself in terms of transfers. The closest SOC 1 or 2 school for football to Oak Hill is Minford and Sciotoville, both being about the same time and distance away (roughly a half hour drive from both of those communities). Plus, Jackson County itself only has three school districts in it, while Scioto County has eleven: West, Northwest, Valley, Minford, South Webster, Green, Wheelersburg, Sciotoville, New Boston, Notre Dame, and Portsmouth. The only two schools that are far away from anything is Northwest and Green in terms of driving distance. Hence, why a solid program like Wheelersburg can get an influx of talent from other schools. They're appealing to many kids. The tradition, consistency (32 SOC football titles in the past 44 years), amazing facilities, great coaching, etc. That would make it appealing to any athlete who is good from the immediate area to go there. Who doesn't like to win? However, to say that Oak Hill is "garbage" is complete fallacy. Yes, in the past four years Wheelersburg has dominated them in football, only giving up 7 points. However, you also have to look at the influx of talent "The Burg" has had these previous four years. While Oak Hill and many other schools are competing for a conference championship, Wheelersburg is in contention for the Region and potential State Championship. It's like comparing apples to oranges. Historically however, Oak Hill in football has struggled with the SOC2 in football. Prior to this year, the last win against Minford was in the 2010 playoffs, the same year Oak Hill beat Wheelersburg in football. I couldn't tell you the last time Oak Hill even played West in football. The last win against Waverly was in 2004 (27-20, yes, against a 1-9 team). Oak Hill's last win against Valley was in 1995 or 1996. So, historically speaking, Oak Hill has invariably struggled against SOC2 competition. If the athletic department and administration feel if it's time for Wheelersburg to go to a different conference for all sports, then so be it. Maybe it's time for them to move onto greener pastures, but I doubt that they will. They haven't had a losing regular season since 1963, everything has been .500 or better for over 45 years. That's quite an accomplishment within itself, let alone the banners, the 1989 State Championship and numerous Regional championsip appearances since then. If I am not mistaken, Minford didn't even defeat Wheelersburg in football until 2000. To say some of the things many Wheelersburg posters say on here, I know it is not a true reflection of their community. In every instance of ever going to Wheelersburg for every sport, they have been nothing but respectful, including their fans. When Oak Hill moves up, of course they are going to struggle for a season or two. However, I do believe in the long run, it will help the conference in terms of competition and personally benefit Oak Hill with financial stability (the away stands for Oak Hill home games for SOC1 competition has lacked for quite some time, as well). A few bad apples on here, though, is the reason many people believe Wheelersburg is arrogant, cocky, and full of themselves. It just simply isn't the case. Prime example: one gentleman decided to call the conference as a whole, "sh*t," and thought it wouldn't be too bad of an idea for them to "get out" of the conference and go independent on a radio show that Burg has. This is a reflection of only a certain, select few who believe that their school is something on an esoteric level of dominance. Yes, they've had such consistency because of many aforementioned attributes that many communities in the area simply do not have because of financial constraints among many other things. I digress however. Oak Hill will be fine when they move up because of consistent enrollment numbers. I do not see, in the foreseeable future, Oak Hill dropping off in enrollment, which will benefit them in the long run.

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

Jason Vorhees wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:31 am When Oak Hill moves up to the SOC2 for football, they will be fine. It could take a few seasons for adjustment; however, they will be fine, and here's why. Current and future enrollment. While many schools in the area have seen a fairly quick drop off in total female and male enrollment, Oak Hill (although it has dropped some) has virtually stayed the same for quite some time, with the exception of 2008 and 2009 seasons, where they dropped to Division Four for boy's basketball. For football, they moved up one division when region realignment occurred not too long ago. Oak Hill, in football at least, has marginally, if not minutely, benefited from transfers. It just simply does not occur. There has been a few in the past, but they're always from Jackson and Wellston, and usually for more personal benefit, i.e., playing time. Oak Hill really is an island unto itself in terms of transfers. The closest SOC 1 or 2 school for football to Oak Hill is Minford and Sciotoville, both being about the same time and distance away (roughly a half hour drive from both of those communities). Plus, Jackson County itself only has three school districts in it, while Scioto County has eleven: West, Northwest, Valley, Minford, South Webster, Green, Wheelersburg, Sciotoville, New Boston, Notre Dame, and Portsmouth. The only two schools that are far away from anything is Northwest and Green in terms of driving distance. Hence, why a solid program like Wheelersburg can get an influx of talent from other schools. They're appealing to many kids. The tradition, consistency (32 SOC football titles in the past 44 years), amazing facilities, great coaching, etc. That would make it appealing to any athlete who is good from the immediate area to go there. Who doesn't like to win? However, to say that Oak Hill is "garbage" is complete fallacy. Yes, in the past four years Wheelersburg has dominated them in football, only giving up 7 points. However, you also have to look at the influx of talent "The Burg" has had these previous four years. While Oak Hill and many other schools are competing for a conference championship, Wheelersburg is in contention for the Region and potential State Championship. It's like comparing apples to oranges. Historically however, Oak Hill in football has struggled with the SOC2 in football. Prior to this year, the last win against Minford was in the 2010 playoffs, the same year Oak Hill beat Wheelersburg in football. I couldn't tell you the last time Oak Hill even played West in football. The last win against Waverly was in 2004 (27-20, yes, against a 1-9 team). Oak Hill's last win against Valley was in 1995 or 1996. So, historically speaking, Oak Hill has invariably struggled against SOC2 competition. If the athletic department and administration feel if it's time for Wheelersburg to go to a different conference for all sports, then so be it. Maybe it's time for them to move onto greener pastures, but I doubt that they will. They haven't had a losing regular season since 1963, everything has been .500 or better for over 45 years. That's quite an accomplishment within itself, let alone the banners, the 1989 State Championship and numerous Regional championsip appearances since then. If I am not mistaken, Minford didn't even defeat Wheelersburg in football until 2000. To say some of the things many Wheelersburg posters say on here, I know it is not a true reflection of their community. In every instance of ever going to Wheelersburg for every sport, they have been nothing but respectful, including their fans. When Oak Hill moves up, of course they are going to struggle for a season or two. However, I do believe in the long run, it will help the conference in terms of competition and personally benefit Oak Hill with financial stability (the away stands for Oak Hill home games for SOC1 competition has lacked for quite some time, as well). A few bad apples on here, though, is the reason many people believe Wheelersburg is arrogant, cocky, and full of themselves. It just simply isn't the case. Prime example: one gentleman decided to call the conference as a whole, "sh*t," and thought it wouldn't be too bad of an idea for them to "get out" of the conference and go independent on a radio show that Burg has. This is a reflection of only a certain, select few who believe that their school is something on an esoteric level of dominance. Yes, they've had such consistency because of many aforementioned attributes that many communities in the area simply do not have because of financial constraints among many other things. I digress however. Oak Hill will be fine when they move up because of consistent enrollment numbers. I do not see, in the foreseeable future, Oak Hill dropping off in enrollment, which will benefit them in the long run.
Quite a thesis. Lol. I agree with some points you make. Cocky, arrogant. Call it what you want. I don’t care. Wheelersburg is confident. I know you said a select few. But really when you look at what they are saying, they aren’t lying. 😆. As far as anyone calling the conference $h!t. That’s one mans opinion. And when you are looking at things from one perspective, that being beneficial to your program, you want what’s best for the program as a whole. You want a gauntlet schedule with a tough conference. You don’t want cupcake games that don’t challenge you to be better. And from your perspective, that’s what you want for OH. Don’t bash somebody for having the same POV. Burg is just at a different juncture than OH. Burg is trying to push through to a state championship. OH is trying to deal with moving up a conference. You see, it’s the same thing. You can harp all you want about being arrogant. If that’s what it is, then I guess there are a ton of people guilty of. We want our kids to succeed at a higher level. As all people do. You just can’t stomach the fact that it’s THE BURG.

Jason Vorhees
S

Post by Jason Vorhees »

I wasn't bashing. If I was to bash Wheelersburg, I would give an actual statistic such as it being the highest distributor of Oxycontin in Ohio from 2005 to 2011, including over 800,000 individual instances of Oxycontin dosage unit abuse.

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

Jason Vorhees wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:12 am I wasn't bashing. If I was to bash Wheelersburg, I would give an actual statistic such as it being the highest distributor of Oxycontin in Ohio from 2005 to 2011, including over 800,000 individual instances of Oxycontin dosage unit abuse.
:roll:

Abe Froman
S

Post by Abe Froman »

Future of the SOC lies in some yet to be determined arrangement of the SOC and OVC. With a big/small or east/west type of arrangement. Picking up Gallia, Ironton, Portsmouth would help in competition over the long term. Yes right now we are rolling through everyone but long term those games in addition to West and some existing SOC teams would provide for good gates, and remember the this new league is more that just football.

Likewise I see at some point FAC and some of the current SVC teams going to a big/small or east/west arrangement. If that happens look for Waverly to go with that arrangement.

And, the TVC Ohio division has always been looking for one more team to even them up to 8. Oak Hill is a real possibility in that selection. I have always thought they would grab Warren, but Oak Hill is not out of the question. They fit nicely with River Valley, Alexander, Wellston in football and in basketball Vinton County. So I don't think that move is out of the question.

There always has to be something that starts the ball rolling, not sure what that is, but ultimately some SOC/OVC merge looks I think to be the most likely future for some of these teams.

Sggrad06
Varsity

Post by Sggrad06 »

Abe Froman wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:03 am Future of the SOC lies in some yet to be determined arrangement of the SOC and OVC. With a big/small or east/west type of arrangement. Picking up Gallia, Ironton, Portsmouth would help in competition over the long term. Yes right now we are rolling through everyone but long term those games in addition to West and some existing SOC teams would provide for good gates, and remember the this new league is more that just football.

Likewise I see at some point FAC and some of the current SVC teams going to a big/small or east/west arrangement. If that happens look for Waverly to go with that arrangement.

And, the TVC Ohio division has always been looking for one more team to even them up to 8. Oak Hill is a real possibility in that selection. I have always thought they would grab Warren, but Oak Hill is not out of the question. They fit nicely with River Valley, Alexander, Wellston in football and in basketball Vinton County. So I don't think that move is out of the question.

There always has to be something that starts the ball rolling, not sure what that is, but ultimately some SOC/OVC merge looks I think to be the most likely future for some of these teams.

Instead of oak hill, Wouldn't gallia fit better in the tvc Ohio if this merger happens? If the ohio would take them, driving distance would be around the same for gallia. Plus would keep miegs and river valley rivalries on their schedule.

one Oak
JV Team

Post by one Oak »

Abe, I like your idea of Oak Hill being added as the 8th member of the TVC Ohio. I posted on another topic earlier this year that Oak Hill could make that move and South Gallia could replace us in the SOC 1. They did apply along with Portsmouth before and were turned down. That would make two 8 team division in the TVC. However, the TVC posters on here seem to like their league as it is.

Your other suggestion of an OVC merger could work too, but I don't know if the OVC has any good reason to change. Oak Hill is in a tough position of being too big for the SOC 1 and not being able to compete with the Burg and maybe others in the SOC 2. It doesn't seem like we're wanted in either division.

Seabee_0586
Varsity

Post by Seabee_0586 »

I think oak hill would do better in the TVC just my opinion

SOC 1
art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Update: same guy I talked to earlier from Northwest now saying Northwest staying in SOC I through at least 2021. That should make the Burg folks happy.*

Izladoom
All State

Post by Izladoom »

I’d like to see valley playing oak hill and northwest again. While it’s been fun the last few years seeing them play new teams and having a small road trip it’s getting harder to make it to all of the games. Plus with valley being down for now they would probably be pretty good games.

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

Oak Hill has flirted with joining the TVC in the past. I'm not against Oak Hill joining, but my preference is to see Warren back in the TVC first.

one Oak
JV Team

Post by one Oak »

Izladoom, according to Arbiter, Valley and Nortwest are playing on 9/27/19. So Valley will be playing both them and Oak Hill.

Return to “Football”