Portsmouth West. Vs Wheelersburg Pirates Updates

JTEK
All State

Re: Portsmouth West. Vs Wheelersburg Pirates Updates

Post by JTEK »

After watching game on tv I’m not sure the ball didn’t cross the goal line on 2 of those kickoffs that were brought back. Correct call on the block being talked about above but I’m old school that was a hell of a block

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

fbnut wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:44 am
gobengals wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:52 am
wobycat wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:35 am

Officials were fine but anything but phenomenal. Picture evidence of the pass from west qb shows the official not looking at the QB who is about a whole yard out of bounds.
I haven't seen any evidence so I can't refute what you say. But I will say this, if he wasn't looking at the QB then he was looking downfield. He has to do that because he has primary responsibility for watching the receiver. He is the only official who can rule whether or not the receiver caught the ball inbounds. The back judge is out in the middle of the field and cannot see the out of bounds play to make that call. This is one of those situations when having five officials is not enough. If there were seven officials, there would have been another downfield official who would have had responsibility for ruling on the receiver making the catch. The line judge that you referred to could have then stayed home to rule on the QB being in bounds or out of bounds. He may have missed the call but it was not due to incompetence on his part. It's just a matter of not being able to see everything that he needed to see.
Just curious what do you tell the coach in that situation if you really have know idea if he was out or in on the release?
Why wouldn't the official be able to see the QB since that is where the ball is then take the .0002 seconds it takes to turn your head towards the receiver to see if he catches it or not. But I guess he is only human and not Superman. Lol. Missed call in my opinion, but there are always a few every game. Overall good job by officials. Great win Burg!!!!

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

Mad-Dogg wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:53 pm
Jolly P(irate) wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:49 pm
Mad-Dogg wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:40 pm

Doubt it would be jackson. They could still be in the playoffs
Nope. Not gonna happen.
What won't happen
Jackson playing in week 13.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

gobengals wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:24 am

The personal foul was an illegal blind side block. That is a new rule this season. Basically the rule states that anytime a defender doesn't see the block coming, the blocker must use his open hands to block him. If he uses any other body part with force (shoulder, forearm, head, etc) then it is illegal.

Regarding the kick offs in the end zone, it is the position of the ball, not the player, that determines if it is a touchback. The player did step into the end zone but he caught the ball outside the end zone. Therefore it is not a touchback. The ball never touched the goal line.

By the way, that official on the Burg sideline is considered to be one of the best within officiating circles. He has worked several state finals. From my perspective, he did a phenomenal job tonight!
Officials were fine but anything but phenomenal. Picture evidence of the pass from west qb shows the official not looking at the QB who is about a whole yard out of bounds.
I haven't seen any evidence so I can't refute what you say. But I will say this, if he wasn't looking at the QB then he was looking downfield. He has to do that because he has primary responsibility for watching the receiver. He is the only official who can rule whether or not the receiver caught the ball inbounds. The back judge is out in the middle of the field and cannot see the out of bounds play to make that call. This is one of those situations when having five officials is not enough. If there were seven officials, there would have been another downfield official who would have had responsibility for ruling on the receiver making the catch. The line judge that you referred to could have then stayed home to rule on the QB being in bounds or out of bounds. He may have missed the call but it was not due to incompetence on his part. It's just a matter of not being able to see everything that he needed to see.
Picture evidence shows he was looking right at him and if that play would have matter in the game, I would have made overseer of the officials know it because he was way out of bounds.

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

wobycat wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:40 am

Picture evidence shows he was looking right at him and if that play would have matter in the game, I would have made overseer of the officials know it because he was way out of bounds.
Yea. He was watching the qb the whole way. I was in the end zone and watched it. No way the kid was in bounds. Then, 2 plays in a row Burg scores and he marks them down before the goal line. Lol. He may have worked som finals and be considered one of the best in his little circle but he was an absolute joke last night. Lol. He was the only one that was not a top notch official.

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

And just to clarify, if the returners foot is in the end zone it IS a touchback. Same with downing a punt. Doesn’t matter where the ball is.

Neutron Man
All State

Post by Neutron Man »

Yeah he CLEARLY was out of bounds AND the official IS looking at him! Neither here nor there, BUT there is your proof!
Human error is fine, but this also is the same crew that said Holden was out of bounds in Jackson on the TD. (Also proven wrong!)
Attachments
resize.jpg
resize.jpg (16.93 KiB) Viewed 2203 times

PirateBB
Freshman Team

Post by PirateBB »

Neutron Man wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:27 am Yeah he CLEARLY was out of bounds AND the official IS looking at him! Neither here nor there, BUT there is your proof!
Human error is fine, but this also is the same crew that said Holden was out of bounds in Jackson on the TD. (Also proven wrong!)
Lol! I saw the same thing in person and on tv! Spectrum actually replayed it and showed it.

With the 2 kickoffs where he is in the end zone and the 2 marked spots short of TD, lots of questionable. oh well, you control only what you can, and you can't control the bad calls

Keep it rolling Burg!

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

PirateBB wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:37 am
Neutron Man wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:27 am Yeah he CLEARLY was out of bounds AND the official IS looking at him! Neither here nor there, BUT there is your proof!
Lol! I saw the same thing in person and on tv! Spectrum actually replayed it and showed it.

With the 2 kickoffs where he is in the end zone and the 2 marked spots short of TD, lots of questionable. oh well, you control only what you can, and you can't control the bad calls

Keep it rolling Burg!
I agree on human error. That’s why they have replay in college. For example, I think Salyers fumbled the ball but that was hard to see. This one was in his face

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

PirateBB wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:37 am

Keep it rolling Burg!
Yep. It all amounted to nothing anyway

gobengals
Waterboy

Post by gobengals »

Jolly P(irate) wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:48 am And just to clarify, if the returners foot is in the end zone it IS a touchback. Same with downing a punt. Doesn’t matter where the ball is.
Incorrect. Per the rule book, the BALL has to break the plane of the goal line. On both a free kick and a scrimmage kick.

The free kick or the scrimmage kick ends when a receiving team player possesses the ball. So if he fields it at the one yard line and his momentum takes him back into the end zone, it is still not a touchback. He can return it. If he downs the ball in the end zone in this example, then it will be first and ten at the one yard line. It is not a safety nor does the receiving team get the ball at the 20 yard line. The momentum rule applies inside the 5 yard line.

In Friday’s game, the West player fielded the ball at or near the one yard line, with a foot on or behind the goal line. Since the free kick, before he possessed it, did not cross the plane of the goal line, then it is not a touchback. That’s pretty basic stuff for any experienced official.

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

This place was packed... Such a great atmosphere.

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
gobengals
Waterboy

Post by gobengals »

fbnut wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:44 am

Just curious what do you tell the coach in that situation if you really have know idea if he was out or in on the release?
Honesty is the best policy. Just tell the coach that you didn’t see see it. Coaches normally appreciate honesty. They understand that officials are going to make mistakes. They know that there has never been a perfectly officiated game, just as there has never been a perfectly coached game, or a perfectly played game by the players. Coach still may not like it but most respect honesty.

scott1297
All Conference

Post by scott1297 »

Great game great atmosphere and from what I heard the attendance was somewhere in between 4 and 5,000 fans and IMO I thought the officiating was fine and once Burg got settled in they dominated

Burg grad 85
ohwkGREATNESSyrio
All Conference

Post by ohwkGREATNESSyrio »

Just like everyone not from west said they would do.

I AM HARMS WAY. Life is a knive fight. Bring guns for the fun.
Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Congrats Burg and good luck to both them and West next week.

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

ohwkGREATNESSyrio wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:18 am Just like everyone not from west said they would do.
😂

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

The worst call he made all night though was the illegal procedure he called on the Burg AFTER they scored the TD. IP is a dead ball foul that should have stopped the play before it started. He missed or messed up way to many calls to be called phenomenal!! JS

bleed_blue
Varsity

Post by bleed_blue »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:06 pm The worst call he made all night though was the illegal procedure he called on the Burg AFTER they scored the TD. IP is a dead ball foul that should have stopped the play before it started. He missed or messed up way to many calls to be called phenomenal!! JS
That call was an illegal formation. It was just announced wrong at the game.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

He also missed an obvious block in the back on Wheelersburgs #10 on West's first punt that should have backed Wheelersburg up inside the 10. And #10 punched #38 for West right after that on the same side. Stuff goes both ways. It's high school.

Wheelersburg is a very good team. Their speed and formations are hard to adjust to. The McNeil boy hurting his knee and Berry out makes West very thin at DB and Linebacker. I thought West done alot of really good things. Wheelersburg stacked the box with 8 and really went hard down hill to stop the run. Bradford did well throwing.

Those are the kind've games that make you better. I say there is a good chance we play again.

Return to “Football”