2017 Playoffs Wheelersburg 34 Johnstown Monroe 7

14svt
JV Team

Re: Johnstown Monroe v Wheelersburg

Post by 14svt »

doubleplay643 wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:27 am
14svt wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:21 am Quit comparing Jackson to Johnstown Not the same
I am a Jackson fan that attended the game last night, I didn't compare them if your quote is referring to me. I am just hoping the site selection is close again next week.
Sorry I didn’t mean you
Put the site close to Columbus

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

14svt wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:21 am Quit comparing Jackson to Johnstown Not the same
Very similar. But you’re right. Monroe’s line is smaller. They don’t get as good of a push. And they don’t have a McCoy in the backfield. Burg will shut them down. Just wait. We’ll have the crow waiting for you after the game. Don’t forget to show back up and take your share.

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

doubleplay643 wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:07 am Enjoyed the game in Chillicothe last night.

Sat on the Columbus Academy side, got there early and was one of about 20 people lol until kick-off and it started to fill up. A lot of Jackson, Oak Hill and Wellston fans there watching, probably half of the stands were neutral observers. Ended up sitting in front of Greg Schiano, OSU D-Coordinator, who had senior twins playing on the team.

Even after it was 13-0 it really never felt like Burg was out of it, they had some turnovers and really bad field position all night. Maybe it is me watching them for the last 5-6 years but you never had the sense they were in real trouble. I thought the kid did a good job against Holden in the first half and Academy used their quickness to defeat what Burg was trying to do with their offense. I was curious as to what they would try after halftime and they did not disappoint. Simply came out and defeated CA's quickness and went heavy and unbalanced and ran the ball at will.

I knew the onside kick and fake punt were coming at some point and they did not disappoint lol, the success average has to be > 75% on those. And I knew they were going to sneak someone off the line after they ran it 10 times in a row and try and catch CA napping, they did, but that was defended well. CA dressed maybe 30 kids, but I thought they were well coached, disciplined and had a game plan to try and win the game but Burg too many horses.

I hope the Johnstown game is in Chillicothe again, I doubt OSHAA cares to much about if Burg was there already. Is Athens a possibility? About 1.5 hours each way to Athens probably.

I think the Johnstown game will be a good game but I still like Burg's chances if the Johnny's are a heavy run team. Burg has so much depth and is able to rotate people in defensively that I am not sure a constant run pounding offense will be successful over the long term.

Good luck to both teams, I have to root for SEO and would like to see them go as far as they can.
Nice run down DP.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

The comparison was made with the playing style being quite similar or at least sounds that way from what people are describing and no not the same in that Jackson had the speedster McCoy in the backfield. Both teams also sport very large bands. If you have a problem with comparisons go pound sand.
Last edited by greygoose on Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

doubleplay643
S

Post by doubleplay643 »

14svt sounds like you are the lone JJ fan here so far or at least the one who knows some about the team.

Can you give some of us some insight for those of us that haven't seen you play? What was your signature win this year? How many seniors or multi-year starters? Is this your first year in DV, I think you guys have been DIV and always ran into Big Red.

Thanks

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Hamilton township would be total BS for this game but you know what, Burg will play anybody anywhere anytime. Bring it on!!!

No one, I mean NO ONE has had success running the ball against the Burg”s defense all season. I’ve been watching Burg football for over 40 years and this is the best run defense I’ve watched at the Burg. If JM can’t throw to keep Burg honest than they will stack the line and make it hard for them to run the ball.

One thing I’m not seeing talked about is JM’s defense! Will they be able to stop the spread offense or will they be able to stop the power running game that reared it’s head up last night.

BurgGrad6
SE

Post by BurgGrad6 »

This should be a good game. Don’t see Johnstown being able to run all game though. They will have to throw at some point.. lol pretty dominating performance against west last night.
As for burg, they surprised me with that power running game. Burg has done a good job all year at taking what the defense gives them and last night was no difference. As for this game, Johnstown has a significant size advantage. Burg has the speed. Like stated earlier it will be a clash of styles. In my experience though speed wins most of the time. I’ll take the pirates by 10 in a low scoring game.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:44 am Hamilton township would be total BS for this game but you know what, Burg will play anybody anywhere anytime. Bring it on!!!

No one, I mean NO ONE has had success running the ball against the Burg”s defense all season. I’ve been watching Burg football for over 40 years and this is the best run defense I’ve watched at the Burg. If JM can’t throw to keep Burg honest than they will stack the line and make it hard for them to run the ball.

One thing I’m not seeing talked about is JM’s defense! Will they be able to stop the spread offense or will they be able to stop the power running game that reared it’s head up last night.
I think from just going off the score and stats of the West and JM game, I'd give JM the edge in being able to stop or slow down the power running game. I think Burg will use the spread offense and that will be their running game, not really go toe to toe when you know you have an advantage elsewhere. Same deal when they played Jackson they didn't stand toe to toe they used their athletes'. JM coming off games against the Oaks and West they've played power football teams first 2 weeks of the playoffs so far. Probably not an avenue I'd try first.

laser breath
Varsity

Post by laser breath »

greygoose wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:49 am
yabbadabbadoo wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:44 am Hamilton township would be total BS for this game but you know what, Burg will play anybody anywhere anytime. Bring it on!!!

I think from just going off the score and stats of the West and JM game, I'd give JM the edge in being able to stop or slow down the power running game. I think Burg will use the spread offense and that will be their running game, not really go toe to toe when you know you have an advantage elsewhere. Same deal when they played Jackson they didn't stand toe to toe they used their athletes'. JM coming off games against the Oaks and West they've played power football teams first 2 weeks of the playoffs so far. Probably not an avenue I'd try first.
West and Oak Hill are not Burg

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

BurgGrad6 wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:48 am This should be a good game. Don’t see Johnstown being able to run all game though. They will have to throw at some point.. lol pretty dominating performance against west last night.
As for burg, they surprised me with that power running game. Burg has done a good job all year at taking what the defense gives them and last night was no difference. As for this game, Johnstown has a significant size advantage. Burg has the speed. Like stated earlier it will be a clash of styles. In my experience though speed wins most of the time. I’ll take the pirates by 10 in a low scoring game.
Yep. It’s going to be a great game. Low scoring slobber knocker. But I wouldn’t be surprised if Burg pulls away in the forth for a 14-17 point win.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

I don’t really consider West and Oak Hill power running teams. Burg totally dominated both of them and neither game was close. JM was only up 14-0 on OH at half so they finally wore OH down which won’t happen with Burg. This team doesn’t get wore down because of the amount of players they use on both sides of the ball

Looking at JM schedule they had another common opponent in Heath. Burg beat them 41-0 at Heath and could have scored whatever they wanted and JM beat Heath 48-8.

Seems like both Burg and JM are pretty even with me giving Burg the slight advantage especially on the defensive side of the ball.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

laser breath wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:51 am

And???? I'm sure those aren't the only 2 teams that presented running games against JM. What because it's Burg attached to the name all of a sudden JM won't be able to slow down or stop a power running game??? It's already been stated JM will have a size advantage inside. Burg used a power game against an undersized and fast defense because the other stuff simply wasn't working. What makes you think they're going to go into a game against a team like JM, who's capable of going toe to toe with a power running game, and win that battle instead of using the advantage they know they have speed??

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

greygoose wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:04 am

And???? I'm sure those aren't the only 2 teams that presented running games against JM. What because it's Burg attached to the name all of a sudden JM won't be able to slow down or stop a power running game??? It's already been stated JM will have a size advantage inside. Burg used a power game against an undersized and fast defense because the other stuff simply wasn't working. What makes you think they're going to go into a game against a team like JM, who's capable of going toe to toe with a power running game, and win that battle instead of using the advantage they know they have speed??
Burg may line it up and go toe to toe. 😂. However, I think they will use their advantages outside. Reyes to the edge. Horsley and Clevenger Between the tackles. They will spread them out and make them defend everything at once.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Jolly P(irate) wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:11 am
greygoose wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:04 am

Burg may line it up and go toe to toe. 😂. However, I think they will use their advantages outside. Reyes to the edge. Horsley and Clevenger Between the tackles. They will spread them out and make them defend everything at once.
Exactly that's my point, Burg has done a really good job this year of using what works and where they have the advantage. I don't see that being any different in this one. You got an advantage use it, the other team has an advantage or is their strength avoid it until you get them vulnerable to being attacked at the strength.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

I do think this will be a dandy game and hoping to take this one in, either this one or NY and I'd like to see JM play personally.

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

can someone please explain something to me. i've seen posts saying that chillicothe wouldn't be fair to them b/c we played there last night. zane trace wouldn't be fair to us b/c monroe played there last night. waverly wouldn't be fair to them b/c it's closer to us. how the HELL wouldn't hamilton township be fair when that is closer to them

It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog. (D Jay on Hustle & Flow)

Fearless Bold Tough
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain
Reach Higher
Power Of One
Respect The W
Be The Best
The Flash
Varsity

Post by The Flash »

Mad-Dogg wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:24 am can someone please explain something to me. i've seen posts saying that chillicothe wouldn't be fair to them b/c we played there last night. zane trace wouldn't be fair to us b/c monroe played there last night. waverly wouldn't be fair to them b/c it's closer to us. how the HELL wouldn't hamilton township be fair when that is closer to them
OHSAA do as OHSAA does

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

Mad-Dogg wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:24 am can someone please explain something to me. i've seen posts saying that chillicothe wouldn't be fair to them b/c we played there last night. zane trace wouldn't be fair to us b/c monroe played there last night. waverly wouldn't be fair to them b/c it's closer to us. how the HELL wouldn't hamilton township be fair when that is closer to them
All fans want to be selfish when it comes to a host site. I didn’t think this needed said again, but here we go. The OHSAA does not care what the fans think or want. They care about money and money only. So, with that being said. What site gives them the biggest revenue? The answer is Chillicothe.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Oh I fully expect it to be at Chillicothe, believe smurray made a statement on another thread not sure if it's in this one that they wouldn't have Burg playing at Chillicothe in back to back weeks that's why he though Waverly was the better option. He's just hoping his team can host, I only stated if that was the case I think it would go farther north to Hamilton Township which I know is a lot closer to them. I expect it to be at Chillicothe, just fear that outside shot of HT.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Waverly couldn’t handle the crowd two years ago in the regional final when Burg played Zane Trace. I expect JM to bring more fans and everyone knows what kind of crowd Burg brings.

Also last night I saw people there from Waverly, Jackson, Wellston and a lot of different towns. Look for this game to have a huge crowd.

Return to “Football”