State Champs Wheelersburg 21- Eastwood 14

#ReachHigher
Riding the Bench

Re: D5 State Championship: Wheelersburg vs Pemberville Eastwood

Post by #ReachHigher »

CavalierAlum05 wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:03 pm Wait.... This game isn't at Herrnstein Field?!?!?!! Enjoyed the past 3 weeks.

Last week Burg fans were saying the same thing about Madison. Learn your lesson and dont be confused about schedules and on paper stats. Heck, there was even mention MAdison didnt look all that great on film. No way Burg coaches will allow a let down. You may lose, but it wont be for not showing up.
Madison was excellent! In my opinion if they played any of the other 2, Madison would be going to Canton

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

CavalierAlum05 wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:03 pm Wait.... This game isn't at Herrnstein Field?!?!?!! Enjoyed the past 3 weeks.
No such luck, but whether it is 1 or 4 hours away, the Burg faithful will be there to back the team!! I never heard an official number, but any idea what the attendance was last Friday? I would imagine it was one of the largest Chillicothe has ever seen

BurgGrad6
SE

Post by BurgGrad6 »

#ReachHigher wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:08 pm

Last week Burg fans were saying the same thing about Madison. Learn your lesson and dont be confused about schedules and on paper stats. Heck, there was even mention MAdison didnt look all that great on film. No way Burg coaches will allow a let down. You may lose, but it wont be for not showing up.
Madison was excellent! In my opinion if they played any of the other 2, Madison would be going to Canton
Madison was really good. However, burg shot themselves In the foot a few times. Tanner dropped 2 passes that would have went to the house.. and dyer was over thrown by about 6inces that would have gone for 6 as well. Now with Eastwood I think their defense is a little better than Madison’s. I think the do a better job at the db positions. Also I think Eastwood’s offense is better. Even though they run the same thing I think Eastwood has more speed. This is going to be burgs toughes game yet. Burg will have to have their best game of the season to win it. Trent will have to go through his progressions and not just look for Holden. The o and d lines will have to be on their a game. Dline will have to hold their gaps and keep the offense off of the line backers. And the oline will have to give Trent more time to read the field.

Sport Fan
JV Team

Post by Sport Fan »

Seabee_0586 wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:17 am
scott1297 wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:52 pm Gonna be one heck of a game both teams are averaging about the same on offense and defense. Burg has had a tougher schedule but not by much.Burg #19 toughest Eastwood #24 toughest. But I do think that Burg had a tougher road to the title game. Also the Eagles and Burg are wery quick and fast to the ball on defense. IMO the Burg is more well rounded on offense.The Eagles tend to run way more than pass. On paper this is pretty much a toss up so I think whoever executes the best and has the least mistakes will win this game. Burg is my pick ofcourse and good luck to both teams for an injury free game. GO BURG 27 to 14
How can you say burgs offense is well rounded when the last 2 games their offense has been no where to be found and the reason burg racked up so many points in the regular season is because of not so good teams yes I’m rooting for the burg but please don’t pound your chest about how good your offense is my rant is over GO BURG

LOL, The last game was the only game so far this year that they only scored 15 points.. The week before they scored 35 point just in the second half by power running ... Well rounded I would say...

PirateBB
Freshman Team

Post by PirateBB »

Question.... Burg scored 15 points Friday in the Semi-Final Game to get to state finals. Somebody said that Burg scored 15 points in 1989 in the Semi-Final game and then went to win the state.

Can anyone confirm that?

CavalierAlum05
Varsity

Post by CavalierAlum05 »

4thgoal wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:24 pm
No such luck, but whether it is 1 or 4 hours away, the Burg faithful will be there to back the team!! I never heard an official number, but any idea what the attendance was last Friday? I would imagine it was one of the largest Chillicothe has ever seen
I am only 31 years old so i can only speak of what i remember. And from what i remember its not even close. This was the largest crowd for a FOOTBALL game. Herrnstein holds about 3,500 i believe. Count the standing and i bet we were around 6k last Friday.
Note to Chillicothe Athletic department. We need stands in the end zones for bands next playoff season!

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

I think BG6 has said it best so far. Our defense will have to be lights out once again. Do I think they can do it? Hell yea. Do I think that State Championship Trophy is coming down to Southern Ohio? darn right I do.

I still think we will see the emergence of our power running game again this week. Our short passes, jet sweeps, read options and the likes aren’t going to get us anywhere against this defense. I say, line up in the full house and pound the rock. I bet if we do that we win by 14 or more. We are bigger, faster and stronger than they are.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

I’ll say this. If Eastwood can run over burg for the state championship, then they deserve the title because I’ve never seen a better defense in person besides cold water two years ago.

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

wobycat wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:34 pm I’ll say this. If Eastwood can run over burg for the state championship, then they deserve the title because I’ve never seen a better defense in person besides cold water two years ago.
I’ll second that.

#ReachHigher
Riding the Bench

Post by #ReachHigher »

BurgGrad6 wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:34 pm

Madison was really good. However, burg shot themselves In the foot a few times. Tanner dropped 2 passes that would have went to the house.. and dyer was over thrown by about 6inces that would have gone for 6 as well. Now with Eastwood I think their defense is a little better than Madison’s. I think the do a better job at the db positions. Also I think Eastwood’s offense is better. Even though they run the same thing I think Eastwood has more speed. This is going to be burgs toughes game yet. Burg will have to have their best game of the season to win it. Trent will have to go through his progressions and not just look for Holden. The o and d lines will have to be on their a game. Dline will have to hold their gaps and keep the offense off of the line backers. And the oline will have to give Trent more time to read the field.
I agree with Dyer but I’m not sure Tanner would have went to the house on either. I watched a little film and I didn’t see Eastwood any faster than the Johnnies. I agree with this being our toughest yet but that goes both ways.

Seabee_0586
Varsity

Post by Seabee_0586 »

Proud_Pirate63 wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:27 am
scott1297 wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:52 pm Gonna be one heck of a game both teams are averaging about the same on offense and defense. Burg has had a tougher schedule but not by much.Burg #19 toughest Eastwood #24 toughest. But I do think that Burg had a tougher road to the title game. Also the Eagles and Burg are wery quick and fast to the ball on defense. IMO the Burg is more well rounded on offense.The Eagles tend to run way more than pass. On paper this is pretty much a toss up so I think whoever executes the best and has the least mistakes will win this game. Burg is my pick ofcourse and good luck to both teams for an injury free game. GO BURG 27 to 14
How can you say burgs offense is well rounded when the last 2 games their offense has been no where to be found and the reason burg racked up so many points in the regular season is because of not so good teams yes I’m rooting for the burg but please don’t pound your chest about how good your offense is my rant is over GO BURG

I believe he meant Burg’s offense was more well rounded compared to Eastwood’s. Burg’s is maybe a 70/30, 80/20 pass/run team where as Eastwood is a 90/10, 95/5 pass/ run team.
Onto my next point.....BURG WINS THIS GAME!! Doesn’t matter by 1 or 100 points.
I didn’t mean for it to come out mean... I want the burg to win I would even root for ironton if they were in the championship game

SOC 1
#ReachHigher
Riding the Bench

Post by #ReachHigher »

Sport Fan wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:40 pm

LOL, The last game was the only game so far this year that they only scored 15 points.. The week before they scored 35 point just in the second half by power running ... Well rounded I would say...
The week before they had a 28-0 halftime lead on the Johnnies people! CA game was the week before that! Get it right!

#ReachHigher
Riding the Bench

Post by #ReachHigher »

PirateBB wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:55 pm Question.... Burg scored 15 points Friday in the Semi-Final Game to get to state finals. Somebody said that Burg scored 15 points in 1989 in the Semi-Final game and then went to win the state.

Can anyone confirm that?
I can 100% confirm that. Won the championship 14-7. Defeated Versailles 15-7 then defeated Warren John F. Kennedy 14-7
Last edited by #ReachHigher on Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

#ReachHigher wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:05 pm
BurgGrad6 wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:34 pm

I agree with Dyer but I’m not sure Tanner would have went to the house on either. I watched a little film and I didn’t see Eastwood any faster than the Johnnies. I agree with this being our toughest yet but that goes both ways.
The first one Holden dropped, he would have went. He nothing but open field in front of him. They over pursued. The second would have been a decent gain. Dyer was wide open.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

PirateBB wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:55 pm Question.... Burg scored 15 points Friday in the Semi-Final Game to get to state finals. Somebody said that Burg scored 15 points in 1989 in the Semi-Final game and then went to win the state.

Can anyone confirm that?

In 89 all playoff games were played at a neutral site. In the first round they beat Brookville at Spartan stadium 20-14. They then beat Coal Grove, again at Spartan 28-26. They then beat Versailles at Groveport Madison HS ( people complaining about Chillicothe being bad for a state semifinal. This field was horrible) 15-7 and then Warren JFK 14-7 for the championship. The 89 team was playing with a lot of emotions as they had dedicated the playoffs to teammate Eric Wallace who had suffered a severe brain injury in the last game of the regular season. Lot of people may not know this but when the team got back to the school I had always heard they had voted to skip the playoffs because of what had happened but then decided to play the games for Eric. Glad they did because it was a wonderful 4 weeks of football.

This years team has already broken the school record for most games played in a season, 15 and can break the record of 14 wins by the 89 team with win no. 15 on Friday.

BLANK75
Waterboy

Post by BLANK75 »

It is definitely an honor to make it to the Championship Game! This bunch of Seniors say you can keep your honor. They won't accept anything but the hardware. You won't see a better defense than what Madison had. What it wiil come down to is 3 things. #1 Depth! Wheelersburg wears a good team out by kids going only 1 way and subbing in other players of equal ability. Look at #16 Salyers who caught the winning pass Friday. It was his first varsity reception all year but the coaching staff still had the confidence in him #2 Turnovers. They definitely change the momentum in the big games #3 Special Teams. Probably the most important. Look at the fumbled snap for Madison and the roughing the passer. The roughing the passer could have cost us the game!!! It didn't though because our defense rose above it. Anyway good luck too both teams on a injury free and great game!!!!!

BLANK75
Waterboy

Post by BLANK75 »

I too can confirm it. Touchdown 6 Eric Kelley missed the p.a.t, Field goal 3 on a Pete Ruby 36 yard field goal early in the 4th, 6 with time running out on a Chris Ellis interception with time running out. Once again missed p.a.t. by Matt Miller for a total of 15. I was a senior in this game so it's fact. Versailles scored early in the game with a made p.a.t. Penalties plagued us all night but we held on with Mark Miller knocking a Versailles pass down on 4th down late in the 4th deep in our territory

#ReachHigher
Riding the Bench

Post by #ReachHigher »

BLANK75 wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:35 pm I too can confirm it. Touchdown 6 Eric Kelley missed the p.a.t, Field goal 3 on a Pete Ruby 36 yard field goal early in the 4th, 6 with time running out on a Chris Ellis interception with time running out. Once again missed p.a.t. by Matt Miller for a total of 15. I was a senior in this game so it's fact. Versailles scored early in the game with a made p.a.t. Penalties plagued us all night but we held on with Mark Miller knocking a Versailles pass down on 4th down late in the 4th deep in our territory
Wouldn’t it be AWESOME to win this thing 14-7 Friday? #GoBurg #ReachHigher

BLANK75
Waterboy

Post by BLANK75 »

I wouldn't be surprised at all. Destiny is Destiny I just hope that's what the man upstairs has in the books for us

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

Holden receives Co-Offensive POY 1st Team All State WR
Trent Salyers 1st Team All State QB
Nic Parsley 1st Team All State DL
Xander Carmichael 1st Team All State LB
Jeremy Cooper 1st Team All State OL
http://ohsaa.org/news-media/articles/Ar ... -Announced

Return to “Football”